Parcells To Saints Rumors?

Falcon Man™

http://atlanta.sbnation.com/atlanta-falcons/2012/3/26/2903687/bill-parcells-to-saints-rumors

Bill Parcells-To-Saints Rumors Emerge, Of Course

by Jason Kirk • Mar 26, 2012 1:18 PM EDT

The New Orleans Saints need a head coach, with Sean Payton out for the year thanks to the great Gregg Williams bounty scandal. Preferably kind of a hardass, somebody who can walk into a suddenly emotional locker room and command instant respect. Maybe somebody like ... well, yeah, somebody exactly like Bill Parcells, as ESPN is reporting has been discussed.

I don't believe that will happen. But how full circle would that be for the Atlanta Falcons if it did?

star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg

Parcells was in line to take the Falcons general manager job during Arthur Blank's cleanup of the Bobby Petrino mess in 2008. He chose the <a class="sbn-auto-link" href="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/miami-dolphins">Miami Dolphins instead, and the Falcons actually came out ahead. Thomas Dimitroff's first draft class could be the best in franchise history, and the four-year run has produced three playoff trips already.

Might it be not-so-bad news again if Parcells ends up making a choice that would appear to run contrary to Atlanta's interests?

Parcells was Payton's mentor for three years with the Cowboys, and he's easily one of the best coaches in NFL history. But he's also about to turn 71 years old, hasn't coached since 2006, and hasn't worked with a franchise since 2010. He's also a defensive mind, and the biggest name left on the Saints' coaching staff is Steve Spagnuolo, Super Bowl-winning defensive coordinator and former head coach. Such a scenario could go wrong.

(I'm looking on the very bright side here, you see. Parcells and Spagnuolo could end up combining to make a fierce defense to complement Drew Brees. LA LA LA LA CAN'T HEAR YOU.)

An arrangement wherein Parcells takes on a strict CEO role could work, but it would be quite a surprise if it ended up happening in the first place. Still, I'd say we do now know what the Saints are thinking in their search for a one-year coach.

For more on the Saints, visit Canal Street Chronicles.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope so! I hope he goes there and changes a few things around on offense.. I hope he messes with their chemistry a little!

That would be........................so beautiful!

You know, not enough for them to have a wrecked season, but just enough for them to make the Panthers defense look like the 85 Bears.

I hope so! I hope he goes there and changes a few things around on offense.. I hope he messes with their chemistry a little!

You know, not enough for them to have a wrecked season, but just enough for them to make the Panthers defense look like the 85 Bears.

not very often we agree

but on this we do... he is the anti Payton lol

he would for sure change their game and it would hurt saints more than anything IMO

I would rather see Gruden come in

I believe he would be smart enough to allow Carmichael to continue to run the offense without putting his nose in but he would do a great job of tapping into the emotion and adversity to motivate the team

well i dont think he will do it

1. it is an Elite Team, they have a way they do things and he has his way, it would be alot of putting the ego aside and do whats best, and Bill just wont do that lol

2. if he ever did want to coach again it would be a measure of what he did in NOLA and see above as to why that may be a problem.

3. Tuna dont go with Gumbo lol

now from Saints side, lets do a what if

what if he comes in,Shocks the World and wins a SB ????

then what ?????

you re Embrace Payton ??????

it could be problems for Saints FO .... sooooooooooo yea i think this is not gonna happen

He's not an idiot. He wouldn't touch the offense. He would leave the playcalling up to Pete Carmichael. He wouldn't touch the defense either.

The main thing he would be is the schedule maker for practice, he would handle the media, and he would make decisions on game day on whether to go for it on 4th down, etc.

When was the last time Parcells won a playoff game? When was the last time his team won more than one playoff game in a season?

When was the last time he had a good QB? He's always gone to crappy teams and then turned them around to at least make the playoffs. He just hasn't had a habit of staying anywhere long aside from the Giants.

I'm not sure if he really would want to come back for one year, especially considering he would have to wait yet another 5 years to get to the HOF. But if he has the slightest itch to coach, this would be the perfect opportunity for him. It's probably the most talented team he's ever had the opportunity to coach. Plus, it would go in perfectly with his history of staying with teams for only a very short time.

now from Saints side, lets do a what if

what if he comes in,Shocks the World and wins a SB ????

then what ?????

you re Embrace Payton ??????

it could be problems for Saints FO .... sooooooooooo yea i think this is not gonna happen

That wouldn't be a problem at all. Parcells doesn't care to stay with teams for long.

The bigger problem would be if Pete Carmichael or Aaron Kromer was the interim head coach, then proceeded to lead the Saints to a 14-2 record and a Super Bowl victory. Then what? Bring back Payton or keep that guy as head coach? If you bring back Payton, you're going to lose Kromer or Carmichael to another team immediately.

That wouldn't be a problem at all. Parcells doesn't care to stay with teams for long.

The bigger problem would be if Pete Carmichael or Aaron Kromer was the interim head coach, then proceeded to lead the Saints to a 14-2 record and a Super Bowl victory. Then what? Bring back Payton or keep that guy as head coach? If you bring back Payton, you're going to lose Kromer or Carmichael to another team immediately.

i dont think Spags or Carm is gonna be able to do that

they could have a very good year but not that kinda yr

Tuna ???? maybe he could , just because of who he is and the Respect he commands

You said the same thing about Lofton. That's what I get for believing you!

tumblr_l8c9nlQTP71qzh47o.gif

Bill Parcells told Sports Illustrated on Monday that he doesn't believe he'll return to coaching, amid reports that he could take over the New Orleans Saints on an interim basis.

"Do I have the bug?" Parcells said. "I don't think so."

BTW do you find that sittin on da toilet video annoying? Just wondering?

Bill Parcells told Sports Illustrated on Monday that he doesn't believe he'll return to coaching, amid reports that he could take over the New Orleans Saints on an interim basis.

"Do I have the bug?" Parcells said. "I don't think so."

BTW do you find that sittin on da toilet video annoying? Just wondering?

Lol, you know I just like messing with ya. :) Same thing I thought, he's been out of coaching for so long, I don't really see him jumping back in now.

I found it funny, oddly enough lol. I guess it was just so random and out there, but the remix someone made of it was killer.

Lol, you know I just like messing with ya. Same thing I thought, he's been out of coaching for so long, I don't really see him jumping back in now.

I found it funny, oddly enough lol. I guess it was just so random and out there, but the remix someone made of it was killer.

Yea, I was legitly curious cuz i watched the video and wondered why people thought it was funny. huh.png