Pff Is Not In Love With The Bucs Fa Signings

tobyd77

4. What team were the big losers?

Sam: Tampa Bay spent huge and threw a crazy amount of money at Eric Wright.Wright has a lot of talent, but has been a poor player for much of his career and the Bucs paid him like he’s a stud.Crazy deal. That alone makes them losers.

5. What would your approach to free agency be if you were one of the following NFC franchises. Redskins (Ben), Bucs (Sam), Vikings (Neil), Cowboys (Nathan) and Seahawks (Khaled)?

Sam: Tampa Bay is a young team with a ton of salary cap room going into free agency.I think spending was the right choice, but I’m not wild on their choices.Carl Nicks might be the best one, but given how much they have tied up in the O-line already I’m not sure it is money well spent.As good as Vincent Jackson is, he’s 29 and one DUI away from a lengthy ban, I’d have been more inclined to look at Mario Manningham or Robert Meachem for that spot.Corner help was needed too, but I think they’d have been far better off spending big here and targeting Cortland Finnegan or Brandon Carr.I also think they would be well served to find some pass-rush help from somewhere, even if it isn’t in the shape of one of the marquee names.

The DUI comment is hilarious!

Yea bad teams with lots of money shouldn't pick up premium FA's because of the fear they might become average, god some of you are stupid.

When did I ever say that they shouldn't? All I said is that they might not live up to their paychecks. If I were in the Bucs shoes, I would have done the same thing, minus overpaying for Eric Wright. It's not like they had much of a choice.

Seems to me like a case of sour grapes here lol Nicks would slot into any OL, VJax could be really good for them, but i think they over paid for the CB, although they are a premium in a passing league.

If we had of signed Nicks to a similar deal, there would be message boarders here citing Atlantas free agent period uber successful. Now the Sucs have signed him, they have bombedrolleyes.gif

Well many on here live by what PFF say, so maybe this will shed some light on the fact that FA spending is over hyped by the fans.

An ignorant observation.

PFF didn't knock Tampa Bay for spending big $$$; they knocked them for spending on the wrong, or very risky, players. There is a big difference.

PFF is a steaming pile.

This is what I know - V-Jax and Nicks are dam good football players...Did they overpay? Sure they did, but those guys are elite players at their positions - it definitely makes Tampa better.

The cornerback? yeah, I think that was probably a bad signing.....

Tampa got better. there is no getting around that fact.

PFF is a steaming pile.

This is what I know - V-Jax and Nicks are dam good football players...Did they overpay? Sure they did, but those guys are elite players at their positions - it definitely makes Tampa better.

The cornerback? yeah, I think that was probably a bad signing.....

Tampa got better. there is no getting around that fact.

V Jackson is good, but certainly not 'elite'.

-suspended often

-only finished full NFL seasons in 3 out of 7 years

-never amassed over 1200 yards, 68 receptions, or 9 TD's in a season

His best feature, statistically, is his 17.5 ypc

best sign they had was Nicks ... I reserve judgement on VJ as Freeman has to get him the ball. I am glad that ATL did not overpay for a WR or CB of their caliber. Again, Nicks ... maybe, but I don't think guard is a huge need - although Rob made some good points to the contrary.

Here's my opinion as a Saints fan: I think adding Carl Nicks was huge for the Bucs. He's an outstanding player who not only has the capability to be an all-pro every season but also has Hall-of-Fame potential. He will be a tremendous addition to their offense and should really bolster their rushing attack. Last year, Saints' running backs averaged 6.6. years when running behind Nicks. That's an incredible number though I remember during our Superbowl season Jahri Evans paved the way for a 7.3 average. Still, it speaks to how devastating a run-blocker Nicks can be. I do, however, think that the Bucs would be in a better position if they were to get a back like Trent Richardson. While Blount is decent, I am not sure he provides the potency that having such a good run-blocking offensive line on paper merits.

Now, there are really no downsides to NIcks himself. But the Bucs still need to fix their RT issue. Davin Joseph has to demonstrate that last season was not an anomaly and continue to show consistency. And Zuttah will have to prove that he can handle the line calls. I liked him coming out, and think he will be fine between Nicks and Joseph. But it will be on him to help the entire line develop a sense of cohesion.The only concern with Nicks will be making sure that he does not slack off. Payton ran a tight ship and demanded a lot out of Nicks; if Greg Schiano can do the same, then he'll be fine. If he cannot, the emotional Nicks might become a problem. Also, NIcks will not tolerate his teammats half-assing it, which might bring dissension if the Bucs do not get off to a good start. Still, the Bucs get an A-grade for Nicks.

Now, on the other two signings. I am not high on them. Vincent Jackson is a big play threat downfield when he wants to be. He tends to pout at times when he doesn't feel in the flow of the game, and will not always fight for balls. I remember Marshall Faulk and the rest of the guys on NFL Network clowning Jackson a many times last season when the Chargers were on their losing streak. Michael Irvin, while impressed with Jackson's natural talents, chided him for his inconsistency. I think the talk of Jackson being the top WR on the market is laughable. I would have taken Colston over him. Colston, even with his knee surgeries, has VASTLY outproduced Jackson despite coming into the league a year later and playing six less games overall. The numbers aren't even close. I would have taken Meachem over him. I would have taken Harry Douglas over him. Honestly! You do not need a prima donna, you need production. And when you can add talented receivers who are flying under the radar, you can improve your team especially if your primary commitment will be to the run game. $55 million is a lot of coin for a guy who has not been the model of consistency and is 29. It is one thing for the Chargers to bring him back--familiar beast. But I would not be shocked if Meachem in S.D. outproduces Jackson in Tampa. And that's not hating on the Bucs. It is simply my honest evaluation of Jackson. I have just never been impressed with him.

Finally, my feelings on Eric Wright are much the same as Jackson. I like Wright coming out of UNLV and thought he was a talented corner. He looked really good his first year at Cleveland. But he has not gotten any better. If anything, he has regresssed. He has all the potential in the world but has not put it together. And the biggest play I can remember about him is not on he made. Every time NFL Network showed highlights of Robert Meachem, it was Eric Wright he was shaking up and down the field. Meachem beat Wright for a bomb, caught the ball, and then zig-zag his way in for a TD that made Wright's own parents cover their eyes. While Richardson would surely be a better bet than Blount, Morris Claiborne is probably more needed because Wright is not the answer. You will at least get above-average play out of Blount. With Wright he might have his moments, but the Marques Colstons, Steve Smiths, Julio Jones, Roddy Whites, Lance Moores, etc, will still get the best of him. Thus, I give the Bucs a C on Jackson and a D+ on Wright. Overall free agency grade: C+