Bills Made An Offer To Mario -- 6 Yrs 91.5 Million -- $42 Guaranteed

The Bills' contract offer to free agent DE/OLB Mario Williams would make him the highest-paid defensive player in the league, a source tells the Buffalo News.
The offer eclipses the six-year, $91.5 million contract with $42 million guaranteed that Julius Peppers got from the Bears in 2010. If Williams walks away from the Bills, it won't be because of money. Thursday marks Williams' third day in Buffalo.

it says the offer is HIGHER than the 6 years, 91.5M, 42M guaranteed that Peppers got.

I would pass at that price. You get maybe a top10 pass rusher, for the price of the best defensive player ever. no thanks.

All the Mario fanatics just need to step back and think if you would be pleased with him giving you 12 sacks a season for 15M+ per season.

This place would be in an uproar every season he didnt have 15+ sacks.....which was every year of his career so far BTW.

it says the offer is HIGHER than the 6 years, 91.5M, 42M guaranteed that Peppers got.

I would pass at that price. You get maybe a top10 pass rusher, for the price of the best defensive player ever. no thanks.

All the Mario fanatics just need to step back and think if you would be pleased with him giving you 12 sacks a season for 15M+ per season.

This place would be in an uproar every season he didnt have 15+ sacks.....which was every year of his career so far BTW.

He's worth the money. We just don't have it.

Well, there are quite a few teams waiting on Peyton Manning to make his decision also.

the difference is, 12 teams contacted Manning the day he became available. Manning has visited 4 of them. He is in high demand. HE narrowed the field to 4 teams.

Mario visited just Buffalo...now he is sitting there hoping for another team to call. Nobody but Buffalo is willing to pay him that money if you ask me. There is no reason to be there 3 days without signing if you want to play there. IMO, he is stalling while his agent tries to find more suitors...they just arent there at that price. I would be willing to bet BUF offered at least 20% more than other eams would be willing to give. If Atlanta (or another team in a good location) matched the offer, he would sign the day he arrived likely.

The guy has a career high of 14 sacks,5 years ago. Has been injured 2 straight years. I think that paired with the deal he wants is why Mario is sitting in a hotel in Buffalo right now waiting.

the difference is, 12 teams contacted Manning the day he became available. Manning has visited 4 of them. He is in high demand. HE narrowed the field to 4 teams.

Mario visited just Buffalo...now he is sitting there hoping for another team to call. Nobody but Buffalo is willing to pay him that money if you ask me. There is no reason to be there 3 days without signing if you want to play there. IMO, he is stalling while his agent tries to find more suitors...they just arent there at that price. I would be willing to bet BUF offered at least 20% more than other eams would be willing to give.

The guy has a career high of 14 sacks,5 years ago. Has been injured 2 straight years. I think that paired with the deal he wants is why Mario is sitting in a hotel in Buffalo right now waiting.

I'm sure he's had tons of teams calling him. The Buffalo thing is a stunt if you ask me to drive up his price tag. I think it's realistic, but he's obviously courting himself and playing hard to get.

Also, the guy has been more productive than most of the dominant DE's at this point in his career. He's still young, he's huge, he's a 3 down player, and he's one of the most athletic defensive linemen in the game. He's just starting to hit his prime and the sky is the limit for him. He's not getting hyped for no reason. Go compare him to Julius Peppers and Jared Allen's first few years.

These numbers surely were leaked by Mario's agent.

I theorize that Mario really does not want to go to Buffalo but during phone calls, Buffalo was the only one that seemed to go as high as Mario and his agent wanted to go.

The theory continues that Mario would "scare" the other interested teams by going on trip to Buffalo and staying there - meanwhile, Tennessee has bowed out and put on hold because of Manning sweepstakes - Chicago and Houston probably won't meet Buffalo's price.....

Mario probably sucks it up today and signs with Buffalo - living richly in a Cold Yankee town on a team that the NFL forgot.

i just did look, because i have never compared before.

here is the unbiased look at the first 5 years of Peppers and Allen compared to Mario as you mentioned. I did not think Peppers was worth it at the time either FYI. (either did TD since he said he called, but said 'no thanks' after hearing he price)

Allen : 57.5 sacks,16 FF, 1 INT

Peppers: 53.5 sacks, 17 FF, 3 INT

Williams: 48.5 sacks, 10 FF, 0 INT

Regarding the comment on teams calling Mario....I am sure plenty of teams called. But then when they heard he wanted Peppers money they didint call back. Manning in comparison has 4 teams willing to pay whatever he wants....and others that were also likely willing, but he was not interested in.

These numbers surely were leaked by Mario's agent.

I theorize that Mario really does not want to go to Buffalo but during phone calls, Buffalo was the only one that seemed to go as high as Mario and his agent wanted to go.

The theory continues that Mario would "scare" the other interested teams by going on trip to Buffalo and staying there - meanwhile, Tennessee has bowed out and put on hold because of Manning sweepstakes - Chicago and Houston probably won't meet Buffalo's price.....

Mario probably sucks it up today and signs with Buffalo - living richly in a Cold Yankee town on a team that the NFL forgot.

That all sounds about reasonable.

If he leaves today with no contract he is going to probably settle for 20% less then that contract.

laugh.png

That's harsh, man.

He will never come close to sniffing a superbowl in Buffalo either. Maybe not even a division crown. Nothing.

Just a waste of talent and money on a team that needs at least 20 other pieces in order to see any success.

Real talk.

I don't think Mario's going to sign in Buffalo. I think he probably understands that there isn't a whole lot he can buy with 91 million dollars that he can't buy with 70 million dollars.

And there is absolutely no reason to want to play in Buffalo other than money.