Why Do Falcons Fans Claim They Want To Be Like The Elite Teams In The League

I really want to know, All of you are ready to can Smitty and TD if we don't win a playoff game this year.

Is that how the elite teams in the league operate? If they don't win in 4 years scrap it and start over?

How long has the Steelers had their GM? 12 years.

How long has the Packers had their GM? 7 years

None of you calling for the heads of TD and Smitty really want the Falcons to be like the elite teams in the NFL. You're all too quick to pull the plug and start over even after the best 4 year stretch in franchise history. TD had a very large role in building those championship Pats teams yet you somehow think we can throw him away and get somebody better in here. Who do you guys suggest that want him gone? Parcels? That would have been great huh? He sure did work wonders for the Dolphins....

The grass isn't always greener.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really want to know, All of you are ready to can Smitty and TD if we don't win a playoff game this year.

Is that how the elite teams in the league operate? If they don't win in 4 years scrap it and start over?

None of you calling for the heads of TD and Smitty really want the Falcons to be like the elite teams in the NFL. You're all too quick to pull the plug and start over even after the best 4 year stretch in franchise history. TD had a very large role in building those championship Pats teams yet you somehow think we can throw him away and get somebody better in here. Who do you guys suggest that want him gone? Parcels? That would have been great huh? He sure did work wonders for the Dolphins....

Actually this is how elite teams do things. They: keep thier draft picks. Use thier draft picks well and wisely since they are experts at evaluating talent. Keep thier vets at critical positions and keep thier best players otherwise.

Elite teams know when a player is done, and/or when a players does not pan out. They have replacements ready or near ready as much as they can. Elite teams know when to sign free agents and when not to.

Elite teams also engage in lopsided trades in thier favor, simply because most teams only have three or four years to develop and GMs get desperate, desperate enough to make trades to improve NOW at the expense of the future.

How much of this applies to the Falcons and TD?

Actually this is how elite teams do things. They: keep thier draft picks. Use thier draft picks well and wisely since they are experts at evaluating talent. Keep thier vets at critical positions and keep thier best players otherwise.

Elite teams know when a player is done, and/or when a players does not pan out. They have replacements ready or near ready as much as they can. Elite teams know when to sign free agents and when not to.

Elite teams also engage in lopsided trades in thier favor, simply because most teams only have three or four years to develop and GMs get desperate, desperate enough to make trades to improve NOW at the expense of the future.

How much of this applies to the Falcons and TD?

Elite teams also make the playoffs every year. The Pats just won their first playoff game since 2007, but they were there every single year. The Pats let key pieces of their team go regularly. Also, how has the hoarding of draft picks panned out for them? They've spent a ton of picks on their defense and it's still terrible. Their only real hits were Mayo and maybe Mccourty.

Wanna see some bad drafts?

Pat Chung (servicable but not spectacular, starter though)

Ron Brace

Darius Butler

Sebastian Vollmer

Brandon Tate

Tyrone Mckenzie

plus 6 more late rounders. That's 13 picks in 1 draft. Only 4 of those players have started at any point in time on their team and that was brief outside of Chung.

2011 draft

One starter for them. Nate Solder

2010 draft was pretty good

Devin Mccoutry

Gronkowski

Hernandez

9 other picks that didn't net a starter

1st rounder was Jerod Mayo

The entire rest of the class has zero starts

First rounder was Meriweather. They have zero players from that class that are even on the team still

Since 2007 the Pats have had 49 picks. They've turned that into 6 starters that are still on the team and two of those are TEs

Mayo

Mccourty

Gronkowski

Hernandez

Solder

Chung

Elite teams also make the playoffs every year. The Pats just won their first playoff game since 2007, but they were there every single year. The Pats let key pieces of their team go regularly. Also, how has the hoarding of draft picks panned out for them? They've spent a ton of picks on their defense and it's still terrible. Their only real hits were Mayo and maybe Mccourty.

Wanna see some bad drafts?

Pat Chung (servicable but not spectacular, starter though)

Ron Brace

Darius Butler

Sebastian Vollmer

Brandon Tate

Tyrone Mckenzie

plus 6 more late rounders. That's 13 picks in 1 draft. Only 4 of those players have started at any point in time on their team and that was brief outside of Chung.

2011 draft

One starter for them. Nate Solder

2010 draft was pretty good

Devin Mccoutry

Gronkowski

Hernandez

9 other picks that didn't net a starter

1st rounder was Jerod Mayo

The entire rest of the class has zero starts

First rounder was Meriweather. They have zero players from that class that are even on the team still

Since 2007 the Pats have had 49 picks. They've turned that into 6 starters that are still on the team and two of those are TEs

Mayo

Mccourty

Gronkowski

Hernandez

Solder

Chung

There is a huge difference between teams drafting players who do NOT make the team because that team is already good...and teams drafting players who DO make the team because the team is that bad. The Patriots have Brady, Wilfork, Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, Mayo, McCourty all of whom are near the best in the league at thier positions. Throw in a solid O line, RBs and not great but good players on defense. As bad as the Patriots D was last season they won when they had to except of course the Super Bowl.

We should all hope TD can get us to that level one day.

To be an elite team you need a good QB and a great OL. If you have those things you will make playoffs every year. The rest of the pieces can be filled with average guys.

Someone needs to burn that into a baseball bat and beat TD over the head with it every day until he sees the light.

Guest Gritz

I don't really care about what other teams are doing historically or even now unless it directly relates to the Falcons.

In the NFL you're either getting worse or getting better. No team goes 8-8- every single year.

IMO we haven't had a quality win against a really strong, playoff caliber team since we beat the Ravens in November of 2010. Bring up Detroit this past year all you want. They were on the cusp of a dip....are still young and learning how to win, etc. Count that if you want to.

We have crapped the bed in consecutive years in the playoffs.....

I don't know. Unless Koetter and Nolan are miracle workers I'm just expecting more of the same: Decent record during the season....may or may not make the playoffs....1st round exit.

Guest TheIdowu

This is the bottom line. It is funny how fanscomplain, yet these same fans did NOT have us with four consecutive winning seasons and three playoff berths EXACTLY four years ago to the date.

You keep asking the complaining fans what changes are feasible in whatever areas they feel we need improvement; and, they provide no feedback. People want TD gone; who d you want to replace him? People wanted both cords gone; they are gone but at least give them time to call a play. People want Smith gone; who do you want to replace him?

Edited by TheIdowu

This is the bottom line. It is funny how fanscomplain, yet these same fans did NOT have us with four consecutive winning seasons and three playoff berths EXACTLY four years ago to the date.

You keep asking the complaining fans what changes are feasible in whatever areas they feel we need improvement; and, they provide no feedback. People want TD gone; who d you want to replace him? People wanted both cords gone; they are gone but at least give them time to call a play. People want Smith gone; who do you want to replace him?

I've tried to get an answer on who they'd replace TD with, but I haven't even heard one single suggestion. That is pretty telling in itself.

There is a huge difference between teams drafting players who do NOT make the team because that team is already good...and teams drafting players who DO make the team because the team is that bad. The Patriots have Brady, Wilfork, Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, Mayo, McCourty all of whom are near the best in the league at thier positions. Throw in a solid O line, RBs and not great but good players on defense. As bad as the Patriots D was last season they won when they had to except of course the Super Bowl.

We should all hope TD can get us to that level one day.

Yeah, our team is that bad. 4th most wins in the NFL over the past 4 seasons. We suck. rolleyes.gif

I like having Smitty and TD around. They now just need to find a way to take their prior success to the next level

Guest Gritz

Yeah, our team is that bad. 4th most wins in the NFL over the past 4 seasons. We suck. rolleyes.gif

If that's enough for ya then these must be Glory Days.

I want the Lombardi.

Elite teams know how to find big talent in late rounds. We don't. Despite this completely bizarre belief that Dimitroff is some kind of late-round wizard, he has never once found us a great player in late rounds, not one single time. He has never drafted an impact player in the secondary, and he has never drafted an impact player on the offensive line.

The ONLY time Thomas Dimitroff has ever 100% nailed a draft pick is when he picked #3 overall and #6 overall (Which required a ******** trade to get there). Sean Weatherspoon is probably another one, I'm willing to give him this one as well, but I'll have to see him play in Nolan's D before I commit fully.

Guest Gritz

Sraping the team and starting over doesn't get us any closer to that. In fact, it could take us much further away.

Yeah, I guess it's a good thing I 've never advocated that.

Guest TheIdowu

Sraping the team and starting over doesn't get us any closer to that. In fact, it could take us much further away.

This is the thing, too. There are too many fans calling for a complete overhaul of our team: I have heard it all. Trade/cut/upgrade Ryan, Turner, White, Robinson, fire TD, fire that young black dude that is always standing on our sideline looking cool. I can understand adjustments and improvements, but NOT these drastic changes I keep hearing. I personally believe we upgraded when we hired Nolan and Koetter.

Elite teams know how to find big talent in late rounds. We don't. Despite this completely bizarre belief that Dimitroff is some kind of late-round wizard, he has never once found us a great player in late rounds, not one single time. He has never drafted an impact player in the secondary, and he has never drafted an impact player on the offensive line.

The ONLY time Thomas Dimitroff has ever 100% nailed a draft pick is when he picked #3 overall and #6 overall (Which required a ******** trade to get there). Sean Weatherspoon is probably another one, I'm willing to give him this one as well, but I'll have to see him play in Nolan's D before I commit fully.

How about comparing him against other GM's to get a true representation of how he's been drafting instead of comparing him to your standards which are probably way off base?

six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Doing just enough to make the playoffs but not enough to win once you're there puts you in purgatory, which is the absolute worst position you can be in because you've got a roster of pretty good players who you have to keep re-signing every offseason to keep together and not a lot of cap room to sign a big time impact FA. At the same time, you're also drafting 25th or so every single year, and Dimitroff has never gotten that just insanely talented steal of the 1st round who is an All-Pro 2 years into his career.

So you're drafting late first round, and you've got enough cap room to re-sign your guys who you're currently getting blown out of the building during the playoffs with and maybe one other middle of the pack guy who everyone thinks is going to be a beast for us but will really just end up doing nothing.

It's worse than sucking in my opinion. At least when you suck you get Top 10 pick after Top 10 pick and it gets harder and harder to screw that up every year.