'young' Tom Cannot Be 'two-Faced' When Dealing With Grimes...

Mr. Right

In the same manner 'Young' Tom shunned Mario Williams, citing 'too risky, too expensive,too many eggs in one basket, injury prone' and any other excuse used to not sign a top notch DE, Tom should treat Grimes. After all, Williams and Grimes are pretty much the same type of player, i.e. a top player coming off an injury laden season.

While ideally the Falcons would have let Grimes go and went for Williams as stopping the pass comes from generating pressure and not from coverage, that mistake has already been committed. Therefore, we need to look at the next step, which is whether or not to extend Grimes a large contract? Unfortunately, a large Grimes contract creates the same type of risk as a large Williams contract. Furthermore, why should the Falcons extend a contract to a player who deliberately sat out during the playoffs, putting 'I' before team?

Yes, from Grimes' standpoint, this may have been the best decision as he is able to ensure his future welfare. But if he's willing to sit out during the playoffs, then what's to prevent him from not playing his best once he receives his big pay day? Why should he risk further injury and a healthy retirement?

Grimes will turn 29 when the season starts. He wants his money and any contract extension will likely be his last contract. It seems like the risks that prevented us from signing Williams exists also with Grimes, i.e. 'too risky, too many eggs in one basket, coming of an injury, and motivation.'

'Young' Tom needs to maintain his credibility by treating Grimes the way he treated Williams. Grimes needs to remain franchise tagged and not receive a contract extension.

Edited by Mr. Right

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The risks didn't prevent us from signing Mario. Buffalo dumping too much money on him was what prevented us from signing Mario.

If we were afraid to dump too much money on Williams, should we not also be afraid to dump to much money on Grimes? The same logic exists.

Edited by Mr. Right

Grimes at worst can be 10+ mill richer. I hardly think we short changed him.

Hopefully the work out a deal though. But Grimes is getting paid none the less a ton of cash.

It needs to work for both sides though. If we where the BUcs or Jags and had a ton of free space, year maybe they could open the pockets a little more. But we don't have that free cash and have to spend wisely.

If we were afraid to dump too much money on Williams, should we not also be afraid to dump to much money on Grimes? The same logic exists.

Your argument is based on Williams even bothering to discuss with any other team. He only met with the Bills and they didn't give him the chance to meet with anyone else because they dumped a mountain of money on him that he couldn't turn down.

All that time you spent thinking that out and posting it will be for naught if the team puts him on the trade block before the draft . Not saying they will , but they did slap a first round tender on him and they do have the option of doing that if they can't lock him up long - term or he still stubbornly refuses to sign the tender .

It wasnt risk... It was the Bills paying Mario Williams 20 mil each of his 1st 2 years... It was just to expensive.... I dont think this and Grimes has nothing to do with each other.

I would be cool with letting Grimes play the year out under the 10.2 franchise tag...With FA under way and not to many other moves out their to make... We dont need the cap space (atleast dont have to have it from Grimes money) ... Let him play the year out.. See does he fit in Nolan scheme or should you go after another CB

But regardless.. Mario Williams and Grimes has nothing to do with each other...

anyone who uses the name "young Tom" is a complete idiot and should be Rightly ignored

Agreed

In the same manner 'Young' Tom shunned Mario Williams, citing 'too risky, too expensive,too many eggs in one basket, injury prone' and any other excuse used to not sign a top notch DE, Tom should treat Grimes. After all, Williams and Grimes are pretty much the same type of player, i.e. a top player coming off an injury laden season.

While ideally the Falcons would have let Grimes go and went for Williams as stopping the pass comes from generating pressure and not from coverage, that mistake has already been committed. Therefore, we need to look at the next step, which is whether or not to extend Grimes a large contract? Unfortunately, a large Grimes contract creates the same type of risk as a large Williams contract. Furthermore, why should the Falcons extend a contract to a player who deliberately sat out during the playoffs, putting 'I' before team?

Yes, from Grimes' standpoint, this may have been the best decision as he is able to ensure his future welfare. But if he's willing to sit out during the playoffs, then what's to prevent him from not playing his best once he receives his big pay day? Why should he risk further injury and a healthy retirement?

Grimes will turn 29 when the season starts. He wants his money and any contract extension will likely be his last contract. It seems like the risks that prevented us from signing Williams exists also with Grimes, i.e. 'too risky, too many eggs in one basket, coming of an injury, and motivation.'

'Young' Tom needs to maintain his credibility by treating Grimes the way he treated Williams. Grimes needs to remain franchise tagged and not receive a contract extension.

I swear, you try to sound stupid.

Grimes is not getting more than 7 mil a year. I would slap TD if he dropped Grimes and gave Mario 16mil a year...

I doubt Grimes would sign for less than 7 a year.

All that time you spent thinking that out and posting it will be for naught if the team puts him on the trade block before the draft . Not saying they will , but they did slap a first round tender on him and they do have the option of doing that if they can't lock him up long - term or he still stubbornly refuses to sign the tender .

Putting him on the trading block isn't a bad idea. What I'm worried about is giving him some sort of multi-year deal with a large amount of guaranteed money. If we do that, why didn't we sign Mario Williams, or Julius Peppers, or Charles Johnson, or any other big name FA?

Putting him on the trading block isn't a bad idea. What I'm worried about is giving him some sort of multi-year deal with a large amount of guaranteed money. If we do that, why didn't we sign Mario Williams, or Julius Peppers, or Charles Johnson, or any other big name FA?

maybe because they didn't want to sign with us? is that simple enough to understand?

...that mistake has already been committed.

Would agree with you to the extent that we would also have to agree that the INITIAL "MISTAKE THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN COMMITTED" was the very hiring of Young Tom in the first place. And that it, necessarily, follows from that that he should be summarily fired, if not brought up on charges altogether.

Again, agreed. However, I would be remise if I did not bring attention to the fact that Young Tom has already invalidated the "afraid to dump too much" premise with his amateurish, class-c, novice skills when he flushed 5 draft picks on Julio Jones.

#What can has Brown Done For You...

#N** S***

Edited by WeNeedaQB

I doubt Grimes would sign for less than 7 a year.

Because with Williams and Johnson , both were signed before the team had a chance to bring them in . Johnson was re-signed with Carolina before FA even got started . Williams went to Buffalo and never left .

I'm not big on trading Grimes , I'm just acknowledging the possibility of it happening .

#1 if Grime had of hit the market he was getting paid if we give it to him or not.

This guy was the #2 best cover corner in the league only behind D. Revis and he missed 4 games.

#2 He will get probably that 10.281 as has base salary no way he signs for less then Cortland or Brandon Carr made

when he graded out as the top cover corner according to PFF on the FA market. Cortland got a 50mil deal 5 years and Brandon Carr got a 50.2mil deal

so you do the math.

#3 besides Abe he is the best thing that this team has going so TD must show him the money but if they do it may not happen until after the draft but they have until July 15 or 16th to work a long term deal out.

#4 get over the Mario thing that part is over now.

Edited by tobyd77

Would agree with you to the extent that we would also have to agree that the INITIAL "MISTAKE THAT HAS ALREADY BEEN COMMITTED" was the very hiring of Young Tom in the first place. And that it, necessarily, follows from that that he should be summarily fired, if not brought up on charges altogether.

Again, agreed. However, I would be remise if I did not bring attention to the fact that Young Tom has already invalidated the "afraid to dump too much" premise with his amateurish, class-c, novice skills when he flushed 5 draft picks on Julio Jones.

#What can has Brown Done For You...

#N** S***

You really are lonely aren't you? That you have to use multiple screen names to talk to yourself?

'young' Tom Cannot Be 'two-Faced' When Dealing With Grimes...

and you sir lad cannot be "two-Faced" when your username is Mr. Right but your posts are always clearly Wrong.

Ok. Just hear me out.

If this "clever" little retort was neither funny nor effective the first, Idk seventeen times, it probably is neither funny nor effective now.

Get well soon.

I thought it was quite hiliarious myself but then WeNeedaQB I will try to get well when you try to keep the same username for longer than 3 months or try to stop pretending to be three posters at once.

Deal?

Ok. Fine.

I will make you a deal... I would be willing to change my username.

If you adhere to my signature... I will, in fact, change my username... To...

"Problem Solved"

Trust and Believe... I am the greatest of all time!