Vince Manuwai Offensive Guard - Q&a

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2012/03/12/atlanta-falcons-qa-with-vince-manuwai/

Q: What did they tell you about improving their rushing attack?

A: Yes, like I said. After missing a year of football. I just wanted to pick a really good situation as an offensive linemen. We’ve got a great quarterback who can pass the ball and we’ve got a running game. That covers both things. We can run and we can pass. That’s something you’ve got to love. They’ve gone to the playoffs two years in a row. I feel like it’s a great fit. I hope to make sure we are doing the same things.

Taking a wait and see approach here, but I am just not loving the constant sign a OG threads. Not happening. The Grubbs and Nicks pipe dream went the same way as my Mario Williams pipe dream. Out the door.

I have downgraded my wishes as well but I would like us to at least get a little better than last year. My natural mind goes to defense but there is a glaring hole at LT.

I think Tatupu will work out. He has great instincts, and he was good in coverage. If he can pass a physical, I think he'll be fine. I worry about Manuwai. I'm tired of compromising pass protection with run oriented OLinemen, and his reputation was as being a better against the run. We need to look at elite pass protectors.

If he proves me wrong, I'll be thrilled.

My only concern was hearing Del Rio didn't bring him back because he was out of football shape... hope they can fix that issue.

My only concern was hearing Del Rio didn't bring him back because he was out of football shape... hope they can fix that issue.

Heard the same, but I'm not sure.

Taking a wait and see approach here, but I am just not loving the constant sign a OG threads. Not happening. The Grubbs and Nicks pipe dream went the same way as my Mario Williams pipe dream. Out the door.

the only OL spot i consider a priority is LT. i still have faith in Johnson stepping up - i was very high on him that draft. but i hear you about the pipe dreams. i never felt so much FA hope as i have this year. i suppose my comment reflects switching gears back to faith in the FO. however if Reeves or the Smiths were running things i might be slitting my wrists about now.

Both of them were actually quite good before getting hurt.

Need some rose-colored Windex for those rose-colored glasses?

Manuwai is putrid in pass protection. Bad technique, bad footwork, gets lost and blocks the wrong man.

Tatupu was pretty good for 2-3 years, but has been injured almost all the time for several years. Both knees have been rebuilt among other injuries.

Need some rose-colored Windex for those rose-colored glasses?

Manuwai is putrid in pass protection. Bad technique, bad footwork, gets lost and blocks the wrong man.

Tatupu was pretty good for 2-3 years, but has been injured almost all the time for several years. Both knees have been rebuilt among other injuries.

Manuwai isn't the best in pass protection, but he was a lot better than what we currently have and if he can return to his old form then he will be very good. He's a good guard.

Tatupu has been injured a lot, but you specifically said neither were impressive before their injuries. Tatupu was among the best MLB's in the league before injuries started plaguing him. I don't expect him to return to that form, but I don't think he's going to be horrible either. There weren't really many options for a starting caliber MLB in FA this year. Honestly, I think he was the best for his price/potential.

I don't like signing injured players, but you're making it out like these guys are horrible. They're both quality guys if they're healthy and their injury history drove their price tag down.

Manuwai isn't the best in pass protection, but he was a lot better than what we currently have and if he can return to his old form then he will be very good. He's a good guard.

Tatupu has been injured a lot, but you specifically said neither were impressive before their injuries. Tatupu was among the best MLB's in the league before injuries started plaguing him. I don't expect him to return to that form, but I don't think he's going to be horrible either. There weren't really many options for a starting caliber MLB in FA this year. Honestly, I think he was the best for his price/potential.

I don't like signing injured players, but you're making it out like these guys are horrible. They're both quality guys if they're healthy and their injury history drove their price tag down.

Tatupu played in 2010, in between injuries, and was a shall of what he was. That was before missing 2011 due to even more injuries.

Manuwai might be better than what we have, but then again, I might be better than what we have. Even if Manuwai is better, what does it matter if he is still not adequate, but by a marginally smaller margin? On his best day he was pretty horrible at pass protection in the NFL. Which is odd--- I read up on him to see if I was being overly critical (I wasn't), and read that he was considered a top pass-blocker at UoHawaii, and didn't give up a sack in 35 games in college.

lol.. I think everyone (unless they were/are a jax fan) needs to admit they know sweet FA about Manuwai... If he was a starter on a line that blew open holes for MJD, i'm alright with it. Tiny contract, and if he has woken up and got in shape, well that is just great.

as for Lofa? "not bad, ok etc" is just a joke. He was a beast before the injuries, period. He trailed off after he got hurt, so why not role the dice on him if he is healthy. From what was reported he blew the doors off his workout.

Step away from the ledge....

With Manuwai and Blalock we have 2 330 lb guards and if we can get another upgrade we "might" have a pocket for the QB.

That's what I was saying when we signed him. He may not be a great pass blocking RG, but he is very big and putting him between Clabo and help from Hawley should be fine. It's hard to bullrush or swim/spin around 330 pounds. Blalock doesn't need much help so Hawley could help Manuwai more if need be. If we get a LT who can block, then I am fine with the OL. He's not Nicks, but he's better than Reynolds/Hawley. Maybe this lights a fire under Johnson and he becomes what we drafted him to be. We'll have 2 true RGs fighting during this offseason.

Plus, the guy started at LG (the pass blocking OG of the two) and you didn't see the Jags QBs running for there lives until this year, the year he wasn't playing. If he was truly bad at pass protection, he wouldn't have lasted for 8 years.

Edited by vel

why are u so surprised about it?? You should kno its more important to sign your own before bringing in new players...

People who say well he is just a good run blocker and not a pass blocker............

Think what "just a good run blocker" would have done on 3 4th and short plays.

Better push vs the saints and we win that game. ( that would have been a back breaker IMO)

Better push vs the giants and who knows what happens.

I just checked his PFF grades, he only really had substantial playing times in 2009 and 2010 over the last 4 years. He was stricken by injury in 2008.

He had a combined -5.6 grade pass blocking over them two years but on the other hand, had a +9.4 grade in run blocking. Playing RG is meant to be easier to pass protect, compared to playing LG like he has been. Our RGs this season combined for a -3.8 pass blocking grade and a -18.9 in run blocking so I guess he's an upgrade.