I am surprised these 2 are still Falcons. Nothing against Ovie because he is the best blocking FB in the game. However, NO FB is worth 3mill. I would like to see him cut and resigned at a lower price , or just flat out take a pay cut...if not he needs to be released. Also our new scheme may call for more 3WRs sets vs 2 back sets...now that I am 100% for. If thats the case, thats even more reason to cut Ovie. I guess we will see.

Baker is another story, there isnt much argument in his favor. We reached by tarding back into the 1st round to take him. He has short arms, injury prone, and didnt have the skill set to play long term LT in the NFL, most scouts agreed to this. What TD saw...I dont know. Baker has done nothing to justify keeping him as of late. He did have 2 good years with us, and I am not oblivious to that, but what I saw last year alone was enough to cut him. I would rather sign Mcneil to an incentive laden deal, if Mcneil wont take less in base...so that we can protect ourselves from his injury history, then no thanks to him as well. That really only leaves Bell, who looks to have promise but I fear the same effect as signing "Ray Edwards"...Bell comes across to me as that kind of signing. Not bad, just not good...do we really need that?

Maybe Svitek will be out Baker, and improve to become a good LT.

Ray Edwards may improve under Nolan, and that will be a welcomed sight....same goes for Dunta.

i know this...if they both falter again....they are gone! Its not effective to cut Dunta this year bu that wont be true next year, so he better step up. Ray deserves this year to see if he can become a force. Only asking for consistant pressure and maybe 8 sacks, matching his Viking numbers.

Why would you cut someone, without having there replacements yet?

Do we really need a replacement for Ovie? Can Snelling/Cox not handle that load...that role looks to be greatly reduced this year. I understand your point with Baker, Im just frustrated that we havent moved in that direction, in fact the regime seem to want Baker...its a mind boggling to me.

I have seen that everyone thinks that Ovie is making too much money. I live in Jacksonville and each year Greg Jones sticks around. As you can see he was kept around each of the last 2 years at a pretty high salary. Koetter does use the fullback more than most think. http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/nfl/salaries/player/Greg-Jones

http://www.aolnews.com/2008/02/13/jacksonville-jaguars-sign-fullback-greg-jones-to-5-year-17-4-m/

Guest Fibonacci

Do we really need a replacement for Ovie? Can Snelling/Cox not handle that load...that role looks to be greatly reduced this year. I understand your point with Baker, Im just frustrated that we havent moved in that direction, in fact the regime seem to want Baker...its a mind boggling to me.

I understand your frustration.

Letting go of them right this second, would not be a good idea. yes I think we can both agree Baker is not a good player and is a sackmaker, but I rather have him then no one.

Also lets say we do not find anyone. Maybe Baker will end up doing good learning under a new o-line coach pat hill. And it maybe one of those things where we cut them, once we see how the other guys do and see who we draft. because the total of 5 million from both of them, could just role into next years cap space, to give us an option to sign someone bigger.

as for Ovie he is a good player. I think they are waiting to see how he is doing in training camps.

we just do not need to cut players to cut them. lets get a replacement first, then cut them.

Turner yards per carry went down when Ovie got injured...

With Cox (althought i like him as a FB) he didn't have the same yards per carry....

So....cut some salary but keep Ovie in ATL...

I said this in another thread, but I really hope we can restructure his contract. I'd actually like to give both Mughelli and Turner 1yr 1mil extensions. Then we can take 2mil from 2012 and 2013 of Turner and move them to 2014, making his salaries: 2012: 5mil, 2013: 5.5mil, and 2014: 5mil. We also take 1.5mil from Mughelli and put it on 2013, making his cap hits: 2012: 2mil, and 2013: 2.5mil. We would save 3.5mil against this cap and in excahnge could garuntee all of their 2012 salaries.

Edited by hjerry

I was surprised that we didnt make a move right before FA.... Im not suprised now... The main reason you would cut those players is to make cap room to pickup other players.... If you was going to do that.. You would do it before FA start.

Now we dont need the cap room because we are not going to make the big-mid level FA signing... Probably some Vet min type signings

We would have cut them before FA if we had other moves planned out.