Even If All You Do Is Win, You Still Get Shown The Door..not In Matt Ryan's Case..

Im jus sayin..

Tebow got to the playoffs, beat a highly talented pittsburgh defense and now could be on the trading block when manning signs.

Matt ryan has yet to win a playoff game, but yet contract extensions have been talked about for him..

Dont get me wrong, i gots love for matty ice, but this goes to show, even if you do win, you still could get the axe. People said tebow is not your prototypical type QB..They also said he wouldnt be a 1st round draft pick, or he wouldnt be a starting QB, or he wouldnt make the playoffs, but he did all that. Matt has alot more FBI then tebow, not doubt about that, but the only thing that matters is winning. Manning in a red and black uni for 3 or 4 years would of been great.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flacco was handed the keys to a Mercedes, Tebow a nice Audi. Matt had to take a Yugo, and he's done more with less. Put Matt on either of those teams and you wouldn't be talking about him not winning a playoff game. I still don't know where this playoff game win thing came from. I could care less about playoff wins. I want Super Bowls. I believe and hope Matt will get us there.

Flacco was handed the keys to a Mercedes, Tebow a nice Audi. Matt had to take a Yugo, and he's done more with less. Put Matt on either of those teams and you wouldn't be talking about him not winning a playoff game. I still don't know where this playoff game win thing came from. I could care less about playoff wins. I want Super Bowls. I believe and hope Matt will get us there.

This^^

Go look at Flacco's stats in the playoffs before this year. The Ravens beat the Pats 2 years ago in the Playoffs 33-14 and Flacco threw 10 passes, completed 4 for 34yds and 1 INT. If Ryan ever threw 10 passes, that means he got hurt and couldn't finish the game.

Im jus sayin..

Tebow got to the playoffs, beat a highly talented pittsburgh defense and now could be on the trading block when manning signs.

Matt ryan has yet to win a playoff game, but yet contract extensions have been talked about for him..

Dont get me wrong, i gots love for matty ice, but this goes to show, even if you do win, you still could get the axe. People said tebow is not your prototypical type QB..They also said he wouldnt be a 1st round draft pick, or he wouldnt be a starting QB, or he wouldnt make the playoffs, but he did all that. Matt has alot more FBI then tebow, not doubt about that, but the only thing that matters is winning. Manning in a red and black uni for 3 or 4 years would of been great.

His first three playoffs:

1999 (0-1), 2000 (0-1), 2002 (0-1)

Super Bowl Year: 4-0

Every year since 2006:

2007 (0-1), 2008 (0-1), 2009 (2-1), 2010 (0-1)

Let's not act like the guy is some playoff god or something.

To the effing morons questioning Matt's job as the Falcons QB. Matt is 26 years old.

The game of football is the same game as it is in the regular season, yes the intensity is increased, the cosnequences of a win or loss are different, it's a one and done situation. That said, it's the same rules, same 4 downs, same 120 by 53 1/3 yard field. The idea that Matt Ryan has some kind of handicap when it comes to playoff games is absurd.

When you win 43 games, improve every year, and reach the 4000 yard 30 TD range at 26, you are an effing FOOL if you are a GM and consider trading or cutting that player, especially when the guy has a pristine character.

I understand that the lazy media perception is that the QB is the end all be all of how to gauge success, and yes there is corellation. No doubt having a Franchise QB gives you an exponentially better chance to win. But to act like it's the only reason teams win games is moronic.

Bad and mediocre QBs can win Super Bowls. Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer. **** Rex Grossman made it to one, and couldve won it (against Peyton Manning). Winning in the playoffs doesn't necessarily mean that your QB is great, nor does it means he sucks and has an inability to win.

As many of you don't want to accept Matt Ryan, the facts are there are very few, and I'm saying less than 10 QBs that have had as successful of a start as Matt Ryan. We all know the playoff success has not been there, but to act like it can't be is absurd. Matt Ryan's 1st 4 years compares favorably, or better to any QB in NFL history. And what he might be behind in stats, and you can count on one hand who had better stats, he makes up for in wins.

The simple fact that the most common topic of discussion on these boards is about the legitmacy of Matt Ryan, is an insult to reason and common sense. How a fanbase with such a horrific history of disappointment as this franchise can take for granted a QB as good as Matt Ryan is, with the potential to be great to elite, is beyond me.

There is no other single player, not Turner, Abraham, or Roddy White that have been more integral to the success of this team since September 2008, than Matt Ryan. Look at the Vikings, the Titans, and other teams with elite RBs. RBs don't mean wins. This is 6-10, 7-9 team at best without Matt Ryan. And if you think it's soooo easy to replace a franchise QB, you have no sense of perspective, either of history, or of the NFL landscape.

To the effing morons questioning Matt's job as the Falcons QB. Matt is 26 years old.

The game of football is the same game as it is in the regular season, yes the intensity is increased, the cosnequences of a win or loss are different, it's a one and done situation. That said, it's the same rules, same 4 downs, same 120 by 53 1/3 yard field. The idea that Matt Ryan has some kind of handicap when it comes to playoff games is absurd.

When you win 43 games, improve every year, and reach the 4000 yard 30 TD range at 26, you are an effing FOOL if you are a GM and consider trading or cutting that player, especially when the guy has a pristine character.

I understand that the lazy media perception is that the QB is the end all be all of how to gauge success, and yes there is corellation. No doubt having a Franchise QB gives you an exponentially better chance to win. But to act like it's the only reason teams win games is moronic.

Bad and mediocre QBs can win Super Bowls. Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer. **** Rex Grossman made it to one, and couldve won it (against Peyton Manning). Winning in the playoffs doesn't necessarily mean that your QB is great, nor does it means he sucks and has an inability to win.

As many of you don't want to accept Matt Ryan, the facts are there are very few, and I'm saying less than 10 QBs that have had as successful of a start as Matt Ryan. We all know the playoff success has not been there, but to act like it can't be is absurd. Matt Ryan's 1st 4 years compares favorably, or better to any QB in NFL history. And what he might be behind in stats, and you can count on one hand who had better stats, he makes up for in wins.

The simple fact that the most common topic of discussion on these boards is about the legitmacy of Matt Ryan, is an insult to reason and common sense. How a fanbase with such a horrific history of disappointment as this franchise can take for granted a QB as good as Matt Ryan is, with the potential to be great to elite, is beyond me.

There is no other single player, not Turner, Abraham, or Roddy White that have been more integral to the success of this team since September 2008, than Matt Ryan. Look at the Vikings, the Titans, and other teams with elite RBs. RBs don't mean wins. This is 6-10, 7-9 team at best without Matt Ryan. And if you think it's soooo easy to replace a franchise QB, you have no sense of perspective, either of history, or of the NFL landscape.

+1

AMEN. Best written and thought-out post I've seen on these boards in a long long time. I couldn't agree more with you.

Tebow didn't exactly "win" those games. Denver defense did. dont get me wrong he did just enough to get the wins, but a lesser defense and they didn't make the playoffs.

Actually, Tebow did throw the game winning td pass against the steelers in the playoffs,Denver's defense didn't even step on the field in overtime...... peace

Tebow 1 playoff win

Ryan No playoff wins

And outside of Eddie Royal,Who was all that special on that Bronco's offense?

Actually, Tebow did throw the game winning td pass against the steelers in the playoffs,Denver's defense didn't even step on the field in overtime...... peace

Tebow 1 playoff win

Ryan No playoff wins

Eddie Royal? What are you talking about? He hasn't been good on offense in years... he was purely a special teams player last season.

The core of Denver's offense was Willis McGahee, Eric Decker and Deymarius Thomas (who might be a Top 10 receiver next season with Manning throwing him the ball).

This is one of the best things I've ever seen on here

Tebow 1 playoff win

Ryan No playoff wins

The Broncos were 8-8. If Tebow took the Falcons to 8-8 we wouldn't even be in the playoffs. He benefited from a terrible division

Edited by Dharma Initiative

Totally agree....

The Broncos were 8-8. If Tebow took the Falcons to 8-8 we wouldn't even be in the playoffs. He benefited from a terrible division

Tebow will come into his own next season if they let him go. Maybe they'll keep him to learn more from Manning. If they release him he'll be a good catch for jax or miami.

Eddie Royal? What are you talking about? He hasn't been good on offense in years... he was purely a special teams player last season.

The core of Denver's offense was Willis McGahee, Eric Decker and Deymarius Thomas (who might be a Top 10 receiver next season with Manning throwing him the ball).

My fault, I was thinking of D.Thomas. regardeless, so the core of Tewbow's offense was 3 people, But Matt Ryan has, Tony G,Roddy White,Julio Jones,Jaquizz Rodgers,Michael Turner,HD83 and Can't even muster up 1 Td?

Paulitik, just go ahead and file this in a word doc so you can whip it out and pizz on the ryan haters whenever these morons lose touch with reality.

Oh look its an anti ryan post meant to stir up the boards... Oh, well just let me copy n' paste my common sense post which I saved in my documents... well done, succinct, factual and nothing less than a truth-sandwich...

Great post- kept hearing that Ryan had reached his ceiling in 2010, that turned out to be nonsense.

I've seen posters saying the same thing this year- it's just as much nonsense.

Eli Manning hasn't won a playoff game when his D has allowed 21+ points, that would make him 0-3 as a Falcon's QB in the Smith era. If Ryan's D had held his opponents to 20 or fewer points, Ryan would be 2-1.

"Paulitik" You have certainly selected an apt user name, as what you have written here is nothing more than a political speech. By correctly identifying the lowest common denominator on this message board, that being those readers needing reassurance over the future development of Matt Ryan, you've found the basic insecurity itch and scratched it for them. There is nothing more in football that they want to believe, than Matt Ryan has it in him to be elite.

As President Obama would address the debt crisis, Paulitik has convinced certain readers that playoff losses are just a bump in the road that will make us all stronger - feeding them what the want and need to hear. The conflicting evidence playing in their minds for the last 4 seasons, is having watched the likes of Peyton, Brady, Aaron or Brees and comparing their performance with that of Falcon QB Ryan. While the elite of NFL passers shred defenses with tight spirals and nifty pocket presence, our fans look with an envious eye, hoping that kind of play is just around the corner with Matt. Teasing that possible goal, was the rise to upper echelon by Eli Manning. Folks, other elite Qbs do not represent the promised land for Matt Ryan, but roadblocks to his future chances for success.

Facilitating the delusion is all the distraction in the form of blame being heaped on the Offensive Coordinator, the offensive line, the dropped passes from receivers, send Matt to the weight room etc. Fans want to believe there is a magic pill that Thomas Dimitroff can feed Matt Ryan and transform him into a player we've all seen very little evidence to suggest actually exists. Further fueling the hope is the crutch that QB's like Flacco and Tebow started their careers with the silver QB spoon in their mouth, while poor Matt began by playing for the Mean Machine, delaying his rise to stardom. When Matt Stafford's turning around of the Detroit Lions from winless to playoffs, in the same time frame, is solely attributed to Calvin Johnson, that delusion becomes more ingrained.

Paulitik, you defend Matt Ryan so vociferously as a self-admitted fan of the team, not the player. You say others are haters, but you admitted yesterday, when that logo comes off his jersey, so does your support of Matt Ryan. What's your feeling on Curtis Lofton? He was a strong MLB/defensive leader for this team, yet he wanted to be paid like an elite MLB, which he isn't. Can you open your eyes and see the parallels with Matt Ryan? He's being paid like an elite QB, but not performing like one. Don't look at the jersey, look at the man.

I want Matt Ryan to thrive here in Atlanta. That is my first choice for the Falcons future and I'd love for him to surprise me and acheive that goal. What concerns me is that little evidence, beyond rabid fan devotion, suggests that will actually happen. Two possible courses of action exist. The current choice is stay the course and hope for the best, while not preparing for the worst. I think that is a head-in-the-sand thought, motivated by the understandable desire of a GM and coaching staff trying to protect their own jobs. The alternative, change course while your most signifiant asset still has value, is riskier, but IMO, more likely to lead to the promised land of long term success.

when maddie does more than melt against good teams we can talk about something. Until then hes padded his stats being surrounded by elite pro bowl talent and never playing with a defense that wasnt in the top half of the league. How soon people forget how inconsistent ryan was last season even die hard ryan slurpers have changed their tune. The only ones left are those desperate for ryan to be better than the other guy. When maddie plays acc caliber talent of course he looks good lol. Anyone would. This season will prove to be the final nail in the coffin.

I would rather keep Curtis Lofton, but you can't compare the contribution of a franchise QB, to a MLB in the modern NFL. I've never said one time that Matt doesn't deserve heat for his playoff issues. Just not the level of heat that fans like you give him. Maybe in your opinion Lofton is to LBs, what Matt is to QBs, but the comparison is apples to oranges. QBs value to teams are on a different level to any other position with few exceptions. Ray Lewis maybe the only MLB in the league in the modern era who's value rivals a franchise QBs. It's another poor analogy you are making to rationalize your warped point of view.

Every statistical evaluation of Matt Ryan completely proves you dead wrong about Matt "plateauing". Your judgement of Matt Ryan is skewed. I don't know what has skewed it. It might be his looks, it might be that he doesn't have John Elway's arm. It might be that the goofy white kid came in and took Mike Vick's job. I don't know what it is. I don't care. You have decided that Matt Ryan is a failure and therefore the jury is out, and it's useless to even debate it. Time for Matt to pack his bags. Your irrational view of Matt Ryan, has destroyed any credibility you had. Ask any GM, any Football expert and 95-99% will find your argument one of no merit. Most will find it beyond asinine.

I am witnessing a good poster devolve into another Swifthitter. A guy that doesn't like the way it looks when Matt throws, or how Matt talks, orpresents himself, his style, the way his wife looks and therefore he's a lost cause.

You bring up Drew Brees. Matt Ryan's first 4 years are superior to Drew Brees'. Matt's first 4 years compares favorably, or better than every HOF or HOF caliber QB in NFL history, and you want to get rid of him.

This isn't political, it's common sense. It's looking at Matt Ryan from a historical perspective instead of judging him by his last game. Yes, I have a political bent, and background,. That's how I earned my nickname. But politics are irelevant in this debate. The Falcons have never had a QB this consistent, this good. 4 years is what it takes for most NFL QBs to solifdify their spot, Matt has been an excellent, starting NFL QB from his first snap.

Every statistical evaluation of Matt Ryan completely proves you dead wrong about Matt "plateauing". Your judgement of Matt Ryan is skewed. I don't know what has skewed it. It might be his looks, it might be that he doesn't have John Elway's arm. It might be that the goofy white kid came in and took Mike Vick's job. I don't know what it is. I don't care. You have decided that Matt Ryan is a failure and therefore the jury is out, and it's useless to even debate it. Time for Matt to pack his bags. Your irrational view of Matt Ryan, has destroyed any credibility you had. Ask any GM, any Football expert and 95-99% will find your argument one of no merit. Most will find it beyond asinine.

I am witnessing a good poster devolve into another Swifthitter. A guy that doesn't like the way it looks when Matt throws, or how Matt talks, orpresents himself, his style, the way his wife looks and therefore he's a lost cause.

You bring up Drew Brees. Matt Ryan's first 4 years are superior to Drew Brees'. Matt's first 4 years compares favorably, or better than every HOF or HOF caliber QB in NFL history, and you want to get rid of him.

Matt has been an excellent, starting NFL QB from his first snap.

Again you attribute things to me I haven't said. Why do you have to look at everything in terms of absolutes? You seemed smarter than that. Why are you so threatened by a poster like Swift? If you truly thought he was a poison, you'd just dismiss and ignore him. By trying to link me to him, one or both of us must have raised some doubts in your mind. Instead of addressing those doubts objectively, you lash out with anger and accusation. It's an age old reaction, but please recognize it for what it is. You have a perception of yourself and your place on this MB. When you feel that is coming under attack, you respond with vitriol instead of analysis and reason. Hope you get past that, cause you know your football and I'd like to discuss things in more depth, sans the angry child subterfuge.

I don't hold a candle for Vick, I wanted him out before he crashed and burned. Pointed that out to you yesterday, but I guess it doesn't suit your agenda today to acknowledge that. I also think Matt Ryan totally looks the part of a NFL QB to any observer, but I want the steak, not the sizzle. He's been a good starting QB from day 1, but not great or excellent. I don't ever hope to convince you otherwise, just have my say like other members of the MB and not be labeled "a hater" by those who have closed their minds.