Optimus Grimes...lets Make A Deal

razrtalon

The player rep for free agent CB Brent Grimes says his the franchise player has "no plans to sign the tag at this time." "We hope to be able to continue to discuss through all the issues at the appropriate time," added the agent. GM Thomas Dimitroff suggested the tag was applied so both sides could continue to work toward a long-term contract. Grimes may miss offseason workouts, but it's rare for a franchise player to miss game action.

With bgrimes holding up some extra millions in the franchise tag I'm assuming he wants to get paid that dollar amount annually. . .whether or not he does remains to be seen. While D Rob restructured his contract helping free cap space benefitting the team, Grimes is doing just the opposite, during free agency.

How much is Grimes and the front office not getting a long term deal done hurting this franchise in 20122012-03-26_13-26-20.jpg

We needed the extra time before committing to the Grimes deal and crippling ourself on who we could bring back. When we get our players back, we will see how much left we have to offer. Worst case he plays for 10.6 mill. Best case he signs cheaper and gives us more room on a longer deal.

Nothing going on w/ Grimes is surprising atm. Its still early.

I think Grimes will play under the tag this year and be allowed to walk next year. Next year's draft is going to be loaded:

Honey Badger

David Amerson

Xavier Rhodes

Dee Milliner

Desmond Trufant

Johnathan Banks

Johnny Adams

Better yet, how about we re-sign Grimes, dump Dunta after the season, and draft one of those players. I'd really like a Grimes-Rhodes duo.

I'd rather trade Grimes for draft picks than have him play under the tag.

That seems to be around the going price for top talent corners. Its a little lower but if he improves he could probably get more next season. But the price would have been more if he hit the open market and we didnt tag him.

I have to start this off with... Why is his wife in your tag... She is not his agent... Just leave all that alone.

With the Grimes subject.... To be honest with uou... With FA already starting .. We have what we have... I feel like the Lofton situation... The FO is sticking to the numbers they are offering.... If they cant meet that... I think the FO is ok with Letting Grimes play the year with the one year rental franchise tag.

I know the Grimes camp wants that long term deal but i think the FO is ok with the one year tag if they cant meet a price the FO likes

I have to start this off with... Why is his wife in your tag... She is not his agent... Just leave all that alone.

With the Grimes subject.... To be honest with uou... With FA already starting .. We have what we have... I feel like the Lofton situation... The FO is sticking to the numbers they are offering.... If they cant meet that... I think the FO is ok with Letting Grimes play the year with the one year rental franchise tag.

I know the Grimes camp wants that long term deal but i think the FO is ok with the one year tag if they cant meet a price the FO likes

TD and blanks said there would be no sacred cows. I felt more like they were dropping the axe to make room for a big splash in fa. . . Mario nicks or mcneill. Sticking to the numbers makes alot more sense. Build in the draft but we have a weak draft this year due to jj move. It seems they would want to free up cap to make some kind of move to compensate for that. At this point I'm wondering if they get a deal done at all. Grimes wants more than we are willing to pay.

I think Grimes will play under the tag this year and be allowed to walk next year. Next year's draft is going to be loaded:

Honey Badger

David Amerson

Xavier Rhodes

Dee Milliner

Desmond Trufant

Johnathan Banks

Johnny Adams

that makes absolutley no sense to ttag a guy to ppay him 10+ just to let himm walk... Thats a waste of money and for all that we should just cut dunta who is the second best cb on the team... Not let your best gguy walk...

Better yet, how about we re-sign Grimes, dump Dunta after the season, and draft one of those players. I'd really like a Grimes-Rhodes duo.

that makes absolutley no sense to ttag a guy to ppay him 10+ just to let himm walk... Thats a waste of money and for all that we should just cut dunta who is the second best cb on the team... Not let your best gguy walk...

I am not saying it's what I want to happen, just what I see happening. They don't seem too pressed to make a long term offer. They know Grimes won't walk away from $10MM though. So let him play this season on the tag and then let him walk when you can draft a stud corner (i.e. Honey Badger) for significantly less. Plus, Grimes will be 30 and I highly doubt TD pays him that money at 30.

Grimes' price will only go down from here. Both parties know it. That's why TD is fine sitting that contract out there that he did. That's why Grimes hasn't signed it. The most Grimes can get does not equal the most TD is willing to pay.

I am not saying it's what I want to happen, just what I see happening. They don't seem too pressed to make a long term offer. They know Grimes won't walk away from $10MM though. So let him play this season on the tag and then let him walk when you can draft a stud corner (i.e. Honey Badger) for significantly less. Plus, Grimes will be 30 and I highly doubt TD pays him that money at 30. Grimes' price will only go down from here. Both parties know it. That's why TD is fine sitting that contract out there that he did. That's why Grimes hasn't signed it. The most Grimes can get does not equal the most TD is willing to pay.

If Grimes doesn't end up signing a 6+M long term contract, that's the first +1 for TD I can think of in a long time. At least he's consistent in his approach.

Edited by Mr. Right