Tim Ryan Says Falcons Trying To Retain Abe

Shadyman

honestly we would be better off to let Abe(34) go. I would rather let him go 1 year to early than 2 years too late. And if we give Abe a 2 year deal, I think Falcons will regret it.......

Father time wins every match.......he's undefeated.

Even with an aging Abe, he still better than Bierman and Sidbury

Guest Fibonacci

At the right price, fine. Otherwise, get younger and stronger...the Patriots way...and move them out a year before--not during, or after--a decline in performance!

^^^^this

Guest Fibonacci

Even with an aging Abe, he still better than Bierman and Sidbury

really???? so when he goes down at the end of the season with knee and groin injuries he is still better??? makes a ton of sense.

Im still willing to draft a DE...

So over the past 4 years we've drafted Kroy Biermann, Lawrence Sidbury and Cliff Mathews and just signed Ray Edwards to a huge contract last off-season and you want just to draft yet another DE? Why not let the guys we already got show what they can do? That's the problem I see with a lot of the people that are bitching and moaning on this MB. They refuse to trust the young guys. What about Chris Owens, Franks and Walls? But we need another CB?

So over the past 4 years we've drafted Kroy Biermann, Lawrence Sidbury and Cliff Mathews and just signed Ray Edwards to a huge contract last off-season and you want just to draft yet another DE? Why not let the guys we already got show what they can do? That's the problem I see with a lot of the people that are bitching and moaning on this MB. They refuse to trust the young guys. What about Chris Owens, Franks and Walls? But we need another CB?

I agree. Let the young guys play. Someone is bound to be a star on this team.

Guest Gritz

A huge part of Falcon fan frustration comes from the FACT that we don't know what we have in a lot of these young guys. As full-time starters how good are Sidbury, Matthews, Biermann, Meier, Franks, Dent, Walls, Jackson, Johnson, Rodgers?

Crap, I know we rotate the **** out of our players but I'm not really sure what or who we have with the above guys.

A huge part of Falcon fan frustration comes from the FACT that we don't know what we have in a lot of these young guys. As full-time starters how good are Sidbury, Matthews, Biermann, Meier, Franks, Dent, Walls,l Jackson, Johnson, Rodgers?

Crap, I know we rotate the **** out of our players but I'm not really sure what or who we have with the above guys.

Yes. But why draft guys if you never let them play? That's why the Packers have the team they have today. Their roster is full of homegrown players. They hardly ever go out and sign a big name guy. The last big name guy the Packers signed as a free agent? Charles Woodson? And that was what 7 years ago?

I wouldn't pay Abe more than 2.5Mil a season. Anything higher and I'd rather draft a replacement in the 2nd. When are we getting a OT? A lot of them are now off the market. Why isn't Sam Baker cut yet? We're not going to keep Baker are we?

IT WILL COST THE FALCONS MORE TO CUT BAKER THAN IT WOULD TO KEEP BAKER! THE SAME GOES FOR PERIA JERRY! THAT IS WHY NEITHER HAS BEEN CUT THE CHANCES OF THEM GETTING CUT ARE VERY LOW! HOW MANY TIMES MUST THIS BE SAID? PEOPLE NEED TO GET A CLUE! MAYBE IF I USE ALL CAPS PEOPLE WILL GET THE POINT!

Why do people keep saying the Falcons need to draft a DE? We have Kroy Biermann, Lawrence Sidbury, Cliff Mathews, Ray Edwards and if we sign a DE that gives us 5. Why do we need to draft one?

If you're really sold on those guys, then great. I'm really not. I think they need a shot and some tutelage but those are boom or bust type guys.

IT WILL COST THE FALCONS MORE TO CUT BAKER THAN IT WOULD TO KEEP BAKER! THE SAME GOES FOR PERIA JERRY! THAT IS WHY NEITHER HAS BEEN CUT THE CHANCES OF THEM GETTING CUT ARE VERY LOW! HOW MANY TIMES MUST THIS BE SAID? PEOPLE NEED TO GET A CLUE! MAYBE IF I USE ALL CAPS PEOPLE WILL GET THE POINT!

I will use lower case letters to say you are wrong about baker. cutting him will be a net savings of almost 2m in cap space. So chill out.

You cant cut him without having a replacement though.

Agreed, we do NOT need to draft a DE. We are having problems developing our young guys as it is (Last year, both starters were guys we didn't draft) and we saw a decline in our drafted DE's. I say either give the guys we have on our roster a chance now, or bring in somone you KNOW will make an impact (Mario Williams for example).

I'd rather us draft a DT. Atleast TD is 1/2 on those (Jerry - Bust, Peters - Boom).

I think TD needs to scrap this Leadership style when drafting lineman, and get some nastier folks who like to fkin hit somebody. Doesn't mean they ahve to be a **** ex con, but come on man.

Well you never know till you give them the chance. What's the point of drafting guys if you never let them play?

I agree that they need a chance, if they're ready that is. but we knew that ALL of the guys we've drafted at the position have been extremely raw AND undersized to an extent. Sid, and Biermann have great raw attributes but little in the way of nfl skill level, thus far. Those guys are the definition of project players. And I'm not sure where all this hope in Matthews comes from when he basically played ZERO last year. I'm not saying he can't develop into a good player but geez. He hasn't shown the fan base anything except a name on a draft sheet.

Some guys are looking at Biermann and Sid like they're the second coming of Abe and Kerney and there is no reason to believe that right now. They are developmental players still.