If Mike Smith Thinks Sam Baker/will Svitek Are Good Enough At Left Tackle, Then This Team Is In Trouble...

g-dawg

I'm sorry, but when 100% of your fans know that Baker is Hot Garbage and Svitek is just OK, then that is an epic fail.

Falcons are not beefing up the defense and the offense is supposed to hum along and carry this team. We saw in 2011 that the offense in fact could not carry the team due to the lack of pass protection for Matt Ryan - Matt has no time in the pocket and on about 1/3 of his dropbacks there is no pocket.

There is obviously still time to get a decent upgrade at Left Tackle and I'm hoping the move is made. If not, then we are living in BIZZARO world because the need is obvious.

I said this in another thread yesterday:

You can't cut Baker right now because you don't have his replacement. Remember when we still had Houston on the roster or Jenkins? Houston wasn't moved until we finalized the deal with DRob. Jenkins wasn't moved until we finalized the deal with Julio. Cut Baker now and miss on all the LTs available and now you have to draft a LT earlier than you'd like. Wait until you actually sign a guy for your LT spot and then you can cut Baker.

Guest Gritz

At the end of the day I look at it this way: If the Falcon front office and Smitty has deluded themselves (and Blank) enough to think that we're fine with our LT situation and that the pass rush is going to be fine also.....then they'll have to live with and explain the consequences.

That's why I don't panic or freak out when moves aren't made or the Falcons stand pat. It's not my job or butt on the line.

If they're NFL personnel evaluators and can't see or refuse to seriously address the glaring problems then nothing else can be done by anyone else.

It's still early.....but past history with TD doesn't assure me that something will be done concerning these 2 areas. It wasn't too long ago that we went into a season with glaring problems at CB. It took a last second acquisition of Brian Williams from JAX to settle the spot down.

The knight on the white horse doesn't always ride up in time.

I said this in another thread yesterday:

You can't cut Baker right now because you don't have his replacement. Remember when we still had Houston on the roster or Jenkins? Houston wasn't moved until we finalized the deal with DRob. Jenkins wasn't moved until we finalized the deal with Julio. Cut Baker now and miss on all the LTs available and now you have to draft a LT earlier than you'd like. Wait until you actually sign a guy for your LT spot and then you can cut Baker.

I agree with that Vel.......right now, I just am starting to doubt that the Falcons are even interested in a new starter at LT. Hope they are.

If I was Falcons, I would have Marcus McNeill in today to let Falcon docs look at him.

At the end of the day I look at it this way: If the Falcon front office and Smitty has deluded themselves (and Blank) enough to think that we're fine with our LT situation and that the pass rush is going to be fine also.....then they'll have to live with and explain the consequences.

That's why I don't panic or freak out when moves aren't made or the Falcons stand pat. It's not my job or butt on the line.

If they're NFL personnel evaluators and can't see or refuse to seriously address the glaring problems then nothing else can be done by anyone else.

It's still early.....but past history with TD doesn't assure me that something will be done concerning these 2 areas. It wasn't too long ago that we went into a season with glaring problems at CB. It took a last second acquisition of Brian Williams from JAX to settle the spot down.

The knight on the white horse doesn't always ride up in time.

While you are right that "its not our butts on the line", it is OUR team - if they suck, then we as fans suffer. Oh well, it is 100% out of our hands.

I agree with that Vel.......right now, I just am starting to doubt that the Falcons are even interested. Hope they are.

If I was Falcons, I would have Marcus McNeill in today to let Falcon docs look at him.

Why rush? No LTs have been looked at yet that we know of. We waited how long to sign Edwards when everybody knew we needed a DE and Edwards was the only one there? How long before we signed Hayden? Come on g dawg, it's Day 3. Let the dust start to settle a little longer before the doubt kicks in. Each day that passes, the existing FAs prices drop further and that gives opportunity to squeezing more out of those pennies we have.

Yes we all said we could cut Baker and Ovie to add cap room, but what if you can get the same players without having to cut Ovie, just Baker? Now you have one of the better FBs still on your roster and the player you wanted at a cheaper price instead of hacking away at your existing team to go get a new player.

Why is this big news now-- this was released about a month ago and there was only 1 thread at the time..

Now there are multiple threads as if this just came out.

quit trying to be the messageboard police - most of the time - my messageboard threads are known just by the title. If you don't like it delaigle - don't click on it.

Here's a tip: Click on the threads that interest you, avoid the ones you don't - and quit complaining!

Guest Gritz

While you are right that "its not our butts on the line", it is OUR team - if they suck, then we as fans suffer. Oh well, it is 100% out of our hands.

Oh, don't get me wrong dawg.....It sucks like a Vegas hooker late with her rent.....but I'm starting to get that old feeling of familiarity when being disappointed by the Falcons.

Why rush? No LTs have been looked at yet that we know of. We waited how long to sign Edwards when everybody knew we needed a DE and Edwards was the only one there? How long before we signed Hayden? Come on g dawg, it's Day 3. Let the dust start to settle a little longer before the doubt kicks in. Each day that passes, the existing FAs prices drop further and that gives opportunity to squeezing more out of those pennies we have.

Yes we all said we could cut Baker and Ovie to add cap room, but what if you can get the same players without having to cut Ovie, just Baker? Now you have one of the better FBs still on your roster and the player you wanted at a cheaper price instead of hacking away at your existing team to go get a new player.

well, I think the first two days are the "big ticket items" and most of them are almost gone. At this point, most every free agent that has not gotten a contract offer or two - or isn't signed yet - they and their agents should start understanding the market.

If Dimitroff is waiting for prices to come down - then that is fine - at this point, I think the prices would start falling.....Don't 'cha think?

Guest Gritz

We are actually living in "Don't have the resources to upgrade" World. Our much needed LT and DE are lining up at WR for us: the picks that should have been used to upgrade those areas were traded for Julio Jones.

Good point....

I think TD rolled the dice that our young, drafted o-linemen would play better than they have (Hawley, Reynolds, definitely Baker) or not get injured (Johnson, Baker) and that Babs, Jerry, Biermann and Edwards might give Abe a little more help with the D-line than they have.

Hasn't really worked....at least that part of it.....and you're right, those extra picks to get JJ would have helped....but I still like the move to get Julio, I'm not questioning that.

If I hear one more excuse that Falcons have not done anything because they have no money under the cap, I will self-combust..........simply not true.

We lack money under the cap: the creativity to properly operate in that scenario: and we have a GM who is too self-congratulatory and too egotistical to realize we are in the position of needing to fill holes in the first place because of his horrible drafts and idiotic signings.

Good point....

I think TD rolled the dice that our young, drafted o-linemen would play better than they have (Hawley, Reynolds, definitely Baker) or not get injured (Johnson, Baker) and that Babs, Jerry, Biermann and Edwards might give Abe a little more help with the D-line than they have.

Hasn't really worked....at least that part of it.....and you're right, those extra picks to get JJ would have helped....but I still like the move to get Julio, I'm not questioning that.

He drafted them: its his fault they didn't work out. Jerry was constantly injured in college--- and there went a first-rounder.

As for Julio, I love Julio the player, but the move made to get him will kill our hopes and dreams for years to come.

well, I think the first two days are the "big ticket items" and most of them are almost gone. At this point, most every free agent that has not gotten a contract offer or two - or isn't signed yet - they and their agents should start understanding the market.

If Dimitroff is waiting for prices to come down - then that is fine - at this point, I think the prices would start falling.....Don't 'cha think?

Yes, but it's just Day 3. A couple of hours into Day 3. Who has been signed this morning? Nobody.

Yea, we missed out on Soliai but I bet that is on Nolan. The guy coached him and if he wanted him in Atlanta, he would have been in Atlanta. It's obvious he likes Langford more. The hard part is seeing these corners getting $10M/year contracts.

svitek > baker.

baker is just not even worth putting on the field at this point imo. I think a toddler could hold up the line for longer than him

Baker said he's ordered glasses to help him identify opposing team colors but still wants to know if he can find any arm extensions on craigslist.

quit trying to be the messageboard police - most of the time - my messageboard threads are known just by the title. If you don't like it delaigle - don't click on it.

Here's a tip: Click on the threads that interest you, avoid the ones you don't - and quit complaining!

Mr. g-dawg

Please accept my humble apology if my directness/bluntness has offended you in any way. I assure you it was not my intention to do so. I will attempt to rephrase my question in more politically correct language.

Why has there been a sudden resurgence of interest in this topic? When initially released this information drew little interest. Have there been more recent media discussions or news releases that I have not been privy to that would account for this resurgence?

Thank you for your attention

DeLaigle

I'm sorry, but when 100% of your fans know that Baker is Hot Garbage and Svitek is just OK, then that is an epic fail.

Falcons are not beefing up the defense and the offense is supposed to hum along and carry this team. We saw in 2011 that the offense in fact could not carry the team due to the lack of pass protection for Matt Ryan - Matt has no time in the pocket and on about 1/3 of his dropbacks there is no pocket.

There is obviously still time to get a decent upgrade at Left Tackle and I'm hoping the move is made. If not, then we are living in BIZZARO world because the need is obvious.

Smith is beloved by his players because he never criticizes them in public, his statement about Baker should be looked at in that light.

Think it's much more likely that Smith was trying to not trash Baker just in case he ends up on the roster rather than Smith actually wants to go into next year with Svitek & Baker as his LT options.

And, it's been less than 72 hours since FA started. McNeil has only been a FA less than 48 hours. Season is 6 months away, hardly time to worry yet.

Smith is beloved by his players because he never criticizes them in public, his statement about Baker should be looked at in that light.

Think it's much more likely that Smith was trying to not trash Baker just in case he ends up on the roster rather than Smith actually wants to go into next year with Svitek & Baker as his LT options.

And, it's been less than 72 hours since FA started. McNeil has only been a FA less than 48 hours. Season is 6 months away, hardly time to worry yet.

that is why i started the thread with the word IF

If baker is healthy and motivated then I will hope for the best. They guy has the size and the talent. We just need to see if his body will hold up. We are picking up players left and right that have missed whole seasons due to injury. I guess we don't have much choice but to hope for the best.

The truth is, he doesn't.

I think he and Dimitroff have subtly implied that.

But with the limited cap space, no real free agent LT out there as a long term or viable solution and no first round draft pick, what else can they do?

I say, let them compete and hopefully, hopefully Baker can stay "healthy" this year.