'young' Ryan Reality Check

Mr. Right

While many like to find consolation in the fact that Peyton Manning went 0-3 in the playoffs before he won one, (and therefore 'Young' Ryan should receive the same luxury), it is important to note that Tom Brady won his third Superbowl at the age of 28.

Yes we know, Matt Ryan will only turn 27 at the start of this season, so he still has some time left. But with the bar set so high by all these elite quarterbacks, is it fair to continue to compare Ryan to them? I know if you want to be the best, you have to compare yourself to the best. But that may be too harsh and tough for our young QB? Too much too soon perhaps. You can't throw the baby into the pool and expect him to swim. And with Ryan, we've been throwing him to the sharks.

Thoughts?

Is it fair to subject Ryan to all this talk about elite QBs when he's only 27? He may be too young for all this pressure surrounding winning playoff games and such...

Give it time.

Edited by Mr. Right

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has he put up bad performances in the playoffs? Yes. Has he shown flashes of brilliance yet squander them with the fear of throwing an interception? Yes. Has he gotten my hopes up countless times, only to let me down with mediocre playoff performances? Yes.

Do I think he'll improve? Absolutely.

I've seen so many years go by, I've seen Jeff George stop in and take us a few places, I've seen Brett Favre play for a few games, I've seen Michael Vick scramble around in the backfield and take us to an NFC championship. But one thing that I have never seen in my entire life as a Falcons fan, is a QB, a team, under this franchise, that has been consistently good. Matt Ryan is the best quarterback to step foot in Atlanta, he has guided us to four winning seasons, three playoff playoff appearances, has lighten a spark in our franchise and has earned his spot as a top 10 QB in this league. To even assume that Matt Ryan is not the guy for Atlanta, is the same to assume that we will never see a terrestrial planet. To assume that all the blame goes to Ryan for losing playoff games, without even regarding our awful OL play, terrible playcalling and passive defensive attempts at keeping us in the game, is to assume that the reason we are failing, is because TD isn't doing his job. It's this attitude that absolutely drives me nuts. You have a QB who has consistently given you good seasons, has been nothing but media friendly, guided you to countless wins and has finally granted you access to relevance, but some of you would actually be willing to sacrifice that because of 3 games. Three. Games. Could you ever imagine actually saying after four years in a row, that we're 43-19? Could you honestly say, with all honesty, that we would have even gotten half of those wins without Matt Ryan. Roddy White was a nobody before the man got here, this franchise was irrelevant, Michael Vick screwed us (Some have the nerve to wish he was still here) and we plunged into deep turmoil again. Then you draft a QB, who in his first year, turns a 4-12 team to 11-5, who then comes one missed play (Go **** yourself, Keith) from beating the Cardinals and possibly moving on further in the playoffs.

Sure, we haven't won a playoff game since 2004, sure we're an average playoff team, yeah, we have still yet to win a playoff game despite all the weapons on offense. But you know what? I don't give a **** about any of that, because I know that this team has what it takes, I know Matt Ryan can come through for us in prime-time and this organization is not going to let that opportunity slip through its hands, and rightfully so.

So you can pout, you can say what you want about Matt Ryan, you can say that he's responsible for losing a playoff game in a team effort and you can say that he's not the right guy, but at the end of the day, most of the fanbase loves him, Arthur Blank believes in him, the staff believes in him and so do I. If you think Matt Ryan isn't the guy for this franchise then please go back to the Saints board and hop on their bandwagon because we don't want you here.

I don't give a **** about playoff wins, because unless you go undefeated in the playoffs, the season was a failure. This team needs to play for what it's worth. A super bowl.

Edited by ChickenBiscuit

If I were to personally tell you what I thought about you and the type of person you are not only would I be ashamed of myself but I would probably get myself banned.

Mr. Right

• 5'8
  • 300 pounds
  • 30-50 years of age
  • Resides in mother's basement
  • Saints fan who trolls under the identity of a Falcons fan
  • Socially inept
  • Mentally inept

And the list goes on

Has he put up bad performances in the playoffs? Yes. Has he shown flashes of brilliance yet squander them with the fear of throwing an interception? Yes. Has he gotten my hopes up countless times, only to let me down with mediocre playoff performances? Yes.

Do I think he'll improve? Absolutely.

I've seen so many years go by, I've seen Jeff George stop in and take us a few places, I've seen Brett Favre play for a few games, I've seen Michael Vick scramble around in the backfield and take us to an NFC championship. But one thing that I have never seen in my entire life as a Falcons fan, is a QB, a team, under this franchise, that has been consistently good. Matt Ryan is the best quarterback to step foot in Atlanta, he has guided us to four winning seasons, three playoff playoff appearances, has lighten a spark in our franchise and has earned his spot as a top 10 QB in this league. To even assume that Matt Ryan is not the guy for Atlanta, is the same to assume that we will never see a terrestrial planet. To assume that all the blame goes to Ryan for losing playoff games, without even regarding our awful OL play, terrible playcalling and passive defensive attempts at keeping us in the game, is to assume that the reason we are failing, is because TD isn't doing his job. It's this attitude that absolutely drives me nuts. You have a QB who has consistently given you good seasons, has been nothing but media friendly, guided you to countless wins and has finally granted you access to relevance, but some of you would actually be willing to sacrifice that because of 3 games. Three. Games. Could you ever imagine actually saying after four years in a row, that we're 43-19? Could you honestly say, with all honesty, that we would have even gotten half of those wins without Matt Ryan. Roddy White was a nobody before the man got here, this franchise was irrelevant, Michael Vick screwed us (Some have the nerve to wish he was still here) and we plunged into deep turmoil again. Then you draft a QB, who in his first year, turns a 4-12 team to 11-5, who then comes one missed play (Go **** yourself, Keith) from beating the Cardinals and possibly moving on further in the playoffs.

Sure, we haven't won a playoff game since 2004, sure we're an average playoff team, yeah, we have still yet to win a playoff game despite all the weapons on offense. But you know what? I don't give a **** about any of that, because I know that this team has what it takes, I know Matt Ryan can come through for us in prime-time and this organization is not going to let that opportunity slip through its hands, and rightfully so.

So you can pout, you can say what you want about Matt Ryan, you can say that he's responsible for losing a playoff game in a team effort and you can say that he's not the right guy, but at the end of the day, most of the fanbase loves him, Arthur Blank believes in him, the staff believes in him and so do I. If you think Matt Ryan isn't the guy for this franchise then please go back to the Saints board and hop on their bandwagon because we don't want you here.

I don't give a **** about playoff wins, because unless you go undefeated in the playoffs, the season was a failure. This team needs to play for what it's worth. A super bowl.

All I can say about this post is

perfection.jpg

Roddy White was a nobody before the man got here

I have to disagree with this point, but it's a topic to be discussed in another thread.

The thing is, we as fans have raised our expectations to the level of franchises such as the Patriots or Steelers. But we've only accomplished a series of winning seasons. We've also subjected Ryan to countless comparisons to Manning, Brees, and Rodgers. But is it warranted? Should we add this extra pressure? Is it fair to do that when Ryan's only going to be 27?

Edited by Mr. Right

I have to disagree with this point, but it's a topic to be discussed in another thread.

The thing is, we as fans have raised our expectations to the level of franchises such as the Patriots or Steelers. But we've only accomplished a series of winning seasons. And we've subjected Ryan to countless comparisons to Manning, Brees, and Rodgers. But is it warranted? Should we add this extra pressure?

Happy and satisfied are two completely different things. Of course we want more, as fans, as a franchise, as an organization, anyone who has to do with the Atlanta Falcons Organization wants more. We would like a few rings, we would like a flawless season, we would like to dominate the Saints. That's fine. But Matt Ryan isn't Drew Brees, he isn't Manning and he isn't Rodgers. He's Matt Ryan. Of course he's not elite, and there's a possibility that he may never be elite, but to compare a QB that has been in the league to elite veteran QBs such as the ones you just listed is downright ridiculous. If Rex Grossman can get to a Super Bowl, then we **** sure can.

Edited by ChickenBiscuit

Happy and satisfied are two completely different things. Of course we want more, as fans, as a franchise, as an organization, anyone who has to do with the Atlanta Falcons Organization wants more. We would like a few rings, we would like a flawless season, we would like to dominate the Saints. That's fine. But Matt Ryan isn't Drew Brees, he isn't Manning and he isn't Rodgers. He's Matt Ryan. Of course he's not elite, and there's a possibility that he may never be elite, but to compare a QB that has been in the league to elite veteran QBs such as the ones you just listed is downright ridiculous. If Rex Grossman can get to a Super Bowl, then we **** sure can.

i agree.. as much as we are upset about the past playoff losses.. matt is pretty good.. and we just have to be patient and wait for him to translate the talent and improve at his own pace.. i mean he is our QB for years to come.. and he not a bad one

Great debut on the boards. The Rodgers comparison might not be valid, as Aaron had only 54 starts to win his SB. While some here think Matt Ryan is a step shy of elite, others have more reasonable expectations. Yes, comparing to Brees and Peyton is not fair, good or bad, what about the next level of QB talent? Roethlisberger and Eli had Super Bowls after 25 and 57 career starts.

It's more than just believing Matt Ryan can achieve the same things as Ben and Eli, it's having to do that in the greatest QB era in league history and at a time when passing is dominant, something that doesn't lend itself well to Matt Ryan's strengths.

Chicken Biscuit, welcome to the boards, and spot on debut. My whole thing is, do we need ANOTHER Matt Ryan thread? Seriously... with all the issues at D-Line, O-Line, Lofton leaving, laughing at the demise of the Taints, and we are STILL discussing the best QB to EVER put on the red and black and merits of comparisons to first ballot hof'ers?

Ok, I can play ball, is it safe to compare to Manning for playoff losses, but not to Brady for winning the superbowl by 28? Not sure what is fair in the world of fantasy comparisons or not, so I can't answer that. Is it fair that Anti-Ryan Agenda trolls always equate the playoff struggles to Ryan and never heap ANY of the blame on anyone else but him when we lose?

Ok, I can play ball, is it safe to compare to Manning for playoff losses, but not to Brady for winning the superbowl by 28? Not sure what is fair in the world of fantasy comparisons or not, so I can't answer that. Is it fair that Anti-Ryan Agenda trolls always equate the playoff struggles to Ryan and never heap ANY of the blame on anyone else but him when we lose?

When has a disproportionate amount of credit or blame not been attached to the QB position? That's why it gets all the discussion. That's why the Redskins sell their soul for the chance to draft one.

Seriously another Ryan thread.......

Does anybody here think this team had Super Bowl talent and coaching the last 4 seasons?

I don't...

They are good but had and have so many holes besides QB, that any deep run in the playoffs is going to require some luck and 2-3 players playing lights out.

Love the job Smitty and TD have done so far, but to think that they have had the talent on the OL,DL and defensive backfield to make a run legitimate run is a little optimistic. Not to mention the coordinators game plans and schemes come playoff time.

Seriously anybody think Rodgers, Brees, Brady or the Mannings could have guaranteed the Falcons a trip to the Super Bowl the last 4 years with this team as it is.?

**** the Pack was a lock last year 15-1 did they make the Super Bowl? did Aaron Rodgers regress that much?

as the Saints have shown it takes a whole lot of luck and a few bounties thrown in to make it to a Super Bowl

if you're not a Ryan fan, you're not a falcons fan. How can you possibly root against him? Dont doubt him, cause he'll be our qb until 2020 at least

Matt Ryan just sat on your face, held you down, and blew a nasty, red beans gasser right into your nostrils LOL. And he told you that you were his beotch and that you WILL like it... Your above comments are getting old and tired. Just grow a pair of balls and come out and just tell us that you HATE matt ryan... Get real dude and quit whining!! We already know your wussie hurts...

Great debut on the boards. The Rodgers comparison might not be valid, as Aaron had only 54 starts to win his SB. While some here think Matt Ryan is a step shy of elite, others have more reasonable expectations. Yes, comparing to Brees and Peyton is not fair, good or bad, what about the next level of QB talent? Roethlisberger and Eli had Super Bowls after 25 and 57 career starts.

It's more than just believing Matt Ryan can achieve the same things as Ben and Eli, it's having to do that in the greatest QB era in league history and at a time when passing is dominant, something that doesn't lend itself well to Matt Ryan's strengths.

I agree that some fans go overboard comparing Ryan to Peyton or Rodgers, etc. But other fans go overboard comparing him to Pennington and Tebow.

I'll just throw this out there. Many people considered Eli elite last year. Here are his stats and Ryan's stats from last year:

Eli

589 attempts

61.0 comp pct

4933 yards

TD 29

Int 16

Rate 92.9

Ryan

566 attempts

61.3 comp pct

4177 yards

TD 29

Int 12

Rate 92.2

While many like to find consolation in the fact that Peyton Manning went 0-3 in the playoffs before he won one, (and therefore 'Young' Ryan should receive the same luxury), it is important to note that Tom Brady won his third Superbowl at the age of 28.

Yes we know, Matt Ryan will only turn 27 at the start of this season, so he still has some time left. But with the bar set so high by all these elite quarterbacks, is it fair to continue to compare Ryan to them? I know if you want to be the best, you have to compare yourself to the best. But that may be too harsh and tough for our young QB? Too much too soon perhaps. You can't throw the baby into the pool and expect him to swim. And with Ryan, we've been throwing him to the sharks.

Thoughts?

Is it fair to subject Ryan to all this talk about elite QBs when he's only 27? He may be too young for all this pressure surrounding winning playoff games and such...

Give it time.

I can dig it. But here is my deal. How much longer do you think we can reasonably continue to refer to him as "Young"? My point is that at some point it is no longer fair to the other Qqbs that actually are young and thus it serves as merely another reason to justify "grading him on the curve" so to speak. He will be 30 in a couple years and by that time we will need to start another youth movement at the position.

I know you use the term to try to cut him a little slack and I commend you for it. However, I do believe he needs to be "weaned from the teet" a little bit.

Thoughts?

I agree that some fans go overboard comparing Ryan to Peyton or Rodgers, etc. But other fans go overboard comparing him to Pennington and Tebow.

I'll just throw this out there. Many people considered Eli elite last year. Here are his stats and Ryan's stats from last year:

Eli

589 attempts

61.0 comp pct

4933 yards

TD 29

Int 16

Rate 92.9

Ryan

566 attempts

61.3 comp pct

4177 yards

TD 29

Int 12

Rate 92.2

Ok let's take that and expand on it. We've talked about the comparison of offensive talent between ATL and NYG and agreed that the Falcons have a better receiving group, RB and the slightly better O-line. On defense, the Giants pass rush is way better, helping to mask inferior LB and DB. Special teams was not a big factor and while we knock the Falcons HC, DC and OC, Tom Coughlin has taken years of heat for the poor performance of his teams in the 2nd half of the season.

So what was the big difference in one winning the Super Bowl and the other getting embarrassed? It was QB play. Stats can be made to show a great many things, which is why they are talked about so often. The proof is in the ring.

Ok let's take that and expand on it. We've talked about the comparison of offensive talent between ATL and NYG and agreed that the Falcons have a better receiving group, RB and the slightly better O-line. On defense, the Giants pass rush is way better, helping to mask inferior LB and DB. Special teams was not a big factor and while we knock the Falcons HC, DC and OC, Tom Coughlin has taken years of heat for the poor performance of his teams in the 2nd half of the season.

So what was the big difference in one winning the Super Bowl and the other getting embarrassed? It was QB play. Stats can be made to show a great many things, which is why they are talked about so often. The proof is in the ring.

I think what you just said boils down to Ryan needs to perform better in the post season. Everyone agrees with that. But i think you totally discount Mularkey going into the post season so buttoned up that it feels like every yard we gain on offense is despite the play calling instead of because of it.