Mock 3/19 Would You Be Ok With Our Draft If It Fell Like This?

per Campbell from Walterfootball.com......http://walterfootbal...2012charlie.php

Round 2

55. Atlanta Falcons: Philip Blake, C/G, Baylor

One of the Falcons' biggest needs is at center as Todd McClure, 35, is at the end of the line. If Atlanta doesn't land a veteran center, it would do well to land the second-rated center in the draft here in the second round.

Throughout 2011, Blake was an excellent pass protector for Robert Griffin III, while still opening up holes in the run game for running back Terrance Ganaway. The 6-foot-2, 312-pound Blake is a good athlete for his size. He has the strength to push tackles aside and surprising quickness to hit blocks on linebackers.

Blake started at center the past two years, having begun his collegiate career at tackle. To end the 2011 season, he had a lot of success going against Washington defensive tackle Alameda Ta'amu. Baylor was able to have a massive game on the ground to the tune of 482 yards. At the Senior Bowl, Blake showed the ability to play some guard as well, and he had a nice showing at the Combine.

Round 3

85. Atlanta Falcons: Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse

The Falcons need help at defensive end. John Abraham was re-signed, but Atlanta needs a young end who is capable of pressuring the quarterback.

At first glance, Jones' 2011 production is not very impressive. As a redshirt junior, he accumulated only 38 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 7.5 tackles for a loss, two forced fumbles and one interception. However, when you consider that Jones accumulated that in only seven games, it looks much better. He missed five games with a leg injury in the first half of the season, but came back strong with four sacks in three games after returning to the lineup.

Jones (6-5, 265) has a nice combination of size and speed. He is physical with offensive linemen and understands leverage concepts. Jones does a good job of getting underneath the pads of linemen to get pressure on bull rushes. He has good pursuit skills and a quality motor. Typically, Jones tries to beat tackles with either his speed around the corner, or his strength on a bull rush. In the NFL, he is going to need to add some rip, spin and other pass-rushing moves.

Jones had four sacks as a sophomore, so he never had a season of big-time production at the college level. Like many underclassmen, Jones is a raw athlete who needs to be developed. In college, he could live off his athletic ability, but in the NFL, he will need to expand his game. Jones did not have a good performance at the Combine.

Round 5

118. Atlanta Falcons: Robert Turbin, RB, Utah State

Michael Turner is coming towards the end of the line and made Walt's Top 10 Most Overrated NFL Players. The Falcons are going to have to think of replacing him.

Turbin (5-10, 222) is a sleeper prospect who has some speed and is extremely strong. He showed that off with good speed and strength at the Combine. In 2011, Turbin averaged 6.1 yards per carry with 1,517 yards rushing and 19 touchdowns. He caught 17 passes for 171 yards and four scores as well.

In 2009, Turbin broke out with 1,296 yards and 13 touchdowns. He missed the 2010 season because of an injury. Turbin is put together well and is a tough runner.

I would more than likely change the #55 pick but I would be satisfied with the rest of the draft if it fell that way.

Edited by ~GotJsOnDeck~

i wouldn't like this at all. we don't need a center (Hawley), or a running back (well we need one but it isn't a glaring weakness) this season. i doubt we take a DE since we have resigned Abraham. Turbin won't fall that low after the combine he had.

Edited by HEI5T

i wouldn't like this at all. we don't need a center (Hawley), or a running back (well we need one but it isn't a glaring weakness) this season. i doubt we take a DE since we have resigned Abraham. Turbin won't fall that low after the combine he had.

than who do you suggest you take? if a need is not available, than you cant reach and much take best available.

I'd say we could use another young DE, not sure what Matthews will do especially being a 7th rounder. Turbin will fall but I agree not to our 5th.

It definitely looks like a BPA draft tho.

Blake or Jones will be around in the 3rd. I seriously doubt we draft TE charles. Our 2nd, must be an impact player.

Edited by ~GotJsOnDeck~

Blake can be found for us in the 3rd-5th. We need our 2nd rd pick to be either a CB, TE or DE I think (Hosley, Charles or Curry). IF Turbin falls to 5, we will take him. Unfortunately, there is no way that's happening.

I don't think any of those will be the #55 pick. TE most likely, but we have our 5 DEs in Abe, Edwards, Biermann, Sidbury and developing Matthews. Unless they carry 6 DEs, we won't be getting one. Franks is going to be the nickel so I don't see us spending a second on a dime when you have Owens and Walls. TE is a secondary need and can be filled in the third. We need a player at #55, not somebody who is going to be watching.

DT

I don't think any of those will be the #55 pick. TE most likely, but we have our 5 DEs in Abe, Edwards, Biermann, Sidbury and developing Matthews. Unless they carry 6 DEs, we won't be getting one. Franks is going to be the nickel so I don't see us spending a second on a dime when you have Owens and Walls. TE is a secondary need and can be filled in the third. We need a player at #55, not somebody who is going to be watching.

DT

Jayron Hosley would start over Franks, Walls and Owens from day 1 of camp. He is leaps and bounds more athletic than those guys; he is a taller, longer version of Brent Grimes. Who would you figure would be left at DT that would out-perform Peters, Babs, Jerry or Walker to get any playing time? I would say Devon Still, but I figure he will be long gone by 55.

Jayron Hosley would start over Franks, Walls and Owens from day 1 of camp. He is leaps and bounds more athletic than those guys; he is a taller, longer version of Brent Grimes. Who would you figure would be left at DT that would out-perform Peters, Babs, Jerry or Walker to get any playing time? I would say Devon Still, but I figure he will be long gone by 55.

I liked Hosley, but I think he will fall to the third because of size concerns. Plus, they like Franks and developed him for 2 years now.

The DT at #55 doesn't need to outperform Bab or Peters, just Jerry and Walker. Worthy, Thompson, and Ta'amu should all be there.

I don't see any needs on offense that warrant the #55 pick if we sign McNeil. On defense, we have our safeties, LBs, and DEs. You can argue we have our corners. That only leaves DT as the most pressing need. After that, you can just add the BPA at positions.

Was he not playing center last year while Mcclure was out when our OL was getting absolutely mauled?

He was stuck next to Reynolds, who made Clabo look bad as well. Hawley was a solid center. I was explaining to g dawg, the OLine was getting killed because of how bad Baker and Reynolds were when on the line together. With just Baker, they could compensate by having Blalock help and shade that way. But once Reynolds came in, Hawley had to shade to Reynolds' side, creating a stress point between Hawley and Blalock. That's why Blalock looked bad to begin with. Then they compensated by having Hawley play straight up and let Clabo compensate with Reynolds. This is when Clabo looked bad.

Look at the sack Cullen Jenkins got on Ryan in the Eagles game as an example. Blalock slid to help Baker. He passed his man to Hawley, who stoned him 1v1. Reynolds was left by himself and was absolutely manhandled by Jenkins as a result and killed Ryan.

He was stuck next to Reynolds, who made Clabo look bad as well. Hawley was a solid center. I was explaining to g dawg, the OLine was getting killed because of how bad Baker and Reynolds were when on the line together. With just Baker, they could compensate by having Blalock help and shade that way. But once Reynolds came in, Hawley had to shade to Reynolds' side, creating a stress point between Hawley and Blalock. That's why Blalock looked bad to begin with. Then they compensated by having Hawley play straight up and let Clabo compensate with Reynolds. This is when Clabo looked bad.

Look at the sack Cullen Jenkins got on Ryan in the Eagles game as an example. Blalock slid to help Baker. He passed his man to Hawley, who stoned him 1v1. Reynolds was left by himself and was absolutely manhandled by Jenkins as a result and killed Ryan.

Post the video! I would like to see it man.

But you can actively discuss the Falcons on an internet message board wink.png

Im gonna find the video. I hope Hawley is what you think he is. If not, getting McNeill is even more important..

Yea, videos don't load but I can get on here. Your YouTube video in your sig is just a black box.

But I think getting McNeil helps the interior as it allows Blalock to focus on just DTs, not helping the LT. That gives you two true bookend OTs and 3 interior OLineman to focus on 2 DTs. 900lbs vs 600lbs wins almost every time.