Vince Manuwai

vel

Vince Manuwai doesn’t just enter a room, he envelops the space. So, when he enters the closet-size office that overlooks the IMG Performance Institute weight room for a post-workout chat, it’s something like sharing an elevator with a 330-pound, ink-covered boulder.

His voice, though, belies his monstrous frame. Soft, but deliberate. Thankful, not arrogant. Even when he talks about his notable achievements, he does it with a disclaimer.

“I’m not saying it was all me – I had a lot of help – but seven out of the eight years I started (for Jacksonville), we had a 1,000-yard rusher,” he says. “Look at the numbers last year. Twelve games, no penalties, one sack allowed and opened holes for a running back who made the Pro Bowl. What else do you want from a lineman?”

Manuwai asks the question only half-rhetorically, because he’s now trying to find a place on another NFL roster after spending eight seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars and being released by the team this offseason. Now, he spends his days at IMG Academies doing Physical Conditioning, Nutrition Training and other disciplines to show the league that he’s still one of the top lineman.

The result? He’s down to his ideal playing weight of 331.

“There’s a difference between 331 untrained and 331 trained,” he says with a laugh. “I feel leaner. My body feels more stable. I’ve been doing everything right. Eating right. Getting rest. I feel good.”

That he made it this far as professional football player is surprising enough. Growing up the oldest of seven siblings in a poor area of Hawai’i, Manuwai found his outlet through football, but never actually thought about making a career of it. When June Jones recruited him to the University of Hawai’I, his only thought was Hey, at least now I don’t have to go right to work after high school.

Not until he saw pro scouts at games did he start considering pro football. After going in the 3rd round of the 2003 NFL Draft, Manuwai helped the Jaguars become one of the league’s toughest running offenses.

Now, he’s ready to prove to the world he can still dominate because his desire for the game hasn’t changed.

“It’s man on man,” he says, focusing in on your eyes as if he’s already back on the line and the ball is about to be snapped. “When I line up on the ground, I want that yard and I’m going to get it.”

Vince Manuwai named by ESPN as a top player without job

Friday, October 7th, 2011

Read the full ESPN story here.

When healthy, former Jaguar Vince Manuwai can be a top-flight run blocking guard. Like Garrard, they seemed like players who would land another job in relative short order.

But more than a month into the season, they and many others who may still be NFL-caliber players are floating around, jobless.

Wow, missed this. That's reassuring. Now let's find a LT.

Yea when I read it, I knew a lot of people missed it because all you heard was his run blocking ability and people on here fabricated his lack of pass blocking ability. The guy was a LG, that's the better pass blocker of the two, for 8 years. I don't care the caliber of team, you don't start for 8 years if you suck.

I still remember when Manuwai was considered a top 10 OG. As stated, their line produced a 1000 yard rusher every year except for 1 and i would think anyone grading his pass blocking in some of them years would of had more trouble as Garrard was a lot more mobile than the average QB.

Yea when I read it, I knew a lot of people missed it because all you heard was his run blocking ability and people on here fabricated his lack of pass blocking ability. The guy was a LG, that's the better pass blocker of the two, for 8 years. I don't care the caliber of team, you don't start for 8 years if you suck.

I was worried about him being injured. If we can just address LT, I'll relax. I just can't go into the season worrying that Baker might get to start. Pat Hill or not. Get the best LT available and you will see the boards calm down.

I still remember when Manuwai was considered a top 10 OG. As stated, their line produced a 1000 yard rusher every year except for 1 and i would think anyone grading his pass blocking in some of them years would of had more trouble as Garrard was a lot more mobile than the average QB.

I'd say Gerrard just looked more mobile because he was replacing Byron,aka the statue, aka the human t-shirt cannon, Leftwich. Gerrard was alright though. They sure could've used him last year. I'm glad they didn't, because Del Rio might still be there, and Mularkey might still be with us. Scary.

I was worried about him being injured. If we can just address LT, I'll relax. I just can't go into the season worrying that Baker might get to start. Pat Hill or not. Get the best LT available and you will see the boards calm down.

I don't know why the boards were in uproar to begin with when McNeil was always the best LT available (Gaither was never "available" truly) and he hadn't even moved. Now that things are moving, TD can get McNeil cheaper and have his OLine fixed pre-draft. Sign McNeil and the offense has no pressing needs. Some may say Center or TE, but those aren't truly pressing.

I don't know why the boards were in uproar to begin with when McNeil was always the best LT available (Gaither was never "available" truly) and he hadn't even moved. Now that things are moving, TD can get McNeil cheaper and have his OLine fixed pre-draft. Sign McNeil and the offense has no pressing needs. Some may say Center or TE, but those aren't truly pressing.

We can add depth to the O-line or D-line. TE would be great or at 55 we can take BPA. RB, WR, CB or another piece to us as a building block of a future free agent when they leave.

If Vince and McNeil (if we land him) do what they have done this will be like Harvy Dahl all over again but would be good for us for several seasons. Get a center and our oline is set.
harvey dahl waasnt anything specail.. clabo was the better lineman l, dahl played tough and hard cause he wasnt very athletic.. and his pass blocking is not that great...

I love his toughness and heart, but it was the right move to let him go n, let blalock n clabo play

We can add depth to the O-line or D-line. TE would be great or at 55 we can take BPA. RB, WR, CB or another piece to us as a building block of a future free agent when they leave.

We have OLine depth. Svitek, Reynolds, Johnson, Jackson. No point in taking OL depth at #55. No DE at #55 as we have 5 already. I see DT as the top choice there now. It'd be a waste to take a TE at #55 who won't play unless it's the best value.

I'd say Gerrard just looked more mobile because he was replacing Byron,aka the statue, aka the human t-shirt cannon, Leftwich. Gerrard was alright though. They sure could've used him last year. I'm glad they didn't, because Del Rio might still be there, and Mularkey might still be with us. Scary.

Hope Vince's missing a year was just about money and nothing else. btw Who is Gerrard?

We have OLine depth. Svitek, Reynolds, Johnson, Jackson. No point in taking OL depth at #55. No DE at #55 as we have 5 already. I see DT as the top choice there now. It'd be a waste to take a TE at #55 who won't play unless it's the best value.

You are right but the OL depth is nothing worth talking about. Our DT depth is better unless a 330 slobber knocker comes along for us at DT we could get at 55. At this point, our pick at 55 is more of BPA than a certain position.

harvey dahl waasnt anything specail.. clabo was the better lineman l, dahl played tough and hard cause he wasnt very athletic.. and his pass blocking is not that great...

I love his toughness and heart, but it was the right move to let him go n, let blalock n clabo play

His nastiness and confidence was what helped our line in 2010. Not is lack of certain skills.