My "inside Source" Says Smitty Must Win A Playoff Game This Coming Season

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That should be a given. In this competetive sports world, there is not much room for coaches that don't make it over 4 or 5 seasons. They all get sent packing whether it be basketball, football or whatever. And it needs to bethis way. If not, complacency breeds and tx sales drop.

Your inside source says Blank is a liar? Sounds like bs to me.

Has any NFL owner ever come out openly and "hot-seated" his head coach?

Isn't there something commonly referred to as "The Dreaded Vote of Confidence?"

Not saying the OP isn't pulling our leg, but to use Blank's statement as proof seems a little naive.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/3/2/2839707/randy-edsall-maryland-wallace-loh

http://deadspin.com/5866111/jerry-jones-gives-jason-garrett-the-dreaded-vote-of-confidence

http://afootballreport.com/post/445152373/the-dreaded-vote-of-confidence

Your inside source says Blank is a liar? Sounds like bs to me.

It cracks me up how alot of fans put so much faith in the CEO's, GM's and Owners of pro fooball teams. They are no different than any one else, they tell untruths as much as the next guy. That being said I think Blank is a very good owner, but he is not gonna come out and say Smith is on the hot seat even if he was. That press conference gave me a totally different spin on what Blank is now saying. In the heat of the moment the truths are revealed.

I was watching John Elway back tracking during one of his interviews yesterday. Dude was trying to defends every thing he was saying about Tebow last year. But one thing that I noticed that he said is that this is a business, things and opinions change. Don't think Arthur Blank isn't running a business as well. I definitely wouldn't want to be in Smith shoes after another 1 and done.

Or he's gone. My source is someone who works at flowery branch but I won't say more than that.

(null)

given the Falcons schedule difficulty and emergence of some new young teams(Lions/Niners) and some teams that had off years (Eagles/Cowboys/Bears) - it will be an accomplishment just to make the playoffs - obviously once you get there you got to win.

But don't undersell just getting to the playoffs.

9 or 10 wins won't cut it this year. We either better be greatly improved from new Coaching and hit 11+ for wildcard, or win the division. The Bucs don't look like a 10 win team, Carolina will get 8-10, they aren't improved enough for a 5 game jump. Saints we will know more shortly, but I expect a 10-12 win season from them. They still got Brees afterall. 11-5 or we don't make it.

You really shouldn't listen to what the custodian's are saying. No way Smith is gone, even if we don't make the playoff's.

Smith is a good head coach and i'm sure a lot of other teams woulld love to have him.

I mean really, how much can you guys expect out of a head coach?

During his first head coaching tenure the hapless falcons have had 4 straight winning seasons, 3 trips to the playoffs, and he is very close to being the winningest head coach in falcon history.

Why can't you people use some common sence?

You really shouldn't listen to what the custodian's are saying. No way Smith is gone, even if we don't make the playoff's.

Smith is a good head coach and i'm sure a lot of other teams woulld love to have him.

I mean really, how much can you guys expect out of a head coach?

During his first head coaching tenure the hapless falcons have had 4 straight winning seasons, 3 trips to the playoffs, and he is very close to being the winningest head coach in falcon history.

Why can't you people use some common sence?

^^^THIS. We just extended his contract last year and it is all guranteed. Add up the available information. Blank's comments were not mildly supportive, they were cut in stone.

Or he's gone. My source is someone who works at flowery branch but I won't say more than that.

(null)

I have an inside source that says your inside source is one step away from the unemployment line. I've confirmed it with a second unnamed source who also says your inside source missed cleaning a spot in bathroom stall number 9. He has another inside source that claims you inside source is a Saints fan.

This fanbase is hilarious. We get stability and any kind of sense of accomplishment and they are ready to boot those responsible out because they can't provide more to feed their insatiable need for more success, success they were so deprived of for so long.

Yes, this is a business. Smitty and TD have made the Falcons relevant. He is not going to fire them because they have racked up 40+ wins in 4 years and field a consistently winning team for the first time in this franchise's history. That is bringing in money for him for his stadium. Fire TD and Smitty and we go back into that black hole of turmoil again. Yes, Smitty needs to start winning games, but if he loses a playoff game the way the Ravens and 49ers lose on his first out and it's the Super Bowl champs/contenders for a fourth straight time, I don't see how you fire him. But if they lose 24-2 again, then his seat will be plenty hot.

This fanbase is hilarious. We get stability and any kind of sense of accomplishment and they are ready to boot those responsible out because they can't provide more to feed their insatiable need for more success, success they were so deprived of for so long.

Yes, this is a business. Smitty and TD have made the Falcons relevant. He is not going to fire them because they have racked up 40+ wins in 4 years and field a consistently winning team for the first time in this franchise's history. That is bringing in money for him for his stadium. Fire TD and Smitty and we go back into that black hole of turmoil again. Yes, Smitty needs to start winning games, but if he loses a playoff game the way the Ravens and 49ers lose on his first out and it's the Super Bowl champs/contenders for a fourth straight time, I don't see how you fire him. But if they lose 24-2 again, then his seat will be plenty hot.

Vel, just to clarify, I don't want Smitty gone. I just would not be surprised of the loyalty is running short. This is a "what have you done for me lately" league and the falcons have not moved forward toward a superbowl since smitty's first year.

Vel, just to clarify, I don't want Smitty gone. I just would not be surprised of the loyalty is running short. This is a "what have you done for me lately" league and the falcons have not moved forward toward a superbowl since smitty's first year.

But lately, he won 40 games and made the Falcons a perennial contender, something they've never been. That is a step in the direction of Blank's new stadium. If the Falcons start sucking, all bets are off for that stadium. Period. So firing Smitty next year if they don't win a playoff game is not smart unless Blank has his stadium confirmed. Everybody keeps saying "it's a business" but overlooking this important part.

Smitty lost his safety nets in MM and BVG this year, but with new coordinators, he gets at least 2 years. Who's to say the transition to a new offense AND defense is going to go smoothly? Would that really be Smitty's fault if it didn't? No.

Money dont grow on trees. And Smitty and TD is costing this franchise alot of money with their conservative play and their "3 stooges" mismanagement of the front office.

Yea...a ton of money... dry.png

When's the last time Blank had 4 winning seasons, this many primetime games in 4 seasons, sold out games in four seasons, and 3 playoff appearances, which bring more money, in a season? That's a lot of money Blank is losing.

But lately, he won 40 games and made the Falcons a perennial contender, something they've never been. That is a step in the direction of Blank's new stadium. If the Falcons start sucking, all bets are off for that stadium. Period. So firing Smitty next year if they don't win a playoff game is not smart unless Blank has his stadium confirmed. Everybody keeps saying "it's a business" but overlooking this important part.

Smitty lost his safety nets in MM and BVG this year, but with new coordinators, he gets at least 2 years. Who's to say the transition to a new offense AND defense is going to go smoothly? Would that really be Smitty's fault if it didn't? No.

I definitely see your side of this Vel. The finger is pointed when teams aren't getting results in certain situations. MM and BVG were shown the door because we haven't got it done when we needed to. Now if MM and BVG where the sole reason for our problems are up for debate, but I don't truly think that they were. Although they were a big part. At some point Smith is gonna have to take responsibility being the head coach, if we continue to fail to get it done.

True if the new Oc and DC transition doesn't go smoothly, it may not totally be Smith fault. But coaches have been released when things are not there fault. It happens. Mike Smith may be around for another 5 years or just one more. Honestly who knows?