Uga On Brink Of Making Key Hire For Football Recruiting.

SacFalcFan

So do they already have someone picked out or are they still going through the process?

from what i have heard and believe yes they know who they are hiring, but we know per state of georgia policy you have to publicly list the job for a short period of time before announcing the hire. like with armstrong they have their guy imo. this is a pretty big hire and there is a plan from what i have heard, but this can be and will be discussed after the announcement is official. i will post what a friend of mine said about this yesterday on another board in a few minutes.

from what i have heard and believe yes they know who they are hiring, but we know per state of georgia policy you have to publicly list the job for a short period of time before announcing the hire. like with armstrong they have their guy imo. this is a pretty big hire and there is a plan from what i have heard, but this can be and will be discussed after the announcement is official. i will post what a friend of mine said about this yesterday on another board in a few minutes.

hines ward, come on back down!!!

This is from another board and not my post, but i am putting the post up with info that is related to this hire: (fyi this is not a ray lamb position)

I think we are trying to build a recruiting "team." This is something I've complained about on here many times. We don't have enough liaison between the high school coaches and the program imo.

Remember I told you this:

This isn't a hire to add another coach to "recruit." This will be important when you hear the name. His job will be to build formidable relationships with the coaches and keep good contact with them about the needs and wants. We need to build a better foundation amongst the high school coaches in the state of Georgia. We need to make the high school coaches in Georgia our "little brothers" and treat them as such. This is the BEST way to put up a fence around the state, other than winning, and the wins won't come until the talent does.

I think it will be official by week's end imo.

Just remember many will say "huh" and "what" but his job won't be to "recruit" kids. His job will be to sell UGA and do tons of calling and providing help to make the relationships better with the high schools, which is brilliant, even if I said it.

Every program has a HS liaison or director of HS relations, etc, which is not what this position is about.

This is new role that has emerged in college recruiting very recently and Bama is known for. This will be a full staff, led by someone with a serious title and experience. They'll manage every part of the process from scouting and identifying talent, to cultivating recruiting relationships at every level, be it with the high school, the recruit, his family, his friends and inner circles. They'll find and engage kids earlier than we do today and they'll know what they eat for breakfast each day

It will take the detail and thoroughness of our recruiting to a new level.

I am intrigued, Sac, in your opinion do you think it will be a recognizable name?? Also, do you believe like the other poster that word should come down this week?

thanks

that's hard to answer because i don't who you know of verses who i know. i doubt it will be someone no one has heard of before.. yes i think it should be announced sometime this week if not leaked out.

I'd imagine it would be a guy who's had a lot of experience with recruiting, not one who just retired from the NFL a few days ago.

I dont think this argument holds all that much weight. I mean yeah the person has to be familiar with recruiting and the NCAA, but Hines Ward is. Can you see Hines Ward going into these meeting with coaches and recruits? He is an NFL hall of famer in waiting. I think that would be a great hire. That would be much cooler to a bunch of high schoolers than getting a Nick Saban to come to your school to see you IMO. Who could sell UGA better than Hinesy?

Well this sounds good, but our recruiting has been pretty good iyam (except for falling a little short of 85). There's only so much room for improvement when you already have a good thing going. Is there something else I'm just missing....help please?

yes we can always improve and this would help us a lot. this position and team will be for working with high school coaches and helping us build relationships with them. the high school coach is one of if not the most impt person in a player's recruitment. we have soo many teams coming into our state and battling with us that we could get even more help in our recruiting battles. we are doing very good, but we could always do better and need to if we are to fight off out of state schools.

I like the idea personally. Is this something McGarity picked up at UF?

this was a request by CMR i believe. why do you think it took so long for the extension to be completed? it wasn't the money or the length.. CMR wanted more staff and he is getting more money spent in hires such as what we are finally spending for S&C.. just an fyi guys please read the above posts i put up. they explain stuff and this is exactly what bama has in place with their recruiting team among other rivals.

I dont think this argument holds all that much weight. I mean yeah the person has to be familiar with recruiting and the NCAA, but Hines Ward is. Can you see Hines Ward going into these meeting with coaches and recruits? He is an NFL hall of famer in waiting. I think that would be a great hire. That would be much cooler to a bunch of high schoolers than getting a Nick Saban to come to your school to see you IMO. Who could sell UGA better than Hinesy?

i think a high school coach from the state of georgia who already has a knowledge of our state and also knows what would help in developing relationships with other high school coaches would be a better hire or someone who has coached at that level.. i like hines ward but he has no idea how to run a recruiting team. i believe hines ward being a GA would be a much better option. he isn't hurting for money. this job is not to recruit players at all. that is not the purpose of the position. that isn't a knock on hines ward at all, but i see espn or the nfl network in his future.. he will be on tv very soon.

yes we can always improve and this would help us a lot. this position and team will be for working with high school coaches and helping us build relationships with them. the high school coach is one of if not the most impt person in a player's recruitment. we have soo many teams coming into our state and battling with us that we could get even more help in our recruiting battles. we are doing very good, but we could always do better and need to if we are to fight off out of state schools.

OK I hope we get out in front of anything the other schools are doing. As long as it's within the rules anyway. Sounds like whoever has those connections is going to come from instate and maybe be a HS coach who's been around a few big programs. I have no names but you can only get those connections over time in the area.

i think a high school coach from the state of georgia who already has a knowledge of our state and also knows what would help in developing relationships with other high school coaches would be a better hire or someone who has coached at that level.. i like hines ward but he has no idea how to run a recruiting team. i believe hines ward being a GA would be a much better option. he isn't hurting for money. this job is not to recruit players at all. that is not the purpose of the position. that isn't a knock on hines ward at all, but i see espn or the nfl network in his future.. he will be on tv very soon.

This is a good analysis. The position isn't going to be someone we are sending into the homes of athletes to recruit and win over parents. If it were, then someone charismatic such as Herschel or Hines would be a no brainer. As I understand it, it is someone who will be behind the scenes fostering relationships with high school coaches, coordinating recruiting events, following the ever changing social networking aspect of recruiting, creating momentum with strategic commitments going public, etc. A recruiting puppet master if you will. Someone who will prevent any kind of Devin Burns incident from happening again and keep our recruiting smooth and organized. I'm intrigued to see who we do hire.

i think a high school coach from the state of georgia who already has a knowledge of our state and also knows what would help in developing relationships with other high school coaches would be a better hire or someone who has coached at that level.

great point. getting a georgia high school coach could be huge. especially if he's a south georgia coach (e.g. valdosta, lowndes) where so many get away to fsu and so on.