Re-Signing Mcclure Is Great! This Is Why...

I made a post about a month ago regarding this same topic. I mentioned that Re-signing McClure, in my opinion, would be a great idea. Have an open mind, and just go with me on this....Hes kinda like our "Jeff Saturday".

Matt Ryan has voiced how important McClure has been to his development. McClure has anchored our O-Line for a very long time, and I believe that he can still play very well if he stays healthy. In the event of an injury, he can provide experience and leadership in other ways to our team. There is no doubt that Joe Hawley would be the starting center if we didnt re-sign McClure, but now it gives Hawley some freedom to play guard if needed. Hawley had a solid rookie season playing both positions last year. So basically, with the re-signing of McClure, we just gained another guard in Hawley. Add the signing of Manuwai from Jacksonville, another guard...and you can almost guarantee in the draft or in the pre-season we go after a tackle.

This was a solid re-sign by our Atlanta Falcons. Great Job!!

I like the move so it keeps Sloppy Joe Fat *** Hawley on the bench. This move goes to show the Falcons have no faith in the wasted picks of Hawley and Reynolds. Thank you Falcons for finally opening your eyes on the weakness of the offensive line. I still think the Falcons will get a center in draft or after.

I like the move so it keeps Sloppy Joe Fat *** Hawley on the bench. This move goes to show the Falcons have no faith in the wasted picks of Hawley and Reynolds. Thank you Falcons for finally opening your eyes on the weakness of the offensive line. I still think the Falcons will get a center in draft or after.

I don't think so at all. Hawley gets a shot to start this year. McClure's probably going to be insurance. I don't know if Hawley's going to beat out McClure but he's going to get every opportunity

As far as Reynolds goes the man's a RT not a RG, He started 1 (ONE) game as a RT against Duke in his sophomore year in 2006 until last year. He IS a good RT. I don't know why everybody thinks he's a guard all of a sudden. I think if Clabo had been moved inside and Reynolds started at RT the line would have looked very different last year.

Urine idiot

That does not mean that they have no faith in their wasted picks. McClure graded out as one of the best Centers in football last year. There are plenty of Centers who can play at a high level very late in their career. Why the heck would we not resign him (assuming he is not wanting to break the bank)? He has been the starting Center for over a decade and we signed him to a 1 year very reasonable contract. It was a very smart move.

Like the other poster said it will allow Hawley 1 more year to play some guard/center and learn from McClure. Thats the same reason why I think we should draft Gonzalez's replacement this year. You can't put a value on learning from one of the best Centers in football and the best TE to every play the game.

I made a post about a month ago regarding this same topic. I mentioned that Re-signing McClure, in my opinion, would be a great idea. Have an open mind, and just go with me on this....Hes kinda like our "Jeff Saturday".

Matt Ryan has voiced how important McClure has been to his development. McClure has anchored our O-Line for a very long time, and I believe that he can still play very well if he stays healthy. In the event of an injury, he can provide experience and leadership in other ways to our team. There is no doubt that Joe Hawley would be the starting center if we didnt re-sign McClure, but now it gives Hawley some freedom to play guard if needed. Hawley had a solid rookie season playing both positions last year. So basically, with the re-signing of McClure, we just gained another guard in Hawley. Add the signing of Manuwai from Jacksonville, another guard...and you can almost guarantee in the draft or in the pre-season we go after a tackle.

This was a solid re-sign by our Atlanta Falcons. Great Job!!

I agree with you on everything but the solid season for Hawley at GUARD. Dude sucked it up. If I was Matt I would have kicked him in the ***

I remember watching McClure on Dblock with the "McClure for probowl" hat. I think the team respects him and his ability. . . Some people have brought up his push on 4th down and his inability to execute on the screen as his weaknesses. I hope our new oline coach can teach an old dog new tricks

I highly doubt that Falcons have any confidence in Reynolds, Hawley or Johnson. If the Falcons or any of us fans really saw those guys as starters, there would be no need to get Manuwai or Mcclure back. I am just a Hawley, Reynolds and Johnson hater. I have all the love for the Falcons and I want to see them get an offensive line that can push for 5 inches. We don't need to use these out of shape, worthless draft picks in the young guys we have on the offensive line.

QB-Ryan, Redman

WR-White, Cone

WR-Jones, Meier

WR-Douglas, _______

TE-Gonzalez, Palmer, _______

RB-Turner, Snelling, Rodgers, (Smith or _______)

FB-Mughelli

LT-Baker, Svitek

LG-Blalock, Johnson

OC-McClure, Hawley

RG-Manuwai, Jackson

RT-Clabo, Jackson

RDE-Abraham, Biermann

RDT-Peters, Walker

LDT-Babinaux, Jerry

LDE-Edwards, Sidbury, Matthews

WLB-Weatherspoon, Adkins

MLB-Tatupa, Dent

SLB-Nicholas, _______

RCB-Robinson, Walls

NCB-Franks, _______

FS-DeCoud, Shillinger

SS-Moore, _______

LCB-Grimes, Owens

K-Bryant

P-Bosher

S-Zelenka

The best thing about McClure re-signing is one less position to draft. We have 6 picks and 6 spots that are either void a free agent from last year or just a position that could use an eye toward the future.

WR-To replace Weems, I would like a guy that can play offense as well as PR.

TE-To replace Kelly, We could get a future starter early or a one dimensional late.

RB-If a feature back were there in rd 2 I would grab next years starter now.

NB-This will probably be #55, especially if Boykin is there. Essentially a starter, early pick a must.

SS-Sanders could re-up. If not we need a depth STer late.

SLB-A mid rd future starter type would be best here to push Nicholas.

I agree. I like that we have kept alot of our guys...its a feeling of "Un-finished business".

The reason the business is unfinished is because a lot of our guys are inadequate to the task at hand: winning in the playoffs and ultimately winning a championship. McClure was very good, but was never great, and is now too old. He was clearly unable to develop much of a push in the middle on short yardage.

The reason the business is unfinished is because a lot of our guys are inadequate to the task at hand: winning in the playoffs and ultimately winning a championship. McClure was very good, but was never great, and is now too old. He was clearly unable to develop much of a push in the middle on short yardage.

I disagree. We have won alot of games with alot of our current players. We NOW have a much better coaching staff than we did in years past. Keeping our core together was important, and McClure is a huge part of our O-Line success. Past, and Present.

I made a post a good while back where I was fussing about Hawley and how terrible he was, especially at Center. Another poster cited some stats (danm stats....happy.png ) showing that McClure's numbers his first year weren't all that much different.

I wanted ATL to go after a C to learn from McClure. The other poster said he felt that Hawley was just that - our center in training. Hawley did look better at G, and better as the season progressed. Thus, I am off of Hawley's case and willing to see if he does indeed improve with another year (and a preseason) of experience. For now, I'm pulling for him to do just that.

Edited by rightsaidfred

And how many were playoff games? Because playoffs and championships are the only games that really matter.

True. But lets give MOST of our current team, the same team that hasn't had a losing record in the regular season in 4 years..lets give them a chance with our new staff. We havent gone backwards this off-season. I like that most of our core group has stayed intact.