I Know Ovie Is Costing Us But......

sandtrap

Some of ya'll are straight Sam Bakin (acting like a **** talentless fool) with the talk of cutting Ovie. Michael Turner is not the same without Ovie Mughelli leading him to the holes. He has been one of the most consistent players on offense. I'm not sure what the status of his injury is, but for one am NOT confident going into the season with Snelling or Cox as our FB. If we have a major adjustment in our offensive playbook where we're going to be throwing out of 4 receiver sets for the majority of the game then ok, but if you watch what Koetter did in Jacksonville, many of MJD's breakout runs are off of #33's blocking, Greg Jones. I expect Koetter to run a similar style here with Turner.

Some of ya'll are straight Sam Bakin (acting like a **** talentless fool) with the talk of cutting Ovie. Michael Turner is not the same without Ovie Mughelli leading him to the holes. He has been one of the most consistent players on offense. I'm not sure what the status of his injury is, but for one am NOT confident going into the season with Snelling or Cox as our FB. If we have a major adjustment in our offensive playbook where we're going to be throwing out of 4 receiver sets for the majority of the game then ok, but if you watch what Koetter did in Jacksonville, many of MJD's breakout runs are off of #33's blocking, Greg Jones. I expect Koetter to run a similar style here with Turner.

Cox may not be the answer, but there are other bodies out there for less than $3 million

I don't think anybody would argue about how integral Mughelli was for our running game. Most of the people that think we should cut Ovie (me included) want to see us run more single back 3 and 4 wide sets.

$3m is a lot to spend on a FB when you consider how rarely they are utilized in an offense as teams move more and more towards 2 TE and 3 WR sets.

I don't think anybody would argue about how integral Mughelli was for our running game. Most of the people that think we should cut Ovie (me included) want to see us run more single back 3 and 4 wide sets.

$3m is a lot to spend on a FB when you consider how rarely they are utilized in an offense as teams move more and more towards 2 TE and 3 WR sets.

I think that is part of the problem. We dont "MAN" up enough and be physical because we are trying to feature the passing game. We were at our best and won 11 and then 13 games when M. Turner and Ovie were healthy and Turner was pounding the ball. What we lack is a speed guy to close games out like Norwood did in the end. Turner would pound all game and then Norwood would break it open( think Rams 08').

I would like to see J. Rodgers show some of that explosiveness that he had in college. The reality is, he isnt a game breaker and has 4.5 speed. We should look for a change up guy because despite J. Rodgers size he is more tough and elusive than he is agile and speedy.

Falcons had a FB about 10% of the offensive plays last year, Ovie's cap hit just isn't worth that. Now, cutting him and signing him for the vet minimum makes a lot of sense.

Above that consideration though, is the idea that for the Falcons to win, Ryan has to take control of the offense, Falcons have to pass more. For the falcons to be successful next year, FB has to play a lesser role.

Falcons had a FB about 10% of the offensive plays last year, Ovie's cap hit just isn't worth that. Now, cutting him and signing him for the vet minimum makes a lot of sense.

Above that consideration though, is the idea that for the Falcons to win, Ryan has to take control of the offense, Falcons have to pass more. For the falcons to be successful next year, FB has to play a lesser role.

I think WHEN we are passing is more important than passing more. Passing in the 4th quarter means we are down and trying to come back. I would rather Ryan have great 1st Halfs passing and lesser 2nd halfs.

This year we did a poor job of being balanced and often we werent able to close out games in the 4th with the run. Ovie helps that but it more so falls on play calling and the play of our OL. Getting stopped 3 times on 4th down against the Saints was despicable to me! We need to be able to pound the ball and frankly I would like Ryan more around 3,600 and 3,900 yds and not so much in the 4,000 plus because a lot of those yards were in garbage time.

I think WHEN we are passing is more important than passing more. Passing in the 4th quarter means we are down and trying to come back. I would rather Ryan have great 1st Halfs passing and lesser 2nd halfs.

This year we did a poor job of being balanced and often we werent able to close out games in the 4th with the run. Ovie helps that but it more so falls on play calling and the play of our OL. Getting stopped 3 times on 4th down against the Saints was despicable to me! We need to be able to pound the ball and frankly I would like Ryan more around 3,600 and 3,900 yds and not so much in the 4,000 plus because a lot of those yards were in garbage time.

Ryan had his career high in a blowout against the Saints in which we lost by 30. Thats not what Falcons want to see, we want to be able to run the football and stay balanced.

Ryan had his career high in a blowout against the Saints in which we lost by 30. Thats not what Falcons want to see, we want to be able to run the football and stay balanced.

And if Ovie was in there, what, we lose by 20? Sorry, but you have to have a more effective passing game to win in today's NFL.

If Turner needs Ovie to be effective the. We should cut them both. I don't think Turner needs Ovie. Mike Cox will be just as effective blockin as Ovie after a year in the system.

Don't get me wrong, I like Ovie and I Think he was a good player, but coming off a major knee injury @ 3 mil a year is not worth. Mike Cox can do the job.

He's also coming off of a major knee injury. The cap hit isn't anywhere near worth it.

this is being undersold. RBs and WRs are never the same after blowing out MCL/ACL - it takes 2 years to recuperate. Being a physical run blocker who gets a lot of torque on the knee - Mughelli is just not likely to be 100% in 2012 - to compound that by keeping him and paying him at a high scale - its just beyond a bad move.

Man, while you're talking many want to cut Ovie and Turner...blink.png

That's not water I'm too interested in treading.

No, keep Turner this year......but next year at age 31 and with a high cap charge and last year of contract, I will cross the aisle next year and say "cut Turner" - but I believe we can get one more productive year out of him.

And if Ovie was in there, what, we lose by 20? Sorry, but you have to have a more effective passing game to win in today's NFL.

We have to be more committed to running the football. Ryan isnt Rodgers or Brees or Brady and we cant totally rely on him for offense. We need to have our running game healthy and consistent and we have to stick with it more often.

Running the football takes time off the clock and keeps defenses off balance, when we are forced to pass predominantly we are not a very good team.

We have to be more committed to running the football. Ryan isnt Rodgers or Brees or Brady and we cant totally rely on him for offense. We need to have our running game healthy and consistent and we have to stick with it more often.

Running the football takes time off the clock and keeps defenses off balance, when we are forced to pass predominantly we are not a very good team.

And that has to change-Falcons have to be able to pass better- that means lots of 3 & 4 WR sets and having a FB on the field even less than last year. Running game will come out of those same sets

Ovie is the best fullback in the NFL but most of these guys act like he's replaceable. These guys don't know football. I don't see how you want to cut our best player v. his position.

Ovie coming off a knee surgery IS replaceable, if he was healthy, you could make an argument that he was worth it, that Koetter would get him more involved in the passing game.

But he's coming off major knee surgery, he's 31 and his position will be less and less important in the NFL.

Falcons need to have an effective running game from passing formations, not an effective passing game from running formations.

If it wasn't a choice between keeping Mughelli and adding a guy like McNeil or Bell, then you'd be absolutely right. But we're tight against the cap.

i don't even think that is the choice. If Falcons want to keep Mughelli, they would still need to cut him and bring him back at lower number.

I say, Cut Mughelli now. Cut Baker simultaneously while signing McNeill. You can always bring back Mughelli later perhaps - he could sign elsewhere but he is damaged goods right now and probably won't be ready by start of season anyway.

I heard Mughelli on a local radio show a few weeks ago. He said he is ahead of schedule and will be ready for camp.

Koetter and Smitty already said we're gonna run the ball. Dirk is known for running even more than Mularkey.

And all these three and four wide Madden sets? Don't count on it. Get ready for ground, pound and screen ad nauseum.

Falconidae only three teams threw more than us last year.

I heard Mughelli on a local radio show a few weeks ago. He said he is ahead of schedule and will be ready for camp.

Koetter and Smitty already said we're gonna run the ball. Dirk is known for running even more than Mularkey.

And all these three and four wide Madden sets? Don't count on it. Get ready for ground, pound and screen ad nauseum.

Falconidae only three teams threw more than us last year.

Koetter hasn't had a QB like Ryan to work with-think you'll see more passing than you think.

And don't see the Falcons going back to ground and pound- even less reason to bring Ovie back.

Again, if he was healthy, this is a different discussion.

Falcons have to be able run from passing formations.