If Our Plan Is To Exploit The Bargain Market, Then We Shoud:

I, like many of you, were deeply frustrated with our team's lack of big moves this offseason. We didn't score in the playoffs and we've yet to win a playoff game under TD and Mike Smith. Maybe our poor showing in the playoffs left a bitter taste in the mouths of free agents and that's why we couldn't get anyone in the facility to sign them. Maybe that's why we tagged Brent -- perhaps TD had early indications that the likes of Cortland Finnegan, Brandon Carr, Carlos Rogers, and the rest wouldn't consider playing in Atlanta.

Well it is what it is at this point, and we still have some cap room to spend on some bargain free agents or exploit some trades. Right now let's say Lofton is gone (to the Saints it appears) but Abraham is brought back. Let's also say Dent and Tatupu claim the MLB spot in some fashion (neither can cover at this point however). Furthermore, let's pray that DeCoud has a good year.

1) Trade for Keith Rivers, 4-3 SLB from Cincinnati.

Rivers has been replaced since getting hurt in Cincinnati, but when fully healthy the 6'3 245 linebacker is a heck of a 4-3 SLB. He's still young and if his wrist injury isn't degenerative he could be a steal at $2 million for next season. I know we have Nicholas but he's been average at best. Rivers is faster, bigger, stronger, and overall better (when healthy). Having Sean on the weakside and Keith on the strongside of our 4-3 defense would allow us to cover the edges much better against the likes of Darren Sproles, DeAngelo Williams/Jon Stewart/Cam Newton, and maybe (please god no) Trent Richardson. Rivers can also cover over the tight end which is huge in the NFC South. We need to have someone that can cover Jimmy Graham, Greg Olsen, and Kellen Winslow off the line. I know you think Sean Weatherspoon can be that guy, but hes 6'1 and can't prevent these guys from catching the football most of the time. It's a low risk, high reward trade. If it works out, we have two of the more explosive OLBs in the league. If it doesn't, we have talented depth at the LB positions since Lofton is leaving and Tatupu could just as easily get hurt again at age 31. The Bengals are always looking for a defensive tackle, and we can offer our former 1st round "savior" Peria Jerry. He's lost his job in Atlanta and could do well in Cincy if given a 2nd chance which that team is famous for. It's possible we could even one of their DEs like Robert Geathers (a UGA alum) as an add-on since they have Michael Johnson at RDE and Carlos Dunlap rising at LDE.

Falcons give: DT Peria Jerry

Bengals give: SLB Keith Rivers, DE Robert Geathers

2) Sign DT Kendall Langford

And this is why we can trade Jerry. Right now we have Babineaux as our only above-average 4-3 DT. Peters is decent, Jerry is a bust. Unless we are planning on drafting a DT with our 2nd rounder (very possible since the position may be BPA), we need another player with difference-making abilities at DT. Enter Langford, who we should be able to sign for a couple million on a one year deal so he can re-enter FA after a hopefully stellar season. Our new DC Mike Nolan liked him, and when healthy Langford flashed dominant ability. The Dolphins have so many 3-4 DEs (Randy Starks, Jared Odrick, Kendall Langford, Philip Merling) that when he got hurt he got lost in the shuffle. He was a gem for Miami as a rookie and his best fit would probably be as a gap-shooter in a 4-3 even though he is over 300 lbs. Big, athletic with a mean-streak -- Langford may be the catalyst for our defensive line to take a huge step forward as a group. Last season when teams double teamed John Abraham, the rest of the offensive line didn't have problems because none of the other D linemen were making a consistent difference. Babs is good but he's actually a bit older now than when he was in his prime and isn't consistently collapsing the pocket. Ray had a bad year but I'm hoping he needed a full year to get comfortable on his new knee before hitting that 10 sack mark. Peters and Jerry couldn't do anything as the other DT. If Langford can push around the guard or center trying to block him, it should force one of the other linemen to come over to help freeing someone up or it should knock another OL off-balance so Babs or Ray can get to the QB. Our run defense would certainly improve (ignoring the loss of Lofton) vs. not having him, and my hope is that our pass rush greatly improved. Jason Jones would be a good fit as well but he won't be a bargain unless a few more teams pass on him. For now we'll give the edge to Langford for his familiarity with Nolan's schemes and cheaper price tag.

Falcons sign DT Kendall Langford

3) Trade for OT Matt Light.

The Patriots are contemplating releasing Matt Light since they have Sebastian Vollmer rooted in as the right tackle and 1st round pick Nate Solder ready to start at left tackle. Light is due to make $3.4 million this year and the Pats have deemed that too much for a 33 year old left tackle who would be a backup. The Falcons on the other hand could only dream to have such a great left tackle at $3.4 million for the season. TD is very familiar with Matt Light from his days in New England's front office and would presumably be able to pull of a deal. This would likely take a mid-round pick to get done, but for the sake of adding a player let's say we give them LB/DE Lawrence Sidbury. Sidbury is a better fit as a hybrid pass rusher in the Pats 4-3/3-4 scheme than he is trying to beat an OT man on man with his hand in the ground. New England has been good at developing pass rushers while we have not, so landing a player with his raw athletic ability would probably be a welcome addition in New England. All they part with is a back up OT. Light would get to compete for a Super Bowl while playing in a dome as opposed to riding the pine in the freezing Northeast during playoff runs. This would fix a major issue for our offense for this year at the least. He is a free agent after this year, so we could try to re-sign him if things go well or he could retire and we can address LT with our 1st round pick in 2013.

Falcons give: LB/DE Lawrence Sidbury, 5th round pick

Patriots give: OT Matt Light

So there you have it. Those are 3 bargain basement moves that would help make our team much better. Eliminating our #1 offensive need at the expense of Sidbury and a 5th is well worth it, while boosting our interior defense, pass defense, and perimeter run coverage with the signing of Langford and trading for Keith Rivers makes us a more formidable contender.

Still doesn't make us the same team as if we had signed a guy like Mario Williams, but we add some explosive young defensive players to our front 7 and shore up our offensive line with a tried-and-true blindside protector.

- TDB

I highly doubt anyone will give much value to either Sidbury or Jerry.. I would rather see the FO keep these guys so we have more depth.. I like the idea of trying to get Matt Light and Keith Rivers, just don't see the big dogs trading career backups for starters. Hopefully we can eventually fill the need of OT and DE though, otherwise next year could be a let down yet again.

I doubt any of the marquee names were sitting back thinking - "Atlanta, nope don't want to play for them, that seem to choke in the playoffs". It's about the money, plain and simple. MW signs in Buffalo, you think his thoughts were playing for a contending team? Nope, money!

You're right it's mostly about the money obviously the NFL is a business. However, not all players care JUST about the money, some actually want to win the Super Bowl. And I don't think that MW to the Bills was entirely about money. I think the Bills are a young up and coming team and Mario sees that. Also I think he likes the idea of mashing Tom Brady into the dirt multiple times a year.

You're right it's mostly about the money obviously the NFL is a business. However, not all players care JUST about the money, some actually want to win the Super Bowl. And I don't think that MW to the Bills was entirely about money. I think the Bills are a young up and coming team and Mario sees that. Also I think he likes the idea of mashing Tom Brady into the dirt multiple times a year.

Mario Williams to the Bills was not entirely about money, or else he would have visited Kansas City and Tampa Bay to drive up his price. The Bills offense, when fully healthy, is one of the more dynamic O's in the league. You saw that last year. It was their defense that was pure crap.

Imagine this 4-3 defensive line: DE Mario Williams next to prize draft pick DT Marcell Dareus next to one of the best DTs in the NFL Kyle Williams next to DE Chris Kelsey who had 5 sacks in 12 games last year. You're talking about the best 4-3 DT tandem in the NFL with one of the most dominating DEs lining up next to them. Imagine if Buffalo uses its 1st round pick on: DE Quentin Coples or DE Melvin Ingram. They would have the best 4-3 defensive line in the NFL, bar none. The Bills can contend with Mario Williams. Plain and simple. They need a little secondary help at safety, but they will get that in the 2nd round.

I highly doubt anyone will give much value to either Sidbury or Jerry.. I would rather see the FO keep these guys so we have more depth.. I like the idea of trying to get Matt Light and Keith Rivers, just don't see the big dogs trading career backups for starters. Hopefully we can eventually fill the need of OT and DE though, otherwise next year could be a let down yet again.

Just like Bengals fan say "I highly doubt anyone will give much value to Keith Rivers."

Value lies in the eye of the beholder. The Bengals are trying to trade him. Why not take a risk on a recent 1st round 4-3 DT when that's their biggest defensive need? They're giving up depth, not a starter.

The Patriots are considering releasing Matt Light. I'm sure they'd take any kind of compensation instead of releasing him for nothing.

Multiple NFL sources tell the Boston Globe the Patriots are "prepared to move on without" LT Matt Light and free agent C Dan Koppen.

Light is contemplating retirement, while Koppen will likely be allowed to walk after breaking his ankle in Week 1 last season. The Patriots' "hope" is to re-sign fellow free agent C Dan Connolly. According to the Globe, the "big question" is if Light will be willing to come back "as a backup at less money." The Patriots want to start Nate Solder and Sebastian Vollmer at tackle. Feb 28 - 8:18 AM

-- rotoworld

Man I just saw what Jared Gaither signed for with the Chargers 4 years 16 mill 1 mill this year 4 5 6 the following 3 good god if thats not a bargin I don't no what is.

Man this FO has to move surely they can't be serious with being comfortable with Sackmaker at LT.

That's not what he got. His deal is for 4 years and 24.6 million with 13.5 millions guaranteed over the first two years. Still pretty good deal.

Man I just saw what Jared Gaither signed for with the Chargers 4 years 16 mill 1 mill this year 4 5 6 the following 3 good god if thats not a bargin I don't no what is.

Man this FO has to move surely they can't be serious with being comfortable with Sackmaker at LT.

You don't get those prices shopping on Day 1/Day 2. That's what people don't understand. They want a guy like Marcus McNeil, but if TD signs him to a bloated contract on Day 1 of FA and McNeil gets hurt, then TD is an idiot and rightfully so. But you wait and let his price tag continue to fall, and contracts like the one Gaither got start setting the market, and you get a good player at a better price.

I doubt Jerry reels in a trade like that. Maybe trading Babs for those two. Sign Langford but keep Sidbury I think he might have a pretty good season under Nolan.

That makes our front 7: Sid/Langford/Peters/Geathers/Spoon/Dent or Tatupu/Rivers With Biermann and possibly our 2nd rnd pick is a DE/DT rotating

Mario Williams to the Bills was not entirely about money, or else he would have visited Kansas City and Tampa Bay to drive up his price. The Bills offense, when fully healthy, is one of the more dynamic O's in the league. You saw that last year. It was their defense that was pure crap.

Imagine this 4-3 defensive line: DE Mario Williams next to prize draft pick DT Marcell Dareus next to one of the best DTs in the NFL Kyle Williams next to DE Chris Kelsey who had 5 sacks in 12 games last year. You're talking about the best 4-3 DT tandem in the NFL with one of the most dominating DEs lining up next to them. Imagine if Buffalo uses its 1st round pick on: DE Quentin Coples or DE Melvin Ingram. They would have the best 4-3 defensive line in the NFL, bar none. The Bills can contend with Mario Williams. Plain and simple. They need a little secondary help at safety, but they will get that in the 2nd round.

And who's to say he din't have some sort of contact with KC/TB? Spin it however you will, at the end of the day he got the richest NFL Contract for a defensive play in history, to play for the Bills, man please it's always bout the money!

I agree. Williams wins on both counts, the Bills seem to be headed in the right direction, and they can afford to pay him big money... win-win

You don't get those prices shopping on Day 1/Day 2. That's what people don't understand. They want a guy like Marcus McNeil, but if TD signs him to a bloated contract on Day 1 of FA and McNeil gets hurt, then TD is an idiot and rightfully so. But you wait and let his price tag continue to fall, and contracts like the one Gaither got start setting the market, and you get a good player at a better price.

Yep I get all that but if Gaither got is a bench for LT's going in FA we gotta get one of those and to be honest even if McNeill is visiting I would have made a move to at least try and secure Gaither even for the DMO Dlo quoted its still a bargin for a guy who is starting to forfill his potiential.

Edited by kiwifalcon

Trading Sidbury when he finally has the chance to take over the RDE starting job and has shown a good deal of potential makes little sense. We also already have Nicholas as our bargain SLB.

Cheap SLB, not bargain. Bargain indicates that we got a very good player for decent money. He is a decent player at decent money. How many times last year did he make a "difference"? 0.

Yep I get all that but if Gaither got is a bench for LT's going in FA we gotta get one of those and to be honest even if McNeill is visiting I would have made a move to at least try and secure Gaither even for the DMO Dlo quoted its still a bargin for a guy who is starting to forfill his potiential.

We had 0 chance at Gaither. What don't you get about that? The Chargers had their LT in Gaither as soon as the season ended. Did you really think they would release McNeil only to have Gaither get signed away? Really? Come on kiwi you're smarter than that.