Union Asks Nfl To Delay Punishing Saints

falcon057

Union asks NFL to delay punishing Saints

storypage_APlogo_01.png

Share This Story

Updated Mar 13, 2012 5:06 PM ET

NEW YORK (AP)

The players' union wants the NFL to delay announcing any punishment to the New Orleans Saints for their bounty program until it can conduct its own investigation.

NFLPA spokesman George Atallah told The Associated Press on Tuesday that ''We asked the league to hold off on any punishment until our information gathering was completed.''

The union said last week that members of its legal team would investigate the program the NFL says gave thousands of dollars in payoffs to players for hits that knocked targeted opponents out of games. The NFL said the amounts reached their height in 2009, the season the Saints won the Super Bowl.

Former Saints assistant coach Gregg Williams, now defensive coordinator of the Rams, has admitted to and apologized for running the program.

Saints owner Tom Benson and coach Sean Payton met with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Monday after requesting a meeting, the team said.

Almost a week after the NFL pointed to them for failing to stop the bounty program involving some two dozen Saints players, Payton and general manager Mickey Loomis apologized and took the blame for violations that ''happened under our watch.''

''These are serious violations and we understand the negative impact it has had on our game,'' Payton and Loomis said. ''Both of us have made it clear within our organization that this will never happen again, and make that same promise to the NFL and most importantly to all of our fans.''

Payton and Loomis also said New Orleans owner Tom Benson ''had nothing to do'' with the bounty pool.

Punishments to the Saints, Williams and players involved could include suspensions, fines and loss of draft picks.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gritz

Something tells me Emperor Goodell is going to hand down the punishment this week.

I read somewhere that it will be done before March 23rd....so yeah, the window is closing......hopefully on the Taints' fingers.

All I know is that the punishment should be less than what the Patriots got for Spygate. The Patriots actually cheated, the Saints didn't...

the Saints cheated by paying the plyers more than they were allowed by NFL rules.

They also intentionally tried to injure people for money. Outside of the NFL, that could be considered a felony.

All I know is that the punishment should be less than what the Patriots got for Spygate. The Patriots actually cheated, the Saints didn't...

true.........however, Spygate was an incident unto itself.

Right now....TODAY......there are MULTIPLE lawsuits filed by injured NFL players suing the NFL over safety issues and charging that the NFL did not adequately protect its players from concussions and brain injury. These lawsuits (win or lose) will cost the NFL millions and millions of dollars.

NFL is grandstanding now and will drop the hammer on Saints and Saints players to try and show they are taking a tough stance towards player safety.

Players contributed their own money to the bounty pool. It wasn't funded by the team.

I thought it was organized by a coach, as well as some of the money was from the coach?

Not to mention people unrealted to the team were making contributions to the pool. A 2x felon at that!

First, New England did absolutely nothing that the other 31 teams don't do. They just did it in a manner that was not "accepted" and they lied about doing that way.

Second, much of what was said was going on was proven to be false. Goodall came down on the Pats because they were being sneaky and lied when initially confronted.

Third, what the Aint's did was blatantly against the rules and they were told to stop as far back as two years ago.

To think about what the Aint's did as being less serious as what the Patriots did is just ridiculous.

NFLPA - "Mr. Goodell, we were wondering if you could delay punishing the Saints until we are finished with our investigation?"

ROGER GOODELL - "HaHa! That's a good one DeMaurice. Why don't you shut your pie hole and get out of my way! The freight train is coming for the Saints and you DON'T want to be in the way!"

Goodell shoots a double bird and hangs up the phone...

*Click*

The only thing the " union " needs to concern itself with is the players fines and suspensions. Any punishment to the organization as a whole is the commissioners discretion.

You are exactly right and I don't think the Commish will delay as it would be a sign of weakness in my opinion. Sock it to 'em asap!

true.........however, Spygate was an incident unto itself.

Right now....TODAY......there are MULTIPLE lawsuits filed by injured NFL players suing the NFL over safety issues and charging that the NFL did not adequately protect its players from concussions and brain injury. These lawsuits (win or lose) will cost the NFL millions and millions of dollars.

NFL is grandstanding now and will drop the hammer on Saints and Saints players to try and show they are taking a tough stance towards player safety.

Not True. There is at least two specific rules that state that teams cannot organize a pool or system to pay for performance and a rule against the intention intent to injure.

In addition, Goodall told them to stop and it was organized by a coach and supported by the head coach and GM.

As far as I read there was not a single rule broken by the Patriots, it was just considered unsportsmanlike.

WRONG. .........Cheating is breaking the rules or regulations for personal gain. Saints cheated.

Guest Negatorris

If this were the Falcons, we would have been severely punished the day after the league announced our Bounty Program.

Gregg Williams decided who got what from the pool of money. Even if Williams had contributed, it's still his money, not the teams.

Not very smart are we? Greg Williams was employed by the Saints football team, which is bound to the constitution and by-laws of the NFL. The rules are very specific about pay for performance pools, or " bounty pools " , whatever the term may be. AS an employee of a signatory team of the NFL charter , Coach Williams was , in fact breaking the rules. He knew and has admitted as much that he was aware it was a violation. Yet, he , the head coach and the G.M. refused to halt it once warned by the league office. So, yes the organization as a whole is culpable.

cant wait to see how mis-treated Brees get this year, i wish they had to play Minnesota every week. ooh and nicks is gone too, even better. i hope all 13 teams they play pumble the **** out of brees, i used to like and respect NO when under Haslett, i hate those bastitches now.

Guest Gritz

i hate those bastitches now.

You're late to the party brother....I've always hated the Taints and the vast majority of their fans.

If this were the Falcons, we would have been severely punished the day after the league announced our Bounty Program.

while this may be overstating things a bit, I do believe that this entire event being centered around the Saints has not recieved the immediate rammifications that it might have being commited by some other team. However, I believe the majority of the delay centers around the fact that it is unprescedented - and thus needs careful consideration to both deter future incidents and not overreact to the incident itself. They should and will be punished, but no sense in handing down judgement without some thought behind it.