Draft Scheme Needs To Be Changed.....bpa>Positional Need

Just my opinion. I think too many times during this 4 yr "process", TD has drafted mediocre/injury prone/pathetic players simply b/c a spot at a particular position was open and a player was needed. What TD doesn't seem to understand is that we aren't promised a great player, simply b/c he have a need at that spot. Example...Lets say when our 2nd rnd pick comes up, there is a very average DT and LT available, along with a SUPERB WR. Hate to say it, but I whole-heartedly expect Dumb-itroff to take either the DT or LT. Maybe some of you agree w/ this ridiculous philosophy...however..you must remember that this is exactly what got us stuck with Ludacris/aka JA98 (Mckay era), Samantha B, and peria. This same bit of insanity led to the desperation FA acquisitions of Edwards and Dunta.

There's just so much that can be done when you draft the best player available..even if you have a great player at that position currently. Whether you play him or use him as trade bait, you can't go wrong. And if there isn't a player available that is worthy of drafting at that position TRADE DOWN! Don't grab an average player and pay him very good-elite money. I think TD was too busy gelling his hair during Peoli/Belichick's personnel meetings back in the day. There is no way that he learned from them...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Fibonacci

So just like last year i finished off with this comment.........why are you a falcons fan when you hate all of our players. I can understand a couple things messing with people. But saying our draft sucks since 2008, hate smith and TD, ETC. makes me really question you.

Do i need to call the cops to your house or something. Cause someone has to have a gun to your head. You probably got a spot dug into your head since 2008 just like the fat guy who was in the movie "seven" for being a glutton

BPA always trumps positional need. I can't see why this is even debated.

No Debate here...I just don't get why all of us fans understand this draft strategy, but TD doesn't seem to. My opinion on TDs abilities as a GM have been stated b4. I can't lie to ya...I'm pissed at the position that TDs decisions have put this team in, at this point...we're stuck w/ baker, peria, edwards, dunta, and abe....We have no freakin draft picks (speaking figuratively)...no money to sign FAs....

I love this team and I always have. As much as it hurts to say this..I believe TDs decisions since 2009 will keep us out of the playoffs this year. I don't think folks on this MB realize how close we are to being a "rebuilding" team. While confident in public..I believe TD is probably pulling his hair out behind closed doors, and is whispering to himself "what have i done??"

Mr Blank..this is what happens when you hire a GM and HC, who are using your organization as their "On the Job Training"....

If there was a stud receiver available in the second and TD drafted him first he won’t get any playing time second if he becomes a bust or gets injured we would all be calling for TDs head saying why WR when we are loaded and have huge needs on O and D line.

If we did draft a WR in the second then there better a plan on trading RW for something.

I do prefer trading back in the draft accumulating picks and then taking BPA with every pick as appose to having several picks and several needs.

Agree to an extent. Stud WR at pick 55...would defy all logic...but would be intriguing if truly a phenomenal talent that had slipped. I do think TD has reached quite a bit in grasping to fill in gaps.

WR would be about the only position for us that I'd say to steer away from bpa- but all other positions go for it. I will be kind of angry if we reach for some marginal LT with our first pick though.

Adaptable coaches can roll with a bpa philosophy. More scheme-oriented guys cannot.

I agree to a point......

You don't take a franchise QB when you have one (Matt Ryan - i know, its debatable)

You don't take a stud WR when you have two (Roddy/Julio)

There are certain positions you don't take if you are stocked - but for the most part I agree to take the best player.

you take the BPA in positions of need. thats what TD does. He doesnt say DE is the biggest need, so I am solely taking the best DE left on the board.

The only positions not on the board for round 2 are likely QB, WR. All of the OL positions, All of the DB positions, OLB, ILB, TE and RB could be possible if the right guy is there in round 2 or 3. All of those positions can either be upgraded now, or could be holes within 1-2 seasons.

I love how you folks question TD, but yet he has been voted the best GM in the NFL by his peers 2 of his 4 seasons here! I think he an handle this draft think without your help, lol.

I like the BPA approach for us. Only because we really only need O and D line help. Now that our roster is basically set for the foreseeable future we can maybe begin to approach the draft that way. TD and Co. came in when our franchise was in shambles. Of course they have drafted for need alot.

The only franchises that can afford to take the BPA year after year are the ones that don't have any glaring holes to fill. In 2008 & 2009 we had too many holes to just take the BPA without giving consideration to positional need. Whether or not a team takes the BPA is purely situational and to suggest that a team can take the top ranked player on the board in round 1-5 without considering positional need and still remain a competitor is crazy.

Edited by Aftermath

No Debate here...I just don't get why all of us fans understand this draft strategy, but TD doesn't seem to. My opinion on TDs abilities as a GM have been stated b4. I can't lie to ya...I'm pissed at the position that TDs decisions have put this team in, at this point...we're stuck w/ baker, peria, edwards, dunta, and abe....We have no freakin draft picks (speaking figuratively)...no money to sign FAs....

I love this team and I always have. As much as it hurts to say this..I believe TDs decisions since 2009 will keep us out of the playoffs this year. I don't think folks on this MB realize how close we are to being a "rebuilding" team. While confident in public..I believe TD is probably pulling his hair out behind closed doors, and is whispering to himself "what have i done??"

Mr Blank..this is what happens when you hire a GM and HC, who are using your organization as their "On the Job Training"....

Ok, so now the fans are smarter than the GM? You are pissed at TD building a 40 win team when this team never had this before. You're pissed because the Falcons you love so much are more competitive consistently than they have ever been before. You are pissed TD decided to resign the players that helped this team win 23 games in the last 2 seasons instead of let them all walk and sign a bunch of FAs? You are upset because we are short a 1st rounder (to get a sure fire blue chip) but are quick to point out how much TD misses in the 1st? You are upset TD saw a hole at LT, DT, CB, and DE and tried to fill those holes with good players (Baker was a good LT @ USC that nobody saw busting, Jerry was stud pre-injury, DRob was the best corner available, Abe is one of the best pure 4-3 REs in the league, and Edwards was signed cheap to complement him and after 1 season with a bum knee, you can't write him off).

Please, tell me how close we are to being the Rams, Colts, Browns, Redskins, or any of those low rung teams. While you're at it, tell me who Blank was supposed to hire back in 08 that was better. The fact that TD has gotten awarded for his work as GM here by his PEERS (not this board) shows me he knows what he's doing. You seriously have issues with what has happened since 08 and how much better this franchise is because of it. Ask the Dolphins how much they liked having Parcells, who was supposed to come to Atlanta. We'd be stuck with Dorsey and Henne and you'd be happy then huh?

I agree to a point......

You don't take a franchise QB when you have one (Matt Ryan - i know, its debatable)

You don't take a stud WR when you have two (Roddy/Julio)

There are certain positions you don't take if you are stocked - but for the most part I agree to take the best player.

You should have talked to Mickey Loomis before he blew his wad on Mark Ingram.

TD always takes BPA into account when he chooses his picks, however, you don't take the same position over and over just because it happens to be the BPA at the time of choosing. We'd be like the Detroit Lions those 4 or 5 years they kept picking first round WRs.

TD always takes BPA into account when he chooses his picks, however, you don't take the same position over and over just because it happens to be the BPA at the time of choosing. We'd be like the Detroit Lions those 4 or 5 years they kept picking first round WRs.

All of the draft day trades up we see from Dimitroff suggest he's not a BPA drafter.

Dimitroff has made several trades up in his 4 drafts, never a trade down, which tells me he is chasing specific talent and not waiting til his turn to take the "best player available"

No offense, but when you have a gutted team, like the one he inherited in 08, and are just starting, you HAVE to do that.

Good lord people. This town needs a fan culture change. Nothing is ever good enough, even when our FO is OBVIOUSLY competent.

If we are 5 games in, and are 0-5, THEN i'd start complaining and wanting somones head.

Vel made the post of the year in another thread about Dimitroff and what his draft strategy has been.

Low ceiling, high floor players that can come in and contribute. When we had a barebone team, he needed players that could be coached by rookish coaches (BVG and Murlakey) and be able to be competitive.

Julio is the first pick he made that has a VERY high Ceiling and Floor, because he felt he was a can't miss player. Wait 2 years, and then tell me Julio wasn't worth every penny. ****, I bet Julio makes the Probowl this year.

Which other player did we move up for other than Baker, because we had NO LT in 08, and Baker looked very promising, and we were picking in the top of the 2nd round anyway, and didn't mortgage much to move up to get him.

Yes he has missed on Jerry, and you can speculate that he "reached" on Peters in the 3rd... even though NUMEROUS threads have been made arguing this point, and I think the consensus is he was worth it, and admitted he missed on Jerry.

Seriously, can we please just stop the "I hate TD" threads. He has done a fantastic job since his tenure here, has 2 GM of the year awards out of 4 POSSIBLE for him.

/endrant