Who's Signed So Far That We Could Have Used

vel

All of this complaining about TD sitting out and how he is an idiot and is passing up on a ton of talent and is stupid to think we don't need any FAs, here is a list of who has signed so far that we realistically would have gone after:

Levi Brown, re-signed with Cardinals

Mario Williams, signed for an insane amount of money

Jared Gaither, re-signed with Chargers

Jonathan Fanene, signed with Pats, same type of player as Langford but I doubt was on our radar

Paul Soliai, re-signed with Dolphins

Jeremy Mincey, re-signed with Jags

*4 of 6 re-signed with their team so there was no chance for Falcons to make a move.

I didn't add the OGs because we were never in that market after Manuwai was signed, but:

Carl Nicks, signed with Bucs

Ben Grubbs, signed with Saints

Steve Hutchinson, signed with Titans

Have I missed anybody that were realistically could have used and would have went after? Right now, our needs are LT and DE. I see 1 LT signed, correction RE-SIGNED, that we all knew was not leaving his team once McNeil was released. I see 2 DEs signed, one for the most money possible, not something we wanted, and the other never left his team's facilities. I see 1 DT that if we wanted so bad, we could have went after harder since we have his old coach, but he re-signed with his team. He never went on his visit to Denver.

What am I missing? I see this board freaking out about TD not making moves and missing out on talent but I don't see the talent he is missing out on. If they are re-signing to their teams, TD never had a chance in the first place to give them a pitch. I clearly have to be missing something that TD is passing on to make this board erupt in rage. Of the 48 players involved in FA/trades, ~30 are QBs, RBs, TEs, WRs, DBs, or LBs. That's 63%.

Unless you want TD to be an idiot and pay a guy like Eric Wright a 5yr $37.5MM contract just because the fans want a player signed, then be my guest, go ahead and continue to b*tch about TD watching prices fall like the Dow in 2008. But if you actually take time to see what is going on, the holes we need filled are still holding talent in FA: DE-Abe, Wimbley LT-McNeil, Bell, Collins

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't add the OGs because we were never in that market after Manuwai was signed, but:

Carl Nicks, signed with Bucs

Ben Grubbs, signed with Saints

Steve Hutchinson, signed with Titans

Do me a favor: read the following to yourself out loud, just to hear it, and see if it makes sense.

"Wow. Ben Grubbs is an All Pro Guard, and we need a guard. So do our arch-rival Saints. I would love to sign him, but I just signed this guard with a history of knee injuries, poor conditioning, who missed all of last season and part of 2010, and who is a poor pass blocker when healthy. I just can't sign this All Pro after signing Manuwai."

Read that out loud, and tell me how convincing that argument is.

Do me a favor: read the following to yourself out loud, just to hear it, and see if it makes sense.

"Wow. Ben Grubbs is an All Pro Pro Bowl Guard, and we need a guard. So do our arch-rival Saints. I would love to sign him, but I just signed this guard with a history of knee injuries, poor conditioning, who missed all of last season and part of 2010, and who is a poor pass blocker when healthy. I just can't sign this All Pro Pro Bowler after signing Manuwai."

Signing Manuwai says "I am putting my money on my decisions (Johnson and Jackson)". TD saw Grubbs and Nicks were going to be FAs before he signed Manuwai. He did it anyway. If he wanted Grubbs/Nicks, he would have waited for FA and got them.

Signing Grubbs/Nicks equates to wasted picks in the draft. We could have used that 3rd rounder spent on Johnson on a different player. TD didn't invest a top half pick on a career back up. Look at Dent. You're complaining because of who they went to. If Nicks signed with Seattle and Grubbs went to Minnesota, you would give two sh*ts, just like Williams signing with Buffalo.

Signing Manuwai says "I am putting my money on my decisions (Johnson and Jackson)". TD saw Grubbs and Nicks were going to be FAs before he signed Manuwai. He did it anyway. If he wanted Grubbs/Nicks, he would have waited for FA and got them.

Signing Grubbs/Nicks equates to wasted picks in the draft. We could have used that 3rd rounder spent on Johnson on a different player. TD didn't invest a top half pick on a career back up. Look at Dent. You're complaining because of who they went to. If Nicks signed with Seattle and Grubbs went to Minnesota, you would give two sh*ts, just like Williams signing with Buffalo.

Stubbornly refusing to see that his draft picks can't play a lick will cripple this team, cost him his job, and will send us back to the steaming pile of 4-win-teams. His decisions were crap. His refusal to see that proven Pro Bowl talent is better than his projects that have not, and will not, pan out will kill this team.

I wanted either Grubbs or Nicks--- whichever was cheaper--- from the beginning. Not because of where they went: because we need them. The interior line is vastly under-appreciated, but a QB's worst nightmare is pressure up the middle. A RB's worst nightmare in short yardage is the called hole being a solid wall.

I wondered about Hutchison, and also about Matt Birk... but they're pretty old, I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to bring them in.

One thing I have noticed, looking through the NFL 'Frenzy' page, is the type of teams signing, or being reportedly interested in players:

I see lots of Cardinals, Bills, Seahawks, Titans, Bucs, Dolphins and Jaguars. I don't see many Packers, Ravens, Steelers, Giants or Texans.

Possible exceptions are Patriots, who seem to tinker a lot with the mediocre players, and 49ers, who clearly need some receiving threats.

Now, I know some people would argue that this is because the second list above is full of teams who are much better than the Falcons and therefore they don't need to strengthen like we do, but it is worth considering that we're not the only ones playing it cool in FA, and that we're in good company.

Stubbornly refusing to see that his draft picks can't play a lick will cripple this team, cost him his job, and will send us back to the steaming pile of 4-win-teams. His decisions were crap. His refusal to see that proven Pro Bowl talent is better than his projects that have not, and will not, pan out will kill this team.

I wanted either Grubbs or Nicks--- whichever was cheaper--- from the beginning. Not because of where they went: because we need them. The interior line is vastly under-appreciated, but a QB's worst nightmare is pressure up the middle. A RB's worst nightmare in short yardage is the called hole being a solid wall.

I won't continue to argue with you as it's been obvious that you are not going to be convinced by anything/anybody. You have an obvious negative view on the outlook of the team, and that's fine. Like I said, be my guest, go ahead and continue to b*tch about TD watching prices fall like the Dow in 2008. FA is nowhere near over.

Vel you left out:

Eric Weems - could have been our #5 WR and played four positions on special teams

Because #5 WR is what makes or breaks teams

Vel you left out:

Laurent Robinson - could have been our #2 WR and saved us five draft picks for a DE, DT, TE, OT and OG

Because that worked out so well the first time around for the receiver that is on his 4th team in 3 years.

Vel you left out:

Eric Weems - could have been our #5 WR and played four positions on special teams

Laurent Robinson - could have been our #2 WR and saved us five draft picks for a DE, DT, TE, OT and OG

He played here remember ... we let him walk. He is nowhere close to the potential Julio has. I want to see the attitude around here in a couple of years regarding that trade

Vel you left out:

Weems has been our #5 WR. He just went somewhere he could compete for playing time. Plus, what he does is easily replaceable. Put Walls on ST in place of Weems and get a legit return man for cheap.

It's about time you got off your Laurent Robinson trip though. The guy did what here? The guy did what in St. Louis? He did what with San Diego? He was so amazing that three teams passed on him until he finally hit in Dallas. Hindsight sure is 20/20. I don't recall you being pissed he was let go.

Not sure if I can get away with posting in this thread, hopefully it doesn't throw things too off topic: Does the interest in Lofton from divisional rivals make him more valuable to us? It certainly makes him more valuable to the Saints/Bucs, because of his knowledge of the Falcons schemes etc.

Or perhaps it is a ploy to deliberately inflate Lofton's value and hence his contract demands?

I'd be annoyed if he went to the Bucs, I'd hate it if he went to the Saints. I know we shouldn't overpay, but the divisional-factor may add an extra reason not to be too stubborn in negotiations...

Not sure if I can get away with posting in this thread, hopefully it doesn't throw things too off topic: Does the interest in Lofton from divisional rivals make him more valuable to us? It certainly makes him more valuable to the Saints/Bucs, because of his knowledge of the Falcons schemes etc.

Or perhaps it is a ploy to deliberately inflate Lofton's value and hence his contract demands?

I'd be annoyed if he went to the Bucs, I'd hate it if he went to the Saints. I know we shouldn't overpay, but the divisional-factor may add an extra reason not to be too stubborn in negotiations...

Lofton doesn't know anything about the Falcons schemes because we have new coaches implementing their scheme. new plays, new terminology, new attitude. the only insight he has is of the players

Lofton doesn't know anything about the Falcons schemes because we have new coaches implementing their scheme. new plays, new terminology, new attitude. the only insight he has is of the players

and how much good has that ever really been for any team ...

1) I won't continue to argue with you as it's been obvious that you are not going to be convinced by anything/anybody.

2) You have an obvious negative view on the outlook of the team, and that's fine.

3) FA is nowhere near over.

1) I also have a track record of being right, and knowing what I'm talking about.

2) And with good reason. Unfortunately, I am not alone.

3) No, FA is not over. But the best players at the position that we needed most (and had someone worth spending FA money on) are gone; worse, they are gone to division rivals.

Let me explain further: yes, LT is more important than RG, but there are no LT's available that do not come with serious question marks. Neither Grubbs nor Nicks came with appreciable baggage; that made them much more attractive FA targets than McNeill/Gaither/Winston/etc., etc.

Julio - 54 rec, 959 yards, 8 TDs

Laurent - 54 rec, 858 yards, 11 TDs

Oh and injury prone Laurent played in more games than Julio. LMAO.

Laurent plus a DE, DT, OT, OG and TE>>>>>>>>>>Julio.

Trust me.

Dimi is definitely in over his head.

We only have one year to go on with Julio ... how many years before LR put up those numbers?

I sure am glad that you are not a GM, nor seem to be a boss at any company. If it was up to you, you would have a revolving door just because someone did not turn into an All Pro or a Pro Bowl player. There is only 5 All Pro lineman a year. 2T, 2G, 1C. So does that mean everyone is a bust and needs to be benched if one of these players become available? You think that the Sucs and the Aints were the only teams pursuing the G's? I can tell you they were not and the others teams said that the price was extremely to high and walked away.

The only player mentioned so far that I thought would be a solid target was Mincey. His Jacksonville deal was 4 years/$20M/$9M guaranteed. That's a contract the Falcons could have easily met or exceeded, and I know they have a high regard for him after multiple inter-team practices and a couple game experiences. I'm not surprised that their was no mention of any contact, but I am surprised that TD didn't land him. I can only assume that Mincey's foray into free agency was a tentative one, because he and his agent considered only one public offer before re-upping with the Jags. Apparently that's what he wanted right from the start.

The only player mentioned so far that I thought would be a solid target was Mincey. His Jacksonville deal was 4 years/$20M/$9M guaranteed. That's a contract the Falcons could have easily met or exceeded, and I know they have a high regard for him after multiple inter-team practices and a couple game experiences. I'm not surprised that their was no mention of any contact, but I am surprised that TD didn't land him. I can only assume that Mincey's foray into free agency was a tentative one, because he and his agent considered only one public offer before re-upping with the Jags. Apparently that's what he wanted right from the start.

of course he wanted to be in JAX - they will get Tebow and run the table this year ;)

Trust me.

Will you give this Robinson argument up please. If he was so great he would not have been cut by the Rams(need a WR), Chargers(need a WR), nor would he have been let go, after sitting the bench most the season and coming in on spot duty until a receiving corp was decimated with injuries, by the cowboys.

Trust me.

You seriously have a problem with hindsight. In two years with Atlanta, Robinson played 21 games, had 42 catches, 489 yards, and 1 TD. I guess you just knew we were letting a future stud go huh? He played in exactly 3 games his first year in St. Louis. He was let go after his second year by a WR needy Rams team. The Chargers picked him up but he didn't even make the 53 man roster. So if you think keeping Robinson would have been a smart move now that he had 1 good year with his 4th team in 4 years, then we all clearly are mistaken by you're genius. Robinson is looking just like Peerless Price right now.

"Wow. Ben Grubbs is an All Pro Guard, and we need a guard. So do our arch-rival Saints. I would love to sign him, but I just signed this guard with a history of knee injuries, poor conditioning, who missed all of last season and part of 2010, and who is a poor pass blocker when healthy. I just can't sign this All Pro after signing Manuwai."

First of all, I mistakenly hit like instead of quote. Second, read this to yourself.

With the falcons sitting at roughly $5 million under the cap, how could they possibly sign Ben Grubbs considering his contract averages roughly $8 million a season?