Arthur Blanks Reply To Bounty Program

Guest fibonacci

Guest Fibonacci

By Pat Yasinskas

PALM BEACH, Fla. -- For the first time since the story of the New Orleans Saints’ bounty program broke, we’ve got an NFC South owner commenting publicly on the situation.

It’s not New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson. It’s Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank. During a break in the owners meeting, Blank was asked for his reaction to the heavy punishments given to the Saints. Blank stood firmly behind NFL commissioner Roger Goodell’s decisions.

“I think the league has handled it well and appropriately,’’ Blank said. “One of the other owners made this point, but I told the commissioner I totally agree with him, the NFL, outside of our stadiums, the only things we really own are our reputation, our integrity, our shield and the relationship and trust we have with our fans and our sponsors. Anything that’s done that violates that or hurts that, is something that has to be dealt with. My view is that everything the commissioner has stood for since 2006, which has to do with the shield, the trust, the fans and player safety, etc. really that goes completely in the opposite direction based on the New Orleans experience.

“I think he dealt with it appropriately. I think it will be one of the most significant decisions he’ll ever make as the commissioner. I think he’ll be the commissioner for the next 30 years and I think people will look back and say he sent a message to the teams, the players, the coaches, everybody in the NFL and sent a message to the fans that 'This is not what we’re going to have in this league.' I think it was appropriate. Obviously, it’s going to be a hard hit on the Saints, but they’ll recover and time will move on and it will be fine.’’

I asked Blank if he was angered when he saw the details the NFL released from its investigation on how specific players were targeted for bounties. Blank’s team plays the Saints twice each season and the owner has millions of dollars invested in quarterback Matt Ryan and other players.

“I mean, Matt wasn’t one of the players named,’’ Blank said. “But, on the other hand, I’d be hard put to believe that he wasn’t a target at some point, whether he was named or not.

“There’s just not place for that in the game. It’s a tough game and you’re supposed to be physical, etc. but there’s a line there. It’s not even a fine line. It’s a bright line that you just can’t cross.’’

I figured this was thread worthy.

truthfully the more I think about this the punishment was far too leinient.

1st, if NE lost a first rounder for spygate...The saints should have lost 2 first rounders and this years second

2nd.. Suspending payton for a year is a joke if the league allows them to hire Parcells...The interim coach should be someone already within the saints

3rd.. Loomis should be suspended as of April 1st like payton.. Big freakin deal if the gm is suspended 8 games.. it only HURTS if he can't do his normal pre-season duties

I knew Goodell would be all talk and little action.

Now He's saying that Peyton could appeal and remain the coach while appealing, and even when suspended "that while Payton definitely cannot "coach from home," he would not necessarily be banned from total contact with the team."

Some punishment.

1st, if NE lost a first rounder for spygate...The saints should have lost 2 first rounders and this years second

2nd.. Suspending payton for a year is a joke if the league allows them to hire Parcells...The interim coach should be someone already within the saints

3rd.. Loomis should be suspended as of April 1st like payton.. Big freakin deal if the gm is suspended 8 games.. it only HURTS if he can't do his normal pre-season duties

I agree with every bit that you say here.

1. Hypothetically speaking (and wishfully) the Taints go 3-13 next season. They have to deal with the penalty of no second rounder, but they could easily end up with the 1st overall pick. That's BS IMO, and if this happens, and there's no additional punishment, I may end my fandom of the NFL.

2. Payton and the Taints should not have any personnel abilities granted to them because of their impending suspensions. A player who is suspended during the season cannot be replaced by a free agent, only players already on their roster, (i.e inactive, practice squad) so what's the difference between a coach and player serving a suspension.

3. Loomis should have been immediately and also for a complete season. They should have also been hit with a salary cap penalty since the money in the pool circumvented the salary cap (see Redskins and Cowboys).

In my opinion, the Taints are still the NFL's feel good story and Gooddell doesn't want to punish them too bad for fear that the Super Bowl (yes, its TWO words) will not have a big attendance as planned. The arguement to that is that the out of town businesses have already bought out all the tickets, the casual fan will not be there, home team or not.

This whole situation is a little fishy to me, but I'm just the casual fan.

When the Saints play us its gonna be a fight anyways. If bounties where there, it probably increases the chance we would take shots at Brees. A eye for a eye in rival games. There might have been some bounties, but it was gonna be a fight anyways regardless.

Guest Fibonacci

Agree so very much.

4th it is a joke how they can now say if a player is suspended that they do not have to worry about that money NOT affecting the cap room. so now I see why they were able to offer so many players money.

Pretty much I see it as the saints just made a laughing stock out of goodell. if goodell wanted to hurt them, then he would have said "here sean keep your job and your fined 4 million in cap space for a minium of two years, and you do not get two number 2nd rounders AND you do not get a first or second in 2014 as well".

what Goodell did was basically helped them out. I mean they were looking to get rid of Vilma any ways. now they can keep him and not have to pay him AND they get to try out Lofton in his spot. WHAT A BIG JOKE.

I also initially thought it was too lenient on draft picks. But apparently the league can legally take away draft picks only if an unfair competitive advantage was obtained by a team. The competitive advantage in bountygate was less than spygate. I think that's the reason they stopped at 2nd rounders.

The penalties levied are for Payton's involvement. Why should it effect the team more than his absence will? His suspension was HIS penalty, not the TEAMS. However they choose to deal with it should be up to them.

Guest Fibonacci

Matty poo wasn't a target because It isn't hard covering his third down check downs. 1st down run, 2nd down attempt at a screen play and 3rd down check down.

LMAO

Matty poo wasn't a target because It isn't hard covering his third down check downs. 1st down run, 2nd down attempt at a screen play and 3rd down check down.

This post shows why the mentally handicapped should not be allowed internet access.

The falcons did not run many screens last year jackazz

Guest Dirty Bird Nation ®

When the Saints play us its gonna be a fight anyways. If bounties where there, it probably increases the chance we would take shots at Brees. A eye for a eye in rival games. There might have been some bounties, but it was gonna be a fight anyways regardless.

We never got any shots in on Brees because of of Granpa Abe, Sugar-Nipple Edwards against a fortress. Whenever it did break, Brees just sidestepped it like he was in his 4th grade ballet recital.

Okay Falcons56, well I guess i correctly got two of the three plays mattie poo runs. And when he occasionally tries a screen play, it fails miserably. Is that okay Mr genius56? Now try losening your panties and maybe you'll get it.

No you fail miserably. Check downs? Turner isn't even running a rout on 3 rd downs. Why don't you look at MTs catches per year if you wanna talk check downs. Screen plays! Wow you n

Know nothing about the falcons except what some Matt Ryan haters claim! We don't even run screens. Yes we do run first and second down a lot, that's why Ryan is one of the best 3rd down QBs in the league. And guess who catches many of those 3rds. Not Michael turner. Roddy white. How is matty a check down artist now?

Brees is a check down artist that's why he has 4 RBs. 1 being sproles. Throw underneath sproles works with it. Matt Ryan doesn't have that.

Screens are typically used with young QBs to get them comfortable. When great QBs use them it is effective because it is not expected. Saints do both screens and lots of check downs.

It replaces the need for a power runner like turner. Falcons would benefit from screens but IMO

Not check downs.