What Day Is Comp Picks Given Out?

Draftnut57

Who did we lose that we should get a pick for?

This was the best breakdown given so far (that I've seen) by theProf to answer this question...

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:20 AM

The Falcons lost UFA's Koenen and Dahl, and signed UFA's Ray Edwards and Reggie Kelly. Atlanta also signed James Sanders and Kelvin Hayden, but these two will not count in the comp formula against the Falcons because they were released. Reggie Kelly may or may not count in the comp formula, as he may have signed for less than a threshold minimum amount. However, Kelly had to sign for at least the over 10-year vet minimum, which is over previous years' threshold minimums.

Therefore, if Reggie Kelly does count in the comp formula, then Atlanta will receive NO compensatory pick, because they would not be in a net loss situation. If Kelly does not count as a qualified compensatory free agent signing, then Atlanta would be due one compensatory draft pick, since they would have a net loss of one.

In that case, either Dahl or Koenen, whoever has the higher annual compensation, will cancel out Ray Edwards. Then Dahl or Koenen's annual compensation, whoever is the lesser, will be used to determine in what round Atlanta's compensatory pick will be awarded. Dahl's contract details with the Rams have never been disclosed. Koenen signed with the Bucs for an annual compensation of $3.25 million per year, which would probably equate to a 6th round comp pick, but ONLY if Reggie Kelly does NOT count as a qualified compensatory signing in the comp formula.

This was the best breakdown given so far (that I've seen) by theProf to answer this question...

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:20 AM

The Falcons lost UFA's Koenen and Dahl, and signed UFA's Ray Edwards and Reggie Kelly. Atlanta also signed James Sanders and Kelvin Hayden, but these two will not count in the comp formula against the Falcons because they were released. Reggie Kelly may or may not count in the comp formula, as he may have signed for less than a threshold minimum amount. However, Kelly had to sign for at least the over 10-year vet minimum, which is over previous years' threshold minimums.

Therefore, if Reggie Kelly does count in the comp formula, then Atlanta will receive NO compensatory pick, because they would not be in a net loss situation. If Kelly does not count as a qualified compensatory free agent signing, then Atlanta would be due one compensatory draft pick, since they would have a net loss of one.

In that case, either Dahl or Koenen, whoever has the higher annual compensation, will cancel out Ray Edwards. Then Dahl or Koenen's annual compensation, whoever is the lesser, will be used to determine in what round Atlanta's compensatory pick will be awarded. Dahl's contract details with the Rams have never been disclosed. Koenen signed with the Bucs for an annual compensation of $3.25 million per year, which would probably equate to a 6th round comp pick, but ONLY if Reggie Kelly does NOT count as a qualified compensatory signing in the comp formula.

I sure don't think Kelly should be compared to Dahl or Koenen at all! But I hope they see that. Not even close in my book. And I'm not just saying that because I want and need that extra pick. Even a 7 would be fine with me. We need it.