Falcons Are On The Clock...who Do We Take & Why?

MrJay

Depends on who is available honestly. I'm kinda split between: whatever the best DT is, Chris Polk, or Dwayne Allen. My choice would be one of those three, but it would depend on who is there. My "why" is the same as others: I want someone who can make an immediate impact in the 1st year and challenge for a starting job by the 2nd.

Honestly, I have no idea.

Most people immediately assume that players who have size and athleticism are immediately going to do well, but you have to look for much more than that. There are a nothing but physical, advanced players in the NFL and in order to find true NFL-level talent you have to look at all the good, and then look at the bad.

We all looked at the physical aspect of Peria Jerry and said "Wow! This kid is gonna be phenomenal", then he turned into, what appears to be, a bust. You have to look at the players intelligence, how he responds under pressure (Which he'll be in ALOT in the NFL), if he is a motivator, a hard worker and willing to improve. One of the things I like about Corey Peters is the way the guy works and constantly improves. I think he showed flashes of his potential, but with that, was constant improvement. In order to find a good prospect at #55 you have to look at what you can improve and what can not be improved. Work ethic isn't taught, you either have it or you don't. Leadership is another thing that usually isn't taught. Agility, football intelligence, strength, footwork and elusiveness are all things that can be taught over time.

This is part of the reason I don't think Dontari Poe will do that well his first season. He doesn't pack much other than raw talent and a decent work ethic, I could definitely see him majorly improving over the time of his career, but his first season will mostly be him learning the way the game in the NFL is played and how much more athletic/strong/smart NFL linemen are.

D-Linemen are all mostly big and athletic, but they're going up against some of the biggest strongest linemen in the world, they have to have more than just raw athleticism.

So, in other words, I'd take a DT who I know has the tools and the will to improve. Not looking for a quick plug 'N play second rounder, because those usually don't pan out well. You have to clear a path before you pave.

Edited by ChickenBiscuit

Late in the 2nd rd with no 1st you take the highest rated player left on your board that doesn't play QB or DT. No we don't need a RB nor a TE this year, but we will soon. We are many players away from a SB run. Drafting purely for need is how we ended up with Jamal Anderson, Baker and Jerry.

Well, I don't think we take another rookie OL, Especially not as low as we will be picking this year. We have a boat load of young talent that I believe has been working out and studing hard since the injury's and during to off season. I think if we get an OL , we should get them in FAcy so we know exactly what we are getting . I personnally believe if we do get one it will be that way, FAcy. But I also think that Smith and TD thinks the young players we have will improve greatly from last year with another year under their belts. Those young OL we got the last two years are hard workers and have the makeup to be very good players. I'm a big believer in Hawley and Johnson, and a couple more . So I don't think we are as bad as you think, And I really do believe we may pick up another one after the draft.

Well, I don't think we take another rookie OL, Especially not as low as we will be picking this year. We have a boat load of young talent that I believe has been working out and studing hard since the injury's and during to off season. I think if we get an OL , we should get them in FAcy so we know exactly what we are getting . I personnally believe if we do get one it will be that way, FAcy. But I also think that Smith and TD thinks the young players we have will improve greatly from last year with another year under their belts. Those young OL we got the last two years are hard workers and have the makeup to be very good players. I'm a big believer in Hawley and Johnson, and a couple more . So I don't think we are as bad as you think, And I really do believe we may pick up another one after the draft.

draftnut I hope your assessment is correct about Johnson and Hawley as I have felt very underwhelmed by our addition of talent this FA period.

Cam Johnson DE Virginia

He should be there at #55 and IMO he is a more polished pass rusher than many other DE's in the draft. He uses his hands very well.

Having said that, we already have a few mid level talent guys with Sid,Biermann, Matthews so i don't know if we are going to spend a pick on another DE. I wouldn't mind us taking the best TE available at #55 either.

We take

Bobby Massie*, OT, Ole Miss

Height: 6-6. Weight: 316.

40 Time: 5.23.

Bench: 22. Arm: 35.

Massie has quietly been moving up draft boards. He had a decent Combine, but reportedly had an impressive pro day. Massie had some quality games this season, but did not have his best performance against Alabama. He did well in run blocking in 2011. Massie is too strong to be bull rushed, and he has the athletic ability to mirror well in pass blocking.

Massie is still a little raw and could use more experience and development. There are stretches where he simply overwhelms defenders. Massie looks like he is a future starter at right tackle in the NFL.

Or

Alameda Ta'amu, DT/NT, Washington

Height: 6-3. Weight: 348.

40 Time: 5.34. 10-Yd Split: 1.78.

Bench: 35.

Vertical: 26. Broad: 8-7.

Arm: 32. Hand: 9 7/8.

Ta'amu was solid but he didn't stand out at the Combine. Ta'amu followed his 2011 trend with an inconsistent showing at the Senior Bowl. Sometimes he was a real force before falling quiet for stretches. The demand for large nose tackles helps push his stock higher.

At times as a senior, Ta'amu was a load at the line of scrimmage, but he was inconsistent. Ta'amu ate up double teams and had success plugging his gap in run defense. He also had some quality plays collapsing the pocket with a bull rush. Against Stanford, Ta'amu was neutralized by the Cardinal's strong offensive line. After that game, he was quiet for some time but finished the regular season on a high note with two sacks, 2.5 tackles for a loss and four tackles against Washington State.

Or

Orson Charles*, TE, Georgia

Height: 6-2. Weight: 251.

Projected 40 Time: 4.70.

Arm: 32 1/2. Hand: 9 1/4.

Charles weighed in heavier than expected at the Combine and led all the tight ends by a wide margin on the bench press. After that though, he disappointed by deciding not to run the 40. Charles made mistakes in route running during the drills and he dropped some passes.

We take

Bobby Massie*, OT, Ole Miss

Height: 6-6. Weight: 316.

40 Time: 5.23.

Bench: 22. Arm: 35.

Massie has quietly been moving up draft boards. He had a decent Combine, but reportedly had an impressive pro day. Massie had some quality games this season, but did not have his best performance against Alabama. He did well in run blocking in 2011. Massie is too strong to be bull rushed, and he has the athletic ability to mirror well in pass blocking.

Massie is still a little raw and could use more experience and development. There are stretches where he simply overwhelms defenders. Massie looks like he is a future starter at right tackle in the NFL.

Or

Alameda Ta'amu, DT/NT, Washington

Height: 6-3. Weight: 348.

40 Time: 5.34. 10-Yd Split: 1.78.

Vertical: 26. Broad: 8-7.

Arm: 32. Hand: 9 7/8.

Ta'amu was solid but he didn't stand out at the Combine. Ta'amu followed his 2011 trend with an inconsistent showing at the Senior Bowl. Sometimes he was a real force before falling quiet for stretches. The demand for large nose tackles helps push his stock higher.

At times as a senior, Ta'amu was a load at the line of scrimmage, but he was inconsistent. Ta'amu ate up double teams and had success plugging his gap in run defense. He also had some quality plays collapsing the pocket with a bull rush. Against Stanford, Ta'amu was neutralized by the Cardinal's strong offensive line. After that game, he was quiet for some time but finished the regular season on a high note with two sacks, 2.5 tackles for a loss and four tackles against Washington State.

Or

Orson Charles*, TE, Georgia

Height: 6-2. Weight: 251.

Projected 40 Time: 4.70.

Arm: 32 1/2. Hand: 9 1/4.

Charles weighed in heavier than expected at the Combine and led all the tight ends by a wide margin on the bench press. After that though, he disappointed by deciding not to run the 40. Charles made mistakes in route running during the drills and he dropped some passes.

Good stuff I like any of the 3 at number 55.

Although I don't want a TE, it would probably be wise to get one at 55. A year to train him up under Tony would be helpful, but i'am really in a wait and see mode until FA is over. I still think some trades may be possible, so i'll wait to decide until draft time.

@caddieman - why do you take an obvious RT at #55? I like Massie but he isn't a LT and that's what we need.

I would take the best DT on the board. I like Reyes a lot. It's hard to push him back, he can penetrate the gap, and he can play the 5 tech. Wouldn't have to come off the field in hybrid situations. That's what we need up front. No DEs, CBs, or OGs. We have DEs that need to develop, CBs that need to play and plenty of OGs to compete.

Dtackle-why? I assume they'll sign a LT during FA period- probably waiting for McNeil and Bell to realize they're not getting starter's money and sign a reasonable contract. Not a LT in 2nd round anyway. As Vels says, lots of young talent at DE, CB and OG.

Bab's is 30, Jerry has never recovered from his knee injury, DT is where a 2nd rounder can make the biggest impact this year. Love to see a 340 pounder so that 3-4 can become more of an option, either as a hybrid D or the base D.