Okay Falcon Fans...the Table Is Set, Will Ryan Finally Win A Playoff Game?

jb 3.0

Why would Atlanta get hid of him??

The kid has been everything we could have asked and more. Christ, it will be his 5th year in the league, everyone acts like he's 36 or something.

As for the play-off win, it will happen eventually. The team has plenty of talent and has won 23 games the last 2 seasons, you don't win that many games by accident/luck.

Why would Atlanta get hid of him??

The kid has been everything we could have asked and more. Christ, it will be his 5th year in the league, everyone acts like he's 36 or something.

As for the play-off win, it will happen eventually. The team has plenty of talent and has won 23 games the last 2 seasons, you don't win that many games by accident/luck.

So...what you're saying is, You all should just stick with him until he finally does win a playoff game?

Honestly I don't see the falcons in the playoffs, I think the miss on a tie breaker, 8 8 or 9 6. Either way I don't see what getting rid of our franchise qb would accomplish, unless a unbelievable stud qb falls in our lap in the draft.

So...what you're saying is, You all should just stick with him until he finally does win a playoff game?

If he is going to average 11 wins per year, then yes. You stick with the kid and hope he continues to grow. Ryan has done everything this organization has asked of him, except get that all-mighty play-off win.

I mean Freeman has had 3 years and has yet to make the play-offs. Should the Bucs cut him if he doesn't get them there this season?

Honestly I don't see the falcons in the playoffs, I think the miss on a tie breaker, 8 8 or 9 6. Either way I don't see what getting rid of our franchise qb would accomplish, unless a unbelievable stud qb falls in our lap in the draft.

something tells me your not telling the truth!!! lol

If he is going to average 11 wins per year, then yes. You stick with the kid and hope he continues to grow. Ryan has done everything this organization has asked of him, except get that all-mighty play-off win.

I mean Freeman has had 3 years and has yet to make the play-offs. Should the Bucs cut him if he doesn't get them there this season?

If he blows like he did last year? Yes! But, if he plays more like 2010 with better talent around him, of course we keep him.

I can see why you all think so highly of him, he is your quarterback and he's done very well W-wise during the regular season, but there comes a time where you all have to stop making excuses for him once the playoffs start.

If he blows like he did last year? Yes! But, if he plays more like 2010 with better talent around him, of course we keep him.

I can see why you all think so highly of him, he is your quarterback and he's done very well W-wise during the regular season, but there comes a time where you all have to stop making excuses for him once the playoffs start.

i agree man

come playoff time the guy disappears like houdini

Guest Negatorris

Ryan is not going anywhere anytime soon. It would take a couple of bad seasons in a row before a good one to get rid of him. If that were the case, AB would have sent Vick packing before the 2006 fiasco.

Now Smitty on the other hand...

Edited by Undefendable

THIS season, and if not would it be time to part ways with him?

Just curious how deep this homerism runs?

I sure dam# hope so, tired of hearing this nonsense. And no, you don't give up on a young QB entering his prime. Much more likely Ryan signs an extension next year than he gets traded after a playoff loss.

It's not homerism, just common sense. Every QB with individual numbers comparable to Ryan for equivalent points in their careers has gone on to have playoff success. No reason to think Ryan will be the first to fail completely in the playoffs.

Brees was 0-1 in the playoffs in his first 5 years, Peyton was 0-3 his first 3 playoff appearances. Eli hasn't won a playoff game when his D has allowed 21+ points-that would make him 0-3 if he were the Falcon's QB during the Smith/TD era.

As frustrating as it would be as a fan to lose another playoff game, still wouldn't give up on Ryan.

I sure dam# hope so, tired of hearing this nonsense. And no, you don't give up on a young QB entering his prime. Much more likely Ryan signs an extension next year than he gets traded after a playoff loss.

It's not homerism, just common sense. Every QB with individual numbers comparable to Ryan for equivalent points in their careers has gone on to have playoff success. No reason to think Ryan will be the first to fail completely in the playoffs.

Brees was 0-1 in the playoffs in his first 5 years, Peyton was 0-3 his first 3 playoff appearances. Eli hasn't won a playoff game when his D has allowed 21+ points-that would make him 0-3 if he were the Falcon's QB during the Smith/TD era.

As frustrating as it would be as a fan to lose another playoff game, still wouldn't give up on Ryan.

Boy, that's some big time rationalization on your part! Especially seeing as the only 2 points you scored against the G-Men was by your defense.

Coming from a man who help support Mr. Check Down is better than Matty Ice it is hard to believe your even serious. Maybe your bored and just phishing? If your serious here is your answer: No, they do not yet at least until he gets a season or two under his new staff. Blame has been thrown around that MM was holding Ice back with his vanilla schemes and play calling which is partly true as we all know Ice is not the greatest deep ball thrower (but he never had much of a chance to get better) so we have to hold judgement on that for a while. Not winning a playoff game? See part one as they go hand and hand especially in the playoffs.

Yes, Matty Ice is going into season 5 and some might say his biological playoff clock is ticking but lest I remind everyone Peyton and breesus did not win a playoff game until season 6. Is WFW advocating waiting? Of course not, but just saying to future HOFers took a while to figure it out and we owe that to Matty Ice. As far as him not progressing last season jb? You are dead wrong on that as Matty Ice had his best season ever by far. Maybe if the Falcons kick those first two easy FGs and go up on the G-Men 8-0 who knows how the game turn out?

Some would say MM tailored his offense around Ryan.

About the deep ball, It was said in a press conference that Ryan had the calls to go deep but chose to check down. Ryan may be the blame for not having a better vertical game

Ice had it instilled in him from a rookie not to take chances or make mistakes and as you can see in 4 seasons he is one of the better QB's in the league in that category. However, the flip side to that is you do not allow you players like Roddy, JJ, TG, Harry D., to be able to make plays for you. In order for Ice (a top 10 QB now) to get to that elite status this is the part of his game that needs to improve and it will also require a different mindset from him as he has become robotic in that regards ob not making the mistake. He cannot have a better vertical game unless he is willing to make that change in his game superswamper.

Can he make that change?

Taking chances and throwing deep can allow for more turnovers. How will that effect his mind set. Does he revert back to check downs and short passes or does he keep slinging it.

Boy, that's some big time rationalization on your part! Especially seeing as the only 2 points you scored against the G-Men was by your defense.

No, it's pointing out that Eli had more help winning his playoff games than Ryan has.

Tell me the QB who had the individual numbers that Ryan did in his first 4 years and didn't end up winning playoff games.

The latter as I pointed out earlier. He will always remain a top 10 QB and not a top 5 if he doesn't garner that mindset. I think on a deep ball the line needs to hold a split second longer, Ice must be fearless in the pocket, and IMO, let the ball go just a bit quicker and let the WRs adjust to his throws. He usually has poor timing on deep balls and has more often than not overthrown WRs who are wide open deep. He has adequate arm strength but his timing is poor. That is a case where you just have to keep doing it until it is second nature to him. Do not be afraid to make a mistake!

Alley.Baggett-04.jpg

I'm not saying doesn't have work to do- he missed 4-5 deep throws that would have won 3 more games last year. First play of the first Tampa game, Jones was open deep, Ryan didn't throw it. First NO game, missed HD deep 2-3 times, Houston game, missed a couple of deep throws.

Thing is, he's capable of making those throws- he made enough of them to be a top ten QB in 40+ yard passes last year. Half of those had little or no YAC.

Once he gets a little better at the deep throw, he'll win a playoff game or two.

As long as we're talking about homerism, when Josh Freeman hasn't been to the playoffs in two years will it be time to get rid of him?

If he continues to play like he did last season........ABSOLFREAKINGLUTELY he should go!

How do you look your grandkids in the face and garner any respect from them?

EASY! They KNOW who the grandfather is and what he's all about. Nice try though! My grandkids are all still too young to come on a board like this although a couple of my kids do and they all agree about our summation of you.

Tell ya what, get one of your kids to come on here and tell us what you're REALLY like, maybe then opinions will change. I'll do it in a heartbeat, but YOU FIRST!

Edited by jb.069

Freeman has a legit excuse.. Bucs supplied him with no consistent weapons on offense. A HC that was quite possibly the worst HC of the last decade. As soon as he won Coach of the Year, he coached like absolute sh1t. I think the kid is going to do some good things with a new coaching staff, Vjax and better protection from his Oline.

Ryan had the same coaching regime for his first 4 years. they added weapons for him in most years. In '08, they added Turner, in '09, Tony G. In '11, they added JJ.

In '11, the Falcons actually had a very respectable defense also, to go with an offense filled to the brim with underused weapons.

Edited by pox 08

I think Mike Smith is done if the Falcons don't win a playoff game this year.

He already apparently passed the buck to his former OC and former DC. If they still get into the postseason and get embarrassed again in front of a national audience.. then I think Blank fires Smith. Then in another two years, if the Falcons still have not won a playoff game, I think they get rid of Ryan. That would be his 7th year in the league.

Edited by pox 08

Freeman has a legit excuse.. Bucs supplied him with no consistent weapons on offense. A HC that was quite possibly the worst HC of the last decade. As soon as he won Coach of the Year, he coached like absolute sh1t. I think the kid is going to do some good things with a new coaching staff, Vjax and better protection from his Oline.

Ryan had the same coaching regime for his first 4 years. they added weapons for him in most years. In '08, they added Turner, in '09, Tony G. In '11, they added JJ.

In '11, the Falcons actually had a very respectable defense also, to go with an offense filled to the brim with underused weapons.

See, I don't get this argument at all. Is the argument that he literally stopped caring from one year to the next, and that after inspiring a very young team to overachieve and almost reach the playoffs in 2010 he just mentally and emotionally distanced himself from the team and the organization for no apparent reason? I don't get the position that it was all the coach's fault for players giving up on him. Clearly Youngry had to go because the team wasn't going to play for him in 2012 any more than it did last year, but I can't believe that a guy could go from one of the rising stars in the league to fired entirely as a result of his own apathy from one season to the next.

See, I don't get this argument at all. Is the argument that he literally stopped caring from one year to the next, and that after inspiring a very young team to overachieve and almost reach the playoffs in 2010 he just mentally and emotionally distanced himself from the team and the organization for no apparent reason? I don't get the position that it was all the coach's fault for players giving up on him. Clearly Youngry had to go because the team wasn't going to play for him in 2012 any more than it did last year, but I can't believe that a guy could go from one of the rising stars in the league to fired entirely as a result of his own apathy from one season to the next.

I believe you're failing to see the adjustments teams made against us. Last season Williams & Benn couldn't get open to save their life, and our idiot, disorganized coaching staff had no idea how to handle it.

Surely a bulk of the blame should be laid at the feet of Freeman, but he was never put in a winning position last season. We were lucky as **** to win the few games we did!

Edited by jb.069