Walterfootball's Latest 5-Round Mock Draft Has Atlanta Selecting:

theProf

55. Atlanta Falcons: Philip Blake, C/G, Baylor

One of the Falcons' biggest needs is at center as Todd McClure, 35, is at the end of the line. If Atlanta doesn't land a veteran center, it would do well to land the second-rated center in the draft here in the second round.

Throughout 2011, Blake was an excellent pass protector for Robert Griffin III, while still opening up holes in the run game for running back Terrance Ganaway. The 6-foot-2, 312-pound Blake is a good athlete for his size. He has the strength to push tackles aside and surprising quickness to hit blocks on linebackers.

Blake started at center the past two years, having begun his collegiate career at tackle. To end the 2011 season, he had a lot of success going against Washington defensive tackle Alameda Ta'amu. Baylor was able to have a massive game on the ground to the tune of 482 yards. At the Senior Bowl, Blake showed the ability to play some guard as well, and he had a nice showing at the Combine.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2012charlie_2.php

85. Atlanta Falcons: Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse

The Falcons need help at defensive end. John Abraham was re-signed, but Atlanta needs a young end who is capable of pressuring the quarterback.

At first glance, Jones' 2011 production is not very impressive. As a redshirt junior, he accumulated only 38 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 7.5 tackles for a loss, two forced fumbles and one interception. However, when you consider that Jones accumulated that in only seven games, it looks much better. He missed five games with a leg injury in the first half of the season, but came back strong with four sacks in three games after returning to the lineup.

Jones (6-5, 265) has a nice combination of size and speed. He is physical with offensive linemen and understands leverage concepts. Jones does a good job of getting underneath the pads of linemen to get pressure on bull rushes. He has good pursuit skills and a quality motor. Typically, Jones tries to beat tackles with either his speed around the corner, or his strength on a bull rush. In the NFL, he is going to need to add some rip, spin and other pass-rushing moves.

Jones had four sacks as a sophomore, so he never had a season of big-time production at the college level. Like many underclassmen, Jones is a raw athlete who needs to be developed. In college, he could live off his athletic ability, but in the NFL, he will need to expand his game. Jones did not have a good performance at the Combine.

Pick change; previously Chris Polk, RB

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2012charlie_3.php

150. Atlanta Falcons: Robert Turbin, RB, Utah State

Michael Turner is coming towards the end of the line and made Walt's Top 10 Most Overrated NFL Players. The Falcons are going to have to think of replacing him.

Turbin (5-10, 222) is a sleeper prospect who has some speed and is extremely strong. He showed that off with good speed and strength at the Combine. In 2011, Turbin averaged 6.1 yards per carry with 1,517 yards rushing and 19 touchdowns. He caught 17 passes for 171 yards and four scores as well.

In 2009, Turbin broke out with 1,296 yards and 13 touchdowns. He missed the 2010 season because of an injury. Turbin is put together well and is a tough runner.

Pick change; previously Deangelo Peterson, TE

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2012charlie_5.php

The above mock draft was updated March 19 by walterfootball's Charlie Campbell. Walterfootball's previous 5-round mock draft dated March 11, before Abe was re-signed, by Walt as follows:

55. Atlanta Falcons: Cam Johnson, DE, Virginia

John Abraham is a free agent, and based on the ridiculous amount of money he's asking for ($12 million per year), he's priced himself out of Atlanta's range. The Falcons will need to draft a defensive end if they can't get one in free agency.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2012_2.php

85. Atlanta Falcons: Jeff Allen, OT, Illinois

The Giants manhandled Atlanta's offensive line in the playoffs. One of the issues was at left tackle, where Sam Baker was benched during the year. Will Svitek was solid in relief early, but really struggled down the stretch.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2012_3.php

149. Atlanta Falcons: Deangelo Peterson, TE, LSU

The Falcons will probably find a successor for Tony Gonzalez sometime this offseason.

Pick change; previously Chris Givens, WR

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2012_5.php

Don't object to the recent projections. Hope we start going BPA in the draft. Go for players then build schemes around them. Would really prefer OL & DL picks...a sleeper rb and a project physical specimen DE a la J Pierre Paul- (on an aside- this may be a trend with a lot of draft picks this year)

Blah don't like this one. We definitely don't need to waste a pick on a RB when we have Turner, just re-signed Snelling, and just drafted Rodgers.

And it seems like we've wasted sooooo many picks on DE's and none of them have turned into starters

The only we drafted with elite physical skills might turn out to be the best(Sidburry). I think Dimitroff is often guilty of taking guys with only avg. tools because he loves their football instincts. I don't think that works very well on the offensive or defensive line. And the two best picks so far(besides Ryan) are the only two where we just picked the best athletes--Spoon and Julio.

Ya disagree with the RB selection. Turner, Rodgers, and Snelling aren't going anywhere this year and we won't carry 4 RBs.

I see us taking a TE in round 2 or 3.

08 Turner, Norwood, Snelling

09 Turner, Norwood, Snelling, Stecker

10 Turner, Snelling, A. Smith, Gartrell Johnson

11 Turner, Snelling, Rodgers, A. Smith

NOW Turner, Snelling, Rodgers, A. Smith, D. Nance

Edited by delaigle

08 Turner, Norwood, Snelling

09 Turner, Norwood, Snelling, Stecker

10 Turner, Snelling, A. Smith, Gartrell Johnson

11 Turner, Snelling, Rodgers, A. Smith

NOW Turner, Snelling, Rodgers, A. Smith, D. Nance

But we didn't draft any of those 4th RB's and it'd be silly to waste a pick on one. How often did those guys even see the field?

Guest Gritz

So if the Falcons draft Phillip Blake are they admitting that they screwed up drafting Hawley?.....because Hawley is a center.

These offensive linemen aren't as interchangeable (position-wise) as many people seem to think on here.

But we didn't draft any of those 4th RB's and it'd be silly to waste a pick on one. How often did those guys even see the field?

Stecker was a UFA

Sure they played very little, but you can say the same about the #5/6 LBs, #4/5 WRs, #8/9 OL

etc does that mean they are not needed on the team?

The only we drafted with elite physical skills might turn out to be the best(Sidburry). I think Dimitroff is often guilty of taking guys with only avg. tools because he loves their football instincts. I don't think that works very well on the offensive or defensive line. And the two best picks so far(besides Ryan) are the only two where we just picked the best athletes--Spoon and Julio.

You have some great points here. Thing with Spoon & Julio...instincts and will to win were also there...would be sweet to start nabbing some beasts on the lines

So if the Falcons draft Phillip Blake are they admitting that they screwed up drafting Hawley?.....because Hawley is a center.

These offensive linemen aren't as interchangeable (position-wise) as many people seem to think on here.

This is exactly why we won't be drafting a center. TD isn't going to give up on Hawley that fast. Especially with the flux the OLine was going through, everybody looked bad with Baker and Reynolds. Hawley looked mediocre because he isn't a RG. Having two Centers in the middle of your line isn't ideal.

I don't see us taking a DE either as that just further dillutes the depth. If we take a DE, that means Matthews isn't going to develop and Sidbury has another hurdle he has to jump over to get any kind of playing time.

You don't waste picks on that far back of the depth chart

Look All I was doing was showing that they do carry 4RBs most of the time.

You said they did not --this was about the # of RBs--- not where they should come from or where they should fit on the depth chart.

My only objection was you saying they did not carry 4 RBs.. You keep adding in other qualifiers --- that's not the point I'm making-- just the # of RBs which you had in error.

ADDED Snelling was drafted in rnd 7 and spend the first half of his rookie season on the PS not even #4

Edited by delaigle

...it seems like we've wasted sooooo many picks on DE's and none of them have turned into starters
DEs, CBs and OLinemen. TD is inept at drafting these positions.

7 - 210 - Andrew Jackson - dead president

7 -230 - Cliff Matthews - bench warmer

3 - 98 - Mike Johnson - beat out by Garrett freakin Reynolds

4 - 117 - Joe Hawley - thrown around like a rag doll

5 - 135 - Dominique Franks - jury still out

3 - 90 - Crisp Owens - every NFL QB's favorite target

4 - 125 Lawrence Sidbury - won't start for at least three more years

5 - 138 - William Middleton - practice squad

5 - 156 Garrett Reynolds - got his job taken by Hawley and even SackMaker

1 - 21 - SackMaker Baker - traded two fkn second rounders for a T-Rex

3 -68 - Chevis Regal - TD even ran him off

5 - 154 - Kroy Biermann - Real Househusband of Atlanta. Got his job taken by RayRay

7 - 212 - Wilrey Fontenot - who?

Pitiful. Please don't let that mofo in the war room next month.

5 - 154 - Kroy Biermann - Real Househusband of Atlanta. Got his job taken by RayRay

Thanks to you I have a coffee stain on my white dress shirt due to your dead president joke. Anyway, the biggesst problem I see w/ this list are the numbers on the left hand column. Only 1 first round pick at some of the most crucial positions in football. And I can't bash the Baker pick, at the time I agreed w/ the pick. We had just selected the future QB and had to protect him. That year LT's were going like mad and TD made a move to grab the last one left w/ a possible 1st round grade. At the time I thought is was a smart move, but like you I'd like for Baker to be shown the door. But like I said, we need to invest higher picks in these 3 crucial areas.

Somehow I missed Peria Jerry in your list