How Old Is Tony Gonzalez? Age Doesn't Matter With Him, But It Does With Abe?

Why wasn't age an issue when we re-signed Tony Gonzalez? However, age seemed like the prevailing argument against signing Abraham. In addition, people say that Abe doesn't show up in big games. Heck, he looked pretty good to me against the Giants in the playoffs. Seemed like the only person that wanted to get after Eli. Where has Tony been in big games? Maybe the good/great teams know how to game plan to take away the few threats we have.

Why wasn't age an issue when we re-signed Tony Gonzalez? However, age seemed like the prevailing argument against signing Abraham. In addition, people say that Abe doesn't show up in big games. Heck, he looked pretty good to me against the Giants in the playoffs. Seemed like the only person that wanted to get after Eli. Where has Tony been in big games? Maybe the good/great teams know how to game plan to take away the few threats we have.

Just like the same BS that used against Grimes. Fans are fickle and turn on players VERY quick.

The problem though is that Tony G has always bee steady and healthy. Abe has been inconsistent and has a problem groin.

Talk to me when Abe starts living on Kelp and writes a nutrition book.

That said, I don't think Abe's too old to play, just too old to pay $12 million a year to. Not to mention he's had perennial groin issues. Tony has been practically injury free for like 90% of his career.

I;m glad Abe's back. He'll have a 10 sack year, easy.

Just like the same BS that used against Grimes. Fans are fickle and turn on players VERY quick.

The problem though is that Tony G has always bee steady and healthy. Abe has been inconsistent and has a problem groin.

I get that. I just feel that Abe is more important to the team's overall success than Gonazalez. Tony is a luxury, more than a necessity, seeing that we have two stud #1 receivers. On the other hand, without Abraham, we have nothing in terms of a pass rush.

That said, I don't think Abe's too old to play, just too old to pay $12 million a year to. Not to mention he's had perennial groin issues. Tony has been practically injury free for like 90% of his career.

IMHO, John Abraham knew darn well he wasn't getting $12 million a year at his age. That was something that was thrown out there by him for the fans and media to nibble on.

Guest Negatorris

Imagine all the third downs we converted with Tony? Roddy was off this season and Julio isn't really Mr.Surehands. Tony has been an elite TE every season and you just dont let him go. Abe was not elite this season, and he misses games. Tony important to our offense more than you think.

Imagine all the third downs we converted with Tony? Roddy was off this season and Julio isn't really Mr.Surehands. Tony has been an elite TE every season and you just dont let him go. Abe was not elite this season, and he misses games. Tony important to our offense more than you think.

Didn't Roddy lead the league in third down conversions? Yes he did (tied with Megatron and Welker with 77).

For being "off" last season, Roddy did pretty good in that category. I just love revisionist history.

Edited by Slick Skillet

Exactly!

And when TG goes out on a pass route the defense has to worry about Roddy, Julio, as well. When Abe rushes the passer the o-line is only concerned about him. Not to mention the fact that tight ends are no where near as valuable as a defensive end. The tight end its more of a mismatch position than a skill position. You can pluck a power forward off of a college basketball team and as long as he has heart he can walk right into the nfl and dominate as a tight end. Quality defensive ends are much harder to find.

But Blank is a marketing guy. He only cares about players that get photographed.. Receivers, running backs, Qb's.

Basically? A joke.

Not to mention. I don't even recall any tweets from T G. Abe tweets and shares his world with fans all the time. He just isn't appreciated.

Edited by WeNeedaQB

Tony is still playing at a high level... Abe can only take advantage of sub par offensive linemen.

What top notch defenses did Tony "BEAST" against? Tony's best games in terms of catches came against Minnesota, Seattle, Philly, Carolina, and Houston. Except for Houston, looks like some "not so good" defenses.

Edited by Slick Skillet

Tony is Matt Ryans safety blanket. Abe, while good, is old AND injured constantly. That's why age is a problem with Abe. His age isn't helping out his durability at all.

And being Matt Ryan's security is not all it's cracked up to be. Dumping it off for 5 yards on 3rd and 11 doesn't cut it for me.

Guest Negatorris

Didn't Roddy lead the league in third down conversions? Yes he did (tied with Megatron and Welker with 77).

For being "off" last season, Roddy did pretty good in that category. I just love revisionist history.

Yes, but without Tony G, Roddy would have been targeted a lot more, and as a result dropped more passes.

Yes, but without Tony G, Roddy would have been targeted a lot more, and as a result dropped more passes.

So what are you saying? Tony is making Roddy better? I think you have it backwards my friend. Defenses are inclined to gives us Tony's production and take away Roddy. With Julio's emergence, Tony will definitely get single coverage. I would love to see Roddy get single coverage all game. Same for Julio. You saw what he did to Aqib Talib in that Tampa game?

Edited by Slick Skillet

the thread should've ended here ^