Apparantly The Mcneil Visit Was A Dirty Hoax By Agent:)

SwampyMux12

Too bad, it's hard to believe that we are actually staring at a year with Sam Baker lining up at LT yet again... How many times does the guy need to fail before we figure it out? It's relate able to a monkey slamming his hand in a car door - how many times do you think he needs to slam it in there before he figures out that it hurts and never does it again?

"For those Falcons fans who have been wanting to have McNeill join the Falcons, I’m afraid we have a little bad news. It seems that all the reports of McNeill visiting the Falcons this week was all a sham created by McNeill’s agent to increase interest in his client.

Apparently McNeill has been clamoring for ‘starting’ money. His claims that he is 100% make him believe that he needs the the amount of money a starting caliber Left Tackle would get.

Personally, I think that he ought to take a 1-year small contract to prove himself. If he is the talent that we all think he could be, he would definitely increase the amount of money that he would get as a free-agent in 2013. Eventually the market will force Marcus to reconsider his asking price, and he will sign with someone for significantly less than starting money. I just hope that 1-year trial season is with the Falcons."

http://bloggingdirty.com/2012/03/21/an-update-on-marcus-mcneill/

it does not mean the Falcons won't bring him in or talk to his agent - i'm still holding out hope..

Unfortunately hope never actually accomplishes anything, but for us fans, there isn't really much else we can do. If TD somehow does sign him for a Abe/Tatapu-ish deal, then he shall be a god on this board, at least to some.

Too bad, it's hard to believe that we are actually staring at a year with Sam Baker lining up at LT yet again... How many times does the guy need to fail before we figure it out? It's relate able to a monkey slamming his hand in a car door - how many times do you think he needs to slam it in there before he figures out that it hurts and never does it again?

"For those Falcons fans who have been wanting to have McNeill join the Falcons, I’m afraid we have a little bad news. It seems that all the reports of McNeill visiting the Falcons this week was all a sham created by McNeill’s agent to increase interest in his client.

Apparently McNeill has been clamoring for ‘starting’ money. His claims that he is 100% make him believe that he needs the the amount of money a starting caliber Left Tackle would get.

Personally, I think that he ought to take a 1-year small contract to prove himself. If he is the talent that we all think he could be, he would definitely increase the amount of money that he would get as a free-agent in 2013. Eventually the market will force Marcus to reconsider his asking price, and he will sign with someone for significantly less than starting money. I just hope that 1-year trial season is with the Falcons."

http://bloggingdirty...marcus-mcneill/

What is with your assumption of Baker being the starter? He was injured came back and was 2nd string. He then was tried at RG and benched again. If that is now clear enough for you that he is not considered the starter then I don't know what will be the evidence for you to believe that he is not going to be the starter.

What is with your assumption of Baker being the starter? He was injured came back and was 2nd string. He then was tried at RG and benched again. If that is now clear enough for you that he is not considered the starter then I don't know what will be the evidence for you to believe that he is not going to be the starter.

Coach Smith has been directly quoted as saying that he would be "very comfortable" with Baker as the starting LT. My guess is that he was not 100% healthy coming back from injury. All signs are pointing to the job being Baker's to lose coming into the season. Obviously it's no slam dunk, but given his draft and contract status I'm guessing that Smith and TD would love for him to be able to win the job...

Coach Smith has been directly quoted as saying that he would be "very comfortable" with Baker as the starting LT. My guess is that he was not 100% healthy coming back from injury. All signs are pointing to the job being Baker's to lose coming into the season. Obviously it's no slam dunk, but given his draft and contract status I'm guessing that Smith and TD would love for him to be able to win the job...

I did not interpret Mike Smith's words to mean that Sam Baker would be the starter at all....I think it was more of a defense of the player himself and that Falcons still liked Sam Baker......I don't think Baker is #1 and Svitek #2. To me, at this point, its Svitek #1 and Baker #2.....

I did not interpret Mike Smith's words to mean that Sam Baker would be the starter at all....I think it was more of a defense of the player himself and that Falcons still liked Sam Baker......I don't think Baker is #1 and Svitek #2. To me, at this point, its Svitek #1 and Baker #2.....

That's always the case with Smith. Right up until the point when a player is cut/traded, and even after they are, Smith wholeheartedly refuses to say anything bad about an individual player. The same is true of Ryan, which is one of the reasons they chime so well.

I think people are overlooking svitek when they keep saying Baker can and will start next year. Svitek was actually a bit above average last year when he came in and started as Baker did not win the starting position back and our line def. improved. If you look up Sviteks numbers they are on par with mcniel in pass protection and just a small bit behind mcniels run blocking. Not saying he is the best in the world but he showed enough to atleast get a chance this year.

I certainly hope that you are right. By all accounts Svitek outplayed Baker last season, though Baker may not have been 100% all season, he took quite a nose dive from 2010 when he was at least serviceable so there's a good chance something wasn't right. I still believe that Baker enters camp with "the job is your's to lose" shot (unless we bring a guy like McNeil on). I would say that Svitek's play last year was very comparable to Baker's the year before so IMO the slight edge goes to the 1st round draft choice...

I certainly hope that you are right. By all accounts Svitek outplayed Baker last season, though Baker may not have been 100% all season, he took quite a nose dive from 2010 when he was at least serviceable so there's a good chance something wasn't right. I still believe that Baker enters camp with "the job is your's to lose" shot (unless we bring a guy like McNeil on). I would say that Svitek's play last year was very comparable to Baker's the year before so IMO the slight edge goes to the 1st round draft choice...

I'm confused. It says "we", but the username suggests otherwise. Maybe its some crazy illegitimate offspring that is both Saints fan AND Falcons fan. What has science done?!

Edited by hjerry

If Mike Smith were to throw Sam Baker under the bus and say "he is no

good and we must replace him", that would be stupid until he is replaced.

As far as Baker's back is concerned all that has changed is time letting it heal.

I am not aware of anything surgical being done. Backs can be cronic, once it

goes it sometimes tends to go again. Same with groins.

We have already brought in two wounded warriors in Tatupu and Vince Manuwai.

Perhaps the thinking is that McNeil is just too risky at the price we a likely to get him

at. I don't see it that way personally. I want him on board. I think he fits the bill for what

we need. The sooner the better is how I see it.

Some good points raised, starting with no one assumes Baker is the starter, like FalconFan13 pointed out. Svitek looked like an upgrade when he replaced Baker at LT, and Baker looked awful at RG. But like Swampy points out maybe the guy was injured. No one outside that tight little circle up in Flowery Branch really knows the whole story on any of these issues. That is why you get these canned comments like "very comfortable" with Baker at LT from Smith and his lack of criticism. Our front office and coaching staff are very well trained in managing the media circus we are feed on, and are not naive enough to ever say anything "meaningful." All you are every going to read is the canned corporate image speak they consciously put out there. It shocks me when I read posters on here reacting to that any of them say as if there were any real insight into it. It is just part of the "entertainment" package that comes with NFL football.

McNeil raises another good issue to keep in mind regarding FA in general. Every player reaches some point in his career where his performance drops off (Tony excluded), and sometimes that happens dramatically. But every FA signing period people are chasing the "big name" or the "need" player that will elevate them to the "next level," The causal fan, like the majority of us. just look at reputation and stats then decided "this is the guy we need." Thank goodness there are real professionals making the decision who can look at a broader picture with more professional insight. In McNeil's specific case, there have been a few insinuations that he may have some health issues still despite being "cleared" medically.

I am not saying one way or the other, but only pointing out he may not be the great signing many of us believe him to be. I will trust TD, the FO and the coaching staff to do the right thing, and HOPE they do get it right. After all, even the pros blow it sometimes in the NFL.

I'm confused. It says "we", but the username suggests otherwise. Maybe its some crazy illegitimate offspring that is both Saints fan AND Falcons fan. What has science done?!

Okay, the entire story on the "we" is my stepson (who is a Chiefs fan) thought it would be funny to sign up for an account on the computer posing as a Saints fan and raise some ruckus (though I warned him that there are more than enough yahoos on this board that another one would not be noticed, but he insisted). He must have been posting recently as I did not notice that he was still signed in. So as I was defending my position I got this weird crossbreed Saints/Falcons fan mixed message....

There you have it, science is a lie... :)