Trumaine Johnson Will Visit Atlanta

Reports say Montana cornerback Trumaine Johnson will visit the Falcons, among other teams in the coming weeks. He's projected as a Round 2 pick, so Atlanta would have to use the No. 55 overall selection to acquire him.

At 6'2", 204 lbs.Johnson is an athletic, physical defensive back who probably isn't as well known as some other prospects due to where he went to school. Montana certainly isn't a slouch in the FCS, but they don't play against the top competition in the nation very often.

The toughest opponent he faced while playing for the Grizzlies was Tennessee. Montana traveled to Knoxville in the first week of the 2011 season and lost 42-16. Other than that Johnson mainly saw the likes of Big Sky teams.

The biggest knock on him is basically the fact that he played at a lower level. He stays right with receivers, makes good reads and is a strong tackler as well. Johnson was named an FCS All-American twice in his four years at UM.

I don't think there's much to question as far as his abilities go, but do the Falcons really need to use their first pick on a DB? If he falls to Round 3, I will be stunned. Johnson is rated as one of the top defensive backs heading to the pros this year.

Atlanta already has two guys from Montana in Kroy Biermann and Shann Schillinger. There are currently nine Grizzlies in the NFL, but Johnson will probably be the best out of everyone from that school.

We've already filled our Griz quota for the year, and with Grimes back there's not exactly a pressing issue for another corner. I don't see a need to draft Johnson. If they were going to take a corner, I'd rather see Brandon Boykin land here. That's just my perspective, though. What do you guys think of Johnson?

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2012/3/25/2901783/trumaine-johnson-will-visit-atlanta

I saw a 40 time on him at 4.60.......I love the size but if Trumaine cannot improve on that 40 time, then he cannot be a corner in the NFL - receivers will just run past him. He could be a free safety though.

Blackmon ran a 4.55 and he's a top 5 pick. There's not much of a difference there. 40 time is soooooooooooooooooooooo overrated.

where do you guys see small db at? hes 6'2 204. thats not a small db at all. thats actually a pretty tall db.

I like the idea of this guy... 6'2 is great size for a corner, 40 time does honestly scare me though, would have to see how fluid he is in and out of his backpedal. If he's quick he may be okay but I don't know that I'd use a 2nd round pick on a small school CB that may end up having to move to safety. His size is very comparable to Asomugha though (6'2 210) but Asomugha ran a 4.45 at the combine...

Edited by SwampyMux12

Blackmon ran a 4.55 and he's a top 5 pick. There's not much of a difference there. 40 time is soooooooooooooooooooooo overrated.

While I generally agree that 40 times are overrated, how many "slow" cornerbacks make it in the NFL? "Slow" wrs can make it on great technique and a some little subtle things that WRs do to get open. A CB needs to be able to react and get to where he needs to be in a hurry...

I saw a 40 time on him at 4.60.......I love the size but if Trumaine cannot improve on that 40 time, then he cannot be a corner in the NFL - receivers will just run past him. He could be a free safety though.

The unofficial time was 4.5.. I think he can play NB..... I do think his best position is FS...

But let me say this... The Seahawks have 2 big good CB's

Richard Sherman ran a 4.54 40

Brandon Browner ran a 4.63 40

So yea.. I dont need my big CB to run a 4.3..... Dude is not making it to our pick... I just want my big CB to have good hips and run atleast in the 4.5's

So i wont say the guy cant play CB in the NFL

Yes! I love this kid.

He is one of the most well rounded CBs in the draft. Great height and length, physical, can press, solid in coverage, good range and instincts.

To me, he is a perfect Nolan secondary prospect.

He also can switch to FS I believe. Similar to Malcolm Jenkins in that sense.