Possible Reason Why Td Hasn't Went After A Lt

You can't expect a team to go out and fill every single hole they have in one offseason. It just doesn't work that way. You have to look toward the future too. You don't go out signing a FA for every hole you have every single offseason. This will work for a position or two, but if the talent isn't there (which there isn't much LT talent available this year) you look to the next year to see if you can improve even more than you could have this year.

Here are some tackles that are scheduled to become FA's in 2013. Note: I am well aware that most of these won't make it to the FA pool, but some of them will.

Brandon Albert

Duane Brown

Ryan Clady

Khalif Barnes

Chad Clifton

Sam Baker (kidding)

The point is that you can only upgrade so many positions over an offseason and reaching to upgrade a certain position when the talent really isn't there usually isn't the smartest choice. Is McNeil better than what we have? Yea, I'd say so, but he's certainly not a world beater and it's only so much of an upgrade. How pissed would you be if we signed Mcneil and then Clady made it to FA next year and we actually had the cap space to sign him, but we couldn't because we were tied up with Mcneil?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that TD and Smitty asked Nolan and Koetter if they had enough to work their systems already on the roster and both of them looked it and said "**** yeah!" I truly believe that Smitty and TD have not bailed on the talent on hand on either side of the ball and they have trust in the new guys to scheme it up. To this point, I have never hated on BVG or Mularkey (not saying that I was happy), but if they can make lemonade out of our lemons, both of the former coordinators should be banned to pee wee league for life.

You can't expect a team to go out and fill every single hole they have in one offseason. It just doesn't work that way. You have to look toward the future too. You don't go out signing a FA for every hole you have every single offseason. This will work for a position or two, but if the talent isn't there (which there isn't much LT talent available this year) you look to the next year to see if you can improve even more than you could have this year.

Here are some tackles that are scheduled to become FA's in 2013. Note: I am well aware that most of these won't make it to the FA pool, but some of them will.

Brandon Albert

Duane Brown

Ryan Clady

Khalif Barnes

Chad Clifton

Sam Baker (kidding)

The point is that you can only upgrade so many positions over an offseason and reaching to upgrade a certain position when the talent really isn't there usually isn't the smartest choice. Is McNeil better than what we have? Yea, I'd say so, but he's certainly not a world beater and it's only so much of an upgrade. How pissed would you be if we signed Mcneil and then Clady made it to FA next year and we actually had the cap space to sign him, but we couldn't because we were tied up with Mcneil?

So you just think its ok to go into a season without a viable LT? You think its ok to not even try?

So you just think its ok to go into a season without a viable LT? You think its ok to not even try?

Why do we always go over this with you. Just because TD and co are not telling everyone their hand does not mean that they are not working behind the scenes. You start tipping your hand and teams will drive the price in spite just to make you pay more for the player you want.

i like the thought process in this thread. Sometimes in the spur of the moment people forget about the future and what it might hold. Like ive been saying. theyll do something to address left tackle. but they have to weigh it all out and see whats best not only for this year, but next year too.

Everybody just lives in the now. They don't have to worry about the future like TD does. He has to look @ making moves from every possible angle.

Everybody just lives in the now. They don't have to worry about the future like TD does. He has to look @ making moves from every possible angle.

Matt Ryan will be standing in the pocket with either Turnstile or Svitek (the Anti-Baker--- not much raw talent but at least has pride and guts) in this season's now. Getting a LT the following season will be cold comfort if Ryan gets splatterized this season. There are quite a few positions that can be patchworked for a season, sometimes two. LT is not one of them.

i know all of you are pro scouts and who will work and who wont in our scheme, but there are a lot of left tackles still available. i wasnt aware that only bell and mcneil were nfl tackles. i also didnt know that they had to be signed in the first week of free agency or they turn into arena league players. give it time. and stop praising only 2 like theyre the only 2 that can play cause its not true.

Could our team get better by adding a LT...yes, that's undeniable...

Does the FO and coaching staff feel that Svitek or Baker will be descent enough at the position to hold up for the season....possibly....maybe even definitely....

IMO...I'm okay letting Svitek start the season at LT.....and then who knows, by the end of the year, we may be talking about him as Pro Bowl level player??? or maybe then after seeing what we have over the course of the season, we address the LT position....maybe with a big time FA like some of the ones mentioned, or the draft class next year for LT is pretty solid IMO...so we could certainly draft LT in the late 1st round....

Matt Ryan will be standing in the pocket with either Turnstile or Svitek (the Anti-Baker--- not much raw talent but at least has pride and guts) in this season's now. Getting a LT the following season will be cold comfort if Ryan gets splatterized this season. There are quite a few positions that can be patchworked for a season, sometimes two. LT is not one of them.

Did Ryan get splattered last season? Face it. The talent IS NOT THERE. What's the point in bringing in somebody that will only be a slight upgrade to what we have that's even more of an injury risk than Baker? Making moves like that will end up costing us a legit starter in the future.

I think a lot of it has to do with the faith that TD and MS have in Baker. Some have mentioned that Baker played hurt through most of this year and in 2010 was on the cusp of being a Pro Bowl player at LT. They may be banking on him returning to 100% health and being a better player. There may have also been some belief that Paul Boudreax's ability to coach flat out sucked.

I'll give him this season before asking for a pink slip.

Brandon Albert

Duane Brown

Ryan Clady

Khalif Barnes

Chad Clifton

Sam Baker (kidding)

Brandon Albert - Average as grits

Duane Brown - good, not great - will be re-signed or franchised before free agency

Ryan Clady - great LT, will be franchised or re-signed before free agency

Khalif Barnes - you are joking right?

Chad Clifton - i think he has grandkids now, what is he 36yrs old?

there is no answer next year either.......the good ones won't be available and the rest are not an upgrade.

McNeil.. the dude probably didn't even pass the physical and medical examinations by any teams. Maybe thats why he hasn't been signed yet?

Jesus, just stop with the LT clammoring.

Wait until AFTER the draft, and before the season to get mad about not signing a LT.