Saints Problems Could Get Worse...

HASHBROWN3

I was pondering the following "what if" scenario:

Right now its bad enough for the saints org even if nothing else goes wrong...

With that in mind, say the saints sign drew brees to that huge contract he is asking for and he is now in a position holding all the cards...

The contract would more than likely involve a LOT of guaranteed money.

If he then proceeds to go down with a injury (especially to that shoulder) well the saints cluster just moved from bad to CATASTROPHIC!!

I will temper this with the fact that I dont wish harm to anyone... and injuries to any of their players this year would be very difficult to overcome...

I'm still waiting on the punishments to be handed out to the 22-23 players mentioned. I'm mad that they didn't take the Taints' 1st Round Pick because they can tank the season now and get a very high draft pick next year.

NOBODY HAS SAID THIS YET ... What about the money?

Getting paid under the table goes against the CBA, SalaryCap, and IRS. What is being done about this? If I get paid a Bonus the Government takes part of it before I even get to see my money. This hasn't been brought up yet, people are arguing over if there was a Bounty Program, or if every team has a Bounty Program. No one has stated the fact that paying someone without reporting that income is illegal, and against the NFL's rules.

Edited by Tandy Gossett

I'm still waiting on the punishments to be handed out to the 22-23 players mentioned. I'm mad that they didn't take the Taints' 1st Round Pick because they can tank the season now and get a very high draft pick next year.

NOBODY HAS SAID THIS YET ... What about the money?

Getting paid under the table goes against the CBA, SalaryCap, and IRS. What is being done about this? If I get paid a Bonus the Government takes part of it before I even get to see my money. This hasn't been brought up yet, people are arguing over if there was a Bounty Program, or if every team has a Bounty Program. No one has stated the fact that paying someone without reporting that income is illegal, and against the NFL's rules.

If you make 7 figures and get an extra $1500, it's not going to make any difference- they may pay a little extra and a fine, doubt anyone is going to jail.

The real way it could get worse is if it comes out more players were targeted- Goodell said he'd increase the penalties if he found that out.

You know, the suspensions were very harsh and deservedly so, but if they really wanted to hammer them, the would have taken away draft picks and dispersed them to division rivals... for each year they were running the bounty program. Take the Saints first, second and third rounder away and let each team pick at the end of the 3rd round in order of how they finished the year (ie, Bucs, Panthers, Falcons this year). That would ensure that no one would ever engage in such activities again... The way the punishment is set up, they may have one bad year and then things will be back to normal.

You know, the suspensions were very harsh and deservedly so, but if they really wanted to hammer them, the would have taken away draft picks and dispersed them to division rivals... for each year they were running the bounty program. Take the Saints first, second and third rounder away and let each team pick at the end of the 3rd round in order of how they finished the year (ie, Bucs, Panthers, Falcons this year). That would ensure that no one would ever engage in such activities again... The way the punishment is set up, they may have one bad year and then things will be back to normal.

Well they cut the Saints a break letting Loomis stay on the job until the season starts before his suspension kicks in.

With that in mind, say the saints sign drew brees to that huge contract he is asking for and he is now in a position holding all the cards...

If he then proceeds to go down with a injury (especially to that shoulder) well the saints cluster just moved from bad to CATASTROPHIC!!

I will temper this with the fact that I dont wish harm to anyone... and injuries to any of their players this year would be very difficult to overcome...

aints

Falcons are more screwed than Saints if Matt Ryan goes down. I like Saints backup - Chase Daniel much better than Falcons 50yr old QB Chris Redman.

that could never happen - you cannot give away draft picks of Saints and give to Falcons/Panthers/Bucs - not only would that penalize Saints, it would give Falcons/Bucs/Panties an unfair advantage against the rest of the NFL. This would NEVER happen - EVER

Well they cut the Saints a break not letting Loomis stay on the job until the season starts before his suspension kicks in.

what is the point in suspending a GM for the first 8 games? Once the season starts, the GM does not do much anyway - to punish a GM, you suspend him in the offseason.......

I don't see the 8 game suspension of Loomis hurting the team at all.

what is the point in suspending a GM for the first 8 games? Once the season starts, the GM does not do much anyway - to punish a GM, you suspend him in the offseason.......

I don't see the 8 game suspension of Loomis hurting the team at all.

I meant letting him stay on but yeah. It's not that big a deal.

that could never happen - you cannot give away draft picks of Saints and give to Falcons/Panthers/Bucs - not only would that penalize Saints, it would give Falcons/Bucs/Panties an unfair advantage against the rest of the NFL. This would NEVER happen - EVER

Yeah, the NFL loves their "competive balance" :). The thing that I don't like about the suspensions is that it is basically a one season punishment (and they were running and lying about this bounty program multiple seasons). It hasn't hurt the Saints ability to sign players, and it won't affect their draft and next year it will be business as usual... I can see your point about giving their choices to other teams, but I think they should be taking picks away in accordance to how long they are proven to have been running it...

On a perfect sunny day, I like walking around telling people that the sky is blue.

Thanks for the shocking, news worthy thread.

What NFL team would say that a throwing arm injury isn't a big deal. It would **** almost EVERY nfl team, not just the saints. Maybe if you work on it, you can tell us some more uber-obvious news.

Post of the year!

Please be true. We need all the help we can get to get around the Saints. God forbid we would have to beat them straight up.