Virginia Tech Rb David Wilson To Work Out For Falcons

67camaro

Aaron Wilson of Profootball.scout.com reports Virginia Tech running back David Wilson is scheduled to visit the Cleveland Browns and Tampa Bay Buccaneers next month, according to a league source.

Wilson is also set for a private workout with the Atlanta Falcons.

He's competing with Miami running back Lamar Miller to be the second running back selected after Alabama running back Trent Richardson.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

then why did we draft Jaquizz. RBs are a dime a dozen in todays game, I'd rather that pick be spent on something else

to that - go get chris ivory from NO, sure he'd want out

Yeah, haha, we could probably get ivory for our 5th next year. The Saints are going to want all the picks they can get.

Wouldn't be against it. Gives us 4 very good RBs in Turner, Snelling, Quizz and Wilson. Wilson is more of the homerun hitter than any of the others. The only thing I don't like about him is his propensity to want to get straight to the outside like Bush. That always makes me cautious on RBs. Quizz, Ingram, and Richardson could hit you in the mouth on a HB Dive. Same with DeMarco Murray, he wasn't a surprise to me. But he is explosive, jumping 41" and broad jumping 11'. Those are just numbers you scoff at. He will be a difference maker in this league.

as much as id like to see him with the falcons, id have to agree. we already drafted a player with similar skillsets last year.

then why did we draft Jaquizz. RBs are a dime a dozen in todays game, I'd rather that pick be spent on something else

to that - go get chris ivory from NO, sure he'd want out

Wouldn't be against it. Gives us 4 very good RBs in Turner, Snelling, Quizz and Wilson. Wilson is more of the homerun hitter than any of the others. The only thing I don't like about him is his propensity to want to get straight to the outside like Bush. That always makes me cautious on RBs. Quizz, Ingram, and Richardson could hit you in the mouth on a HB Dive. Same with DeMarco Murray, he wasn't a surprise to me. But he is explosive, jumping 41" and broad jumping 11'. Those are just numbers you scoff at. He will be a difference maker in this league.
but werent u just saying we shouldnt go after a DE cause we have unused players already? Isnt this the samething? He wouldnt get any carriescplus snells nor would quizz.. somebody would have to go, that probably would be turner

Yeah, I really thought that once we re-signed Antone Smith and Snelling that kind of squashed any chance of getting a RB in the draft. I know it's just a workout, but it still makes you wonder. If I were Michael Turner, I'd take notice.

and don't forget they also signed D. Nance again

so now Turner, Snelling, Rodgers, A. Smith, D. Nance

I do not follow VT what kind of RB is Wilson?

Edited by delaigle

but werent u just saying we shouldnt go after a DE cause we have unused players already? Isnt this the samething? He wouldnt get any carriescplus snells nor would quizz.. somebody would have to go, that probably would be turner

There aren't any big contracts or developmental players at RB. Turner is the work horse but they are already planning on cutting his carries. Quizz is a good back but isn't a speedster. Neither is Snelling. Wilson on screens and 3rd downs is would be a lot more dangerous than anybody else on our roster.

Look at the Saints for instance:

4 RBs, all played. Ingram: 122 carries. Ivory: 79. Thomas: 110. Sproles: 87. 398 rushes in total. 6th ranked rushing attack.

Right now, we have no home run threat at RB. Wilson could realistically get 80-100 touches (60-70 rushes, 20-30 catches) as the #4 RB. Quizz had 78 touches and he wasn't even really used that much. Bring Turner down to 250 and you have another 50 carries to spread around. Not to mention, drives will probably last longer due to less dropped passes and penalties killing drives.

DE, on the other hand, already has 4 DEs they want to play: Abe, Edwards, Biermann, and Sidbury, 3 already having starter contracts. So signing that DE in the second stunts the development of Sidbury, making him a waste for yet another season. It's different.

You see it as "Get a DE for when Abe goes down". Why waste the second rounder on a player that won't play and kill the growth of another player you have hopes in breaking through?

There aren't any big contracts or developmental players at RB. Turner is the work horse but they are already planning on cutting his carries. Quizz is a good back but isn't a speedster. Neither is Snelling. Wilson on screens and 3rd downs is would be a lot more dangerous than anybody else on our roster.

Look at the Saints for instance:

4 RBs, all played. Ingram: 122 carries. Ivory: 79. Thomas: 110. Sproles: 87. 398 rushes in total. 6th ranked rushing attack.

Right now, we have no home run threat at RB. Wilson could realistically get 80-100 touches (60-70 rushes, 20-30 catches) as the #4 RB. Quizz had 78 touches and he wasn't even really used that much. Bring Turner down to 250 and you have another 50 carries to spread around. Not to mention, drives will probably last longer due to less dropped passes and penalties killing drives.

DE, on the other hand, already has 4 DEs they want to play: Abe, Edwards, Biermann, and Sidbury, 3 already having starter contracts. So signing that DE in the second stunts the development of Sidbury, making him a waste for yet another season. It's different.

You see it as "Get a DE for when Abe goes down". Why waste the second rounder on a player that won't play and kill the growth of another player you have hopes in breaking through?

turner is due 7mil this yr for the cap and u say no big contracts? I get wat your saying on how the RB and DE situation is different in the sense of how there used on the field, but were not the saints offense, we still want to be a power running team which the saints arnt....

Going after a top 3 player at a position of no real need would mean they coupd possibly be looking for turners replacement or depth to take the hit of losing turner... Thats the only sense that could make knowing that you have no money and have more obvious needs else where...

The DE thing i still think they coulfld bring in a DE, they may cut ties iwith sid.. its possible but who knos

i really really like david wilson but rb isnt a big need right now. if we were to get a runningback i think ronnie hillman is a better pick for us. **** be later in the draft where we can use our second on a position of great need. i think left tackle will be addressed in fa. i think we have too much money tied up in our de's (who im not thrilled about). and the glaring need to me is db. franks and owens both look confused out there. i would like to see a chase minnifield or jayron hosely personally. not sure where theyre slotted in the draft but we need db help.

He is a home run hitter who is most effective outside of the tackles and in space. he tried to prove his toughness by running in between the tackles (or maybe thats just the lousy playcalling). Very strong and super atheletic (10x backflips and does them with pads). Limited wear and tear on body. Not an everydown back in the nfl. Reminds me of amhad bradshaw (not as angry and punishing of a runner though).

he will run 30 yards backwards to gain 3 yards some. he can dance out of some dicey TFL situations, most of the time it works out. when he misses, it can be for a 10 yd loss bc he tries to much.