They Are Who We Thought They Were?

The O.D.B

Currently as fans we have allot of concerns and a laundry list of players who show talent but never seem to play to their potential. These concerns have us all over the place with a litany of opinions on how to fix things. I'm sure our new coaching staff feels much of the same confusion in figuring out what happened and how to fix it.

In the history of the NFL we've seen time and time again when the right coaches are employed any team can rise from mediocrity or even the gutter and become a true contender.

So, with this in mind my task to you is to try and predict the future by giving your opinion on what we will find when the new season starts.

A:

Will we find that our old coaches were pretty good and did the best they could with the limited talent avaialble?

or

B:

Will we find out that our new coaches, for the 1st time in their careers, are so flushed with talent that they find it hard to fathom what the heck their predecessors where doing?

I personally think we'll see a strong lean toward 'B' with maybe 1 or 2 players being the exception to the rule.

Guest Gritz

I'm praying for B, but I suspect there might be a little more A involved than I would like to admit.

Gun to my head? More B than A.....but it's probably like most things in life....some of each.

Offense: I'd say B. MM leaned too much on Turner, Roddy, and Tony G. Took a minute to get Julio involved, all he knew was 9 routes for the first 3-4 games of the season. No HD, Weems, Meier, Quizz or Snelling.

Defense: I'd say a little of both. Nolan won't have the handcuffs BVG had but Nolan is just a better NFL coach than BVG as well.

A:

Will we find that our old coaches were pretty good and did the best they could with the limited talent available?

or

B:

Will we find out that our new coaches, for the 1st time in their careers, are so flushed with talent that they find it hard to fathom what the heck their predecessors where doing?

We'd all be praising the coordinators if the players had executed each scheme to perfection. We obviously aren't praising the coordinators.

We'd be praising the coordinators if the schemes adapted enough to adequately cover a weakness in talent. We aren't praising them for that, either.

The answer obviously isn't A, but is it really B? B can only be true if our new coaches are truly better than their predecessors.

Defensively, the answer is B. Nolan is a huge upgrade over BVG.

The jury, for me, is still out on the offense.

I say a little of A and B for both offence and defence.While we brought in new coordinators,they will have brought in a new playbook as well I assume.The coordinators can't play the game for us all they can do is come up with the plays for our guys to preform.

I think we'll also see that were missing a piece here and there and we'll fix it next year and be better.

I think it's a definite "B." When you make the sweeping coaching changes on both offense and defense the Falcons did this off-season, you bring a new dynamic into the equation. There's a sense that past disappointments are wiped off the slate, then there's a sense of exhiliration because everybody is getting to make a fresh start ~ players know they're going to be given new strategies and completely different philosophies to help take them to a higher level. I hope and believe the coaching changes will bring a completely different mindset to this team, marked by a dramatic new aggressive attitude, more daring and less predictability. We'll see.

Currently as fans we have allot of concerns and a laundry list of players who show talent but never seem to play to their potential. These concerns have us all over the place with a litany of opinions on how to fix things. I'm sure our new coaching staff feels much of the same confusion in figuring out what happened and how to fix it.

In the history of the NFL we've seen time and time again when the right coaches are employed any team can rise from mediocrity or even the gutter and become a true contender.

So, with this in mind my task to you is to try and predict the future by giving your opinion on what we will find when the new season starts.

A:

Will we find that our old coaches were pretty good and did the best they could with the limited talent avaialble?

or

B:

I personally think we'll see a strong lean toward 'B' with maybe 1 or 2 players being the exception to the rule.

Like all things in life there are no absolutes. I think the answer here lies somewhere between A & B.

I think after the season is over, you'll have some fans on the A side and other fans on the B side. I don't think our coordinators were ever as bad as fans thought, nor were they as good as other fans thought. We have to be honest about it and overall, we were above average on offense and defense. I don't expect us to dominate on either side of the ball this season. There are just too many good offenses and good defenses out there for us to be ranked 1st overall on either.

From my own perspective, I do think our new coordinators will be better than our old one's. I think Mike Nolan will get our defense off of the field on third downs. The scoring defensive rankings might be similar when it's all said and done because our scoring defense has actually been ranked pretty well over the years. But we will not see nearly as many 3rd and long conversions, so we will see some shorter fields for our offense.

From the offensive perspective, I think we will score more points but our TOP will go down a bit. I think we'll be more explosive, which translates to quicker drives and lower TOP. I also think we might see more TO's by our offense, because we'll be more aggressive. That is why I think our defense might see similar numbers as far as scoring, because they might be on the field more, but I don't see us having the same problems as past years where teams converted 3rd downs at a ridiculously high rate.

I think after the season is over, you'll have some fans on the A side and other fans on the B side. I don't think our coordinators were ever as bad as fans thought, nor were they as good as other fans thought.

From my own perspective, I do think our new coordinators will be better than our old one's. I think Mike Nolan will get our defense off of the field on third downs. The scoring defensive rankings might be similar when it's all said and done because our scoring defense has actually been ranked pretty well over the years. But we will not see nearly as many 3rd and long conversions, so we will see some shorter fields for our offense. I also think we might see more TO's by our offense, because we'll be more aggressive. That is why I think our defense might see similar numbers as far as scoring, because they might be on the field more,

but I don't see us having the same problems as past years where teams converted 3rd downs at a ridiculously high rate.

And we didn't convert 3rd downs.

And we didn't convert 3rd downs.

I think we converted 3rd downs fine - we just couldn't stop them from being converted.

Our passing on 3rd down conversions to 1st downs was ranked 5th in the league at 42.2% - Ahead of New England at #6.

Our rushing on 3rd down conversions to 1st downs was ranked 5th in the league at 56.3% - Behind New England at #4.

Our overall 3rd down conversion percent was ranked 6th in the league at 44.2% - Behind New England at #5.

On defense, however, we ranked 29th in 1st downs made from 3rd downs with 44.1% - Behind New England at #29. (lol)

I think we converted 3rd downs fine - we just couldn't stop them from being converted.

Our passing on 3rd down conversions to 1st downs was ranked 5th in the league at 42.2% - Ahead of New England at #6.

Our rushing on 3rd down conversions to 1st downs was ranked 5th in the league at 56.3% - Behind New England at #4.

Our overall 3rd down conversion percent was ranked 6th in the league at 44.2% - Behind New England at #5.

On defense, however, we ranked 29th in 1st downs made from 3rd downs with 44.1% - Behind New England at #29. (lol)

TD has always talked about the Patriot model...

Tandy, do you know where to find stats for just 3rd and 1? It seems like the Falcons struggled mightily with that most of the year.

Offense: I'd say B. MM leaned too much on Turner, Roddy, and Tony G. Took a minute to get Julio involved, all he knew was 9 routes for the first 3-4 games of the season. No HD, Weems, Meier, Quizz or Snelling.

Defense: I'd say a little of both. Nolan won't have the handcuffs BVG had but Nolan is just a better NFL coach than BVG as well.

I agree. And I think a lot of the offseason "inactivity" (we were actually active signing our own guys) had to do with the previous coaching and their seemingly inability to utilize players to their strengths; and in MM's case his seemingly favortism towards only a few players. With MM and BVG to a point, it was as though certain vets (roddy, TG, Turner & Abe) were in his ear--"get me the ball." Matt Ryan in his senior season at BC completed like 20 passes or more to ten players (not sure exact stat but it was up there). That shows he's a spread the ball, get the open guy type of QB. In other words, his coaches let him see the field and play matchups. I see our offense going that way. Screw Roddy's Stats--go for the open guy. Maybe we see 5 wr sets to really spread the field. Same with defense. If you watch Nolan's defenses he sends multiple guys on blitz. Not just Abe.

I'm voting a solid B for the offense. There are a lot of debatable things, but I am dead dog certain we have more talent than what it takes to score ZERO offensive points in the most important game of the year.

As for defense, I'd say a little of both, but there's a lot more A in there than what I'd wish. I think Van Gorder got a lot out of his talent. I'm not saying Nolan can't get more, perhaps significantly more. But I think we pretty much maximized what we have on defense, talent wise. With the exception of some of the passive zone coverage.