An Interesting Trend In Free Agency That Fos Ignore At Their Peril.

paulitik

How many Running Backs signed today? How many huge trades for RBs were there today?

What were the top 2 positions in demand today, when the 4pm Free Agency chum hit the water and the Free Agency feeding frenzy began?

What was the biggest trade? The biggest signing? What will be the biggest signings of the FA period be?

What do they all revolve around?

The passing game. Today was the day of signing Wide Receivers, Cornerbacks, and teams posturing to get elite pass rushers and QBs.

Where are the teams tripping over each other to sign the big road grating OLineman that's "okay" in Pass protection? The DTs that are great run stuffers?

Headlines tomorrow will feature names like Brandon Marshall, Mario Williams, Peyton Manning, Courtland Finnegan, Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon. Not Vince Manuwai or Kendall Langford.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be alarmist, but when I hear the Falcons are interested in a run stuffing DT in Kendall Langford when this team are at the bottom of the league stopping the pass, that concerns me. It's still early, and by no means am I saying we aren't going to address our issues.

When we sign a OG in Manuwai who missed 2011, and was known as a better Run Blocker than pass protector, that concerns me. The Saints are in cap trouble, and tried to keep Nicks, and will most likely get Grubbs. I don't see how you can look at the utter failure that was Joe Hawley, Garrett Reynolds, and Sam Baker last season and just put a band aid on it, or hope the new OL coach can "coach them up". It is irresponsible for us to not even try and get the best talent we can considering our lack of draft picks and performance of our OL. We should be at least be trying to snag Grubbs.

Why did the Bucs hold off giving Curtis Lofton that big paycheck? Because he is a liability against the pass.

Mike Smith's obsession with stopping the run, and running the ball is becoming more archaic by the day.

By no means am I saying that we need to give up on the power run game, or trying to stop the run. This isn't a black and white issue. Of course the run game will always be integral to the NFL. It's just that the passing game is what brings you championships now.

I'm just saying, being the 6th best team against the run, when you are in the 20s against the pass is meaningless. We need to address the pass defense, and keeping Matt Ryan upright, any issues concerning the run game need to be on the back burner.

I look at the NFC, and I see the Skins, Bears, and Bucs desperately trying to catch up to their division rivals. The NFC is going to be nuts, and being a run first team that's emphasis is stopping the run ain't going to cut it folks.

We need to focus every resource we can on the pass. There is no draft pick or Free agent or trade that should be considered with the run game in mind as the focus of the pick.

It's time to catch up to the times.

The same guys downplaying the need for defense against the pass are the same ones clamouring just for the OT. You need both.

I think this is very true. But part of the issue is that our scheme under Van Gorder was very predictable and open to the pass. How much of inability to stop good qbs was a lack of talent, and how much of it was a scheme that didn't disrupt routes, attempt to disguise anything, or aggressively and intelligently attack?

We had a good passrusher in Abe, and average passrusher in Ray Edwards, and decent complimentary rushers in Babs/Sidburry/Biermann. We have OLB's that could rush, and cover. We have one of the best Cb's in the NFL in Grimes, and one who was very good when he played in a press scheme.

To me, that should have been enough, in theory, to be a quality defense against the pass. We were not. Therefore, going to Nolan might be enough to REALLY address a lot of these issues. Losing Abe hurts. We NEED to add another quality passrusher, but it doesn't necessarily need to be Williams.

The same guys downplaying the need for defense against the pass are the same ones clamouring just for the OT. You need both.

Exactly. The reason I was on board with Mario, was because he is one of the few players that improve an entire defense. He would cause DCs to game plan different. He would make the DL better, and really help out our secondary. He could help make Dunta Robinson's and Thomas Decoud's hotseats a little cooler. He would actually open up opportunities for Kroy, Sid, Ray,and Spoon to get more QB pressure. It was the easiest way for us to address our pass rush woes, because he was by far the best defensive player available in FA or the draft, especially considering our needs.

My logic was, that we could find a great starting OG at 55. I really wanted to make a run at Nicks, but if we could get Mario, the draft was a suitable alternative. There is no way we get an elite pass rusher, or LT in the draft unless we move up to the top half of the 1st round. Even if we find a starting quality LT, we don't have the supporting cast to help him out. Then you grab Marcus McNeil, a pro-bowl LT who will come cheap because of injury, and use Svitek until he's ready.

If we couldn't get Mario, we should have at least tried for Nicks. Then you get Solai, and transition the D to more of a 3-4. You might be able to find a suitable OLB at 55. That or you get Wimbley, and find a fatty NT in the 2nd round.

we need help on both lines. I have never disputed that. The fact of the matter is we have ZERO pass rush now without John Abraham. I know our O-line was shaky at best, but we aren't going to be able to stop a nose bleed on defense just like last year. And basically what is happening here if we don't pick some guys up to give us a pass rush is we are getting ready to run the same team out there onto the field that we did last season. Last seasons team wasn't good enough too get it done. This seasons team is going to be missing the best two defenders we had off of that team. You do the math

interesting Post.

Let me address something if we do indeed get Langford it is not just for stopping the rush, but it is also pass rush.

Now himself will not not be a 10 sack guy but the linebacker coming off him while he ties up a tackle could be.

you look at the steelers and their linemen do not get many sacks.....but they are almost always near the top of the league in sacks.

How??

They use their linemen to tie up blockers to allow their blitzing back 7 to get to the qb.

Even using the dolphins last year, they had 41 sacks and not anyone with more then 8.5.

Like Pickles said, a lot of this is going to come down to Nolan and how aggressive he is, If he is aggressive and a guy like spoon back there having a guy like Langford who can tie up blockers increases our pass rush.

I'm not worried at all about the defense. as I've said before, BVG ran the best 1st & 2nd down defense know to man, then on 3rd down we rushed 3 with a middle LB who was a liability in coverage while dropping our CBs 10 yards off the ball, and teams still wasn't scoring on us at will. we gave up 13 sacks the first 3 games, finished the season giving up 26 with the most predictable offense in the league. once again, the line ain't as big of a deal as people think. plus the line is automatically better by the factor of the unknown.

I'm not worried at all about the defense. as I've said before, BVG ran the best 1st & 2nd down defense know to man, then on 3rd down we rushed 3 with a middle LB who was a liability in coverage while dropping our CBs 10 yards off the ball, and teams still wasn't scoring on us at will. we gave up 13 sacks the first 3 games, finished the season giving up 26 with the most predictable offense in the league. once again, the line ain't as big of a deal as people think. plus the line is automatically better by the factor of the unknown.

I'm not as worried about the Defense, if we still have John Abraham. Our 2011 defense returning without our best pass rusher, concerns me. I don't think Nolan can be that much of a miracle worker. If Abe was here, I'd want Mario, but I wouldn't be campaigning for him. I'd be all over signing Carl Nicks. If we re-sign Abe, we can focus on the OL. John Abraham leaving is the issue

I'm not as worried about the Defense, if we still have John Abraham. Our 2011 defense returning without our best pass rusher, concerns me. I don't think Nolan can be that much of a miracle worker. If Abe was here, I'd want Mario, but I wouldn't be campaigning for him. I'd be all over signing Carl Nicks. If we re-sign Abe, we can focus on the OL. John Abraham leaving is the issue

the thing that keeps me at ease is that I see the production that Nolan got from Elvis Dumervil & Cameron Wake & we basically have bigger stronger clones in Bierman & Sidbury is actually faster than Dumervil. plus I think Nolan can get way more out of ray Edwards than BVG ever could. the missing piece to me is a super penetrating DT. Carl Nicks is cool but not being with the media darling Saints, he'll probably get called for all the holding he does

the thing that keeps me at ease is that I see the production that Nolan got from Elvis Dumervil & Cameron Wake & we basically have bigger stronger clones in Bierman & Sidbury is actually faster than Dumervil. plus I think Nolan can get way more out of ray Edwards than BVG ever could. the missing piece to me is a super penetrating DT. Carl Nicks is cool but not being with the media darling Saints, he'll probably get called for all the holding he does

I agree about Nolan, but is banking on Sid and Biermann a risk that TD and Smitty are willing to risk their jobs over? I'm not so sure.

I agree about Nolan, but is banking on Sid and Biermann a risk that TD and Smitty are willing to risk their jobs over? I'm not so sure.

I don't think they will be banking on JUST those 2.

I gotta admit I am looking forward to see Sid in Nolans defense.

Dumerville is a GREAT comparison.

That is why adding a guy like Langford is actually not a bad idea.

I

it's the whole of the parts. those guys were pretty good in the limited time they played. Spoon is a beast & Nick quietly out-produced media darling Clay Mathews in 2010 & was on pace to do so again before injury. Corey Peters is very solid and I'm confused on Jerry. how could he beast so hard coming out of college then struggle so bad? I still think that beast is in there and needs to be awakened. now it's true there's a chance these guys flame out BUT how sweet would it be if Nolan worked Sid & Bierman into double digit sack machines?

Any DT we pick up would be needed depth. These recent picks have been injured and underwhelming mostly, other than Peters and Walker who can both get washed out in the mix. Add to this the recent regression of Babineaux since his weed arrest and you see we aren't nearly as solid as our top 10 run D ranking would seem to attest to.

I

I disagree that Dumerville is a good comparison. I think it's an awful comparison.

What's the 1st thing the FO & Coach Smith said when we hired Nolan? That we're NOT going to the 3-4.

What did Nolan do to improve Dumerville in Denver? Changed the D from a 4-3 where Dumerville was a RDE to a 3-4 where he was an OLB. Here is Denver's initial 2008 depth chart.

Now if we change schemes, which I'm all for, then absolutely at this point a great comparison, but if we're sticking with the 4-3 don't expect anywhere near those type of results.

I

What will Langford add that Babineaux, Jerry, Walker, or Peters doesn't? I don't see how adding a DE that would be a 4-3 DT would be such a help, when we have 3 4-3 DTs, that might be suitable DEs in a 3-4? I get the idea of adding a 355 lb DT who can be a NT in Soliai, I don't understand adding another 300 lb DT in Langford. Ray Edwards could be a 3-4 DE. Almost every DT we have is a clone of Langford.

What will Langford add that Babineaux, Jerry, Walker, or Peters doesn't? I don't see how adding a DE that would be a 4-3 DT would be such a help, when we have 3 4-3 DTs, that might be suitable DEs in a 3-4? I get the idea of adding a 355 lb DT who can be a NT in Soliai, I don't understand adding another 300 lb DT in Langford. Ray Edwards could be a 3-4 DE. Almost every DT we have is a clone of Langford.

I agree with all this. in fact the only DT I'd like to see us pick up is Soliai. that would give Nolan so many possibilities as to what he could do with this defense. in fact while everyone's clamoring over Mario, I'd rather just have Soliai, but I guess that's why I'm not the GM lol

He adds just another body. Another solid guy to rotate with.

PLUS bringing n a guy like him helps our guys in a transition. with terminology and such.:)

I disagree that Dumerville is a good comparison. I think it's an awful comparison.

What's the 1st thing the FO & Coach Smith said when we hired Nolan? That we're NOT going to the 3-4.

What did Nolan do to improve Dumerville in Denver? Changed the D from a 4-3 where Dumerville was a RDE to a 3-4 where he was an OLB. Here is Denver's initial 2008 depth chart.

Now if we change schemes, which I'm all for, then absolutely at this point a great comparison, but if we're sticking with the 4-3 don't expect anywhere near those type of results.

He does not have to transition to a complete 3-4, we can have special packaged where Sid is in coming off the edge.

He had 4.5 sacks last year n VERY limited time.

I think he can have 7-8 in a system like Nolan's.... If Jason Taylor can get 7 with as many steps as he lost I think Sid can do as much.

I have said it over and over and over again and I'll say it again. Mike Smith wants to play 1970's style of football and go out and win games 17-14 when that crap doesn't work now days. You need to be able to score points to win games in this day and age of football and points come out of the passing game.

The Falcons OL isn't that big a deal? The OL is the reason the Falcons didn't beat the Giants. Point blank period. If the OL was any good we wouldn't have gotten stuffed on 3 major game changing plays. If the OL was any good Matt Ryan wouldn't have been running for his life on nearly every pass attempt in the game and Mularkey [might have, might not have] called for passes longer than 5 yards.