Post Combine: G-Dawg Falcons Mock Draft - 03/25/2012

g-dawg

First off, I think the biggest offseason move the Falcons made this year was acquiring the services of Mike Nolan as the new Falcons Defensive Coordinator. I truly believe we will not recognize the Falcons defense in 2012 - and that is a good thing.

I believe you will see Falcons cater this draft to re-tooling the defense with emphasis on re-building the defensive line. The predominant themes will be “Girth” and players who will allow Falcons to run variations on the 3-4 Defense. On offense, Falcons will pay some attention to the left tackle position because there is not a developmental left tackle on the entire roster.

Without further ado, here is my draft:

#2-55) Kendall Reyes-DT/DE Connecticut, 6’4”, 295lbs 4.95/40. Reyes is a versatile player that can play 4-3 Defensive Tackle or 3-4 Defensive End – he is the kind of long, lanky defensive lineman that the Falcons currently do not have on their roster to play a power position. This pick will further allow Mike Nolan to implement his hybrid defense.

icon_12887513.jpg

Scouting Report by National Football Post:

A physically put together, long armed, athletic tackle with good girth through his lower half who looks stronger than his frame would indicate. Exhibits the ability to coil up into his stance, keep his base down off the ball and exhibits an explosive first step. Routinely gets off the ball on time and into the chest plate of blockers quickly, exhibiting the natural power to hold the point inside when run at. He extends his arms well and, despite not being the most violent of defenders when asked to shed, has some coordination to get off blocks and the range to make plays off his frame. I would like to see him be a little more balanced routinely as a run defender as he will lower his head into contact and allow his lower half to get upright on the play at times allowing himself to be sealed off the snap. Plus, at times, he doesn't find the football consistently inside. However, he exhibits the first-step quickness and arm-over to threaten gaps off the ball, knife his way into the backfield and stop plays before they start. Breaks down well for a big guy and wraps solidly inside.

Needs to win with his first step as a pass rusher at this stage. Exhibits the burst to threaten gaps and/or cross the face of a blocker and make his way into the backfield. Is a gifted athlete who can stunt inside and exhibits good closing range in space. Gets upright into contact off the ball at times. However, he has the skill set, to rush the passer. At times will flash the ability to stay low, extend his arms in order to keep himself clean and side step blocks laterally. Showcased some improvements to his game at the Senior Bowl as a pass rusher and should be able to continue to improve. Gets his hands up routinely inside and knocks a lot of footballs down at the line.

Impression: Displays some natural talent and did a better job at Senior Bowl playing with a lower pad level. If he can continue to play lower should be able to fight for a starting role in both a 34 or 43 scheme as a three or five technique.

#3-84) Brandon Thompson-DT/NT Clemson, 6’2” 314lbs, 5.16/40 Some of you are going to be thinking right now, “Didn’t he just pick a defensive tackle in 2nd round?” Obviously the answer is “YES” but Thompson is more a fit for the nose tackle position and Reyes is more of a 3-4 DE. Both of these guys can fit in the 3-4 and the 4-3. Falcons will need to carry more front 7 personnel if we are to run different variations of defenses. Babineaux is in last year of his contract and has underperformed – we could even cut him and add cap space after the draft to go get a Left Tackle like Marcus McNeill - if he is still out there.

Scouting report by National Football Post:

Possesses a thick frame, good girth through the lower half and a naturally powerful looking frame. Can coil up into his stance well, and at times will get a bit arched at the back. For the most part, he keeps his base under him and exhibits an explosive first step off the football. Displays good ball awareness, is routinely one of the first lineman moving off the snap, keeps his pad level down into contact, uncoiling an explosive snap through the hips into contact. Possesses the initial explosion to overwhelm on contact, gains leverage, can get his head under the face mask of opposing blockers and run his legs through contact. Doesn't do a great job extending his arms into contact off the ball, but demonstrates good hand placement when engaged and has the upper body strength to simply overwhelm on contact. Is a linear athlete who will struggle to break down on ball carriers at times, especially when engaged. Looks a bit tight hipped and isn't real sudden when trying to shed blocks vs. the run game. Possesses the power to simply rag doll opposing blockers, but isn't real compact or quick when trying to stack and shed. Nevertheless, he's a bear to move inside, can anchor vs. the double and is tough to move. Works hard in pursuit as well, has a solid motor with good range off his frame for his size when chasing the ball off his frame. However, he'll at times get a bit upright initially off the ball and drop his head into contact, is strong enough to hold the point of attack, but can be sealed from the action with ease.

Is a developing pass rusher. Struggled to keep his pad level down off the ball when trying to shoot gaps. Also, his pad level takes away from his initial burst and power through contact. Exhibits the natural strength to still fight his way through contact, but is a linear athlete who doesn't have any kind of sudden/change of direction move off his initial rush. Can push the pocket on his bull rush, but again isn't real sudden when trying to disengage and work his way toward the quarterback. Doesn't have the dynamic explosive lateral quickness and despite his violent hands (at times), isn't real quick/compact when trying to shed.

Impression: A guy who should be able to come in and be a lineman who can win inside vs. the run game. Looks a bit limited as a pass rusher, but will be able to push the pocket and threaten gaps off the ball. A starting caliber 43 nose inside.

#5-148) Matt McCants, LT-UAB 6’7” 308lbs. 5.52/40 – The Falcons don’t have one developmental Left Tackle prospect on the entire roster and this is the guy. He has the length and athleticism and just needs to gain more strength that will come as he ages and lifts more weights. He could be a starter in 1-2 years but will be likely on the bench this year.

Scouting report by National Football Post:

tall, long-armed, athletically built offensive tackle with some natural width to his lower half, but has yet to really fill out, McCants possesses the frame to get bigger but is going to need some time to mature physically. He lacks ideal anchor strength at this stage because of it. He does a nice job extending his long arms into contact and is very coordinated with his punch when asked to slide and punch. However, in order to anchor vs. bigger defenders, he will widen his footwork in order to overcompensate and loses his balance/footing in the process. He exhibits the range off the edge to routinely reach speed off the corner and he's a natural bender who can sit into his stance, keep his pad level down and look very fluid sliding his feet laterally when asked to mirror both in space and through contact. He's balanced into contact with his punch and does a nice job keeping his weight evenly distributed in the pass game. He also exhibits the range and mirror ability to hold his own on the left side at the next level.

McCants exhibits elite range when asked to pull and get out to the second level. He is very coordinated in space, moves effortlessly and has the flexibility to cleanly drop his pad level and cut down defenders on contact. He coils up into his stance well and exhibits a good initial snap through the hips into contact, extending his arms well off the ball and initially gaining leverage. He moves his feet in order to mirror and maintain his angle. However, he will begin to pop upright through contact, limiting his natural power and taking away from his push and ability to stay engaged through contact.

Impression: McCants possesses a great looking frame that has the ability to get bigger and mature physically. Athletically, all the tools are there for this kid to play left tackle in the NFL, he just needs some time to make the jump in competition and mature physically.

#6-180) Nick Foles 6’5”, 245lbs – Arizona 5.14/40 – this is a good developmental back-up for Falcons behind Matt Ryan – he is the same type of athlete with a good arm and has completed 68% of his passes the last two years – very accurate passer.

Scouting Report by National Football Post:

A tall, strong-armed quarterback prospect who spins a clean football and with ease can make all the throws. Has experience both from the gun and under center, balances his feet quickly into throws, transfers his weight well and can accurately fit the football into tight areas on all levels of the field. However, accuracy and mechanics both become inconsistent when he feels pressure. Does a nice job keeping his eye level down the field throughout the play. But is slow to decipher information at times. Did a better job as a senior reading the entire field and finding secondary options, but will get a bit scramble-brained when the pocket starts to close. Is a lanky strider who is smooth in the pocket when trying to side step pressure, but will throw off his back foot and trusts his arm too much at times causing his ball placement and accuracy to suffer. Does a decent job-manipulating defenses, looking off receivers to one side and coming back to his primary target. Has improved his overall feel of the offense working his reads across the field, but pre-snap will get himself into some trouble not recognizing the pressure and identifying his hot man quickly.

Possesses a high release point, there is a slight wind up to his throwing motion, but nothing too dramatic that it needs to be re-tooled as he get the ball out quickly. Footwork gets sloppy at times, especially when asked to quick set from the gun, doesn't always stride toward his target. However, focuses on his lower body mechanics much more from center. Possesses good bend, short sets quickly and throws well in rhythm with "plus" accuracy. Is a bit inconsistent on his bucket throws down the field. Has a tendency to under throw vertically when he needs to put more touch on the pass, more accurate when he can throw vertically on a line

Missed time during the 2010 season with a knee injury and showed some mental grit coming back and playing through some pain. Is a former transfer from Michigan State who left the program after only playing in one game his freshman year. Started and lost the final five games of the 2010 season and winning on the big stage is a concern.

Impression: A big, strong-armed passer who has the tools physically. Made some real strides as a quarterback as a senior without much talent around him. Is going to take some time, but is an potential starting caliber pocket passer.

#7-211) Coty Sensabaugh 6’0”, 185lbs 4.42/40 – Simply put, you are just looking for somebody with potential once you get to the 7th round. This guy has football smarts and good combination of size/speed.

Scouting Report by National Post:

I came away impressed with his overall intelligence, feel and attitude. He's got good size at 5-11, 187, recognizes routes well pre-snap and can read and react quickly in coverage. He will get a bit choppy and upright out of his breaks, however he was physical off the line and showcases the ability to turn and run. I don't know if he's worth a draft pick, but because of his "plus" smarts, I wouldn't be shocked at all if the guy ends up making an NFL roster.

Impression: Possesses a solid NFL skill set with a "plus" feel in the pass game. Looks like a reserve only, but an NFL rosterable guy.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see you got Reyes in there. I had him in that mock I did in that other thread you started. I think he is a sleeper to be really good. He can penetrate as a 3 tech but still anchor as a 5. I don't think we go DT twice but I would love it if we got both Reyes and Thompson. Make the third a TE and good mock.

Would be perfect if we could get a above average LT in FA ..... Really excited to see the falcons playing in a 3-4.. This draft would set up the falcons perfectly ..

Exactly, we just need to get one so we can use this draft to focus on getting pieces in place to help us fit the 3-4 better.

I see you got Reyes in there. I had him in that mock I did in that other thread you started. I think he is a sleeper to be really good. He can penetrate as a 3 tech but still anchor as a 5. I don't think we go DT twice but I would love it if we got both Reyes and Thompson. Make the third a TE and good mock.

What can I say? you are a positive influence on me, vel smile.png

I realized that Devon Still(my original 2nd round pick for Falcons) was not going to fall to #2-55. Reyes may not either but its at least 50/50 he could fall.

I would love to see this draft I have put together - obviously nobody has ever nailed TDs picks and I won't here either.

The more and more I look at this draft, and this team and Mike Nolan - I'm convinced we are not likely to take any more DE/OLB types because Nolan will likely look at Abraham/Edwards/Bierrman/Sidbury/Matthews and think he can work with those guys to get pass rush in his schemes from the edge. However, I think from watching tape, Nolan will see that Jonathan Babineaux, Corey Peters, Vance Walker and Peria Jerry are not getting enough push up the middle and he will want to upgrade. I also think that Nolan will want to have a lot of 3-4 defense in the course of the game and may want to eventually transform over completely - to do so, there needs to be major reconstruction done on the front 4/front 3.......This draft would accomplish. I even believe Jonathan Babineaux could get axed if Falcons went DT/DT - as Babs looks like he is on downside of his career right now - he used to be great but he seems below average right now.

Falcons don't have pressing needs at the following positions:

DE/OLB

MLB

OG

TE

SS

CB

P

PK

The pressing needs are at DT, 3-4 DE and LT....

Girth Stoutness what ever you want to call it you addressed it TD talked about it now wheather these guys address it or felt they have addressed it is another issue.

I would'nt have the faintest idea what TD is going to do this draft and to be honest it wouldn't surprise me if he went CB or TE early but thats just me covering the bases I guess.

The more and more I think about it would'nt you die for a guy like Linval Joseph of the Giants to fall into your lap right now man the Giants no how to pick ther D-lineman it makes me ill thinking about it there like a factory up there roll them out one after the other of late.

Edited by kiwifalcon

Not seeing this one happening at all.

of course you wouldn't wink.png ......Its mostly about what I would do. I have no idea what Dimitroff will do.....I've guessed right a few times at Dimitroff moves - Weatherspoon, Lofton & William Moore - but for the most part, he is unpredictable.

I could see them going 2. Reyes 3. Trumaine Johnson.

Johnson is going to visit and we don't have a back up FS. He could be the back up FS and corner depth. That would also give us leverage next year on making moves with Grimes and DRob.

This draft is killing me because I have the slightest clue as to what will happen.

I'd love this draft, but there is no way in **** that it is going to happen.

I'm not really trying to predict what Dimitroff will do - I have no idea what he would do.....but this, obviously, is something that I like and might do if I was Dimitroff - based on my limited knowledge.

thanks for compliment Gibbon - i realize we don't often agree - nice to see that sometimes we do :)

I'm not really trying to predict what Dimitroff will do - I have no idea what he would do.....but this, obviously, is something that I like and might do if I was Dimitroff - based on my limited knowledge.

thanks for compliment Gibbon - i realize we don't often agree - nice to see that sometimes we do

It's not so much that I don't think TD will or won't do this, it's that I don't think Reyes or Thompson will be available where you have them. But, yeah, I think where we agree the most is getting more DTs. laugh.png

Edited by Psychic Gibbon

This mock clearly wasnt really done by gdawg because there is no homer pick. His doppleganger must have done this.

now, now desert falcon........I have always said this and will say it again: I would draft all Georgia Tech, Auburn and Florida players (most hated Georgia rivals) if it would make the Falcons better. Sure I look at UGA players - because UGA has good players - but I just want the best players for the Falcons - regardless of what school they come from.

I am ok with going with Harley (although love mcclure), but we don't have another center on the roster. There are some good ones in draft that will go 3rd round through 6th.

I would not be upset if Falcons took a Center in 5th round or thereafter. Just wish we had more picks. I like the Brewster kid from Ohio State but he probably will be long gone by 5th round.

of course you wouldn't wink.png ......Its mostly about what I would do. I have no idea what Dimitroff will do.....I've guessed right a few times at Dimitroff moves - Weatherspoon, Lofton & William Moore - but for the most part, he is unpredictable.

LOL! The reason I say that is that I think they are committed to the d-line in place--at least for this season. They may add a DT late but I really believe we'll go CB in round 2 and I'm hoping that's Josh Robinson...

LOL! The reason I say that is that I think they are committed to the d-line in place--at least for this season. They may add a DT late but I really believe we'll go CB in round 2 and I'm hoping that's Josh Robinson...

makes no sense to me - i believe Falcons deepest positon is CB.

With "the farm" already invested in Julio, this year is going to be about finding good "football" players in lower rounds. Unfortunately your girth-type " difference makers" typically are top 2 rounds....before you really get into just big fat boys. Kinda like the ones on your roster now, sans Jerry, who was lights out before the knee. He's really never made it back from the knee. After that 55 pick; you got a whole lot of "coaching em up" to do.