Gregg Williams Should Be Banned For Life If This Is True. And Skins Should Be Punished Also.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/23/report-gregg-williams-put-15000-bounty-on-brad-johnson-in-2006/

Everyone’s attention has been focused this week on the Saints after head coach Sean Payton and former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams were banished for the team’s bounty program. But the accusations that Williams doled out bounties aren’t limited to his time in New Orleans, and a new report offers some new details about the bounties that he allegedly oversaw during his time in Washington.

Citing multiple anonymous players, David Elfin writes at the Washington, D.C., CBS affiliate that when the Redskins opened the 2006 season against the Vikings, Williams (who was then the team’s defensive coordinator) made a specific point of telling his players to go after Brad Johnson, the Vikings quarterback who had previously played for the Redskins.

“Gregg came in and dropped $15,000 on the [table] and said, ‘Brad Johnson doesn’t finish this game,’” one player said.

Greg Blache, who was a defensive line coach under Williams at the time and later succeeded Williams as the team’s defensive coordinator, has said that he disliked and discontinued the bounty program. But Elfin quotes that same unnamed player as saying that in reality, Blache was offering players money to compensate them for any fines they got for illegal hits.

“Greg Blache said, ‘If you get fined, it will be taken care of,’” the player said.

Another unnamed player offered similar memories about Williams targeting Johnson before that Week One game in 2006.

“I can’t say for sure it was $15,000, but I definitely remember that happening before that Minnesota game,” the second player said. “And I can’t say for sure that those were G-Dub’s exact words about Brad Johnson, but that was certainly the message. I had never heard anything like that before from a coach, but I wasn’t shocked because that was G-Dub’s character, so in your face. His language was always X-rated and our meetings were usually pretty nuts.”

As it turned out, Johnson was not knocked out of the game, and he led the Vikings to a win over the Redskins. So Williams didn’t get what he wanted, and no players got that $15,000.

this is why Goodell and the NFL may now be in trouble.

Goodell came out and said that the Saints weren't really being punished for the bounty system....they were simply told to stop. They are being punished for lies and deception about it.

Technically, offering money specifically to hurt others is against the law whether it is within the context of a the job or not. Goodell and the NFL have known about a lot of illegal activity, have had many former players come out and admit it, and now there is going to be a Congressional Hearing. If it can be shown that the league has known about these activities, there could be some serious repercussions because they have never done anything to stop it

edit: if it gets that far, it could even be used as evidence that the NFL has operated outside the law in an anti-trust suit

Edited by Dago 3.0

Goodell came out and said that the Saints weren't really being punished for the bounty system....they were simply told to stop. They are being punished for lies and deception about it.

Technically, offering money specifically to hurt others is against the law whether it is within the context of a the job or not. Goodell and the NFL have known about a lot of illegal activity, have had many former players come out and admit it, and now there is going to be a Congressional Hearing. If it can be shown that the league has known about these activities, there could be some serious repercussions because they have never done anything to stop it

edit: if it gets that far, it could even be used as evidence that the NFL has operated outside the law in an anti-trust suit

Good I hope I never have to see Goodell slowly ruin football day by day any longer. Although I will always be appreciative of the HAMMA POWAH he laid down on the Saints!

I don't see they problem this has caused the Saints, yeh we don't have a second pick this yr or next, but the team is still loaded with talent and a QB who is near the best in the league. We will be fine, but keep thinking we won't, and when your team loses to the Saints for the 4th straight time find a other excuse.

Wth does that have to with what I said? Keep fishing Taint fan and yes the Taints are done so keep dreaming also.

You are happy that fag punished the Saints because you are a sad little man that hates having to look up at big brother for everything. What will your excuse be when the Saints win the division again? Your team is the same sorry one that scored 2 points in the playoffs.

I'm going to assume you didn't even know who the New Orleans Saints were before 2009 by the way you conduct yourself. The same as all the other trolls who migrate here from SR.

InDeyDomes.jpg

Mhm, I am all up in that dome baby!

Never going to happen- NFL will claim that they investigated in 2009, but didn't have any proof until a couple of years later when a player talked. They'll say they ended it as soon as they could prove it.

What the Saints are being penalized for is lying during the original investigation.

Don't think Williams will ever coach again- don't think any team wants his baggage.

Also think that Goodell is holding the carrot of reinstatement out to Williams to get him to cooperate fully- it's part of his conditions necessary to get back in the league, doubt Goodell lets him back in.

Never going to happen- NFL will claim that they investigated in 2009, but didn't have any proof until a couple of years later when a player talked. They'll say they ended it as soon as they could prove it.

What the Saints are being penalized for is lying during the original investigation.

they can claim it all they want. there is plenty of evidence now that both the Titans and Ravens have run bounties and that other teams under Williams did and that coaches and staff were aware of it. Also, you have had many players come out in national and local news admitting to it

Goodell opened Pandora's Box and my point is that by NOT handing out a single punishment for an activity that violates the law, Goodell has potentially made it worse.

any judge would take that excuse and shred it because if it is happening on several teams, then it is obvious just telling teams to stop it is not working. by being heavy handed for lying, and doing nothing for activities that are against the law, Goodell has made this worse

they can claim it all they want. there is plenty of evidence now that both the Titans and Ravens have run bounties and that other teams under Williams did and that coaches and staff were aware of it. Also, you have had many players come out in national and local news admitting to it

Goodell opened Pandora's Box and my point is that by NOT handing out a single punishment for an activity that violates the law, Goodell has potentially made it worse.

any judge would take that excuse and shred it because if it is happening on several teams, then it is obvious just telling teams to stop it is not working. by being heavy handed for lying, and doing nothing for activities that are against the law, Goodell has made this worse

One, I think you and a lot of those players are confusing/conflating pay for performance and pay for injury. Nobody is coming down, for example, on secondary players throwing some money on the table and giving it to the guy with the first INT. No one is getting busted for what amounts to an office betting pool. But that's not what the Saints did.

Two, The NFL is going to say- we monitored the situations carefully. We investigated in 09 when there were so many hits on Favre, but could never prove anything. Until a player came forward, we have had no way to prove anything. As soon as we could prove something, we took action.

Three, You're assuming that the league should have known, and there's no way to prove that. Again, see point two- they may have suspected it, but until the player came forward, they had no proof. It was, after all, an illegal activity, people tend to be closed mouthed about those.

One, I think you and a lot of those players are confusing/conflating pay for performance and pay for injury. Nobody is coming down, for example, on secondary players throwing some money on the table and giving it to the guy with the first INT. No one is getting busted for what amounts to an office betting pool. But that's not what the Saints did.

Two, The NFL is going to say- we monitored the situations carefully. We investigated in 09 when there were so many hits on Favre, but could never prove anything. Until a player came forward, we have had no way to prove anything. As soon as we could prove something, we took action.

Three, You're assuming that the league should have known, and there's no way to prove that. Again, see point two- they may have suspected it, but until the player came forward, they had no proof. It was, after all, an illegal activity, people tend to be closed mouthed about those.

really? part of what they got Loomis and Payton on is failure to monitor and control. It's something that happens when you are in charge and illegal crap is going on under your watch. works similar to fiduciary responsibility.

all that really would need to be proved is that it was a common occurrence during Goodell's tenure and the owners will find just cause to terminate him for not protecting the integrity of the game. I doubt you have ever had any sort of federal inquiry.....they don't do it to find nothing because finding nothing doesn't justify their existence. IF a hearing actually starts, they won't stop until they have somebody's head on a pike.

really? part of what they got Loomis and Payton on is failure to monitor and control. It's something that happens when you are in charge and illegal crap is going on under your watch. works similar to fiduciary responsibility.

all that really would need to be proved is that it was a common occurrence during Goodell's tenure and the owners will find just cause to terminate him for not protecting the integrity of the game. I doubt you have ever had any sort of federal inquiry.....they don't do it to find nothing because finding nothing doesn't justify their existence. IF a hearing actually starts, they won't stop until they have somebody's head on a pike.

Is this something done by the OIG? Im not to familiar with this

Basic problems with your position are your assumptions that:

1. The NFL knew about bounty programs for years.

2. That anyone could prove fact number 1.

3. That pay for performance is the same as pay for injury.

1 may be true, but there's no way to prove it. The NFL is going to claim they suspected programs like this were going on, but until a player came forward, they had no proof. The minute they had proof, they acted.