Seriously, How Would You Like To Be 100% Commissioned Salesperson Now Trying To Sell Falcons Season Tix? Where Is The Excitement?

g-dawg

100000 seats isnt that big of a deal in a metro area of 10 million people. Heres the kicker though, in the land of TV, nobody saw enough TV revenue from the population to go and buy out the remaining tickets!!! They couldnt sell out a playoff game with the Frickin Steelers and the Raiders!!! Thats classic NFL football monstah size football.

Any team in the NFL would be foolish to locate in Los Angeles. Its a terrible football town when the teams are good and winning.

You're failing to address the big picture with the coliseum. The facilities are out dated and have not seen an upgrade since before I was born. The restrooms are a joke not to mention the concessions and the neighborhood where that place is located. Parking is a joke there as well.

The Lakers sellout almost every game and it's because the staples center is a well built sports entertainment facility.

If LA had a brand new stadium in a better location (like Carson or somewhere in orange county) they could sell out a stadium the size of the Georgia dome, especially of this team moved there.

The main problem with the coliseum is the dam coliseum commission.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will take a wait and see stance on this.Middle Tier is what our talent equated to with BVG & MM now its on Nolan and Koetter and MS to get this team over the hump.

If they don't this off season is failiure alot of fans wanted this now they have it.

All I no is if these new coaches don't get it done it'll be like Tsunarmi up in here and this team will have to be built again especially defensively.

I seriously doubt it - there always seems to be 10,000 empty seats every time I go to the Dome. I've never understood it - don't think there would be that many season-tickets being unused.

When we are winning, there's never 10K empty seats......well maybe until half way through the first quarter.

My dad was a Rams season ticket holder and I went to almost every home game every year of my youth when the Rams were in Anaheim. Your observation from one visit is flawed at best. Anaheim stadium was meant for baseball and the city failed to address this and build a new stadium for the Rams. That's why Georgia left Anaheim for St. Louis. Even during losing seasons, fans would show up.

You're also wrong about the record breaking day. I was there and the place was packed. If you really lived in LA you would also know how much of a joke the coliseum is.

The venue isn't the deal, it's the fans. Los Angeles is a sad sports town anyway. There are tons of empty seats for Dodgers games, the Lakers fans are worse at getting into their seats than we are, the Clippers has no fans, and the USC Trojans football team has seen their attendance hit 2002 and 2003 lows. To me our passion for football needs not be compared to any group in California.

The Falcons belong here. Since the Georgia Dome, the Falcons have the highest average attendance of every team in our division minus Carolina and their PSLs.

You're failing to address the big picture with the coliseum. The facilities are out dated and have not seen an upgrade since before I was born. The restrooms are a joke not to mention the concessions and the neighborhood where that place is located. Parking is a joke there as well. The Lakers sellout almost every game and it's because the staples center is a well built sports entertainment facility. If LA had a brand new stadium in a better location (like Carson or somewhere in orange county) they could sell out a stadium the size of the Georgia dome, especially of this team moved there. The main problem with the coliseum is the dam coliseum commission.

The Lakers sellout because they have a gazillion championships. The Clippers has no championships and they have no fans. It has little to do with the venue because in the Forum - the fans still showed up.

100000 seats isnt that big of a deal in a metro area of 10 million people. Heres the kicker though, in the land of TV, nobody saw enough TV revenue from the population to go and buy out the remaining tickets!!! They couldnt sell out a playoff game with the Frickin Steelers and the Raiders!!! Thats classic NFL football monstah size football.

Any team in the NFL would be foolish to locate in Los Angeles. Its a terrible football town when the teams are good and winning.

Heck even a local riot there in LA brings in this kind of turnout.....biggrin.png Hmmm

Edited by HASHBROWN3

At the press conference, Blank made a commitment to getting this team past the first round of the play-offs. Most fans aren't going to look at the changes at OC and DC and other coaching moves as fulfilling that commitment. The team needs to add a top-tier player, if for no other reason than to show the fans Blank wasn't just running off at the mouth.

With no impact players being added to the roster from free agency and our draft picks likely to be little-known, back-up quality players, the Falcons are going to need a strong start to the season or I think you'll see a steadily growing number of no-shows/empty seats at each home game. And if the team buries itself with a 2-4, 2-5 start, there could be wholesale desertion among the faithful, maybe even home game black-outs once again.

This would only be an issue because it's Atlanta. Look up fair-weather fan in the dictionary and you'll see the ATL. How do you not sell out a playoff baseball game?..I fly down for a Falcon game every year. It is the only pro stadium that I have ever been to where it gets so quiet at times you would think they were playing chess. I don't know what it is going to take to turn the cily around on the Falcons. I seriously doubt a Superbowl win would do it.. If I lived there I would be a season ticket holder for life!

This would only be an issue because it's Atlanta. Look up fair-weather fan in the dictionary and you'll see the ATL. How do you not sell out a playoff baseball game?..I fly down for a Falcon game every year. It is the only pro stadium that I have ever been to where it gets so quiet at times you would think they were playing chess. I don't know what it is going to take to turn the cily around on the Falcons. I seriously doubt a Superbowl win would do it.. If I lived there I would be a season ticket holder for life!

Atlanta is a relatively new sports city. We're still in our 2nd generation of sports fans. How many sports cities do you know that has been around about as long as we have, have as few championships and shows up like we do?

The venue isn't the deal, it's the fans. Los Angeles is a sad sports town anyway. There are tons of empty seats for Dodgers games, the Lakers fans are worse at getting into their seats than we are, the Clippers has no fans, and the USC Trojans football team has seen their attendance hit 2002 and 2003 lows. To me our passion for football needs not be compared to any group in California.

The Falcons belong here. Since the Georgia Dome, the Falcons have the highest average attendance of every team in our division minus Carolina and their PSLs.

The Clippers have no fans yet they have no problem out drawing the Hawks, even during thier doormat years. Matter of fact i dont think any of the Atlanta sports teams attendance compares favoribly to any LA team.

Edited by the_sheff

The city of Atlanta and the NFL has grown so much since I became a fan in the late 70's that it basically sells itself now. Obviously you can't have a terrible team, but the Falcons don't so that is not an issue to date. There are holes on this team that cause concern, but names like Ryan Julio Roddy, Spoon, Nolan, Abraham, Gonzalez, Douglas, and Turner don't make it that tough of a sell.

There appears to be a lot of up and comers on this team that fans are curious to see if Nolan can break out. The casual fans buy tickets based on the names and the knowledgable fan buys tickets based on the hopes of taking the next step. I buy based on the fact that I grew up in this city and am a diehard. Not a tough sell... Now if we go back to the Rankin Smith perennial loser years than I'm staying home, however I don't foresee that and one bad year wouldn't do it.

Nothing beats people that don't live here or go to games bitching about the crowd and how loud the stadium is. 10,000 empty seats? Give me a break. These threads are almost as good as the ones made after every home game complaining that they thought the Dome wasn't loud on TV.

Edited by KS19

The Clippers have no fans yet they have no problem out drawing the Hawks, even during thier doormat years. Matter of fact i dont think any of the Atlanta sports teams attendance compares favoribly to any LA team.

Please, since 2000 Atlanta has only won about 15 more games than the Clippers. The Dodgers have multiple championships, and only filled 64% of Dodger stadium up as the Braves finished around 60%. For the population, Los Angeles better out draw us or they really don't deserve any teams period. The deal is like I said, their passion for football is just not the same.

I heard the season was already sold out, so I'd hate that job.

+1, and g-dawg would like to see the proposed new stadium seating capacity at 40,000 and he'd still be complaining. By the way, if there is an issue with selling tx why is there a waiting list?

Please, since 2000 Atlanta has only won about 15 more games than the Clippers. The Dodgers have multiple championships, and only filled 64% of Dodger stadium up as the Braves finished around 60%. For the population, Los Angeles better out draw us or they really don't deserve any teams period. The deal is like I said, their passion for football is just not the same.

Again, you said the Clippers have no fans yet they still outdraw the Hawks. And thats with them having another clearly superior team playing in the same arena. They have 2 baseball teams and they both outdraw the Braves. Lets not try and crap on another city and their fans if our situation isnt any better.

Again, you said the Clippers have no fans yet they still outdraw the Hawks. And thats with them having another clearly superior team playing in the same arena. They have 2 baseball teams and they both outdraw the Braves. Lets not try and crap on another city and their fans if our situation isnt any better.

That's the point, that our situation isn't any better. The Falcons do not belong in L.A because Los Angeles is just as suspect of a sports city as Atlanta is.

I don't want to re-litigate Mario Williams from the standpoint of "should we or should we not" or Carl Nicks, Ben Grubbs, Paul Soliai, etc, etc.

As you Atlanta natives know, Atlanta is a college football town and there is not a big local fanbase for Falcons - due to so many transplants living in metro area.

Every year since 2008 there has been something that the Falcons ticket office has had to sell:

2008: Michael Turner/Matt Ryan

2009: Tony Gonzalez

2010: Sean Weatherspoon/Dunta Robinson

2011: Julio Jones/Ray Edwards

2012: What are you selling in Falcons ticket office? No 1st round pick. No high profile FA signing.....maybe we re-sign Abraham - that is not going to move the meter

Selling season tix this year - its going to be a tough sell.

I just keep thinking back to that press conference and how pizzed off Arthur Blank was.....something just does not compute. Surely his divorce proceedings is not affecting how the Falcons are operating I hope?

just seems bizarre to me.

How would you like to be a fan that has to deal with other fans like you?

Lots of good posts here, and here are a few comments from me just because i am bored.

Mr. Blank promised to do better in postseason, but nothing about adding splashy names. That is just what most of bored fans in the FA signing period want to see. We will hear these same comments come draft day With our draft, we all know it will be nothing splashy either. TD has taken us on the roller coaster a few times since arriving here, but obviously they feel the "core team" they already have is adequate enough. Personally, I agree with them. There was no need, in my mind, to start over again. Teams need consistency to win, not splashy FA signings and draft picks.

There will be no problem filling seats, unless as one poster pointed out we get off to a slow start. This is winning team with some very appealing players already on the roster to watch as it is.

Just forget Atlanta as any kind of pro sports town, especially Pro Football. Georgia is totally, 100% a college football state - period. The majority of people who live here have absolutely no interest whatsoever in pro football at all. Additionally, as pointed out previously, Atlanta itself is a city of transplants in a constant state of flux. Even after moving here 31 years ago, I am hard pressed to think of a single person I know who is a "native" Atlantan. Most people moved here from somewhere else. IF they follow NFL football at all, they still hold allegiance to that city's team. I can't tell you how many sports bars there are around my area that have other team's flags flying out in their parking lot, but no Falcon flag on display at all. Since Katrina, the number of cars I see daily sporting the Aints logos exceeds the ones I do with Falcon logos.. We have that cesspool of a city's detritus to put up with now (don't go flaming me - I am sorry Katrina hit NO and I feel terribly sorry for them but don't their lousy fans here even though I enjoy some good natured banter with a few of them in a parking lot occasionally when they see my Falcon logos).

Even the Braves (America's Team) couldn't fill out the stadium during some of their legendary playoff seasons. I still remember laughing my head off at the shock of the TV announcers during these games. Wonder why the Dome doesn't fill up in till well after the game starts? A VERY large part of people who see any pro sports events here are not fans at all. They are just people there to see some entertainment that happens to be available that weekend, much as you would go take in a movie. That is why you can look around you in the stands and see many people just sitting there on their butts with the most casual reaction to the game: they could care less about what is taking place on the field.

Edited by FalconFanForLife

Guest Fibonacci

4 winning seasons, apparently it was almost sold out already this year. they sold tickets in the past with not even back to back winning seasons. so this season has to be easier then all there past ones.

One thing I found in moving to Atlanta a few years ago is that Falcons crowds are generally late arriving crowds as a whole. I really think this has a lot to do with the culture in Atlanta and that the vast majority of folks are in church long into the morning. I just think its in the southern baptist tradition. Not saying church doesnt happen in other towns, but I just dont see the effect the way you do at Falcon games. I am always amazed how the Georgia Dome seems empty at the beginning of the game, but seems much fuller by mid 2nd quarter. I think if the Falcons petitioned the league to move their games to 4pm, the turnout would be much better. 4pm games and evening games seem to do pretty well as far as turnout.

As for the Braves in the playoffs, I have always been amazed at the amount of home playoff games that are scheduled as weekday afternoon games. Since playoff games are usually scheduled at the last minute, I think MLB and the networks find it convenient to make Brave home playoff games nooners so they can ensure that they get the Yankees and Red Sox in primetime. There is a traffic jam in the eastern time zone and the Phillies have started to feel the pinch the last few years as they have been pushed to afternoon weekday games and they are seeing a drop in playoff attendance as well.

As for the Hawks, you got me. The Hawks have a dynamic urban population with easy access to draw from and a nice fairly new building.

Along with the idea of Atlanta Falcons being in a "transplant" town, the impact of the NFL placing 2 teams within 400 miles of the area in 1995 certainly took a bite out of the native fanbase that was building. The northeast can withstand that type of compacted expansion just because their population base is so much greater,

I think some of the crticism the Falcons have endured has been a bit unfair. I'm as disappointed as anyone with the lack of playoff success the Falcons have demonstrated under Smith/Dimitroff even though every other aspect of their regime has been wildly successful.

Consider:

If you've gone to a Falcons game the past 4 years, there is a 78.8% chance they'll have won it. If you went to a UGA home game thae past 4 years, that percentage is 72%. And the Falcons don't get to play Central Michigan or Tennessee Tech.

Do I understand the frustration? Sure...of the other 15 NFC teams, 10 have been to the Super Bowl since we last went.

Just because you do things the right way, doesn't necessarily mean they'll always result in the preferred outcome. Are we so upset because we didn't win one playoff game last year? If we had beaten the Giants, but lost to the Packers...we'd feel more comfortable that we were on the right track?

There have been big changes to the team from 2011 to 2012. A lot of the coaching staff turned over means a new approach, a new tempo, a new atmosphere. In truth, I do think this franchise got a bit stale last year. And even when the Falcons appeared to be playing well, there was an edge that was missing. Has that been brought back just because of these moves? Won't really know until September, but I'm content to watch it play out and if we see a team that struggles to find their groove, we'll know the moves didn't pan out as expected. But I don't think you can say that the Falcons have sat on their hands this off-season. They may not have pink-slipped Mularkey/Van Gorder, but they had to replace them regardless. That's not insignificant.

As for Atlanta as a pro football town...I have been a vocal critic in the past about the fan base here. And in some cases it's still very much warranted. But I will say that the Falcons have become a much bigger player in the local sports scene the last 15 years. A good degree of that may have to do simply with the overall popularity of the NFL. But if you turn on local sports talk radio now, even during the off-season, there is a good chance they are talking about the Falcons. 10 years ago...not even close to the case.

In truth, because the Falcons fan base lay dormant for the good part of it's first 35 years...a citywide/regionally wide identification with the franchise never took root. I do believe that process has begun under Mr. Blank and kudos to him are deserved for that.

Will the Falcons ever have the fan base of Steeler Nation? Probably not...but winning championships changes alot and if the Falcons can put 1 or 2 in the bank in the next 10-15 years (a tall task), they will be seen differently, locally and nationally.