Sam Baker = "sacred Cow"

G-Wiz22

“We’ll continue to, again, analyze this roster. There are no… sacred cows. No question about it. I don’t care where we drafted them or how we’ve acquired them in free agency,” Dimitroff said back in January, as Blank added: “There might be some sacrificial cows, but no sacred cows”.

http://blog.atlantaf...ng-free-agency/

yeah right! these words came from TD's mouth, but for some reason Baker seems to be exempt when he has consistently shown that he is the weakest link. unless they're banking on new offensive line coach Pat Hill being some kind of savior who works miracles, the time to move is now. normally i give TD the benefit of doubt and i hope this post is premature and they're trying to hammer out a deal but if not, TD is going to have a lot of explaining to do!!!

I have to admit that the FA moves so far really don't mesh that well with the language I heard at that press conference. It seemed to indicate dramatic change and we certainly haven't seen that, at least not from a roster perspective. Maybe that's why people are so confused and reactionary. But perhaps Smitty and TD determined that all the true sacrificial cows were on the coaching staff.

I think it will be real obvious by 2/3 of the way through this season if Mularkey and BVG and the position coaches truly were the biggest problems. We may start slow because of the adjustments to a new staff, but if things are headed in the right direction we'll build a TON of momentum by playoff time.

i agree since68 but it just seems crazy that Baker is still on the roster, especially with the fact he's not been the picture of health himself. not only has he missed several games but when he does play it's an open invitation to our QB from the left side. maybe Mcneil isn't the answer but there are a few more LT's available that can't be any worse than Baker

Let me start this off with... I want us to atleast bring McNeil in for a visit and see what he can do.

ill say it again tho.. We just hired new Coordinators and a new O-Line Coach... The new O-Line coach looked at tape ... How do you not know Pat Hill didnt check out the tape and think,... Hmmm I think i can do something with this Baker guy... I think i can help him with his technique and punch.

I'm just saying.. I was pretty sure our coaching staff was done with him but if the new guy feel like he can do something with him... You have to let him.

Thats just something to think about

“We’ll continue to, again, analyze this roster. There are no… sacred cows. No question about it. I don’t care where we drafted them or how we’ve acquired them in free agency,” Dimitroff said back in January, as Blank added: “There might be some sacrificial cows, but no sacred cows”.

http://blog.atlantaf...ng-free-agency/

yeah right! these words came from TD's mouth, but for some reason Baker seems to be exempt when he has consistently shown that he is the weakest link. unless they're banking on new offensive line coach Pat Hill being some kind of savior who works miracles, the time to move is now. normally i give TD the benefit of doubt and i hope this post is premature and they're trying to hammer out a deal but if not, TD is going to have a lot of explaining to do!!!

Wouldn't it be smart to hang on to him through camp just to make sure you don't make a mistake by cutting him? Who knows, maybe the injuries and the coaching were the problems?

ill say it again tho.. We just hired new Coordinators and a new O-Line Coach... The new O-Line coach looked at tape ... How do you not know Pat Hill didnt check out the tape and think,... Hmmm I think i can do something with this Baker guy... I think i can help him with his technique and punch.

I'm just saying.. I was pretty sure our coaching staff was done with him but if the new guy feel like he can do something with him... You have to let him.

i can see that possibility and i know the FO doesn't owe the fans an explanation but it would be nice getting a heads up from them to ease the doubt about the left side some of us are dealing with. i guess in a way the coach kind of gave Baker a lil support during this offseason...smh

i can see that possibility and i know the FO doesn't owe the fans an explanation but it would be nice getting a heads up from them to ease the doubt about the left side some of us are dealing with. i guess in a way the coach kind of gave Baker a lil support during this offseason...smh

They cant do that... They cant say the O-Line coach want to keep him not us....They gotta back whoever is on this team

Let me start this off with... I want us to atleast bring McNeil in for a visit and see what he can do.

Thats just something to think about

That's exactly why I am not worried about this FA. We have competent coordinators and a OLine coach who can actually develop talent.

For instance, Jason Babin was a bust everywhere he went. But Washburn, a great DLine coach, took him and made him 20+ sack guy in two seasons. Alex Smith and Harbaugh. It's happened

Wouldn't it be smart to hang on to him through camp just to make sure you don't make a mistake by cutting him? Who knows, maybe the injuries and the coaching were the problems?

yeah it would be smart but it would be brilliant to go ahead and release him and sign someone else. we've seen him for 4yrs we know what he brings even on his good days! eh!...but what do i know? maybe after 4yrs he still can be coached up.

That's exactly why I am not worried about this FA. We have competent coordinators and a OLine coach who can actually develop talent.

For instance, Jason Babin was a bust everywhere he went. But Washburn, a great DLine coach, took him and made him 20+ sack guy in two seasons. Alex Smith and Harbaugh. It's happened

Good example

What is with this assumption that baker is going to start? He came back after injury to not be thrust into the starting LT spot, and then was tried at RG and ultimately benched from that role also. He is depth. You don't let someone go in hopes that you will find someone new. You never know what is going to happen with player visits. So until we get a new LT whether it is a starter or a backup to Svitek, Baker is here to stay at least one more year until his contract is up after this year.