Blank: Mike Smith Not On Hot Seat

clownorg

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth

tlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank has given a ringing endorsement of coach Mike Smith.

There’s been some talk in league circles that Smith could be on the hot seat because he’s failed to win a playoff game despite having a winning record in each of his first four seasons. Blank strongly shot down that talk in a conversation with Pete Prisco.

"I think if you tell me Mike Smith is on the hot seat, then find a hot seat on the North Pole," Blank said. "That's as hot a seat as he's on. That perception is about as far from the truth as you can get."

ncf_u_mikesmith_cmg_200.jpg

Mike DiNovo/US PRESSWIREMike Smith is the only coach in Falcons history to have four straight winning seasons.

Some of the speculation out there has included suggestions that Smith could be out of a job if he doesn’t win a playoff game in the 2012 season. But Blank told Prisco that Smith is safe, no matter what happens next season.

"Absolutely," Blank said. "He will be fine. He will be here for a very long time."

I think Blank sincerely believes that and he should because Smith is the best coach in franchise history. In a position where many have mercurial personalities, Smith is an exception. He’s a steady hand and I think that’s why his team has been a consistent winner in the regular season. But I also think part of the reason Blank believes Smith will be around is because the owner firmly believes the coach and the Falcons are gong to take the next step next season. Right after their playoff loss to the Giants last season, Blank publicly said that simply getting to the postseason isn’t acceptable.

Smith and general manager Thomas Dimitroff know that and I’m pretty sure they feel the same way. They’re both competitive guys and they don’t like coming up short in the postseason any more than Blank does.

There’s a good foundation in Atlanta and Blank doesn’t need to put pressure on Smith and Dimitroff to take the next step. They’ve put that pressure on themselves. The Falcons already have changed offensive and defensive coordinators and made other switches on the coaching staff. They’ve been quiet in free agency so far, but I expect Smith and Dimitroff to make a couple of calculated strikes at some point.

Despite the ugly loss to the Giants and some inconsistency in the regular season, I still view the Falcons as a team with the arrow pointing up. There will be some tweaks -- for the better -- in the offensive and defensive schemes. There will be some personnel added in free agency and the draft.

There also have been lessons learned in each of the four seasons that came up short of the ultimate goal. Smith and Dimitroff are sharp guys. They’re also very analytical. Fans can say the Falcons haven’t done anything this offseason and that’s true from a personnel standpoint. But Smith and Dimitroff haven’t been sitting still.

I’m sure they’ve used the past few months figuring out how they can take the next step.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth

tlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank has given a ringing endorsement of coach Mike Smith.

There’s been some talk in league circles that Smith could be on the hot seat because he’s failed to win a playoff game despite having a winning record in each of his first four seasons. Blank strongly shot down that talk in a conversation with Pete Prisco.

"I think if you tell me Mike Smith is on the hot seat, then find a hot seat on the North Pole," Blank said. "That's as hot a seat as he's on. That perception is about as far from the truth as you can get."

ncf_u_mikesmith_cmg_200.jpgMike DiNovo/US PRESSWIREMike Smith is the only coach in Falcons history to have four straight winning seasons.

Some of the speculation out there has included suggestions that Smith could be out of a job if he doesn’t win a playoff game in the 2012 season. But Blank told Prisco that Smith is safe, no matter what happens next season.

"Absolutely," Blank said. "He will be fine. He will be here for a very long time."

I think Blank sincerely believes that and he should because Smith is the best coach in franchise history. In a position where many have mercurial personalities, Smith is an exception. He’s a steady hand and I think that’s why his team has been a consistent winner in the regular season. But I also think part of the reason Blank believes Smith will be around is because the owner firmly believes the coach and the Falcons are gong to take the next step next season. Right after their playoff loss to the Giants last season, Blank publicly said that simply getting to the postseason isn’t acceptable.

Smith and general manager Thomas Dimitroff know that and I’m pretty sure they feel the same way. They’re both competitive guys and they don’t like coming up short in the postseason any more than Blank does.

There’s a good foundation in Atlanta and Blank doesn’t need to put pressure on Smith and Dimitroff to take the next step. They’ve put that pressure on themselves. The Falcons already have changed offensive and defensive coordinators and made other switches on the coaching staff. They’ve been quiet in free agency so far, but I expect Smith and Dimitroff to make a couple of calculated strikes at some point.

Despite the ugly loss to the Giants and some inconsistency in the regular season, I still view the Falcons as a team with the arrow pointing up. There will be some tweaks -- for the better -- in the offensive and defensive schemes. There will be some personnel added in free agency and the draft.

There also have been lessons learned in each of the four seasons that came up short of the ultimate goal. Smith and Dimitroff are sharp guys. They’re also very analytical. Fans can say the Falcons haven’t done anything this offseason and that’s true from a personnel standpoint. But Smith and Dimitroff haven’t been sitting still.

I’m sure they’ve used the past few months figuring out how they can take the next step.

At least Blank and TD have been out in front saying "CALM DOWN" to the fanbase. Actually hearing from them, as opposed to everyone at Flowery Branch playing the "quiet game" gives me reassurance that we're not just sitting still.

idk. Blank appears to feel ok with Smith now & for the future, but what is he going to say? anything less than a glowing endorsement will make Smith's job more stressful and his decisions more conservative. the coach can do his job better if he is not afraid of being replaced.

But, how many Owners would talk bad about their HC? huh? blahblahblah blah

hypocrites

That's not my point. You are right, Arthur Blank would say this no matter what.

My point is that he is telling the truth here because to think otherwise is stupid.

That's not my point. You are right, Arthur Blank would say this no matter what.

My point is that he is telling the truth here because to think otherwise is stupid.

That made NO sense.

My ONLY point has been to have some understanding and to place everything in context. I don't care who/what is on the hotseat. So far though all we have are their word and they are either LYING or they are NOT. I personally don't play in shades of grey. That's just room for being a butthole whenever someone wants to be and I have no time for it.

You jumped up on your horse and started up about how Smith was just saying he felt comfortable with Baker as to not be a media jerk (context...I have proof unless you feel the need to edit) but then you say, to suggest otherwise would be silliy (same as the word you used). These guys are either on the hotseat or not and both posts suggest that NEITHER Baker or Smith is on the hotseat.

Careful about your logic here man. Not all of us forget easy.

Mike Smith's performance with the Atlanta Falcons has been so extremely stellar that it is ******** to think his job might be in jeopardy.

Hopefully that is more clearly stated.

that sounds sarcastic to me.

edit: i feel he has been quite good overall and certainly better than what we have had in a long time, but "exceptionally stellar" sounds a bit ridiculous.

That made NO sense.

My ONLY point has been to have some understanding and to place everything in context. I don't care who/what is on the hotseat. So far though all we have are their word and they are either LYING or they are NOT. I personally don't play in shades of grey. That's just room for being a butthole whenever someone wants to be and I have no time for it.

You jumped up on your horse and started up about how Smith was just saying he felt comfortable with Baker as to not be a media jerk (context...I have proof unless you feel the need to edit) but then you say, to suggest otherwise would be silliy (same as the word you used). These guys are either on the hotseat or not and both posts suggest that NEITHER Baker or Smith is on the hotseat.

Careful about your logic here man. Not all of us forget easy.

You seem a little angry lately.

Mike Smith's performance with the Atlanta Falcons has been so extremely stellar that it is ******** to think his job might be in jeopardy.

Hopefully that is more clearly stated.

Wait a minute though. The same guy who has been stellar said that Baker was having a hard time because he was injured and has been for multiple seasons. You mean to tell me that a guy who in Smith's eyes was good before the "injury" is on the hot seat?

That's not what he said there. He asked an "open ended question". Usually when Smith is ready to cut a player he says something along the lines of...I don't know it will be based on.....or....We'll have to wait and see where....

But you were quick to jump and say that it was just posturing. So which is it? Blank tells the truth and Smith is a liar?

You seem a little angry lately.

No, just if you make a point be clear that its only for the purpose that you want it to be. I don't like Baker either, but it seems as though (based on their comments) that he will be around. Also, note that ALL owners talk against their HC's being on the hot seat. So why is Blank any different? Because Falcons don't lie?

If Mike Smith had one more win, he would be tied with John Harbaugh and Mike Tomlin for the best win percentage of all active coaches.

And look where Mike Smith started from compared to those guys. Tomlin took over a team that had just won the Super Bowl.

So...c'mon, let's be real. Of course Mike Smith isn't on the hot seat. The notion that he might is just dumb.

But, how many Owners would talk bad about their HC? huh? blahblahblah blah

hypocrites

Beat me too it. What is he supposed to say? I have heard owners defending their coach and then be released the very next day or the coach just up and resigns. Nothing to see here. From now until the next playoff failure or not making the playoffs is a long way off.