Is Anybody Else Tired Of This Pressure Equal Sacks Because They Don't!

THE ICEMAN

You here Mike Smith and TD say alot that sacks don't mean everything and like Kroy Beariman is a prefect example that even though he wasn't productive in the number of sacks he got he did apply pressure.

Well that great to a point but for lets say that its 1st and 10 Kroy has Brees in his cross hairs for a sack and 5 yard lost instead Brees just throws it away a lives with a 2nd and 10 instead of a 2nd and 15, that makes a lot of difference in the kind of plays,personal,Formation and so on, I think that they must have forgotten that game against the Packers as even though the Packers lit us up and when on to win the superbowl we had Rodgers a bunch of times for sacks and didn't finish him off most of those play ended up being back breaker's but yet the guys still applyed perssure that what counts right because thats the way that MS and TD make it sound.

The way I see it is that you want your DE's/OLB(3-4) to get sacks not perssure's and your DT's to get perssure's as the DT's would be pushing the pocket back and there for you get sacks much easier.

Its like the old saying goes close only counts in horse shoes.

Lets get some guys in here that can finish and rack up the sacks.

the Bears & Steelers are considered pretty good defenses, Steelers being one of the toughest in the league to face and we had just as many sacks as they did. we were among league leaders in INTs & FFs, so getting good pressure can lead to turnovers

We're not the Bears or Steelers. I can run down their defensive rosters and show how they are better if you like.

The only defense i can think of for that mentality is: if youre getting consistent pressure, you should have decent enough sack numbers. Of course, to deal in absolutes pertaining to football is narrow minded. Theres so many variables that go into even one play. Unless you watch tape on these players, just going by a stat sheet isnt going to tell you the whole deal. theres a story behind every stat.

Edited by Chi City Falcon

I get where you're coming from, but keep in mind that the better QBs in the NFL can still complete passes despite heavy pressure. However, they cannot if they are being sacked. Our problem hasn't been against the mediocre QBs who struggle under pressure, it's against the better QBs that you have to put on their backs to have a chance to beat.

We're not the Bears or Steelers. I can run down their defensive rosters and show how they are better if you like.

no we're not. the point is even with us having a so-called soft vanilla defense, the guys still got pretty good results. if we can do descent with a soft defense, then bringing in a guy with the skill of Nolan would do wonders for us but if we were to somehow land a guy like Soliai, he'd make this a top 10 defense easily

i find it laughable that anybody even suggested we pressured the QB last year at all. Not only did we not sack the QB, we rarely pressured the QB either.........the only thing the Falcons front 4 pressured last year was air.

You gotta love their revisionist history. I remember our pitiful 2011 season like it was yesterday. Some of those games made me ill, seriously!

no we're not. the point is even with us having a so-called soft vanilla defense, the guys still got pretty good results. if we can do descent with a soft defense, then bringing in a guy with the skill of Nolan would do wonders for us but if we were to somehow land a guy like Soliai, he'd make this a top 10 defense easily

Not going to get Soliali man. Like I said, these guys will be wanting Nolan hacked if we don't get something done soon though. Nolan is going to have a LONG season with this group of misfits.

I get where you're coming from, but keep in mind that the better QBs in the NFL can still complete passes despite heavy pressure. However, they cannot if they are being sacked. Our problem hasn't been against the mediocre QBs who struggle under pressure, it's against the better QBs that you have to put on their backs to have a chance to beat.

The better QB's got to be better because of their strong OL. Our DL didn't penetrate the good OL's like they should have. Hope we learn to do better.

Nobody has ever said pressure equals sack. They have always said, and correctly I would say, that sacks are not the only stat that matters.

As for your example, let's say that it's 1st and 10 and Brees is under pressure and throws an off pass that is intercepted. So with pressure it's a turnover while with sack would have been 2nd and 15. Does that mean pressure is better than sack? No, but both are important.

i think the point is that sacks isn't the ONLY thing to getting pressure. Forcing QB to not be comfortable is what its all about, its just that sacks are the best way to do that. but as another poster suggested, pressure it self can force a QB to make bad decisions or throws

Nobody has ever said pressure equals sack. They have always said, and correctly I would say, that sacks are not the only stat that matters.

As for your example, let's say that it's 1st and 10 and Brees is under pressure and throws an off pass that is intercepted. So with pressure it's a turnover while with sack would have been 2nd and 15. Does that mean pressure is better than sack? No, but both are important.

Actually Mike Smith was quoted as saying that pressures are just as importnat as sacks. Doesn't that mean equals? Just as...equals

just sayin

pressure= not a real stat.

If pressures = sacks then dropped passes = 1st downs

and stats don't tell the whole story

a big hit is just recorded as a tackle, but if you lay someone out they are going to be hesitant next time they come across the middle on you.

look at the superbowl, we only had 2 sacks on Brady but we had pressure on him which affected his game

The better Qbs can perform under pressure but sacks always end the play negatively.

eh thats not true... thats the reason why pass rushers get paid so much. Very few can handle pressure well. Infact, thats the key to beating the great QBs - getting hits on them and forcing them out of their comfort zone

Actually Mike Smith was quoted as saying that pressures are just as importnat as sacks. Doesn't that mean equals? Just as...equals

just sayin

Right, but that really doesn't mean they are equal just that they are equally important but in different ways.

If you ask and defensive coordinator if they prefer having pressure on every snap vs not having pressure except 10 snaps resulting in sacks I'm sure every DC will pick consistent pressure.

eh thats not true... thats the reason why pass rushers get paid so much. Very few can handle pressure well. Infact, thats the key to beating the great QBs - getting hits on them and forcing them out of their comfort zone

LOL!!! No one can perform under the Giants front four pressure...ouch, they hurt anyways. The truth is, even when we were in Eli, Rodgers, Brees, and even some of the suckier guys faces they made plays. Our guys pull up because they are not close enough to still make that hit like Tuck, Osi, and JPP. Different scenario meyer, but thanks for trying to ease the pain around here.

You have to shoot for a sack to even get a pressure. Our guys shoot for the pressure and maybe get a hurry.