If He Makes It To #2-55, This Is Who The Falcons Need To Draft....

g-dawg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's looking like a top 20 pick....

yeah, I keep thinking that a DT is gonna drop with Dontari Poe and Fletcher Cox slated to go before him, but you are right, he is never gonna drop to #55. Oh well, he is exactly the kind of D-Tackle that the Falcons need and don't have.....wishful thinking.

We have 7 roster spots still open and 8 needs:

C depth or starter- resign Mcclure or draft

OLB depth- Channing or draft

SS depth- Sanders or draft

CB depth- Hayden or draft

WR depth- draft or go with 5

LS - draft or UFA

NT - draft

TE depth- draft, possible TG replacement

KR/PR can be done by Franks, Smith, Rodgers, Douglas, or Cone. We will have to lose 1 spot to get a NT, either going 5 WRs or dropping a DT. Jerry would be best option. For rounds 2 and 3, the best options would be to go TE, NT, or C if Mcclure and/or Hawley isn't going to work out.

I can easily see Still being there at 55 and us taking him. The TE class doesn't look that great and one of the top 5 will be there in round 3. I would feel a lot better if they signed Mcclure, Hayden, and Sanders.

He's a monster. But do we really need another 300 lb DT? We need a big 350 lb fatty.

at 6'5", he is going to put on another 20-30lbs over the next few years. Our 300lbs. guys are all like 6'2" with shorter arms. This is the long DT we need. He just anailates people and collapses the pocket in pass defense and penetrates in run defense - exactly what we DON'T have now.

LS - draft or UFA

NT - draft

KR/PR can be done by Franks, Smith, Rodgers, Douglas, or Cone. We will have to lose 1 spot to get a NT, either going 5 WRs or dropping a DT. Jerry would be best option. For rounds 2 and 3, the best options would be to go TE, NT, or C if Mcclure and/or Hawley isn't going to work out.

I can easily see Still being there at 55 and us taking him. The TE class doesn't look that great and one of the top 5 will be there in round 3. I would feel a lot better if they signed Mcclure, Hayden, and Sanders.

glad you think Still could be there. I really don't anymore - but would love to be wrong. Thomas Dimitroff said Falcons are looking for GIRTH and I think this guy fits the bill. I believe Falcons need to upgrade the D-Tackle position desperately.....

If we could go LT in F/A (M. McNeil) then Still at #55, I'd be very happy. I agree, we need an upgrade at DT, and I'm not one of those people screaming for an obese NT.

6'5 300+ pounder is plenty big - uniquely sized player versus what we have now....

Still may drop due to, like you said, Poe, Cox and Worthy now ahead of him in a lot of circles. But I just don't like Penn St players. They never pan out. I would take a chance on Still, but not if I didn't have to.

ahhhhh, the PSU stereotype. That was a RB thing and it cost Larry Johnson a top 20 spot. I think Jared Odrick had a decent two years in Miami as a DT/DE.

Judge the player, not the uniform.

LS - draft or UFA

NT - draft

We don't need OLB depth or CB depth. Walls now becomes the #5 corner. Tatupu replaced Mike P's LB spot. We have 6 LBs on the roster. The others I agree with though.

I have always said that if we filled our DE and LT holes in FA, we would go DT at #55 most likely. I like Worthy and Ta'amu at #55. Ta'amu is 330+ and can play both NT in the 3-4 and 4-3.

SS I'd like to see Sanders back also many fans liked Tuimaunei and he's still on the roster

CB they did sign a 3rd year CB named McClain this off season ???

LS They signed Albritton and Adams this offseason Adams is a local

TE have 2 Blocking TEs from PS Winterswky and Gallarda --- no TG replacement

There is a HAnsen played LB in college but on the Falcon website he shows up as LB in some places and safety in others ????

We don't need OLB depth or CB depth. Walls now becomes the #5 corner. Tatupu replaced Mike P's LB spot. We have 6 LBs on the roster. The others I agree with though.

I have always said that if we filled our DE and LT holes in FA, we would go DT at #55 most likely. I like Worthy and Ta'amu at #55. Ta'amu is 330+ and can play both NT in the 3-4 and 4-3.

That would be a mistake to draft a DT with the #55 when a possible TE talent like Charles or Fleener may be had at #55. TE is a bigger need then a DT. If we are drafting a DT, I could later rounds. imo.

ahhhhh, the PSU stereotype. That was a RB thing and it cost Larry Johnson a top 20 spot. I think Jared Odrick had a decent two years in Miami as a DT/DE.

Judge the player, not the uniform.

It's hard for me not to. You know I love the draft time, but I am never convinced by Penn St guys. In the last 5 years, Odrick was the only one that has "panned out". Same with USC and most of those Big Ten schools and Clemson. Look at the talent USC always fields, who has panned out? Ohio St? Clemson always has some player that has a big name but they either never fulfill their potential at Clemson or bust in the league.

But I still give them chances to prove it during the draft season, they just haven't proven me wrong when they get in the NFL.

That would be a mistake to draft a DT with the #55 when a possible TE talent like Charles or Fleener may be had at #55. TE is a bigger need then a DT. If we are drafting a DT, I could later rounds. imo.

Do you think a center would be a possibility at #55 or will they wait until later?

How is TE more of a need than DT? Whoever we draft at TE is not going to play much with Tony G here. At DT, a second round pick is going to play a lot more because we really only have Babs and Peters. You can get Egnew in the third and be just as good. Go TE in the second and what DT would you get in the third or later? Getting Still/Worthy in the second and Egnew is better than getting Fleener and any DT in the third.

Do you think a center would be a possibility at #55 or will they wait until later?

Nope. Hawley is the center. This board is the only one who doesn't see and accept that

How is TE more of a need than DT? Whoever we draft at TE is not going to play much with Tony G here. At DT, a second round pick is going to play a lot more because we really only have Babs and Peters. You can get Egnew in the third and be just as good. Go TE in the second and what DT would you get in the third or later? Getting Still/Worthy in the second and Egnew is better than getting Fleener and any DT in the third.

You seriously debating that a DT is more of a need then a TE at this point? So we should just pass up at the opportunity of a next stud TE because you want us to draft another rotational DT?

Even if either TE's I named wasn't there, LT would be a bigger need then a DT.

It's possible a Center could be had at the #55 pick. If we do draft a center, I could see it being in the later rounds though.

Edited by Skar

the nice thing about Devon Still is he could play 4-3 NT but he would also be a great 3-4 DE. Falcons don't have any 6'5" guys that weigh over 300lbs - and that is the prototype for 3-4 Defensive Ends. Given that Mike Nolan wants to run a hybrid defense with some 3-4 looks, he needs a guy like this.

The only way i see us not taking orson or fleener is if there not there.. otherwise be ready for a TE

I hope not.....as much as I like Fleener/Charles, the Falcons need more weapons on defense and to repopulate the offensive line with more talented players.

Nope. Hawley is the center. This board is the only one who doesn't see and accept that

OH that fine-- but what I meant was a second center--- right now Hawley is the ONLY center.

Who else, where/when do they get another?

Edited by delaigle