So Wait A Minute....

The Saints lost Nicks (which was huge), but they agreed to a 5 year deal with Grubbs. Didn't they have less money to spend than we did, and they're making deals to address a huge loss.

We STILL are doing NOTHING. So for all you that have the notion "TD knows what he's doing, be patient, blah blah blah" please explain how a team with less money at the beginning of FA is still making deals and the Falcons FO is just watching as our division rivals get better

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The Saints lost Nicks (which was huge), but they agreed to a 5 year deal with Grubbs. Didn't they have less money to spend than we did, and they're making deals to address a huge loss.

We STILL are doing NOTHING. So for all you that have the notion "TD knows what he's doing, be patient, blah blah blah" please explain how a team with less money at the beginning of FA is still making deals and the Falcons FO is just watching as our division rivals get better

Are they getting better? NO's looks like they're treading water, at best.

Clearly, there are reasons for what we're doing. We've shown in the past we aren't afraid of making splash moves in the offseason, and as you say, we seem to have more room than the Saints did under the cap. Therefore, there are compelling reasons we aren't doing this.

If Manuwai is fully recovered from his injury, he's as good or better than Grubbs, particularly as a run blocker, and likely for pennies on the dollar that Grubbs signed for.

this is the period of overpaying, I don't think we have the cap or desire (as a team) to pay top dollar for FAs ... A good piece at #55, and someone on the cheap is really all that's needed. After all, we were in the playoffs and only some bad playcalls away from a victory. The final score of the NYG game reflects missed oppertunities followed by panic.

1) NO's looks like they're treading water, at best.

2) Clearly, there are reasons for what we're doing.

3) If Manuwai is fully recovered from his injury, he's as good or better than Grubbs, particularly as a run blocker, and likely for pennies on the dollar that Grubbs signed for.

1) Treading water is a whole lot better than sinking like a stone--- which is what we're doing.

2) Well, I can think of one reason: clownshoe-wearing incompetence.

3) On his best day, Manuwai was a liability as a pass protector. He was never anywhere near as good a G as Grubbs.

this is the period of overpaying, I don't think we have the cap or desire (as a team) to pay top dollar for FAs ... A good piece at #55, and someone on the cheap is really all that's needed. After all, we were in the playoffs and only some bad playcalls away from a victory. The final score of the NYG game reflects missed oppertunities followed by panic.

NO is doing it and they have less than us and already just sign Colston and now Grubbs to nice size deals so what are you saying?

1) I don't think we have the cap or desire (as a team) to pay top dollar for FAs ...

2) After all, we were in the playoffs and only some bad playcalls away from a victory. The final score of the NYG game reflects missed oppertunities followed by panic.

1) Cap room can be found or made. This is no excuse.

2) How did that playoff game work out for us?

We got skunked. Aside from a fluke safety, we scored absolutely nothing/zip/zilch/nada with our Mini-Manning and the 5-Pick Man.

Why? Our O-line was a screen door on a submarine.

Five or six solid players are more valuable and less risky than one star player, especially over the course of an entire season. It seems Nolan shares that sentiment, at least from his early quotes as a Falcon.

If quality depth is the intent of the FO with regard to FA signings, I would expect it to happen slowly, after the big-splash names are signed.

1) Cap room can be found or made. This is no excuse.

2) How did that playoff game work out for us?

We got skunked. Aside from a fluke safety, we scored absolutely nothing/zip/zilch/nada with our Mini-Manning and the 5-Pick Man.

Why? Our O-line was a screen door on a submarine.

From where - restructures, maybe? Who will you cut? It's a 53 man roster, one 100mil DE is not going to make us super bowl contenders (instead it'll make us in worse cap trouble next year), you have to find pieces that compliment - I'd say the people in charge know something about football.

From where - restructures, maybe? Who will you cut? It's a 53 man roster, one 100mil DE is not going to make us super bowl contenders (instead it'll make us in worse cap trouble next year), you have to find pieces that compliment - I'd say the people in charge know something about football.

Cuts: Baker, Turner (possibly, not sure of cap numbers for him) and Ovie. Restructures: Ryan, White, and sign Grimes to a friendlier non-tag contract. Take advantage of the cap-swell in '14 by loading their guaranteed money to that point.

Also, perhaps you missed it, since I cleverly hid my previous response in the undecipherable code known as "Plain English", but I wanted either Nicks or Grubbs, not Williams.

Cuts: Baker, Turner (possibly, not sure of cap numbers for him) and Ovie. Restructures: Ryan, White, and sign Grimes to a friendlier non-tag contract. Take advantage of the cap-swell in '14 by loading their guaranteed money to that point.

Also, perhaps you missed it, since I cleverly hid my previous response in the undecipherable code known as "Plain English", but I wanted either Nicks or Grubbs, not Williams.

at least you've given it some thought ... now, where will our offensive production come from - as Turner was a large chunk of that. Baker, sure - I don't care for him either, but who plays LT since you're loading up on guards.

As for missing who you''d prefer, it was "undecipherable" as it was drowning amonsgt all the angst and whining. I think signing nicks or grubbs would have been nice and all, but investing money in a single guard and expecting that to change things, I'm not so sure that's "clever"

at least you've given it some thought ... now, where will our offensive production come from - as Turner was a large chunk of that. Baker, sure - I don't care for him either, but who plays LT since you're loading up on guards.

As for missing who you''d prefer, it was "undecipherable" as it was drowning amonsgt all the angst and whining. I think signing nicks or grubbs would have been nice and all, but investing money in a single guard and expecting that to change things, I'm not so sure that's "clever"

Green Bay (when Favre was still there), Kansas City (when Montana was still there), Pittsburgh (recently), our Falcons (after '10), and Seattle (when Hasselbeck was there) all thought top-notch G's were expendable. All of them suffered immediately when the interior lines were disrupted. Why? Pressure from the middle of the pocket leaves a passer nowhere to step-up to avoid pressure from outside. It closes passing lanes (visual lanes). It endangers the passer's plant leg while following through; passes either sail high due to lack of follow-through or risk getting Carson Palmered.

I actually have a reason backed by historical precedent for prioritizing the interior line just under the LT.

As for offensive production, Jaquizz and Snelling are serviceable. If we had a competent GM we could find a RB in mid-rounds of the draft. Michael Bush is not attracting huge FA offers, and I think he could be the next Turner.

Edited by Big Rob 64

I have to admit while I'm confused about what the FO is doing I'm going to wait it out until OTA's and mini camps begin before I say anything. I'm just confused on how NO can spend money that they don't have in cap space. If someone could help me to understand that would be appreciated.

I have to admit while I'm confused about what the FO is doing I'm going to wait it out until OTA's and mini camps begin before I say anything. I'm just confused on how NO can spend money that they don't have in cap space. If someone could help me to understand that would be appreciated.

The contracts are likely structured to balloon in '14, when cap room expands. Also, the contracts are not guaranteed. A lot of the money we're talking about today will never actually be paid.

1) Treading water is a whole lot better than sinking like a stone--- which is what we're doing.

2) Well, I can think of one reason: clownshoe-wearing incompetence.

3) On his best day, Manuwai was a liability as a pass protector. He was never anywhere near as good a G as Grubbs.

1) So far, we've drastically improved coaching(probably), and lost a passrusher, while upgrading at RG.

2) You would certainly be the authority on that. You come on here and post negative stuff all the time. Never seen a single positive thing for you. You're a troll, and not a particularly good one. Guys who are clownishly incompetent who are in charge of teams don't have records like we have over the last 4 years. You(not you, you're not smart enough, but a more general "you") could make a strong argument that we don't have GREAT FO/Leadership, but there's no basis for arguing that they're highly incompetent.

3) Lol, this is right there with the rest of the crap you post. On his best day, he was substantially better than Grubbs, who's more of a quality guy than a dominant road grader, which Manuwai was for nearly a decade. Grubbs was/is better in pass pro though, but at his best, Manuwai was a quality pass protector as well.

Go shill somewhere else, troll.

Green Bay (when Favre was still there), Kansas City (when Montana was still there), Pittsburgh (recently), our Falcons (after '10), and Seattle (when Hasselbeck was there) all thought top-notch G's were expendable. All of them suffered immediately when the interior lines were disrupted. Why? Pressure from the middle of the pocket leaves a passer nowhere to step-up to avoid pressure from outside. It closes passing lanes (visual lanes). It endangers the passer's plant leg while following through; passes either sail high due to lack of follow-through or risk getting Carson Palmered.

I actually have a reason backed by historical precedent for prioritizing the interior line just under the LT.

As for offensive production, Jaquizz and Snelling are serviceable. If we had a competent GM we could find a RB in mid-rounds of the draft. Michael Bush is not attracting huge FA offers, and I think he could be the next Turner.

I will have to say, intially I didn't care for your points. However, this is a much more sound argument IMO. As Ryan is very Brady-esque in terms of mobility, interior line is necessary - but I don't believe that is where he was sacked/pressured from last year. If memory serves, I believe most was from the left tackle area.

As far as Turner, I think he is a lot better than this board gives him credit for. It isn't as though he played early in his career, and we've rode him the past few years. I like L. James if he's available in the 3rd or later, him and snelling would make a good pairing - as both can catch. All in all, I see your points, but I just don't think it is the thought process of the coaches or FO.

1) Ryan is very Brady-esque in terms of mobility, interior line is necessary - but I don't believe that is where he was sacked/pressured from last year. If memory serves, I believe most was from the left tackle area.

2) As far as Turner, I think he is a lot better than this board gives him credit for. It isn't as though he played early in his career, and we've rode him the past few years. I like L. James if he's available in the 3rd or later, him and snelling would make a good pairing - as both can catch. All in all, I see your points, but I just don't think it is the thought process of the coaches or FO.

1) Failures from the LT position in pass protection were exacerbated by the collapse of the interior line leaving Ryan nowhere to step up to. This led to rainbow passes or running out of the pocket, which is certainly not Ryan's strength.

2) Age and a brutal workload lead inexorably to one inescapable direction: rapid decline. I would rather blow him out early, before he hits the wall, than wait a year too long to replace him.

1) Failures from the LT position in pass protection were exacerbated by the collapse of the interior line leaving Ryan nowhere to step up to. This led to rainbow passes or running out of the pocket, which is certainly not Ryan's strength.

2) Age and a brutal workload lead inexorably to one inescapable direction: rapid decline. I would rather blow him out early, before he hits the wall, than wait a year too long to replace him.

all fair ... I suppose we will see one way or the other. I think if there was good trade value for turner he would have been moved already.

all fair ... I suppose we will see one way or the other. I think if there was good trade value for turner he would have been moved already.

In general, RB's don't get much interest in trades, nor do they often get huge FA money. Clinton Portis for Champ Baily was widely considered a one-sided deal for Denver.