Everyone Is Looking For The Next Big Splash Here In Atlanta...but Remember

ol'_dirty2

Our team in 98 thant went to the SB was solid and steady. I wouldn't say that at the time, other teams looked ahead at the schedule and our roster and said "We gotta look out for that bunch!"

This current roster has more talent, but maybe not spread out enough over the roster. Still we haven't yet won a playoff game. The difference? Blue collar work ethic and hard coaching. This isn't an apologist thread for a less than stellar FA period to date. This is a reality check.

Most of the time we go after the huge signings and nobody quite pans out the way "we" want. I'm encouraged to see what these coordinators can do with their philosophies and with the talent that is here and the few new heads we get in camp. I think we can quietly become much much better as a team. Thoughts?

I think we need a few breaks. Particularly, we need there to be absolute synch between Koetter and Nolan and the players. I think we also need someone on the roster to step up exponentially in his contributions; anyone on either line, Rodgers, Harry, Roddy. The last thing is we need to get the "nasty" edge we had in 2008 when Dahl and Clabo started punching people in the mouths in the pre-season to get their attention. That set the tone for the entire season and I think we've been missing that since then.

I think we need a few breaks. Particularly, we need there to be absolute synch between Koetter and Nolan and the players. I think we also need someone on the roster to step up exponentially in his contributions; anyone on either line, Rodgers, Harry, Roddy. The last thing is we need to get the "nasty" edge we had in 2008 when Dahl and Clabo started punching people in the mouths in the pre-season to get their attention. That set the tone for the entire season and I think we've been missing that since then.

The nasty has been the biggest difference...on both sides of the ball. Good post!

Yep. We don't have that over the top nastiness.

Nolan will bring the fire to the defense, especially with Spoon leading them now. Nolan has always had that fiery passionate leader on his defense. That wasn't Lofton. The offense will finally be led by the QB, something long overdue. I think they will respond positively as well.

I think finally having coordinators that listen and respond to what the players are seeing/feeling with do wonders for this team. It's obvious MM and BVG lacked that. Hill is going to make that OLine nasty, or at least that's his objective. I think the roster is already ready for a jump, they just finally have the coaches who can make it happen.

Jamal Anderson came out of nowhere is what happened in 98.

Not really. Jam was coming off two straight 1,000 seasons. What happened was we went on a 6-2 run in the second half of the 1997 season and really kicked it in gear in 1998. Yeah Jam took it up a notch but the defense was in lock down mode and Reeves added Tony Martin to the mix which took the play action pass to another level.

I totally agree we did now need a big splashy FA for this team to play better in 2012. If fact, one of my recurring themes here is the team we had last year was more than adequate, but did not play the style of Falcon Football that Mike Smith has established since becoming head coach. Last's years team was basically the same one that went 13-3 with the notable exception of Harvey Dahl, and I couldn't agree more that we missed that nasty edge when he left. However, across the entire team, we just played very sloppy and inconsistent football, which is very uncharacteristic for this team. We made stupid penalties, mental errors and dropped balls all season long,

I don't see any reason the new coaching staff can't get us right back up there playing sound football, but this time with some more creative game plans and signal calling.

I totally agree we did now need a big splashy FA for this team to play better in 2012. If fact, one of my recurring themes here is the team we had last year was more than adequate, but did not play the style of Falcon Football that Mike Smith has established since becoming head coach. Last's years team was basically the same one that went 13-3 with the notable exception of Harvey Dahl, and I couldn't agree more that we missed that nasty edge when he left. However, across the entire team, we just played very sloppy and inconsistent football, which is very uncharacteristic for this team. We made stupid penalties, mental errors and dropped balls all season long,

I don't see any reason the new coaching staff can't get us right back up there playing sound football, but this time with some more creative game plans and signal calling.

Good post and I concur with the inconsistency part especially. How did we get that way last season?

I find myself still wondering why we slacked off. I hope your right and the new coaches have the formula to keep us playing smack in the mouth ball all 4 qtrs.