I Think We're About To Sign Marcus Mcneill For Really Cheap (Why Inside)

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency?module=HP11_cp

If you go down the page until you find Marcus McNeill's free agent buzz, as of Saturday they had three teams listed as interested: the Falcons, Lions, and Chiefs.

The blip reads: Analysis: McNeill told the Detroit Free Press during his Friday visit with the Lions that he'd be happy to join the team if it can't retain Jeff Backus. McNeill, a two-time Pro Bowl pick with the Chargers, said he also has scheduled visits with the Falcons and Chiefs next week.

Well the Lions re-signed Backus today, and with Gosder Cherilus at RT that should eliminate the Lions from contention for McNeill's services.

The Chiefs have Branden Albert at LT, and signed RT Eric Winston today to a $22 million deal. That should also eliminate the Chiefs from the hunt.

Of the listed interested teams left that leaves just us. With his market drying up significantly, the ball is in our court to make him a one-two year deal for minimal in guarantees and heavy on incentives. Even if TD likes Sam Baker this deal is very much worth it for the Falcons. McNeill, when healthy, is a Top 8 left tackle in the NFL. If he can stay healthy for the full year we should see a lot less of Matt Ryan on the ground and a lot more deep balls to Roddy, Julio and HD. We need someone to push Baker for the LT spot and Svitek isn't the guy -- that's like the Jets bringing in Drew Stanton to "push" Sanchez. If a healthy Baker can beat out a healthy Marcus McNeill then I will feel better about Baker being our starting left tackle. I doubt this would happen however and we'd have a great OT combo of McNeill and Clabo.

Make it happen TD. Please?

Yeah, Bell and Collins are still out there too. I'm kind of surprised, there are like what, 2-3 good LTs in the 1st round?

Yup and there are just a couple teams even possibly in the market for a starting LT.

So Supply and Demand should take over here.

The supply is higher then the demand at this moment so the price should be lower.

Dirty Bird, beat you to this thread by 5 minutes wink.png ~no worries

I saw that, you must've posted it while I was typing mine. Glad we both saw this -- if it's that evident to us I hope it's that evident to McNeill's agent and he starts negotiating.

This offense is 2 pieces and 2 developments away from being great

1 piece = Marcus McNeill

1 piece = young, move TE (Michael Egnew in the 3rd)

1 development = HD becomes a consistent threat and is utilized to the fullest by Koetter

1 development = Jacquizz's role is scaled up and we use him like Koetter used MJD in Jax. They have similar running styles (not saying J.R. is as good as MJD)*

If those 4 things happen, and they can -- then this offense will be a nightmare for defenses. McNeill is the most important of the 4, because if Matt Ryan has no time to make a good throw then the other 3 are useless.

I saw that, you must've posted it while I was typing mine. Glad we both saw this -- if it's that evident to us I hope it's that evident to McNeill's agent and he starts negotiating.

1 piece = Marcus McNeill

1 development = HD becomes a consistent threat and is utilized to the fullest by Koetter

1 development = Jacquizz's role is scaled up and we use him like Koetter used MJD in Jax. They have similar running styles (not saying J.R. is as good as MJD)*

If those 4 things happen, and they can -- then this offense will be a nightmare for defenses. McNeill is the most important of the 4, because if Matt Ryan has no time to make a good throw then the other 3 are useless.

nice....

If we go after a 3rd round TE I'd rather see Ladarius Green in Atlanta, but I suppose this isn't the proper thread for TE discussion.

I just really want McNeil right now.

1 piece = Marcus McNeill

Pretty good analysis. I'd be willing to venture out a little and say that there's gotta be a caveat on McNeil being healthy AND 100%. Just because we get him won't necessarily mean he will be who he once was. Obviously I do agree that if healthy, he is what Sam Baker dreams of being as a LT. I just cross my fingers that McNeil has fully recovered and will be in 'football shape' come September (if we sign him).

Pretty good analysis. I'd be willing to venture out a little and say that there's gotta be a caveat on McNeil being healthy AND 100%. Just because we get him won't necessarily mean he will be who he once was. Obviously I do agree that if healthy, he is what Sam Baker dreams of being as a LT. I just cross my fingers that McNeil has fully recovered and will be in 'football shape' come September (if we sign him).

This. Him not being able to pass the Chargers physical does throw up a red flag.

This. Him not being able to pass the Chargers physical does throw up a red flag.

McNiell was going to fail that physical no matter what. In March his 10 million plus salary for 2013 would have become guaranteed, if...he passed his physical. When McNiell was hurt and missed six games last season, Gaither was signed and did well (TD missed on that one folks). Gaither re-signed with SD for half of what McNiell was due to make in 2012.

So you see it really did not matter to SD what kind of shape McNiell was in, he was still gone. Heck they might as well have given Marcus his physical over the phone (and who knows, maybe they did). They were going to fail him anyway.

I am hearing different things. I read a post somewhere, cant recall, that Marcus has spinal stenosis. Hard to knoiw to what degree or if that helped contribute to his injury last season.

I have advocated signing McNiell ever since I first read and then posted here a series of articles showing why he would be released and why we could use him. But...if he has a congenital condition this might be a deal breaker. Stay tuned.

http://www.nfl.com/f...?module=HP11_cp

If you go down the page until you find Marcus McNeill's free agent buzz, as of Saturday they had three teams listed as interested: the Falcons, Lions, and Chiefs.

The blip reads: Analysis: McNeill told the Detroit Free Press during his Friday visit with the Lions that he'd be happy to join the team if it can't retain Jeff Backus. McNeill, a two-time Pro Bowl pick with the Chargers, said he also has scheduled visits with the Falcons and Chiefs next week.

Well the Lions re-signed Backus today, and with Gosder Cherilus at RT that should eliminate the Lions from contention for McNeill's services.

The Chiefs have Branden Albert at LT, and signed RT Eric Winston today to a $22 million deal. That should also eliminate the Chiefs from the hunt.

Of the listed interested teams left that leaves just us. With his market drying up significantly, the ball is in our court to make him a one-two year deal for minimal in guarantees and heavy on incentives. Even if TD likes Sam Baker this deal is very much worth it for the Falcons. McNeill, when healthy, is a Top 8 left tackle in the NFL. If he can stay healthy for the full year we should see a lot less of Matt Ryan on the ground and a lot more deep balls to Roddy, Julio and HD. We need someone to push Baker for the LT spot and Svitek isn't the guy -- that's like the Jets bringing in Drew Stanton to "push" Sanchez. If a healthy Baker can beat out a healthy Marcus McNeill then I will feel better about Baker being our starting left tackle. I doubt this would happen however and we'd have a great OT combo of McNeill and Clabo.

Make it happen TD. Please?

Great point. Like the way you're thinking. Maybe this is what TD meant by 'being patient". With our cap situation we had no other choice really. Hope it works out for us, whether it is McNeil or ano of the descent OT left in FA.

There is no bigger advocate of the o-line than me. I believe that building a powerhaus offensive line is the foundation of building a great team. QB's have time (and confidence) to throw. RB's have holes to run through. Defense stays off the field, and can play protecting a lead. Everything starts with the offensive line.

Everything.

But I am scared of McNeill. He is the best out there IF HEALTHY. Aye, and there's the rub. We already have too many people with that caveat on their scouting reports. We are already counting too much on doctors and trainers and Lady Luck to keep our team viable.

The scariest thing is that I don't see a player out there who is as good or better who doesn't have a health concern. We may well be forced into rolling the dice on yet another M*A*S*H escapee.

I don't understand how this still comes up. Like ego said, there was no way he was passing that physical even if he could literally fly or lift a car above his head. That is not a red flag. Baker is clearly passing physicals but if he had a $10MM roster bonus coming up, you would see Baker all of a sudden not pass his physical. It's common sense.

I don't understand how this still comes up. Like ego said, there was no way he was passing that physical even if he could literally fly or lift a car above his head. That is not a red flag. Baker is clearly passing physicals but if he had a $10MM roster bonus coming up, you would see Baker all of a sudden not pass his physical. It's common sense.

That is certainly debatable . We have really no way to know for sure . If the Chargers really wanted to keep McNeil , they could have released him from his current contract and signed him at a later date . But they elected to sign Gaither who has had injury concerns himself throughout his career but is reportedly in great shape now. Or it could've been a money issue , figuring Gaither was the better risk .

Another sign was McNeil going to Detroit and the team elected to re-sign Backus who clearly isn't on the same plane as McNeil as far as in talent . A player who can't pass a physical is a concern especially if signing him is going to cost millions .

Edited by Falcons 'til Death

1 piece = Marcus McNeill

Granted, those things are a possibility, but as of right now, that is just speculation. If and when it does happen, I will need to see it to believe it. Till then, it is merely wishful thinking.

That is certainly debatable . We have really no way to know for sure . If the Chargers really wanted to keep McNeil , they could have released him from his current contract and signed him at a later date . But they elected to sign Gaither who has had injury concerns himself throughout his career but is reportedly in great shape now. Or it could've been a money issue , figuring Gaither was the better risk .

Another sign was McNeil going to Detroit and the team elected to re-sign Backus who clearly isn't on the same plane as McNeil as far as in talent . A player who can't pass a physical is a concern especially if signing him is going to cost millions .

Like I said in another thread:

The writing was on the wall for McNeil once Gaither came and dominated. Why pay McNeil $10MM when you can keep Gaither for less but just as good if not better? Doesn't make sense anyway you cut it. McNeil went to Detroit and passed the physical there. They resigned Backus because the most important thing on the OLine is continuity. They clearly think Backus has recovered from his injury. So the smart thing to do is bring back your current LT over an outsider.

It doesn't make sense to pay McNeil $10M when you have Gaither for les than $10MM. So they failed him on his physical so it wasn't just them cutting him. The fact that he passed the Lions physical proves this. The Lions re-signed Backus because if you have to take an injury risk, take it on the player you know.

1 piece = Marcus McNeill

i like that alot!!

1 piece = Marcus McNeill

I would put solid RG play in there as well.