What Positions Should We Draft?

The O.D.B

This is the first year in a while where people on our board and in the media are all over the place in predicting our draft selection. I've seen our 55 pick predicted as FS,RB,CB,OG,OT, ect.

I've done allot of thinking about this and have tried to target, the positions that would be our Achilles heel if a player went down. I also tried to keep in mind what players could actually see the field and not just be 3rd level depth with future potential.

So, with this in mind I wan't to know your opinions on the positions we should take in this draft. Mention the player you like as well if you have one.

Here's My to 3:

1) S - Moore hits hard and is very likely to spend at least some time on the bench because of it. We still don't know if Nolan will be able to fix DeCoud. I'd like to see us get someone that can play both S positions. - was on George Iloka but am now looking at Anthony Allen.

2)LB - we aren't likely to re-sign Pete so, if Nic goes down LB looks ugly real quick.

3)QB - It's a long-shot that we get a guy who can jump up to Matty's backup but sooner or later we have to get someone who can win if Matty goes down.-Kellen Moore

i do realize whenever a player goes out injured that the talent drop off may be big. IMO These positions represent the greatest drop off in talent. I'd throw CB in but I think Nolan will make our guys look great.

This is the first year in a while where people on our board and in the media are all over the place in predicting our draft selection. I've seen our 55 pick predicted as FS,RB,CB,OG,OT, ect.

I've done allot of thinking about this and have tried to target, the positions that would be our Achilles heel if a player went down. I also tried to keep in mind what players could actually see the field and not just be 3rd level depth with future potential.

So, with this in mind I wan't to know your opinions on the positions we should take in this draft. Mention the player you like as well if you have one.

Here's My to 3:

1) S - Moore hits hard and is very likely to spend at least some time on the bench because of it. We still don't know if Nolan will be able to fix DeCoud. I'd like to see us get someone that can play both S positions. - was on George Iloka but am now looking at Anthony Allen.

2)LB - we aren't likely to re-sign Pete so, if Nic goes down LB looks ugly real quick.

3)QB - It's a long-shot that we get a guy who can jump up to Matty's backup but sooner or later we have to get someone who can win if Matty goes down.-Kellen Moore

i do realize whenever a player goes out injured that the talent drop off may be big. IMO These positions represent the greatest drop off in talent. I'd throw CB in but I think Nolan will make our guys look great.

Mine would be

1. TE

2. LT

3. S

I would take

1. C - Mike Brewster, Ben Jones,

2. TE - Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen

3. DE - Whitney Mercilus, Vinny Curry, Bruce Irvin

Of course we would only be able to get one of these guys as they will all be gone by the end of the second round, with the exception of maybe Irvin.

Edited by txfalconfan

Some people actually believe DT should be our first pick.

I actually thought about DT quite a bit and would take one if we could dump Jerry without losing cap space. However, we can't so he gets 1 more year to prove he's not a bust.

I'm actually surprised to see so many people picking LT because of where we pick. I'm kinda surprised about the TE picks as well, only because I think our offense could click along fine without Tony. He's just makes things allot easier IMO

I would take

1. C - Mike Brewster, Ben Jones,

2. TE - Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen

3. DE - Whitney Mercilus, Vinny Curry, Bruce Irvin

Of course we would only be able to get one of these guys as they will all be gone by the end of the second round, with the exception of maybe Irvin.

I also thought about DE allot as well and while I'd love to get Curry or Irvin I don't know where we'd put them on the roster and we do have pretty good talent all around at DE.

I think logically we need a TE, and not just one to replace Gonzo. We're still a TE short. We'll likely draft one this year AND next year to actually replace Gonzo's spot. I also think a G/C combo player would work, an OT, perhaps a NT, and maybe even a K.

Ultimately, I'd love to be in position to draft BPA all draft long.

CB 2nd round Since we signed Abe I don't see us drafting won in the 2nd round but a corner will be able to start right away in the slot i like Brandon Boykin because of his versatility. He reminds me of a Weems 2.0 and I believe that that is what will make him a valid choice for the falcons because he favors the guy they lost but with more versatility to be a receiver, punt and kick off returner and a CB on the outside or the slot.

DT in the 3rd round to replace Peria Jerry who I believe will receive his walking papers soon.

I see a safety so where in the 5th or 6 round for depth don't know anything else.

He is a natural Nickel in the slot guy just listen to his interview.

I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to tho draft class. It's not a real impressive after the first 10-15. Not having a first rounder makes it even less interesting.

I like that OG, Brooks from Miami (Ohio). There's been a lot of buzz about him. Ben Jones would be a good one too. Still not sold on Hawley, we could use a Center for the future.

I'd love to see us pick up a fatty NT style DT for 3-4 looks and more push in the 4-3.

I really, really want Brandon Boykin to replace Weems on returns, and he's solid DB depth, and can play a little WR/RB. He'd be a fan favorite. I'd flip if we could get him in the 3rd.

I wouldn't mind a TE like Fleener, and I haven't given up on Orson Charles. Apparently he's had a real comeuppance after the trouble, so hopefully he's learned his lesson.

I guess my UGA homer is showing, but the 3 I mentioned would be great pick ups.

Like I said, I haven't paid a lot of attention this year. My list would probablybe less homerlicious if I had.

No LT. We need experience here and not another draft project. Baker gets cut.

TE. We have bigger fish to fry this off season unless it is later on in the draft unless Dwayne Allen is available. Say no to Fleener or Charles. if not Allen, give me George Bryan later to fill Reggie Kelly's spot or Josh Chichester

QB - we need a good backup. Redman is the cream of the crap - BJ Coleman?

WR - We could use one of those late - Brian Quick? Marquis Maze?

RB - Since we signed Snelling I could only see us taking Vick Ballard, Ganaway, Poole, or Bolden late

FB - Unless we cut Mughelli I don't see us drafting a FB here

OL - Ben Jones, Brandon Brooks, Quintin Saulsberry earlier or Rokevious Watkins late.

DE - Frank Alexander - late

DT - Travian Robertson - Late

OLB - Travis Lewis earlier or Danny Trevathan later

ILB - None early maybe Chris Marve late

CB - Alfonzo Dennard, Minnefield, or Boykin early or Menzie or Sneed later

S - Antonio Allen earlier or Charles Mitchell later

No K or P.

Well, we have several needs. We need a LT to replace Baker, and a pass rushing DE...but both of those generally require high picks, so we may not go that way.

We need TE, RB to replace Gonzales and Turner next year. We need OG to develop a truly good guy there. We need a playmaking FS.

Obviously, we can't get all of those in one draft, but getting a Turner and Gonzales replacement is critical.

So, I'd say we need to get TE, RB in the first four rounds. I'd also take either an OG or DE depending on BPA.

If we can go into the season with a 2nd TE (who will become 1st next year), and versatile RB, and an OG or DE who can compete, then each of those guys will help immediately.

We could also use a tall receiver.

I'd like to get in the habit of taking TE/RB/FS/WR in the 3rd and 4th rounds, while taking OL and DL in the 1st and 2nd.

Well I will list three in the order in which I think we can find legit starters for our team, if not today then later in the season.

Center. We need a vet at LT so this becomes a position of need simply because it takes cap space to sign vets and we will not find a starting LT in the second round, not this season anyway. A starting center can be had here.

3rd Corner/nickelback. Chevis Jackson did not work out. Owens and Franks are works in progress. Hayden is too injury prone. Time for some new blood, someone to push everyone else, come in and make plays.

Pass Rusher. We need some. Probably would not start soon since this is a fifth round pick however our need is so great here that anyone with any potential at all will get a look. For some reason I do not understand Sidbury does not rate more playing time. Maybe Nolan can fix that.

A case could be made for a 3-4 type nose earlier or a TE later to backup and maybe replace TG.

I think it will be the best DL or OL available. Other possibilities: LB with speed or a FB that has hands for our new screen game. A CB with good ball skills or good return man wouldn't be out of the question. I think you have to have flexibility at 55 in the draft, and go for the very best out there. It's hard to tell when so many other picks have to fall in place. Then you still have over a month for draft stock changes. I hope we strike gold.