"etch-A-Sketch"

HolyMoses

How long until Santorum runs this ad?:

Of course, the Voice over will be Romney's Spokesman's one moment of reckless honesty being repeated over and over. The camera will be on an etch-a-sketch with "Pro Choice" written on it. Someone shakes the etch-a-sketch and writes "Pro Life". Shakes again "RomneyCare" shakes again "Anti RomneyCare". Shakes again "Better for Gays than Ted Kennedy" Shakes again "Protect Sanctity of one man one woman marriage" etc . . . . .

Then the screen reads "Jan. 20, 2013" shakes again: "???????"

Edited by holymoses

Of course, the Voice over will be Romney's Spokesman's one moment of reckless honesty being repeated over and over. The camera will be on an etch-a-sketch with "Pro Choice" written on it. Someone Shakes the etch-a-sketch and writes "Pro Life". Shakes again "RomneyCare" shakes again "Anti RomneyCare. Shakes again "Better for Gays than Ted Kennedy" Shakes again "Protect Sanctity of one man one woman marriage" etc . . . . .

But at the end, you hear Santorum say: "Mitt Romney. What a snob!"

Only an A hole would vote for either of the GOP candidates anyway so why would admitting you have no principles matter to any of them.

"He's not Obama". thats all that matters to them. They're not voting FOR anyone

I know folks who are likely to vote for a GOP candidate. Most of them are decent people.

I know folks who are likely to vote for a GOP candidate. Most of them are decent people.

Have you discussed issues with them? Most of them get their responses directly from talk radio and have not looked into any of their answers, choosing to take some hack's word for it on most issues (sound familiar?). They seem like decent people who hate the current president because somebody told them to. However, with that being said, I'd love to see left-leaning participants go ape **** at town hall meetings like members of the right did two years ago and get away with it.

Not to me it won't. If there's not a brokered convention and a miracle happening then I'll be voting for Gary Johnson and doing so proudly knowing that I voted what I believe in instead of buying into some "well he can't win" mentality. That's a sheep that says that...

Nah, Cap. That would be an elephant.

But I'm going to look up Gary Johnson. Thanks for the homework.

Of course, the Voice over will be Romney's Spokesman's one moment of reckless honesty being repeated over and over. The camera will be on an etch-a-sketch with "Pro Choice" written on it. Someone shakes the etch-a-sketch and writes "Pro Life". Shakes again "RomneyCare" shakes again "Anti RomneyCare". Shakes again "Better for Gays than Ted Kennedy" Shakes again "Protect Sanctity of one man one woman marriage" etc . . . . .

That long. Just saw it.

Nah, Cap. That would be an elephant.

But I'm going to look up Gary Johnson. Thanks for the homework.

Johnson would have been a perfect candidate. He's essentially an articulate version of Ron Paul, along with not being totally entrenched in ideology as he is more practical than anything. Knowing that, it's no surprise he gained no traction in the GOP primary season. There's always next time, I guess.

Johnson would have been a perfect candidate. He's essentially an articulate version of Ron Paul, along with not being totally entrenched in ideology as he is more practical than anything. Knowing that, it's no surprise he gained no traction in the GOP primary season. There's always next time, I guess.

It's all about who the RNC supports and the money that gets generated. Paul has his supporters that can raise cash but doesn't have the support of his party. Johnson never had a shot. He's not back either and doesn't have the supporters Paul does (yet). My hopes are that Paul puts his support behind Johnson and those so inclined vote for Johnson and really shake up the election.

Unfortunately this election has been very, very predictable...

I'm thinking Romney needs to fire his campagin manager too.

Etch-a-Sketch

Bill McGurn · 19 hours ago

If Mitt Romney really wants to demonstrate that he's not simply pandering when he tells us how conservative he is, he needs to fire his campaign adviser Eric Fehrnstrom. On CNN, Mr. Fehrnstrom said that no matter how conservative the governor may sound on the campaign trail now, come the fall campaign he can "hit a reset button." He went on to say, "It’s almost like an Etch-A-Sketch. You can kind of shake it up and restart all over again.”

As Yuval Levin noted on National Review's The Corner, if you had asked what would "do the most damage to Romney’s support among conservatives, and ... then strained to imagine the stupidest thing they could possibly say, [you] might well have come up with something like Eric Fehrnstrom’s comment on CNN.

By any objective measure, it's of course unjust to fire a man for one errant remark. Politics, however, isn't fair, and neither is the presidency. Mr. Romney's problem is not his policies or programs; his problem is his credibility: many people just don't believe he really believes what he is telling us. Firing Mr. Fehrnstrom would be a welcome signal that Mr. Romney is offended by any suggestion, no matter how much it might be later explained away, that he does not really believe what he says -- and is ready, willing, and able to erase it away when he thinks he needs to. The worst part is that Mr. Fehrnstrom does not appear to have chosen unfortunate words that distort what he ways trying to say. To the contrary, his problem is that he appears to have inadvertently expressed what he, and by extension the Romney campaign, really does think.

This is a tough decision for any candidate. We'll learn something by Mr. Romney's reaction.

Have you discussed issues with them? Most of them get their responses directly from talk radio and have not looked into any of their answers, choosing to take some hack's word for it on most issues (sound familiar?). They seem like decent people who hate the current president because somebody told them to. However, with that being said, I'd love to see left-leaning participants go ape **** at town hall meetings like members of the right did two years ago and get away with it.

Wrong...wrong....wrong!

I do not get my answers from talk radio, reporters ect. I get my answers from watching debates, studying past history of candidates and make my decison based on facts. I don't "hate" the current president because somebody told me to. I don't like him because he has been a terrible president for this great country that we live in. Those who voted him into office are the people who did no fact checks and just listened to the "talking heads" and Obama's empty promises. His entire campain was about MORE transparent government, cutting the deficit in half by his first term and on and on and on. One campain promise he made was right....Change! The only problem is that it was change for the worse. Bigger government, more handouts and more spending than ever. Our forfathers are rolling over in their graves as we speak.

Wrong...wrong....wrong!

I do not get my answers from talk radio, reporters ect. I get my answers from watching debates, studying past history of candidates and make my decison based on facts.

Those who voted him into office are the people who did no fact checks and just listened to the "talking heads" and Obama's empty promises.

How is it 'wrong wrong wrong' when you turn around and make the exact same accusation about others? Edited by eatcorn

How is it 'wrong wrong wrong' when you turn around and make the exact same accusation about others?

True point and I shouldnt assume. I retract the last part of my statement.......that being said, I do not consider myself a democrat or a republican and do not cast my vote based on a party. I look at ALL candidates and vote based on fact...not democrat or republican party. Electing someone into office to run our country shouldnt be like "rooting for your favorite team", or in this case...party.

True point and I shouldnt assume. I retract the last part of my statement.......that being said, I do not consider myself a democrat or a republican and do not cast my vote based on a party. I look at ALL candidates and vote based on fact...not democrat or republican party. Electing someone into office to run our country shouldnt be like "rooting for your favorite team", or in this case...party.

I agree. Thanks for your sincerity.

Not sure how you can say "most of" any group that large acts in a particular way. That seems to me a bit of an unfair extrapolation.

In another time, we called that "prejudice."

Wrong...wrong....wrong!

I do not get my answers from talk radio, reporters ect. I get my answers from watching debates, studying past history of candidates and make my decison based on facts. I don't "hate" the current president because somebody told me to. I don't like him because he has been a terrible president for this great country that we live in. Those who voted him into office are the people who did no fact checks and just listened to the "talking heads" and Obama's empty promises. His entire campain was about MORE transparent government, cutting the deficit in half by his first term and on and on and on. One campain promise he made was right....Change! The only problem is that it was change for the worse. Bigger government, more handouts and more spending than ever. Our forfathers are rolling over in their graves as we speak.

Not sure how you can say "most of" any group that large acts in a particular way. That seems to me a bit of an unfair extrapolation.

In another time, we called that "prejudice."

Gentlemen: First of all, I apologize for my generalization (although I said "most of" intentionally instead of "all", it was a wide brush to use to paint a group of people). With that being said, I have had numerous discussions with people who complain about the president's performance whereas they've benefited from it way more than I have. When you ask them why they are unhappy, they don't quite seem to know.

Of course, many folks on the right have legitimate concerns and I've engaged some of them as well. However, in my personal experience, when I ask a lot of them why they hold their opinions, they don't have an answer. They just repeat the talking points without telling me why they feel that way. Better yet, when I ask them what they'll do if the DOT stops funneling funds to help fix state highways, HHS cuts off food stamps to their grandkids, or DOE stops backing student loans and issuing Pell Grants, they seem to never have considered it.

Of course, present company is excepted, so if I stepped on any toes, it was inappropriate on my part.

Gentlemen: First of all, I apologize for my generalization (although I said "most of" intentionally instead of "all", it was a wide brush to use to paint a group of people). With that being said, I have had numerous discussions with people who complain about the president's performance whereas they've benefited from it way more than I have. When you ask them why they are unhappy, they don't quite seem to know.

Of course, many folks on the right have legitimate concerns and I've engaged some of them as well. However, in my personal experience, when I ask a lot of them why they hold their opinions, they don't have an answer. They just repeat the talking points without telling me why they feel that way. Better yet, when I ask them what they'll do if the DOT stops funneling funds to help fix state highways, HHS cuts off food stamps to their grandkids, or DOE stops backing student loans and issuing Pell Grants, they seem to never have considered it.

Of course, present company is excepted, so if I stepped on any toes, it was inappropriate on my part.

For my part, you didn't step on any toes. I guess my problem is we have a bad tendency in this country to paint a large group of people who disagree with us according to the lowest common denominator. Rush Limbaugh calls someone a slut, so Republicans are all misogynists, etc. Folks on the right do it too (remember "TLR" around here, or the current discussion in right wing circles about Bill Maher supposedly demonstrating that "the left" are the real misogynists?).

I just think that kind of thinking contributes to the degradation of American political discussion. We can't discuss issues anymore because everyone's too busy throwing accusations, labels and slurs at each other. That's easier than actually having a real discussion, but IMHO, that's just a lazy excuse to avoid discussing real issues and real solutions. It's bad enough that Limbaugh and Maher and people like that start the conversation down that track. We don't have to compound their error by trying to extrapolate that thinking to a really diverse group of people.

I know people who plan to vote for Romney not because they think he's so great, but because they are independents and Obama voters who are dissatisfied with President Obama. I know people who plan to vote for President Obama despite being lifelong Republicans because they are put off by Romney and Santorum. And I know a lot of people like me who refuse to vote for any of them because we see them as all the same. There are a lot of groupthink folks out there, and I would probably agree with you that a lot of Republican voters just don't like Obama because they are Republicans and they don't really need a reason. There are a whole lot of Democrats who feel the same way about President Obama. I recently had a discussion with someone in my family (not my brother, I should note) who referred to the clergy who testified at the HHS mandate hearing as "a bunch of boobs." He didn't know anything about any of them. I happen to actually know one of them. When I defended that particular clergyman and told my family member that he was pretty far from a "boob," it didn't really matter. When I told him that guy wasn't a Republican and didn't like being involved in partisan politics, and in fact on his blog he complained that both Republicans and Democrats were trying to use him and his testimony for their own partisan advantage instead of dealing with his concerns about the HHS mandate, none of that really mattered to him. His take was "this guy is a Republican, Republicans are bad people, ergo I'm going to call him names and I don't want to be bothered with the truth."

Is that true of most Democrats? I don't think so. But it's true of a lot of the more hyper-partisan Democrats. I'm not sure what the mentality is in this country that one party has everyone's best interest at heart and the other party is evil and must be destroyed, but it's prevalent. I think you've accurately identified that on one side, but I think you've also ignored it on the other and more to the point, I don't think "most" Republican or Democrat voters fit into that box. I'd wager that in any given election, you're looking at less than a third of people who vote for one party's candidate or the other who are that kind of blindly partisan voter. I don't have any evidence of that -- just my personal observation speaking with a whole lot of Republicans and Democrats, and doing so from the standpoint of someone who really doesn't like either major party or most of their candidates.