Fa Still On The Market

dsgbncali

I think we need to address the DE & LB now. I would like to see us get these players. i caught this little blog on PFT. the players I'm looking at are Manny Lawson and Derek Landri.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/20/tim-tebow-tells-friends-hes-not-surprised-hopes-to-play-in-florida/related/

next I think we need to address the CB and I think we need to go after either Allan Ball DB Cowboys or Zack Bowman DB Bears. both are over 6 ft and should be cheap. well maybe not too cheap but we should be able to squeeze them in.

just wanted to here some feedback

I think we need to address the DE & LB now. I would like to see us get these players. i caught this little blog on PFT. the players I'm looking at are Manny Lawson and Derek Landri.

http://profootballta...lorida/related/

next I think we need to address the CB and I think we need to go after either Allan Ball DB Cowboys or Zack Bowman DB Bears. both are over 6 ft and should be cheap. well maybe not too cheap but we should be able to squeeze them in.

just wanted to here some feedback

We don't need to adress MLB if we adress DT......

Why does Manny Lawson always pop up on this board every offseason? No, no, and no. There is no room for him. Spoon and Nicholas are our OLBs. Lawson isn't going to be a back up.

Linebackers: Stephen Nicholas, Curtis Lofton and Sean Weatherspoon, ATL

Nicholas is a prototypical 4-3 strongside linebacker who defends the run well and has some pass rushing ability. I would say Atlanta should try to get him on the field more (he played just 286 snaps), but there’s no way he’s taking reps away from the other two. What a sophomore year it was for Weatherspoon who looked a far cry from the player who struggled so much in 2010. Lofton rounds out the group here and he’s a big reason why the Falcons are solid against the run despite their sub-par tackle play. It says a lot about this division that no player came close to challenging the Falcons’ trio.

Why does Manny Lawson always pop up on this board every offseason? No, no, and no. There is no room for him. Spoon and Nicholas are our OLBs. Lawson isn't going to be a back up.

i agree with you on Spoon. but if Lofton has bad knees he becomes a liability.

and I ain't sold on Nicholas

and I ain't sold on Nicholas

For some reason, this board doesn't appreciate Nicholas. The guy is a good LB. A lot of people just don't understand the game so you don't realize Nicholas is a good SLB. Especially for his price. He was better at taking on blocks than Spoon and Lofton.

More snaps needed

Stephen Nicholas: +5.9 from 286 snaps

Atlanta didn’t get as much production from their pass rush as they had hoped, especially in their sub package defense on 3rd-and-long. Part of the problem came the lack of push up the middle from anyone not named Jonathan Babineaux. One way to counter this would be to get a bit more creative and use more 3-3-5 alignments, as had seemingly become the norm in 2010. Nicholas, who missed time through injury as well, would fit in very handily as one of these three linebackers, as he and Weatherspoon displayed an ability to generate pressure off the edge. However they do it, the Nicholas’ play seems to dictate he should be a bigger part of the defense.

9. Stephen Nicholas, Atlanta Falcons, 4-3 OLB

2010 Grade: +6.9

Key Stat: Had PFF’s top coverage grade among 4-3 OLB’s in 2010.

Behind The Numbers: Nicholas is an odd inclusion here as a linebacker that was stronger in coverage than against the run this season. Truth is, Nicholas was an average to slightly above average defender in both departments week-in and week-out, but showing the ability to cover tight ends and running backs will make him stand out when teams go shopping to fill that particular need. Consider him a counter piece to James Anderson (thoughly clearly notches down) when looking at free agents on the strongside.

For some reason, this board doesn't appreciate Nicholas. The guy is a good LB. A lot of people just don't understand the game so you don't realize Nicholas is a good SLB. Especially for his price. He was better at taking on blocks than Spoon and Lofton.

its not that I don't appreciate what Nicholas has been for us all I'm saying is we should be able to do better then him. He would be released on a championship team

3. Manny Lawson, Cincinnati Bengals

2011 Grade: +10.2

Key Stat: Missed just two tackles against the run and did not have a penalty called against him all season.

Behind the Numbers: After having played outside in San Francisco’s 3-4, it was interesting watching Lawson adjust to playing in a four-man front. He surpassed almost all expectations and, if anything, looked more suited to the Bengals’ scheme. While Lawson may only be a two-down player (he graded negatively in coverage) he does have some versatility in that he can play with his hand on the ground if needed. He hasn’t quite had the success of Kamerion Wimbley in Oakland but he is a solid role player who should continue to improve.

Two down player. Nicholas already played that role, and well, the last two years. Even PFF points out he deserves more snaps. Lawson graded negative in pass coverage.

Let me ask: Why do you think Lawson would be a better fit over Nicholas?

its not that I don't appreciate what Nicholas has been for us all I'm saying is we should be able to do better then him. He would be released on a championship team

Actually, he would be PLAYED on a championship team. Name me any bad plays where you were like "Nicholas what the heIl were you thinking?!"

Two down player. Nicholas already played that role, and well, the last two years. Even PFF points out he deserves more snaps. Lawson graded negative in pass coverage.

Let me ask: Why do you think Lawson would be a better fit over Nicholas?

Lawson have the skill set to cover just not the instincts and I would prefer him over Nicholas because if we run a hybrid he will be better suited to rush the passer.

Lawson have the skill set to cover just not the instincts and I would prefer him over Nicholas because if we run a hybrid he will be better suited to rush the passer.

He's got the skillset to cover. Yea, so does Lofton. If a player can't cover, he can't cover. You don't have to make excuses for him. I will agree that maybe his rush skills are better, but we have plenty of DEs for that. So basically, Lawson would be a 2 down player here. Why waste the time and money?

He's got the skillset to cover. Yea, so does Lofton. If a player can't cover, he can't cover. You don't have to make excuses for him. I will agree that maybe his rush skills are better, but we have plenty of DEs for that. So basically, Lawson would be a 2 down player here. Why waste the time and money?

WTF...Lofton is slow and stiff, Lawson is fast athletic and agile. He brings more to the table if we put Lawson in coverage a team want just target him. He is ok at man coverage but when you put him in a zone a let him roam he get out of position. And the point is he want be a 2 down player he will be a 3 down player. Rather he is covering, rushing, or run stopping he will be on the field.

WTF...Lofton is slow and stiff, Lawson is fast athletic and agile. He brings more to the table if we put Lawson in coverage a team want just target him. He is ok at man coverage but when you put him in a zone a let him roam he get out of position. And the point is he want be a 2 down player he will be a 3 down player. Rather he is covering, rushing, or run stopping he will be on the field.

So basically, AT BEST, Lawson is ok in coverage. Like I said, we have 5 DEs that we want to develop. Who do you take off the field on 3rd down so Lawson can rush the passer? Not Abe so that leaves LE. You just paid Biermann and Edwards to play, not sit on the bench and watch Lawson rush from the LE spot. Lawson would be a 2 down player here. Period. We have Abe, Edwards, Biermann, and Sidbury as our pass rushers. HeIl, Lawson was a FA last year when Nicholas was and we didn't even touch him. It's not happening. He is the most hyped non-Falcon on this board. The last 3 years, he has been brought up. It's hilarious because there is no justification for it.

Like I said:

Name me any bad plays where you were like "Nicholas what the heIl were you thinking?!" Lawson was good at stopping the run last year but rated negative in coverage. We are already good at stopping the run. Without Lawson. He isn't worth whatever he wants over Nicholas. Please find me reason why Nicholas doesn't cut it for you? What plays stand out where he just blew it. Yes, he doesn't make many plays, but the guy only played 286 snaps in 2011. That's 28.6/gm. He isn't a game changer, but he is really allowed to play in nickel situations because they played their MLB and Spoon. Not his fault, just a logical point to play your leader of the defense and your best coverage LB when you go 2 LB.

Actually, he would be PLAYED on a championship team. Name me any bad plays where you were like "Nicholas what the heIl were you thinking?!"

Nic would have easily made the Gmens Lbers.

I think Nic is great and if he was on the field instead of Lofton on 3rd and longs we wouldn't have had a problem with them IMO.

Nic would have easily made the Gmens Lbers.

I think Nic is great and if he was on the field instead of Lofton on 3rd and longs we wouldn't have had a problem with them IMO.

Thank you.

Nicholas doesn't get his due around here because BVG didn't play him enough. If he wasn't good TD would have signed Lawson instead of Nicholas last year when he has the chance. You can't give me a time where Nicholas was just picked on or made a bone head play, but he doesn't impress you and you want to replace him with a guy who was picked on in coverage because he has better pass rush skills, something that won't be used here.

We don't need to adress MLB if we adress DT......

Yeah like late in the draft. We have two starters Babineaux and Peters. We are fine at this position. Getting good depth in the fifth or sixth round is all we need for a fifth player at this position. Walker and Jerry can take care of the rest. Even Edwards played some DT too last year. Have bigger fish to fry than spending too much attention on someone who is going to ride the bench. The next argument will be well what if Babs or Peters go down with an injury? Well what if Ryan goes down? Abe? Gonzalez? Weatherspoon? Clabo? Thing is you could use that scenario for **** near ever position we have. Next...

So basically, AT BEST, Lawson is ok in coverage. Like I said, we have 5 DEs that we want to develop. Who do you take off the field on 3rd down so Lawson can rush the passer? Not Abe so that leaves LE. You just paid Biermann and Edwards to play, not sit on the bench and watch Lawson rush from the LE spot. Lawson would be a 2 down player here. Period. We have Abe, Edwards, Biermann, and Sidbury as our pass rushers. HeIl, Lawson was a FA last year when Nicholas was and we didn't even touch him. It's not happening. He is the most hyped non-Falcon on this board. The last 3 years, he has been brought up. It's hilarious because there is no justification for it.

Like I said:

Name me any bad plays where you were like "Nicholas what the heIl were you thinking?!" Lawson was good at stopping the run last year but rated negative in coverage. We are already good at stopping the run. Without Lawson. He isn't worth whatever he wants over Nicholas. Please find me reason why Nicholas doesn't cut it for you? What plays stand out where he just blew it. Yes, he doesn't make many plays, but the guy only played 286 snaps in 2011. That's 28.6/gm. He isn't a game changer, but he is really allowed to play in nickel situations because they played their MLB and Spoon. Not his fault, just a logical point to play your leader of the defense and your best coverage LB when you go 2 LB.

3 down lineman 4 LBs Lawson is a OLB not a down lineman. Edwards can be one of the down lineman. The purpose of having him is to confuse the O rather he drops in coverage or rush the passer, they will have to guess. With Abe, Edwards, and Bierman you know the will rush or get beat in coverage.

Guest Gritz

It's hilarious how many people/posters naively believe that every player on "a championship team" has to be a Probowler.

There are role players on every single NFL team.....There are long snappers on every single NFL team.......championship caliber or not.

I disagree. the word has gotten out that Lofton has bad knees. that scares me. he will need to be replaced much sooner then expected.

Lofton isn't even on the team dude, of course we need to replace him sooner than later.... which is why we have. Dent+Tatupu > Lofton.