My "inside Source" Says Smitty Must Win A Playoff Game This Coming Season

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Money dont grow on trees. And Smitty and TD is costing this franchise alot of money with their conservative play and their "3 stooges" mismanagement of the front office.

Posts like this make me miss the negative button so much. There is an article that Schefter posted a while back, about some of the best coaches this league has ever had didn't have 3-4 year runs right up to the Lombardi. Since I read it the first time, this is always what comes to mind when I think of the idea that TD and Smitty should be on any kind of hot seat after 4 seasons going into their 5th:

Three years ago, the NFL found itself in a similar position to where it is today. In the days following black Monday, teams scrambled to hire head coaches to replace the ones they fired. Cleveland hired Eric Mangini, Denver tabbed Josh McDaniels, Indianapolis named Jim Caldwell, Kansas City hired Todd Haley and Oakland named Tom Cable. St. Louis hired Steve Spagnuolo, San Francisco tabbed Mike Singletary, Seattle named Jim Mora, Tampa Bay hired Raheem Morris, Detroit announced Jim Schwartz and the New York Jets hired Rex Ryan.

The coaching class of 2009 has hardly distinguished itself. Of the 11 men hired to be the answer a mere three years ago, only three remain on the job, and one of those, Caldwell, still is on shaky ground. Otherwise, NFL owners have treated head coaches as if they were as disposable as yesterday's newspaper. Something is wrong here. In a society that craves results now, in a world that demands excellence every day, head coaches rarely are allowed the time they need to grow into the job and master it. Reminders of it come every year at this time. Head coaches are fired, head coaches are hired and the coaching carousel spins without producing in the ways NFL owners had hoped. Every NFL owner who recently changed head coaches, or still is considering it, also needs to study his sport's history.

Hall of Fame coach Tom Landry did not make the playoffs until his seventh season as a head coach and he didn't win his first NFL playoff game until his eighth season in Dallas. Today he would have been fired twice over.

Hall of Fame coach Chuck Noll did not make the playoffs until his fourth season, after he had compiled a 12-30 record during his first three seasons in Pittsburgh. He never would have made it today. Hall of Fame coach Don Shula didn't win a playoff game until his sixth season as a head coach in Baltimore, and went 0-2 in the postseason during his first five seasons. He probably would have been fired before getting the chance to become Shula.

The rare teams with continuity -- New England, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New Orleans, Philadelphia and the New York Giants -- are allowed to operate efficiently while taking advantage of competitors that are not. But the teams that give their head coaches time, patience and, of course, a quarterback are the ones that find themselves playing in this postseason. In today's world, everyone loves eating the turkey, but no one wants to wait around for it to cook. They'd rather microwave it. Unfortunately, it's not as tasty or savory, much like the seasons some of these unstable NFL franchises continually experience.

Just last month, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross said he intends to hire a "young Don Shula." Doesn't every team. The problem is, few do. Or maybe they actually do, but don't take the time to find out.

Edited by Magic Man

And the Chargers have won how many Super Bowls since that glorious decision? Oh, wait...

You could even say they havent been close to what they were when MARTY was there.

Im a BIG Saints fan and Id rather yall get rid of Smith! lol

Some people dont know what they have till its gone.

Changing OC and DC is what Coaches do to try and get that next step forward when it hasnt worked out the way he wanted.. It wasnt working with MM and BVG, so SMith made the move to NEW play callers.

Id say give him another 3-4 years atleast

I definitely see your side of this Vel. The finger is pointed when teams aren't getting results in certain situations. MM and BVG were shown the door because we haven't got it done when we needed to. Now if MM and BVG where the sole reason for our problems are up for debate, but I don't truly think that they were. Although they were a big part. At some point Smith is gonna have to take responsibility being the head coach, if we continue to fail to get it done.

True if the new Oc and DC transition doesn't go smoothly, it may not totally be Smith fault. But coaches have been released when things are not there fault. It happens. Mike Smith may be around for another 5 years or just one more. Honestly who knows?

True, I think Smitty had some fault as well. He wasn't the same fiery Smitty from 08. The whole team lost that fire. But I think all the changes to the coaching staff will be good in the long run. They got him a proven assistant, a fiery and passionate DC that he knows, an OC who will go for the jugular and use all the talent so Smitty doesn't have to dabble in the offense anymore, and an OLine coach who will keep his QB upright or die trying.

But Smitty needs to coach the guys the same way he does after the lose every time. They shouldn't have to lose to come out and play like they are unbeatable.

I definitely see your side of this Vel. The finger is pointed when teams aren't getting results in certain situations. MM and BVG were shown the door because we haven't got it done when we needed to. Now if MM and BVG where the sole reason for our problems are up for debate, but I don't truly think that they were. Although they were a big part. At some point Smith is gonna have to take responsibility being the head coach, if we continue to fail to get it done.

True if the new Oc and DC transition doesn't go smoothly, it may not totally be Smith fault. But coaches have been released when things are not there fault. It happens. Mike Smith may be around for another 5 years or just one more. Honestly who knows?

I don't remember MM and BVG being shown the door.

Sure is a lot of wishful thinking and revisionist history in this thread.

Guest Fibonacci

my inside source says that they know for a fact saints and pats were cheating. My inside source also says that your inside source is very deranged and does not understand that it is your guy who will be fired. I am furthermore told it was cause your guy stole a McRib and coffee from Smith in the morning. (hey Smith likes his McRib in the morning and they specially make it, according to my inside source). I was also told that you sucked venom out from a special spot from your inside source and that is the reason they want your inside source fired. They found it wrong for two reasons; ONE: Vilma and brees youtubed it and got off to it, TWO: it was not venom.

sorry Dominque, I had to let the truth be told just like your trying to do. but if your inside source goes back to just being the door opener at wally world, then everything will be fine. Trust Me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKTHOFkYA64

Vel, just to clarify, I don't want Smitty gone. I just would not be surprised of the loyalty is running short. This is a "what have you done for me lately" league and the falcons have not moved forward toward a superbowl since smitty's first year.

In all fainess he has. Only 6 teams a year make the playoffs in the NFC every year and that has been us 3 out of 4 years. One of those years he locked up homefield.

Now with all that being said we lost, but it is an accomplishment to be in the playoffs that often. Head coaches are like QB they get way too much credit for wins and grief for losses. The head coach is only as good as his coordinators. I honestly believe that we have better coordinators that we have had before.

Well in a round about way one was. The NFL is the pinnacle of football. One of the guys was basically demoted when he was hired by Auburn. If the Falcons wanted to keep him they would have at no cost, but they said see ya.

Edited by N1985oles!

Exactly. People just want just keep following the company line. Hmm. Must be the cooordinators, both are gone. Coaches, Well lets see, Oline coach fired, why, did he have anything to do with drafting of Sam Baker, or any subsequental drafts/FA signings? Dline coach gone, Allrighty now, was he involved in the decision making process when we drafted P.Jerry? Did BVG have any meaniful input in the acquitions(defensively), of recent FA signings, DROB, Edwards?. Who's responsibilty would that be? JMHO, Smitty, like the recently departed coaching staff, were not then, the root of the reason why the Atlanta Falcons have not recently displayed any kind of competence when playing quality/playoff opponents. I guess with new coordinators/coaches in place this year, guess we'll see. Yes Dimitroff is instrumental in the past 4 year success of the Falcons, couldn't the same be said about MM/BVG, and the rest of the coaching staff that were the Message board whipping boards? Running out of excuses Ladies/ gentlemen.

Bottom line - Smitty/Dimitroff, Smitty ends up being the last man standing.

Edited by vabchbirdlover

But lately, he won 40 games and made the Falcons a perennial contender, something they've never been. That is a step in the direction of Blank's new stadium. If the Falcons start sucking, all bets are off for that stadium. Period. So firing Smitty next year if they don't win a playoff game is not smart unless Blank has his stadium confirmed. Everybody keeps saying "it's a business" but overlooking this important part.

Smitty lost his safety nets in MM and BVG this year, but with new coordinators, he gets at least 2 years. Who's to say the transition to a new offense AND defense is going to go smoothly? Would that really be Smitty's fault if it didn't? No.

yea but you cnt just assume smitty gets 2yrs to see if this will fit.. if kotter came in and sucked it up just as bad as jax i kno you dnt believe he will be back the following yr? Smitty would be out right with him, i kno thats not going to happen but just stating an example thats all...

They sure weren't attempted to be retained too much...

It's hilarious if you think MM and BVG were both going to be back if they didn't get other jobs. At the least, MM was a goner.

@vabchbirdlover - the OLine coach didn't have a say in the OL picked, but he definitely was responsible for the lack of development that occured. Just like you are saying with TD/Smitty, a better OLine coach option came available and they made the move. But I guess that isn't that same as what you want with Smitty/TD huh? Oh, and the DLine coach isn't gone. But I guess it's TD's fault Jerry suffered the worst injury of his career and rendered him useless right? He should have known that was going to happen right? I am willing to bet BVG had input on defensive acquisitions, heIl he was the one who was going to have to utilize them. If you think otherwise, you are just a fool, to put it simply.

You want to pin the blame on TD just making all of these erroneous moves without input from anyone. Ok, go ahead, fire him. Who do you replace him with? I bet TD gets hired before you even think of a name for a replacement.

yea but you cnt just assume smitty gets 2yrs to see if this will fit.. if kotter came in and sucked it up just as bad as jax i kno you dnt believe he will be back the following yr? Smitty would be out right with him, i kno thats not going to happen but just stating an example thats all...

So all of these coaching changes are made and expected to just be flawless and if they aren't we can both our new OC AND our HC. Yep, that's the mark of a winning franchise.

Any of us could run out there and be the OC and not field the 32nd ranked offense with the kind of talent available so that's no happening. The guy is a competent OC and will at the very least rank #16 with this roster. Yes, a step back, but not enough to warrant his or Smitty's dismissal. Yes, Smitty is off the hook this season with the number of changes that have happened. The whole team has to learn new playbooks. More complex playbooks than they had just a few months ago.

They sure weren't attempted to be retained too much...

It's hilarious if you think MM and BVG were both going to be back if they didn't get other jobs. At the least, MM was a goner.

@vabchbirdlover - the OLine coach didn't have a say in the OL picked, but he definitely was responsible for the lack of development that occured. Just like you are saying with TD/Smitty, a better OLine coach option came available and they made the move. But I guess that isn't that same as what you want with Smitty/TD huh? Oh, and the DLine coach isn't gone. But I guess it's TD's fault Jerry suffered the worst injury of his career and rendered him useless right? He should have known that was going to happen right? I am willing to bet BVG had input on defensive acquisitions, heIl he was the one who was going to have to utilize them. If you think otherwise, you are just a fool, to put it simply.

You want to pin the blame on TD just making all of these erroneous moves without input from anyone. Ok, go ahead, fire him. Who do you replace him with? I bet TD gets hired before you even think of a name for a replacement.

My bad about hamilton, I stand corrected. With all the coaches changes, it's confusing. All I state is my opinion, if it dosen't coincide with yours (We all know that you had such a hard on for MM), and I respect your opinion, but must we resort to another poster's opinion with deorgratory retorts because it doesn't mesh with your's? Really? But the bigger fool (Opinion - not fact) is one is truely thinks that the reason we haven't recent ly mattered in games against quality/playoff games is due to the coaching.

Edited by vabchbirdlover