Prometheus Trailer

Everybody at work is getting geeked up for "The Avengers", "Amazing Spiderman", "The Dark Night Rises", etc., but I keep trying to tell them to watch out for this. I remember being in the front role at a midnight showing of "Alien" more than 30 years ago and I can't wait to catch this movie, which is related to it, when it comes out.

I showed the videos to my girl who also likes the Alien movies and she asked me if there were another movie franchise I'd want to be remade or have a "gritty reboot" or prequel, since that's apparently the only ******* thing Hollywood knows how to do.

And I said Starship Troopers. Not just cuz I'm a scifi nerd and Heinlein is the **** and ALIEN INSECTS ARE SO F****ING COOL, but also it's way deeper than that with some pretty intersting early Cold War paranoia/propaganda and militarist politico-philosophical musings. And ******* mechanized gorilla exoskeleton armor suits.

IronBalls will probably not be getting laid tonight.

I showed the videos to my girl who also likes the Alien movies and she asked me if there were another movie franchise I'd want to be remade or have a "gritty reboot" or prequel, since that's apparently the only ******* thing Hollywood knows how to do.

And I said Starship Troopers. Not just cuz I'm a scifi nerd and Heinlein is the **** and ALIEN INSECTS ARE SO F****ING COOL, but also it's way deeper than that with some pretty intersting early Cold War paranoia/propaganda and militarist politico-philosophical musings. And ******* mechanized gorilla exoskeleton armor suits.

IronBalls will probably not be getting laid tonight.

"RoboCop". But that's in development right now. I bet they blow it, though.

• 2 months later...

The movie itself was well done. Great cinematography and directing. However they give you so little information on the situation and so little background info on the characters you can't really get into the movie. The most compelling and dynamic character in the movie is supposed to be an android. That's not good.

Characters were completely undeveloped and had wildly stupid reactions to events in order to propel the story. Huge plot-holes and major questions were left unanswered, some obviously to milk out a sequel or 2, but others apparently out of laziness or over-editing. None of the horror/suspense of the first movie, nor any of the action from the 2nd.

It was definitely pretty though.

There was a lot of hidden messages in the movie. The more I think about the movie the more I understand.

First you must understand what "Prometheus" means. Then you have to look at and try to understand the subtle motifs and symbolism that are spread through out this movie.

I would go in depth but don't want to spoil anything.

Just because you didn't catch or understand parts doesn't mean the creators of this movie were "lazy". They actually intended for you to think about everything going on, not just watch it and have it fed to you like most modern day films.

I think in order for you to appreciate this film you have to go into the theater thinking with an open mind as it does refer to religious themes, and parallel themes coinciding with such. You must also be ready to think about why certain events are happening and think of the meaning behind them.

That's all I can say for now, it is a deep movie and you'll have to examine every scene in accordance with the movies theme "Prometheus".

Enjoy this great film and don't come back like Iron disappointed in the film because you may not understand it.

Edited by A-TowN.-

There was a lot of hidden messages in the movie. The more I think about the movie the more I understand.

First you must understand what "Prometheus" means. Then you have to look at and try to understand the subtle motifs and symbolism that are spread through out this movie.

I would go in depth but don't want to spoil anything.

Just because you didn't catch or understand parts doesn't mean the creators of this movie were "lazy". They actually intended for you to think about everything going on, not just watch it and have it fed to you like most modern day films.

I think in order for you to appreciate this film you have to go into the theater thinking with an open mind as it does refer to religious themes, and parallel themes coinciding with such. You must also be ready to think about why certain events are happening and think of the meaning behind them.

That's all I can say for now, it is a deep movie and you'll have to examine every scene in accordance with the movies theme "Prometheus".

Enjoy this great film and don't come back like Iron disappointed in the film because you may not understand it.

**Some SPOILERS below**

I get the "Prometheus" part. That isn't very subtle- it's actually a pretty literal retelling of the myth with a sci-fi "Ancient Aliens" twist. Shaw = Pandora, the black "vases" = the box.

And I get the religious references- the Engineer sacrificing himself at the beginning to seed life, the decision to return 2000 years ago (hint) and wipe out humans. David taking Shaw's cross when he finds out she's miraculously "pregnant". Pseudo-philosophical questions about the relationship between creator and creation and moral lessons about "playing God", blah blah blah.

I really don't think Prometheus was "deep" or trying to get audiences to think. It was intentionally vague and left stuff unexplained so they could make a sequel.

The plot was jumpy and there were major gaps in logic- 35000 year old starmaps point to this planet but the captain tells us it was just a military installation where the Engineers kept their spaceships full of black goo when they decided to return to Earth 2000 years ago. David finds the telltale green slime on the wall that indicates Aliens had been there, but they aren't and it's never revisited.

Characters were idiotic. Nobody acts scared or surprised or astonished when they discover these amazing things.

When the 2 unscientific scientists are stuck overnight in the pyramid during the storm and there are "lifeforms" showing up on the map, nobody seems to care and the captain is more interested in hooking up with Charlize Theron (can't blame him there LOL). Then the biologist guy who plays with the space-cobra/proto-facehugger- C'MON. Very little reaction when the boyfriend gets fried up by Theron, and zero reaction when Shaw shows up covered in blood with staples across her stomach.

***Spoilers***

I agree there was a few times where I thought more would happen such as character development and reaction. However, while we learn all about these people throughout the movie, we cannot spend an entire movie developing them, it was long enough as it was.

We did learn a lot about several characters though. We learn about Vickers, David, Dr. Shaw, and the Engineers in extent through some notable characteristics and symbolism. For example, we know Vickers does not like to stray from her own agenda. We know she does not stray from what she is not familiar with and is set on her own benefit even if it costs other people harm. She is closed minded.

We see all of this throughout the movie, especially in her demise. She gets killed by this ship because, like a horse, she had her blinders on, not straying from her own set path to go only forward. All the had to do was move to the side, but that is not like her. I will say that Vickers (Charlize) is super fine.

We also know something about the Engineers, a founding principle laid down in the very first scene: acceptance of death, up to and including self-sacrifice, is right and proper in the creation of life. Prometheus, Osiris, John Barleycorn, and of course the Jesus of Christianity are all supposed to embody this same principle. It is held up as one of the most enduring human concepts of what it means to be 'good'.

Seen in this light, the perplexing obscurity of the rest of the film yields to an examination of the interwoven themes of sacrifice, creation, and preservation of life. We also discover, through hints, exactly what the nature of the clash between the Engineers and humanity entailed.

snippet from a website:

Movies.com: We had heard it was scripted that the Engineers were targeting our planet for destruction because we had crucified one of their representatives, and that Jesus Christ might have been an alien. Was that ever considered?

Ridley Scott: We definitely did, and then we thought it was a little too on the nose. But if you look at it as an “our children are misbehaving down there” scenario, there are moments where it looks like we’ve gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, "Let's send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it." Guess what? They crucified him.

We see agnst from the life giver towards the creation several times in this movie: Engineers towards humans (I find it funny how David gets his head ripped off then the Engineer uses David's head to beat David's creator (Weyland)). We also see angst from Dr. Shaw when she has seen what she has created.

Another common theme with the life giver is that they have their abdomen torn open, similar to how Prometheus (mythical one) was chained to a rock and condemned to have his liver ripped out and eaten every day by an eagle. (abdomen ripped out). We see Dr. Shaw's abdomen ripped when she creates that Vag looking monster lol, and when the Engineer's abdomen was ripped open when we see an Xenomorph created.

I will post more later.

Edited by A-TowN.-

The movie would've been a lot better if it was completely unrelated to the Alien franchise. Trying to tie it all in came off as jumbled and dumbed down the allegorical themes to a superficial level. Some scenes seemed like they were just thrown in so audiences wouldn't be too bored or to pander to fans of the original movies- the exploding head, the zombie-mutant-mohawk-dude attack, the last shot of the alien bursting out of the Engineer, etc.

I overstated when I said it SUCKED, and I'll definitely be watching the inevitable sequel to get answers for the cheap teasers they cynically posed, but it is a seriously disappointing film IMO.

It failed as an Alien prequel and as a more serious meditation on creation/origin.

Edited by IronBallsMcGinty

I just watched. I can live with it, I think I would have been more disappointed had I not seen this thread before hand lowering expectations. Nothing special in the story or performances, visually impressive and enough action and gore to satisfy that need. Could have been a lot better, especially for a prequel to a movie made 30 years ago and especially since it was Ridley Scott.